Linezolid-Resistant Staph aureas outbreak in Spain

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Omegadramon

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/582696

First Outbreak of Linezolid-Resistant S aureus in Critically Ill Patients

Barbara L. Jones
INFORMATION FROM INDUSTRY
Educate colleagues about resistant pathogens and intervention strategies
Show us how you would construct a presentation to educate your colleagues about resistant pathogens and intervention strategies. Participate in this interactive program

October 28, 2008 (Washington, DC) — Between mid-April and late-June, 2008, 12 critically ill patients in the intensive-care unit (ICU) of a Madrid hospital were identified by surveillance or diagnostic cultures as having linezolid-resistant (LR) methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA).

A late-breaking abstract describing the outbreak was presented here at the 48th Annual ICAAC/IDSA 46th Annual Meeting, a joint meeting of the American Society for Microbiology and the Infectious Diseases Society of America.

Swift contact isolation, cohorting of patients, use of environmental preventive strategies, and "drastic" reduction of linezolid use enabled the hospital to contain the outbreak. No LR-MRS
Coauthor Miguel Sanchez, MD, PhD, head of the Intensive Care Department at the Hospital Clinico San Carlos and Associate Professor of the Universidad Complutense, in Madrid, Spain, presented the study. He described the patients as male and female medical, surgical, and trauma patients with a mean age of 58.5 years. Each was "well into an ICU stay" (a mean of 34 days ) at the time of the positive index culture. All patients were intubated, had a central venous catheter, and received at least 5 days of broad-spectrum antibiotic therapy. Eleven patients had received intravenous linezolid for a median of 7.5 days. LR-MRSA was responsible for infection in 11 patients: 5 with ventilator-associated pneumonia, 5 with primary bacteremia, and 1 with catheter-related sepsis.

Laboratory findings showed that minimum inhibitory concentrations were above 8 mg/L for linelozid and less than 0.32 for tigecycline and daptomycin. Pulsed-field gel electrophoresis showed an identical pattern for all but 4 strains, which met the 80% criterion for 4 different clones (clone A predominated).

"Once the outbreak was identified, all patients were placed under strict contact isolation and cohorted, and bioprevention measures were instituted hospital-wide," Dr. Sanchez said.

Environmental surfaces were swabbed and healthcare workers fingerprinted. Linezolid use was strictly limited to confirmed cases of MRSA-associated pneumonia. This mandate resulted in a sharp drop in linezolid use — from 202 defined daily doses in April, to 170 in May, to 20 in June, and 25 in July. LR-MRSA infections were thereafter treated only with vancomycin and/or tigecycline.

Fears of a coming increase in LR-MRSA infections are widespread worldwide. "It is a concerning issue and something we're worried about," said Robert Daum, MD, Professor of Pediatrics, Microbiology and Molecular Medicine at the University of Chicago, in Illinois.

But risk can vary by geography and standardized hospital practices. "In general, resistance has been very infrequent — actually quite rare — in the United States. We have not seen anything like this outbreak in [the United States]." Dr. Daum was not involved in the Madrid study, but he was a participant in the panel discussion entitled Update on Community-Associated Methicillin Resistance.

Dr. Daum described factors that might explain differing experiences with linezolid resistance, using his own institution as an example. "At our hospital, we have a very tight grip on linezolid use — you can't get it, you can't use it without calling infectious-disease people first. As a result, our use of it is very minimal in the inpatient setting."

48th Annual ICAAC/IDSA 46th Annual Meeting: A Joint Meeting of the American Society for Microbiology and the Infectious Diseases Society of America: Abstract C2-1835a. Presented October 28, 2008...


So, what new antibiotic does R&D have down the pipeline? It's only a matter of time now...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So, what new antibiotic does R&D have down the pipeline? It's only a matter of time now...

Well, we have rip off Ceftobiprole from J&J getting ready to launch...it covers both MRSA and Pseudomonas...but big deal...Vanco + ready to go generic Zosyn do the same thing a 1/4 the cost.

Now at the end of the day, are we lamenting "wish we had more drugs to cover MRSA......" Nope.. Vanco still works just fine.

