Like ENT but just want to operate!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arashii

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I really liked my experiences with ENT, but at the end of the day I just want to operate. I'm thinking like 2-3 days in the OR and about 2 days in clinic (maybe I have a short attention span, but I can't stand any more than about 2-2.5 clinic days ever)....

...is this even possible in ENT? I get the feeling that people in private practice are operating about 1-2 days a week with 3-4 clinic days. ... or am I just being stupid because in the future (i.e 7 years from now when I have a family, etc.), I really won't WANT to be operating.

ARG! Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd imagine it's very much possible to operate 3 days a week on a regular basis, but probably more so in an academic setting (maybe with a H&N fellowship) than in a private practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
The busiest private practice ENT I know in my area who doesn't have a PA or NP signing up patients for the OR, operates 2 full days a week and has clinic 2 full days a week. Takes 1/2 day to do either clinic or OR depending on need. Takes 1/2 day off.

I think if you have midlevels seeing patients for you, you can definitely increase your OR time. However, that's a controversial topic using PA/NP to do your clinic work--some PCP's do not like consulting an ENT and having someone with a "lesser degree" providing the consult back to them.