This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

confusedstudent2195

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I am currently in the clinical portion of nursing school. I am in my first semester, after prereqs where we are learning what nurses do, assessment, etc. This has caused a debate in my head. While learning about the nursing duties I find myself more and more wanting to do what the doctor does that my nursing professors talk about. I am not necessarily as interested in the patient care aspect than I am in the actual medical diagnosis, why the patient is sick, and I love microbiology. The patient care is not where my interest seems to lie, basically. Next semester we actually get to go to the hospital and assess real patients and I was thinking I should stay one more semester to see what it's like in the "real world". My peers say it gets better and they all absolutely hated first semester and where like "what the F am I even doing?".

So what I'm trying to figure out is should I continue the nursing route and try to become a PA if it's not for me or should I continue with nursing to become an M.D.? What are the pros and cons of both? Has anyone does these routes?

Or should I just say forget nursing, change major and decide PA vs MD route down the road as I continue my undergrad?

I am 20 with a 3.79 GPA. Finances aren't an issue because I would rather do what I ultimately will love than be miserable/wishing I did more with my life. Shadowing is easy to say but not the easiest thing to get accomplished with the demands of nursing school.

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't feel satisfied with nursing, explore other options. However, I wouldn't go around saying that you "aren't interested in the patient care aspect", because patient care is what being a doctor is about. Just a different aspect of patient care.

Reactions: 1 user
As far as I can tell nursing includes very little diagnosis and decision making. If that is your main interest I would just go md or pa right now, no need to wait