I guess it's kinda over for Zyvox...hmmm:meanie:
 
??????? Was Tygacil suppose to cover Pseudomonas? Will this Pseudomonas pump out Tobramycin + Zosyin combination??

I don't think so, I was just randomly doing a pub med search for any significant resistance to the new antibiotics to further my point about how tricky those bugs are.

Tygacil is suppose to cover Acinetobacter, right? I just looked through an Israeli paper saying that there is a "worrisome resistance" to tygacil that is developing.

But as you said, combos are the best bet against these suckers.
 
I don't think so, I was just randomly doing a pub med search for any significant resistance to the new antibiotics to further my point about how tricky those bugs are.

Tygacil is suppose to cover Acinetobacter, right? I just looked through an Israeli paper saying that there is a "worrisome resistance" to tygacil that is developing.

But as you said, combos are the best bet against these suckers.

Tygacil covers resistant acinetobacters... there are Tygacil resistant acinetobacters.. we can Colistin for those..
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What if there's renal insufficiency? 😉

Nephrotoxicity associated with colistin is highly exaggerated, primarily as a consequence of when the drug was actually studied. I usually refrain from saying anything because it keeps prescribers from having the balls to use it.
 
Nephrotoxicity associated with colistin is highly exaggerated, primarily as a consequence of when the drug was actually studied. I usually refrain from saying anything because it keeps prescribers from having the balls to use it.

I noticed the same thing...came across an issue with a patient, moderately impaired renal function, but the dosing was waaaay too high to begin with.
 
I noticed the same thing...came across an issue with a patient, moderately impaired renal function, but the dosing was waaaay too high to begin with.

According to Lexi and AHFS, there is dosing up to an SCr of 4. 😱 They recommend an approximate daily dose of 1.5 mg/kg/day, but dosed q36h (I don't like q36h dosing, anyway). But yeah. I'd just be a bit nervous about using it in this situation being still wet behind the ears. 😉
 
According to Lexi and AHFS, there is dosing up to an SCr of 4. 😱 They recommend an approximate daily dose of 1.5 mg/kg/day, but dosed q36h (I don't like q36h dosing, anyway). But yeah. I'd just be a bit nervous about using it in this situation being still wet behind the ears. 😉


Let's see... let the patient die with an infection... or save the kidneys..
Oh hell..let's save the kidneys but let the patient die.. 👍
 
According to Lexi and AHFS, there is dosing up to an SCr of 4. 😱 They recommend an approximate daily dose of 1.5 mg/kg/day, but dosed q36h (I don't like q36h dosing, anyway). But yeah. I'd just be a bit nervous about using it in this situation being still wet behind the ears. 😉

What exactly would be wrong with a 36 hour dosing interval? I don't get it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hah...Been harassed lately at any of your hospitals and branded with a drug rep badge/bracelet? :meanie:


Yup...just last week..

In an elevator..at a random hospital

Z: checking his emails on the BB
Some Woman: You must be a drug rep!
Z: No Ma'am... I'm not. I'm a pharmacist...
Some woman: Oh.. well you know it's a compliment to be called a drug rep..
Z: Sigh.....
 
People don't realize that that is one of the dirtiest songs ever written.

Girls think it is sweet.

But really the message is "shhh. you don't have to say anything. show me you love me. " *pushes girls head towards belt* "that is way better than any words baby"
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V60FY-eJAwU[/YOUTUBE]

best.
 
Last edited:
Been rocking with the neighborhood kids lately??

No, but we were out racing on the street.. 60 yard sprints with me giving them 20 yard head start.. after 4 runs, I had a nasty exercise induced nausea and had to lay down for 2 hours. Then I suffered a very bad lactic acidosis of my glutes, hamstrings, and calves for the next 3 days.. Sometimes I need to stop acting like a 12 year old...
 
No, but we were out racing on the street.. 60 yard sprints with me giving them 20 yard head start.. after 4 runs, I had a nasty exercise induced nausea and had to lay down for 2 hours. Then I suffered a very bad lactic acidosis of my glutes, hamstrings, and calves for the next 3 days.. Sometimes I need to stop acting like a 12 year old...
the Army would fix you real quick...