epidural man

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2007
San Diego
Status
Attending Physician
I don't have cable - haven't paid for it for many many years (but I don't mind missing ESPN).

Instead, I pay for streaming services.

There are so many great scripted television shows. I can't believe reality tv exists.

Okay, so I have seen some amazing shows recently that perhaps you haven't heard of - but need to check out. The list is small.

QuickDraw (very funny...very clever) - HULU
Deadbeat (funny) - HULU
Brink (funny and exciting) - HBO
Bored to Death (funny and interesting. Ted Danson is really a great actor and really fun to watch) - HBO
Parks and Recreations (Give it another try....first season was so so..they really caught their stride after this) -
Archer - (if it wasn't for arrested development - probably would be my all-time favorite)
The Mindy Project - (if you like the Office, Mindy was head writer...I liked it)
Wet American Hot Summer -if you plan on watching this - YOU HAVE TO watch the movie first. Otherwise the season will seem strange and kind of dumb - but after the movie, the season is really awesome. Seriously...this is a great show (but not for everyone).

waterhammer

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
May 7, 2009
Illinois
Status
Attending Physician
Yes, especially on 24 hr in-house ob call. Shows that I've enjoyed recently:

- True Detective (HBO) - yes, season 2 not as good, but still enjoyable
- Narcos (Netflix) - about the 80's Columbian cocaine trade. Also, check out the documentary "Cocaine Cowboys" if this stuff interests you.
- The Young Doctor's Notebook (BBC, on Netflix) - funny, about a young doctor in early 1900's Russia (Jon Hamm and Harry Potter play the doctor)
- Rick & Morty (Cartoon Network) - from the creator of Community, funny
- agree on Wet Hot American Summer
- Game of Thrones (HBO) - need mentioning?

okayplayer

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
May 15, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
We are HBO and Comedy Central/FX fans. I don't really need any other channels except for live sports.

Drama:
True Detective (second season did suck)
Real Sports
Hard Knocks

Comedy:
Louie
Inside Amy Schumer
Drunk History
Always Sunny
Last Week Tonight with John Oliver
Real Time with Bill Maher

ericL

10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2005
Where the wild things are
Status
Resident [Any Field]
So I'm not usually a USA guy but stumbled across a show called Mr. Robot. Quite easily one of the best seasons of TV since Sopranos, or The Wire. Many of the central themes of Fight Club but done better (if possible). Seriously worth your time.

bashwell

5+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Second Parks and Rec (where Chris Pratt is totally different than he is in Guardians of the Galaxy or Jurassic World) and also Mr. Robot (I'm a former CS major, this rings truer to how it's like to be a hacker than most other shows or movies I've seen).

I also really enjoyed Netflix's Daredevil. Surprisingly well made. Easily one of the best superhero tv series I've ever seen if not the best. Definitely better Agents of SHIELD, Gotham, even Flash and Arrow and Agent Carter (although I really enjoyed Agent Carter too).

The Man in the High Castle has only premiered its pilot. But it's really promising. A Ridley Scott production. An alternate future where the Axis (Nazis and Imperial Japan) won WW2.

JobsFan

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2005
australia
Status
Attending Physician
netflix
house of cards
fargo series
just started narcos - looks good so far

Pooh & Annie

10+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
Netflix (in addition to a lot of the stuff above)-
Peaky Blinders (if you liked boardwalk empire, you'll like it)
Unbreakable kimmy Schmidt (awesome if you like parks n rec or 30 rock)

Cable/on demand (in addition to the usual stuff like modern family n family guy)-
Deutschland 1983 (English subtitles, Cold War espionage from more of an East German perspective)
American dad (way better one liners than family guy)
Chris Matthews (he's liberal but the most objective talking head as far as I can tell)
Bobs burgers
Larry Wilmore

There are also kick-ass old shows on antenna tv like Sanford n son, the Jeffersons, and all in the family. Family ties coming pretty soon. I used to love that show when I was a kid.

