Lincoln Memorial University???

Started by willagirl
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is true. I was speaking more about small animal private practice. This past summer I had a client request a script for temaril-p so she could get it at walmart. I had no idea at the time that it was even possible. There are some practices in our area that are charging fees for written prescriptions to try to offset the loss in drug sales since it's becoming so common. I can only imagine it's going to continue and spread to other areas of the profession as well.
If pharmacy is your money maker, you are going to be in for a world of disappointment in the near future as more and more people price shop.

The money makers SHOULD be diagnostics and procedures because those are the time sinks.
 
Anyway we digress. What are your feelings on the use of a humane society instead of a teaching hospital. I was speaking to a former boss of mine and she brought up the point of if you are seeing intakes and general cases you are not going to get any experience with complex cases such as long term management of diabetes or how to treat an Addisonian crisis. Again in five years of teching I have never seen Addison's because we always pushed the animal into Cushings but now after this conversation I have a new found fear of Addison's. Great.

I think shelters are great to do maybe like 1-4 weeks rotations (depending on your interests) to hone spay/neuter skills and to learn about shelter medicine, which is a different approach than individual pet medicine. But I don't think it's a good idea to spend a whole lot more than that... And this is coming from someone who loves shelter medicine.

So my questions would be:

1.) How much of your small animal rotations will you be doing at the shelter?

2.) if the answer to the above is a significant portion, what is the caseload? And how much money/resources can you spend on each sick animal? I think both questions are very important. Even for a shelter that has over 10,000 dogs/cats per year, not that many of those animals have sicknesses other than upper respiratory and kennel cough. If you're treating a bunch of parvo/panleuk outbreaks, that's prob not a shelter you want to learn from... A teaching hospital on any given day has epileptic, diabetic, blocked, renal/heart failure and vomiting/diarrhea, hit by car, bite wound animals to do full work ups on (not even talking about the 'zebra' cases here). It just usually doesnt work out that way in a shelter. So when you find physical exam findings, how much will you be able yo work up? Animals don't stay that long in the shelter so I would imagine that there wouldn't be enough follow up to even know if empirical treatment really made a difference or if you have a chronic underlying disease in many cases.

3.) How much of the shelter's veterinary protocol is set, and how much can you play around with it? If you use the same old anesthesia protocol on every animal, you won't be learning much. Same with preventative medicine.

4.) How will you learn about managing chronic diseases?

5.) How will you learn client communications?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Minner, definitely brings up some good points to consider, and I don't know how frequently these occur in other areas, but my local humane society also has a public clinic. They can't do anything super fancy, but they do dentals/extractions, amputations, mass removals (probably even more now), etc and you still get to develop a relationship with clients and manage the types of cases you are talking about. We definitely don't have as many resources as other hospitals, but you get a decent mix. Maybe if you want to try to use a shelter as a rotation, see if a set up similar to this one is anywhere near by; get the higher surgery volume, but also get to work on client communication and development of treatment plans.
 
Hahahahaha I just read all the way since Christmas on this thread, the tangents, refocus, tangents, refocus. :banana:

squirrel.jpg
 
I was accepted to this school and I'm very excited about it. I am still waiting to see what my other options are but I would have no problem going here. I think it's unfair to solely hate on a new school, why not also hate on universities increasing their class sizes? It's the same concept whether it's an established university or not. I'm sure there is plenty of profit to be made off these two new schools, which is selfish. But it is also selfish to hope and pray that these schools do not succeed for your own benefit. When it comes down to it everybody is shooting for their own dreams; whether that be a DVM or wealth. I think a person is ignorant to think he or she will have a job making excellent money upon graduation anywhere in the states, but I also think it's immature to try to inhibit that person. If a competitive edge helps you into vet school, shouldn't a competitive edge also be necessary after vet school?
 
I was accepted to this school and I'm very excited about it. I am still waiting to see what my other options are but I would have no problem going here. I think it's unfair to solely hate on a new school, why not also hate on universities increasing their class sizes? It's the same concept whether it's an established university or not. I'm sure there is plenty of profit to be made off these two new schools, which is selfish. But it is also selfish to hope and pray that these schools do not succeed for your own benefit. When it comes down to it everybody is shooting for their own dreams; whether that be a DVM or wealth. I think a person is ignorant to think he or she will have a job making excellent money upon graduation anywhere in the states, but I also think it's immature to try to inhibit that person. If a competitive edge helps you into vet school, shouldn't a competitive edge also be necessary after vet school?
you must be fairly new, there are HUNDREDS of posts and discussions covering the distaste for increasing class sizes - there is no hatred bias solely against new schools. field expansion in general is a huge problem, new schools just make up on facet of that.
 
I was accepted to this school and I'm very excited about it. I am still waiting to see what my other options are but I would have no problem going here. I think it's unfair to solely hate on a new school, why not also hate on universities increasing their class sizes? It's the same concept whether it's an established university or not. I'm sure there is plenty of profit to be made off these two new schools, which is selfish. But it is also selfish to hope and pray that these schools do not succeed for your own benefit. When it comes down to it everybody is shooting for their own dreams; whether that be a DVM or wealth. I think a person is ignorant to think he or she will have a job making excellent money upon graduation anywhere in the states, but I also think it's immature to try to inhibit that person. If a competitive edge helps you into vet school, shouldn't a competitive edge also be necessary after vet school?
nobody is hoping the new schools don't succeed, some of us have concerns about them.