Line officer or enlisted to doctor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IgD

The Lorax
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you are a line officer or enlisted corpsmen and take all the medical school pre-requisites on your own time is there anything special you have to do to apply for HPSP or USUHS? Basically you resign at the end of your service obligation and sign up for the new program right?

Would the military let you out of your contract if you "transferred" to the medical corps?

Members don't see this ad.

If you are a line officer or enlisted corpsmen and take all the medical school pre-requisites on your own time is there anything special you have to do to apply for HPSP or USUHS? Basically you resign at the end of your service obligation and sign up for the new program right?

Would the military let you out of your contract if you "transferred" to the medical corps?

When I was at USUHS for my interview I was given an interview by an "ex" E-8 SOF medic. He said he had taken all the requirements and whatnot while enlisted, and once he was accepted to USUHS started all the promotion paperwork. I don't remember the exact details, but the USUHS handbook goes into decent detail about transferring to USUHS as either current enlisted or officer (I didn't read this stuff, cause I would have been a non-prior), but its all there.

Line officer side, very simple. Two roads to applying, while on active duty, and resigned. I've played on both. On active duty, complete physical, new security clearance, all the crap you had to fill out to be an officer in the first place, plus endorsement from you command to leave. Massive pain in the butt. Plus everyone in your command wondering why you want to leave their section. On civilian side, all the same crap, but I rececyled physical. However, not necessarily submitted in one package, so numerous calls to recruitor about what is needed to finish package. Plus interviews with officers about why you are fit to be a naval officer. My personal take, it is easier as a civilian, but they tell you less about what is going on.

So on the officer/ prior officer side of the house, there are a lot of monkey games you are going to face. On the enlisted side of the house, I can only imagine there are more. I hate to say it, but my seven years of experience thinks it is true. All I have to say is be extremely patient, extremely proactive. After all, I recruitor got you into this mess without full disclosure, why should it be different on the O-gang side?

Members don't see this ad :)
wow, apparentally I killed this post.

You got to get accepted first for HPSP or USUHS before you can get approval for transfer. That acceptance letter from an AMA accredited Medical School is the key.

The long road to the acceptance letter is where the real challege lie. If you are able to take science courses while on active duty and still get good grades, by all means. Keep in mind that your military duties will be considered first priority. I took O-Chem while on active duty. Not only I had to do school and work, but also I had to go to PT, formations, ceremonies, training, etc... I eventually got a "B" for the class, but if I had more time to study, I'd probably would have got an "A". Good luck.

Everything counts on getting that acceptance letter. Once you get that, then the recruiter can help you with everything else on getting HPSP. And you need approval from your branch manager for release/transfer if you're on active duty.