Army Officer to HPSP--Rank

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

X46412

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm an active duty Army MAJ with 18 years in, all commissioned. I'll likely be starting med school via HPSP in July of this year. Reading up on the regs it looks like that upon graduation from med school I should be awarded 1/2 credit, so I should start residency as a CPT with 9 years of credit towards 04. I did go to IPAP (the DoD's PA program) from APR 2013 to Jan 2015 and I'm also wondering if I could convince the powers that be to give me full "day for day" credit for this time period.

Anyone with knowledge on this matter, should I expect to start residency as a CPT with 9 years of credit towards MAJ?

Do you think I could get Uncle Sam to give me full day for day credit for the period I was in IPAP?
Thanks for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all, I'm an active duty Army MAJ with 18 years in, all commissioned. I'll likely be starting med school via HPSP in July of this year. Reading up on the regs it looks like that upon graduation from med school I should be awarded 1/2 credit, so I should start residency as a CPT with 9 years of credit towards 04. I did go to IPAP (the DoD's PA program) from APR 2013 to Jan 2015 and I'm also wondering if I could convince the powers that be to give me full "day for day" credit for this time period.

Anyone with knowledge on this matter, should I expect to start residency as a CPT with 9 years of credit towards MAJ?

Do you think I could get Uncle Sam to give me full day for day credit for the period I was in IPAP?
Thanks for your time!
You get credit for all active commissioned service. It can be a pain though. If you have any reserve time, it becomes significantly more difficult, too. If all 18 years counts then you should commission as an O4 with your DOR pushed back 3 years. Make sure that you get a good DA1506 in your file before you leave AD.

Not sure about IPAP since I'm not sure what status you're in while a student there.

Thanks for your reply. The reg I'm looking at states:

(3) Prior commissioned service credit will be calculated first.

b. Prior Commissioned Service Credit. Credit for prior service as a commissioned officer,
other than as a commissioned warrant officer, will be granted to recognize previous
commissioned experience, while maintaining cognizance of the level of professional knowledge,
skill, and experience required at specific grade levels of each health profession. Credit will be
awarded equitably and consistently.

(1) Pursuant to section 533 of Reference (d), a person receiving an original appointment
to serve as a Regular commissioned HPO in any Military Service will be awarded:

(a) Credit on a day-for-day basis for any active commissioned service (AD and full-
time National Guard duty) as an HPO in the professional specialty in which the person is being
appointed. The service may have been performed in any Military Service, the National Oceanic
and Atmospheric Administration, or the United States Public Health Service before the new
appointment.

(b) One-half day of credit for each day of active commissioned service (AD and full-
time National Guard duty) as a commissioned officer but not in the profession in which the
person is being appointed. The service may have been performed in any Military Service, the
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, or the United States Public Health Service
before the new appointment. The Secretary concerned may grant an exception to this provision
and grant day-for-day credit on a case-by-case basis.

(c) Credit on a day-for-day basis for any commissioned service on AD while
participating in an educational program leading to appointment in a specialty in which
constructive credit is awarded, regardless of whether the service is in the professional specialty
in which the person is being appointed.

DoDI 6000.13, December 30, 2015

---------------------------------------------------------------

All of my service was AD commissioned time--18 years. Most of those 18 years was spent in non-medical field. I did attend IPAP (the DoD's PA program) from APR 2013 to Jan 2015, while as a AD officer. I wondering if subPARA (c) above would apply to the IPAP time.

Here's how I read the reg: I'll get at least One-half day of credit for all the the 18 years (once I start residency), and possibly day-for-day credit for the IPAP time.

Anyone disagree?

Members don't see this ad :)
Monetarily it'd be more beneficial to finish my 20, get retirement, use the GI bill for med school, pay back whatever loans I have to take out on own. I've ran the numbers and I'd earn way more money this way.

The cons are:

1. I'm not convinced that just because I was accepted this go around I'd have the same results in a few years, when I retire.
2. I have enough $ saved now that I likely would not have to take out huge loans to go to med school now (living expenses, etc).
3. I'd delay med school until summer of 2024...and a lot could change by then, to include my motivation. I'm one who, if I started this summer I'd certainly finish what I start. But delay this by two years, and even if I could get back into med school, my motivation may be different at that time (not the strongest argument, I know, but it's reality for me).

Monetarily it'd be more beneficial to finish my 20, get retirement, use the GI bill for med school, pay back whatever loans I have to take out on own. I've ran the numbers and I'd earn way more money this way.

The cons are:

1. I'm not convinced that just because I was accepted this go around I'd have the same results in a few years, when I retire.
2. I have enough $ saved now that I likely would not have to take out huge loans to go to med school now (living expenses, etc).
3. I'd delay med school until summer of 2024...and a lot could change by then, to include my motivation. I'm one who, if I started this summer I'd certainly finish what I start. But delay this by two years, and even if I could get back into med school, my motivation may be different at that time (not the strongest argument, I know, but it's reality for me).
Well, those are better reasons than most people have. There’s insight.

Reactions: 1 user