Licensure in CANADA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

overseas

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi friends ..i am a international dentist form Asia..I would like to know how to apply for DDS program or how to get Full Licensure to practise Dentistry in Canada.? :mad:
is there a system like to submit our papers to a similiar agency like the ECE in the US.? i hve no idea what to do :(
Do help me out guys..any web links--how to go with the dream of setling in Canada..?? :confused:

Thankyou all very much guys...looking forward for all your answers..

Members don't see this ad.

overseas said:
hi friends ..i am a international dentist form Asia..I would like to know how to apply for DDS program or how to get Full Licensure to practise Dentistry in Canada.? :mad:
is there a system like to submit our papers to a similiar agency like the ECE in the US.? i hve no idea what to do :(
Do help me out guys..any web links--how to go with the dream of setling in Canada..?? :confused:

Thankyou all very much guys...looking forward for all your answers..

Welcome to Canada. Following is the site which has all the info you require:
http://www.acfd.ca/
Go through the threads on forum as well to get more info. Best of luck.

Gurminder

Gurminder said:
Welcome to Canada. Following is the site which has all the info you require:
http://www.acfd.ca/
Go through the threads on forum as well to get more info. Best of luck.

Gurminder

hi gurminder.. :) thanks for that.
ya, i went to acfd.ca & found there are dates in May aswell as sep 2006. i plan to rite in Sep "06
I am from India. Would you give an idea regarding what type of Visa i should apply to come to Canada to rite the exam..?? :confused: :mad: i dnt have nay relatives/ friends there in CANada.. :(

thankyou very much, doctor..

Members don't see this ad :)
hi overseas,
if u r not permanent resident / citizen of canada u cannot write ACFD exam. u can sit for usa ndb even if u r visitor. i hope tht answers ur qusetion.

overseas said:
hi gurminder.. :) thanks for that.
ya, i went to acfd.ca & found there are dates in May aswell as sep 2006. i plan to rite in Sep "06
I am from India. Would you give an idea regarding what type of Visa i should apply to come to Canada to rite the exam..?? :confused: :mad: i dnt have nay relatives/ friends there in CANada.. :(

thankyou very much, doctor..

Hi Overseas!

If you dont have any relatives in canada dont even think about EE, start studing NBDE Part 1. Moreover if you are planning to get married in Canada(that is if you are not married) then also there are not many seats available to accomodate foreign dentists.

Hi overseas,
I agree to what others have to say in this thread. Definately coming to canada is a lot easier than migrating to USA. But believe me if u r coming here on students visas, no. 1 is that u cannot sit for the ACFD exam and secondly even if u r coming here on a PR(permanent resident) visa donot waste ur time in giving ACFD. Believe me its ridiculous exam and no. of seats in Canada is minimal compared to the applicants each yr. I myself gave the exam 4 times. Higest I could reach was 86%(believe me thats a good score for ACFD). But even then I could not gain admission anywhere in whole of Canada. So if u end up coming here on visitors or student visa I dont think u can proceed further with ur dental career in Canada. But yes I think u r lucky enough as from now on U can sit for computer based part 1 in canada also. So research on ur prospects and think about giving part 1/2 in canada, and then go and study in USA. :thumbup:

all the best.

Being in Canada for a while, I can tell you what a waste is for foreign trained professionals. For dentist, they have thousands applying each year for something like 40 seats in 4 and 1/2 schools. Then, if you can make it in Canada, the local mafia is charging twice for their services, from accountants I can tell you an average dentist makes about 500K a year (but that is a little dirty secret, and you need to talk to accountants to get this, not to Canadian dentist, poor little things ...).

What drives me crazy is how everyone loves Canada so much as even when they are accepted, eventually, into the US schools, most of them still think back of the great opportunities that they missed in the much better Canada.

And that is nothing compared to what the doctors have to put up with. This year, after 20 years of stagnation, Alberta tripled the number of foreign doctors admitted to their program. It was BIG news everywhere. Few know that they went from 4 places to 12 ...

Regards,

skap said:
Hi overseas,
I agree to what others have to say in this thread. Definately coming to canada is a lot easier than migrating to USA. But believe me if u r coming here on students visas, no. 1 is that u cannot sit for the ACFD exam and secondly even if u r coming here on a PR(permanent resident) visa donot waste ur time in giving ACFD. Believe me its ridiculous exam and no. of seats in Canada is minimal compared to the applicants each yr. I myself gave the exam 4 times. Higest I could reach was 86%(believe me thats a good score for ACFD). But even then I could not gain admission anywhere in whole of Canada. So if u end up coming here on visitors or student visa I dont think u can proceed further with ur dental career in Canada. But yes I think u r lucky enough as from now on U can sit for computer based part 1 in canada also. So research on ur prospects and think about giving part 1/2 in canada, and then go and study in USA. :thumbup:

all the best.
hi
why did they not take u with86% i m going to give ee in may first time i m really scared,then who all qualify for admissions.what should be the next option if not getting in QP
plz reply bac

Hi,
I am sorry, I didnt mean to scare u or discourage u. But believe me what ever I have mentioned before is the harsh side of the plight of foriegn dentists in canada.I am not saying that u will never get in to QP, yes if u score good(>86) and above that if ur luck is in ur favour u might end up in one of the QP. If u have good work experience in ur home country(5 yrs) it will ease things for u. Well this is ur first time so give in ur best shot and pray to God. If at all u dont make it in to any of the QP(hope u will) then give ur part1&2, chance are pretty good to get admission somewhere in US cos they have many schools there, and then later on its u who have to decide to stay there or come back to Canada as all US programs are accredited by CDA. So dont get scared or discouraged, right now give ur best for ACFD .
Best. :thumbup:

silviut said:
Being in Canada for a while, I can tell you what a waste is for foreign trained professionals. For dentist, they have thousands applying each year for something like 40 seats in 4 and 1/2 schools. Then, if you can make it in Canada, the local mafia is charging twice for their services, from accountants I can tell you an average dentist makes about 500K a year (but that is a little dirty secret, and you need to talk to accountants to get this, not to Canadian dentist, poor little things ...).

