Linezolid-Resistant Staph aureas outbreak in Spain

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Antibiotics should be schedule II.

So, generally speaking, you're willing to no longer have phoning privileges for these medications? Because as it stands now, you can't call in a C-II unless it is an emergency and the original is mailed within a strict, certain time period following said phone call. And, because your patient would have to always bring in an antibiotic script, were antibiotics C-IIs, you're willing to make your sick patient wait even longer at a pharmacy? Way to provide patient care there. 👍 🙄
 
mrsa is overrated....we got plenty of drugs and options to try


the problem is gram - bugs, in which there are no new meds in the pipelines for the next 15 yrs
 
So, generally speaking, you're willing to no longer have phoning privileges for these medications? Because as it stands now, you can't call in a C-II unless it is an emergency and the original is mailed within a strict, certain time period following said phone call. And, because your patient would have to always bring in an antibiotic script, were antibiotics C-IIs, you're willing to make your sick patient wait even longer at a pharmacy? Way to provide patient care there. 👍 🙄
Ok sport, C-III it is. Happy now?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ok sport, C-III it is. Happy now?

Ehhh... handling controlled substance requires additional security measures in most hospitals. Wasting it requires witnesses..storage requires locks. Just hanging a Piggy bag requires a lockable compartment in a pump. Purchase and distribution from manufacturers to wholesalers to end users will require additional shipping and packaging logistics.

It would literally add hundreds of millions of dollars to our healthcare system to implement conversion of antibiotics to a controlled status....for a class of drugs with very little abuse due to addiction.

Sorry sport, no go.
 
Last edited:
Antibiotics should be schedule II.

Man, you guys are coming down hard on a comment that most likely should have been discerned as being made half in jest, half in earnest. I think everyone would agree with the poster's sentiment that the prescribing and distribution of antimicrobials should be made to be more restrictive. Talk about strict interpretation...
 
Man, you guys are coming down hard on a comment that most likely should have been discerned as being made half in jest, half in earnest. I think everyone would agree with the poster's sentiment that the prescribing and distribution of antimicrobials should be made to be more restrictive. Talk about strict interpretation...

Oh shut up... like you've never come down hard on other posters before?:meanie:
 
Can't help you there...this thread is pretty jacked...from LRMRSA to generic Zosyn to favorite Youtube videos to making ABX controlled...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Because, unfortunately, I can take 2 seconds of time in between pages of my evidence-based medicine reading to reply to these, but I can't quest on a game and read simultaneously. 🙁

I'd play tomorrow night, but I'll be seeing the new James Bond. 👍

you have more self control than I do.

We got the new Zelda immediately before winter finals 2nd year, the Wii immediately before spring finals 2nd year, and Mario Kart for the Wii a couple days before spring finals 3rd year...

I just didn't sleep.
 
I thought copying and pasting the same post was quite the original!👍

Okay...maybe. NOT!:meanie:

So, I picked up a guitar last night, too. When I was in Wal-mart close to midnight waiting for the WoW expansion to go on sale, there was a display for Guitar Hero World Tour. So, I played "Heartbreaker" and the game told me at the end of the song "YOU ROCK!" :meanie:
 
Okay...maybe. NOT!:meanie:

So, I picked up a guitar last night, too. When I was in Wal-mart close to midnight waiting for the WoW expansion to go on sale, there was a display for Guitar Hero World Tour. So, I played "Heartbreaker" and the game told me at the end of the song "YOU ROCK!" :meanie:

guitar hero, lame! 👎
 
oh man. I love the GH. I need the new one. and Rock Band.

I've been neglecting my Wii Fit 🙁
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
you have more self control than I do.

We got the new Zelda immediately before winter finals 2nd year, the Wii immediately before spring finals 2nd year, and Mario Kart for the Wii a couple days before spring finals 3rd year...

I just didn't sleep.

we have drugs for obsession.. don't we?
 
I'd just rather antibiotics be prescribed with more discretion than narcotics, that's all. I don't care if someone's getting high but I do care if we collectively allow the emergence of a super-bug that kills us all.
 
I'd just rather antibiotics be prescribed with more discretion than narcotics, that's all. I don't care if someone's getting high but I do care if we collectively allow the emergence of a super-bug that kills us all.


What super-bug are you afraid of that will kill us all? After all, prudent organizations have already restricted broad spectrum antibotics to only Infectious Disease and/or critical care physicians. I would prefer such a program rather than have Abx as controlled status but have all and every physician prescribe it using C-II blanks or as C-III.
 
What super-bug are you afraid of that will kill us all? After all, prudent organizations have already restricted broad spectrum antibotics to only Infectious Disease and/or critical care physicians. I would prefer such a program rather than have Abx as controlled status but have all and every physician prescribe it using C-II blanks or as C-III.

simple stuff, in my area, e coli is more resistant to cipro than ancef, that is SCARY
 
simple stuff, in my area, e coli is more resistant to cipro than ancef, that is SCARY

what's so scary about that? Typical susceptibility of quinolones to e.coli is about 50 to 70%... big deal. Beta-lactams usually fair much better and it's usually in the 90s to high 90 percentile...

Quinolones today aren't the quinolones of the early 90's...