HORRENDOUS SHOWS-
Two broke girls (How the [email protected]&$ has this show lasted?! EVERY LINE is poorly veiled sexual innuendo. Really poorly written)
The Odd Couple (Thomas Lennon is too funny to be on this poorly written show)

ZzzPlz

ASA Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2010
Status
Attending Physician
Agree with most of above. Also lots of shows I've never heard of and I'd be interested to check out.

To add:

Walking Dead-- another obvious but surprisingly unlisted one thus far. Overall I really enjoy this show. Will admit I almost gave up on it after the third season but the last season was fantastic.

House of Cards-- meh. I about blew my load after the first episode of season 2 but then it went alllllll downhill. Could have easily ended in two seasons and I don't think I would have missed anything.

Reactions: Psai

urge

10+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Best: Vikings, Homeland, Ray Donovan, Game of Thrones

Honorable mention: Mr Robot, Humans, Narcos, Parks and Rec., Modern Family

OP
epidural man

epidural man

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2007
San Diego
Status
Attending Physician
Agree with most of above. Also lots of shows I've never heard of and I'd be interested to check out.

To add:

Walking Dead-- another obvious but surprisingly unlisted one thus far. Overall I really enjoy this show. Will admit I almost gave up on it after the third season but the last season was fantastic.

House of Cards-- meh. I about blew my load after the first episode of season 2 but then it went alllllll downhill. Could have easily ended in two seasons and I don't think I would have missed anything.
True about walking dead...

my point was to list some shows I think most people haven't heard yet. Lots of great shows listed - but are huge blockbuster type shows.

urge

10+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
True about walking dead...

my point was to list some shows I think most people haven't heard yet. Lots of great shows listed - but are huge blockbuster type shows.
Lilyhammer on Netflix is pretty funny.

Direct Laryngoscopy

Account on Hold
15+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2003
NYC
Status
Attending Physician
I recently cut the cord, as I don't watch much channels. We have Hulu and Netflix, and I have a streaming service for my beloved NY Giants and have found a service for my Knicks.

I would highly recommend the Netflix show Narcos if you like to know about the Colombian drug cartels of the 80s and 90s. I've never seen game of thrones or true detective but they have been recommended to me.

PainDrain

5+ Year Member
Aug 26, 2014
Status
Attending Physician
First season of True Detective is some of the best TV acting and plot development I have ever seen. The show sucked me in and I ended up binge watching it. I figured season two would suck because how could they top the first season?

Feb 19, 2012
the shreve
Status
Resident [Any Field]
HBO
-Show Me a Hero (Oscar Isaac is in Xmen and Star Wars in the next year...this guy is about to be huge and he's a great actor)
-Ballers (entertaining...it's entourage but for sports)
-True Detective (season 1 was epic...season 2 was bad with good moments)

Netflix
-Narcos (like Blow the tv show)
-Bojack Horseman (it's a cartoon, but funny as heck)
-Daredevil (it's super dark and bloody...awesome in 4k...and the hero gets the shizzz kicked outta him in nearly every fight but keeps going...oh and Punisher is already cast to show up in season 2)

AMC
-Halt and Catch Fire

bashwell

5+ Year Member
Mar 20, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
A few others not mentioned:
  • Breaking Bad -- I didn't care for the first season but it got a lot better afterwards
  • Community -- hilarious, very "meta"
  • Firefly -- Whedon's classic, canceled after a single season, also watch the movie Serenity
The British are coming:
  • Doctor Who -- a bit more for kids, but still fun to watch if you're into SF
  • Humans -- a remake of the Swedish original
  • IT Crowd -- hilarious comedy about an IT dept
  • Sherlock -- from the BBC, very clever, great modernization of Sherlock Holmes, Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman are household names, from the same creators/writers of Doctor Who
  • Spaced -- the trio of Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, and Edgar Wright

projectpat

amorphous
7+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Agree with many above (HBO, FX, AMC shows). Surprised nobody has mentioned The Knick, Cinemax show starring Clive Owen about surgeons in the 1900s. Loosely based on William Halsted with a touch of House MD (guy abuses coke to stay up to operate/research). Very cool scenery and design in the show. Takes a few episodes to get into

Sep 3, 2015
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
You may be right about that. Because the availability of the shows we watch on TV is easier online