What drives me crazy is how everyone loves Canada so much as even when they are accepted, eventually, into the US schools, most of them still think back of the great opportunities that they missed in the much better Canada.

And that is nothing compared to what the doctors have to put up with. This year, after 20 years of stagnation, Alberta tripled the number of foreign doctors admitted to their program. It was BIG news everywhere. Few know that they went from 4 places to 12 ...

Regards,

Yeah, everyone knows there is more corruption in Canada than the US :rolleyes:

hi guys
i know its really hard to get into a canadian dental school.firstly ,i feel the acfd exam is real vague with funny question and lotz many repeated ones from those booklets available on thier site.then if u r lucky enoygh to get ahigh score[above 85% is pretty high in thgis exam as its percentage based ]
u never know u'll be able to get through.its a tough battle here in canada with only 67 seats[i'm not including french universities in it and also not macgill] .u really have to be perfect from every point of view.Interviews matter ,u'r clinical skill matters and to halifax u'r writing abilities also matter.but i wont call it .........IMPOSSIBLE.u'r first step should be to score high in acfd and then get asystem at home to practice on typodonts/mannikins.try to learn ab what paritcular dental school is looking for.discuss the interview qusetions of those particular dental schools.practice for those particular preps for the clinical assessment of different scools.and i guess if u r perfect .....nothing can stop u from being successful.only ahigh score wont help,u need to put in lots of effort here in canada bec for everyone ,i guess,its not possible to to move to land of more oppurtunities[us].so, don't loose hope guys.just work hard for it. i could'nt get throgh the school where i wanted to be but i have almost made in one school and made it in other. i 'm able to achieve it in my first attempt witin less than a year's stay in canada.all i know is .....having a fair amount of information ab the admission procedures and working dedicatedly on it is something needed to be successful.

rest,if u have any question ab the exam or things rel;ated to it,i can help u qwith that.
good luck

gag said:
hi guys
i know its really hard to get into a canadian dental school.firstly ,i feel the acfd exam is real vague with funny question and lotz many repeated ones from those booklets available on thier site.then if u r lucky enoygh to get ahigh score[above 85% is pretty high in thgis exam as its percentage based ]
u never know u'll be able to get through.its a tough battle here in canada with only 67 seats[i'm not including french universities in it and also not macgill] .u really have to be perfect from every point of view.Interviews matter ,u'r clinical skill matters and to halifax u'r writing abilities also matter.but i wont call it .........IMPOSSIBLE.u'r first step should be to score high in acfd and then get asystem at home to practice on typodonts/mannikins.try to learn ab what paritcular dental school is looking for.discuss the interview qusetions of those particular dental schools.practice for those particular preps for the clinical assessment of different scools.and i guess if u r perfect .....nothing can stop u from being successful.only ahigh score wont help,u need to put in lots of effort here in canada bec for everyone ,i guess,its not possible to to move to land of more oppurtunities[us].so, don't loose hope guys.just work hard for it. i could'nt get throgh the school where i wanted to be but i have almost made in one school and made it in other. i 'm able to achieve it in my first attempt witin less than a year's stay in canada.all i know is .....having a fair amount of information ab the admission procedures and working dedicatedly on it is something needed to be successful.

rest,if u have any question ab the exam or things rel;ated to it,i can help u qwith that.
good luck

check ur pm

Reading again this post – sure, nothing is IMPOSSIBLE – there is a chance that, even if I am not born in the US, I might become president. Who can predict the future? There is an even higher chance (compared to myself becoming a US president) that one might be admitted in Canada’s dental mafia – they do get some people in every year, after all. Everything is possible, after all, but not very likely.

This is why many of the people posting on this site are Canadians – I found that many actually do live in Toronto, which is amazing considering the size differences. When I need dental material I just check the address and meet with them in person. Do you want to know why – because their US equivalents have long moved up the chain.

The problem is that in Canada nobody recognizes a problem, is like the former communist block – there are no problems, how they be fixed then? Northern Ontario people have no doctors (in the area of 1000 more needed) yet the foreign doctors drive the cabs in Toronto because the medical Canadian mafia thinks nobody can match their skills ever. And then Canadians are the most vocal group when it comes to complaining about free trade.

For the record, in Canada, foreign dental students must have their diplomas assessed. Most of them later in life (after figuring how the system really works) think of re-starting over again and just getting the 4 years undergraduate program – not impossible in US (just pointless). But impossible in Canada – ONE CANNOT APPLY to Dental Undergraduate full program while having a valid dental diploma from other country – because, you see, their diploma is RECOGNIZED in Canada. They just cannot work in Canada. Figure it out …

And then, the same students move to the US, where they eventually get into dental, but still keep on remembering the gratest country that Canada is. Will not bother you anymore with my theory as to why this happens though …

Good luck to all, tonight I will buy a lottery ticket, my only way to hop South of the border …

Hey Guys

Can someone clarify me,If a person who had D.D.S. in U.S. ,eligible to practice in Canada?Would appreciate any info.

Thnx.

ocdentist said:
Hey Guys

Can someone clarify me,If a person who had D.D.S. in U.S. ,eligible to practice in Canada?Would appreciate any info.

Thnx.

yes u can ...u need to give state license to exam ..that all.