Lipitor May Aid Memory in Alzheimer's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kwakster928

A Legal Drug Dealer
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Click here for the article

Man more good news for pfizer, merck is getting owned by lawsuits from vioxx. I really feel bad for merck right now..... sadness.

Members don't see this ad.

bananaface said:
Always beware of the word "may". ;)

And, remember that the news media are very poor authorities on science and health related issues.

i am also skeptical but it is somewhat about how public is going to preceive the news.

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought I just read something recently about statins causing memory less. Hmm...I guess I'll have to look it up tomorrow at work and get back to you.

Ahh. Found it. It was a discussion in the Pharmacist's Letter. I don't really know what I can post without fear of copyright infringements, but here are some ref's:
1. Parker-Pope T. Cholesterol drug use raises questions about side effects. Wall Street Journal, February 2, 2002.
2. Orsi A, Sherman O, Woldeselassie Z. Simvastatin-associated memory loss. Pharmacotherapy 2001;21(6):767-69.
3. Wardle J, Rogers P, Judd P, et al. Randomized trial of the effects of cholesterol-lowering dietary treatment on psychological function. Am J Med 2000;108:547-53.
4. Muldoon M, Barger S, Ryan C, et al. Effects of lovastatin on cognitive function and psychological well-being. Am J Med 2000;108:538-47.
5. Stewart R, Sharples K, North F, et al. Long-term assessment of psychological well-being in a randomized placebo-controlled trial of cholesterol reduction with pravastatin. Arch Intern Med 2000;160:3144-52.
6. Kehoe W. Statins, cholesterol, and Alzheimer's disease. Pharmacist's Letter Detail Document 2000;160216.
7. Atkinson J. Cerebrovascular structure and dementia: new drug targets. Trends Psychopharmacol Sci 2001;22(12):630-35.
8. Rockwood K, Kirkland S, Hogan D, et al. Use of lipid-lowering agents, indication bias, and the risk of dementia in community-dwelling elderly people. Arch Neurol 2002;59:223-27.

The author's conclusion:
At this point the data do not suggest that statins commonly affect psychological well-being or function. With the large number of patients treated to date, a problem with a high incidence should have been noted. However, memory problems could easily be overlooked or attributed to the effects of aging or concurrent diseases. So it isn't possible to rule out an effect. But it does not appear to occur at a high rate.

The anecdotal reports do suggest that we should watch for this possible effect. It may not occur for months after therapy is started. If memory problems are noted, other causes should be considered and appropriate measures taken. If it does appear to be the result of a statin, a trial off of the drug or changing to an alternative statin may be worth considering.

It is interesting to note that statins are being looked at for possibly preventing Alzheimer's disease.6-8 High cholesterol may contribute to the deposition of beta-amyloid in the brain that characterizes this disease. Epidemiological studies indicate that the risk is lowered by statins. This will of course require further study. However, it also points out that the cognitive impact of these drugs may very well depend upon other underlying conditions the patient may have.

GravyRPH said:
The author's conclusion:
At this point the data do not suggest that statins commonly affect psychological well-being or function. With the large number of patients treated to date, a problem with a high incidence should have been noted. However, memory problems could easily be overlooked or attributed to the effects of aging or concurrent diseases. So it isn't possible to rule out an effect. But it does not appear to occur at a high rate.

The anecdotal reports do suggest that we should watch for this possible effect. It may not occur for months after therapy is started. If memory problems are noted, other causes should be considered and appropriate measures taken. If it does appear to be the result of a statin, a trial off of the drug or changing to an alternative statin may be worth considering.

It is interesting to note that statins are being looked at for possibly preventing Alzheimer's disease.6-8 High cholesterol may contribute to the deposition of beta-amyloid in the brain that characterizes this disease. Epidemiological studies indicate that the risk is lowered by statins. This will of course require further study. However, it also points out that the cognitive impact of these drugs may very well depend upon other underlying conditions the patient may have.
Roughly summarized: "We don't actually know anything. But, we are going to talk as if we do, so that we can get our name in print."

I suppose. But I know there are several anecdotal reports of people becoming blubbering idiots after taking their statin and then miraculously recovering when its been stopped. It's nice to have someone address it. Pharmacist's Letter is usually on the cutting edge of at least giving an opinion on the available data out there, even if their opinion ends up being wrong. (e.g. Vioxx)