List for Young Jock

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Royce

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have the impression that there are a number of DO schools that are not very highly regarded. This is based upon conversations that I've had at various DO schools, both with students and interviewers.

Western University seemed to be the school that most people frowned upon. Apparently the major reason for attending it is that one is able to live in Southern California. Considering that many schools are in less-than-friendly areas weather-wise, it is not difficult to see why this would be a factor.

Another aspect of Western is that it's located nearby a bunch of medical schools and its students are able to rotate at them. It appears that its students believe that this makes them much more competitive for residencies than other DO students who studied too far away to afford to come to CA for a rotation.

Sadly, this is not the case. DO students, despite the sunny proclamations of many posters on this site, are still regarded as second-rate medical students by most of the allopathic (read: 90% of the medical profession) world.

I don't care to debate the veracity of this statement. It's true and a simple inspection of the average DO school's matriculants is a good place to start when one is seeking an answer for this phenomenon. I don't know of any DO schools whose average MCAT is even a thirty; most are somewhere in the 8.3 per subset range. It's true that the average GPA isn't that different from that of the average person accepted into MD schools, but you need to remember that grading criteria vary drastically from school to school. Indeed, that's why the MCAT was developed: to ferret out the smart from the not-so-smart. There are a number of MD schools that cater to those who get in based on racial preferences (e.g. Howard, Morehouse, and Meharry, where the average MCATs are abysmal). If they were removed from the calculations and Harvard and Wash U. etc. were also dropped, we'd still see two very different MCAT pictures when comparing MD and DO schools.

Back to Western. The school itself is not a very pretty place. Situated in an old mall (I kid you not), it's hardly what one would think of when asked to imagine the ideal place in which medicine would be taught.

The administration seemed nice enough, as did the students whom we met during the interview. This brings up an interesting point: DO people are generally nicer than MD people are. It's something I've seen time and again on my interviews. There seemed to be a remarkably homogenous group of people around, particularly with respect to their lack of interest in competing with one another. If you hated pre-med gunners in your UG years, then this sort of laid-back attitude may suit you quite nicely.

With respect to hospital facilities, I soon learned that DO schools typically don't have anything really fancy nearby. If I am spending more than $20 K per year you'd better believe that I want a hospital that's close to campus. Sadly, that isn't the case. I won't reprise the argument here, but other people on this website have gone into great detail regarding DO schools' problems with securing training facilities and dedicated, full-time instructors.

UHS in Kansas City seemed to be a better school than Western. Although it lacked much in the way of a hospital system that one could get to readily from the main campus, it was much nicer and more modern than Western U. Also, the faculty seemed to be a bit more demanding and to have a bit more confidence than their Western U. counterparts.

Overall, my impression of Western U., not surprisingly, is that it's not a great school to go to. True, it's in LA County, but you're more likely to get a good residency if you go to a better school. As a final note, I have kept in touch with all five of the other interviewees from my group. Three of us got into MD schools soon after our Western U. interview; two were notified of their acceptance at other DO schools (Iowa and NYCOM); the sixth person did accept the Western U. offer but is still alive on the MSU waitlist.

If I were to rank the DO schools in terms of their ability to give you a good education (access to a wide variety of clinical situations, good basic science background, etc.), it would look like this:

1. MSU-COM--Ranked very high in the most recent US News and World Reports for primary care (even higher than its MD counterpart, MSU College of Human Medicine).

2. UNECOM--My interviewer at MSU called this school the "best of the lot." It accepts students that are, on average, from much better New England schools (where the grading is a bit more difficult than, say, Long Beach State). I placed it at number two, however, because it is not as well known as MSU and there aren't quite as many clinical affiliates.

3. NYCOM--Great clinical affiliations throughout NYC, a good basic science background, and most of all, DOs on the East Coast are better respected than their West Coast counterparts, so one has a better shot at a good residency there.

4. Kirksville--Has the highest average MCAT for matriculants. Also, going to the first DO school may confer a sense of uniqueness to you, especially if you apply to an osteopathic residency. That last one may be a stretch, but when I did my Navy physical the doc was from Kirksville and he told me that having gone to "the granddaddy" of DO schools was a plus when it came to getting a residency. He's also nearly seventy years old, so take that tidbit with a grain of salt.

5. "The Des Moines school"--can't remember the name but it's a good one. Plenty of good affiliations and a supportive faculty that is dedicated to ensuring your success.

I don't know enough about the other schools to rank them, but I can offer some random advice.

The schools in NJ, Texas, and West Virginia really want you to be a resident. For that matter, so do UNECOM and NYCOM. MSU-COM is less demanding about this, but they still want a lot of people from Michigan.

I've never heard anything really good about NOVA, and I've talked to a lot of people who interviewed there. Adrian makes some valid points, many of which were not unfamiliar to me based upon conversations with those who have friends who attend NOVA.

Now, I'm sure that the above statements have ruffled more than a few peoples' feathers. Let it be known that I fully believe in the technical capabilities of DOs. In fact, I have seen one several times for a very sore neck. But let's not kid ourselves when it comes to the current climate in medicine. DOs are making inroads into mainstream medicine in ways that were unimaginable twenty years ago. But it will be a long time before the title "DO" is not seen as a liability by residency directors at allopathic programs.

MD residency directors will continue to view DOs who apply to their programs as failed MD applicants. It's true that there will be some people who could have gone to MD school but chose DO instead because they preferred the philosophy, or because the location was much better for them. But you can rest assured that in the back of the residency director's mind, when she's looking over your application, she'll wonder why you are applying to an MD program when you felt so strongly about the DO philosophy. A few applicants may be able to say convince her that they still believe in the "DO philosophy" and that allopathic program just happens to be the one closest to home or is offering something that the DO programs don't but the majority won't--and the MDs know this. It will be painfully clear that the applicant is merely attempting to get into the allopathic world on further downstream, having already been rejected once before. Rest assured that the nurses, patients, and most of all, your fellow residents and attendings will, by and large, feel the same way. Please don't allow the histrionics of those who will post in repsonse to this list to convince you otherwise.

If you have a specific question, please post or e-mail me.

Good luck!

[This message has been edited by Royce (edited 06-27-2000).]

Members don't see this ad.

Just curious, where did you got accepted, wait-listed, etc.. ?

I have no intention of arguing/debating this topic with you...for it has been discussed & argued ad nauseum. Opinions are ubiquitous; and you are perfectly entitled to yours. However, what you are expressing is not what I have encountered professionally and I have been in the medical professions for in excess of 14 years prior to med school...all of that in primarily allopathic facilities. It is sad that you have only been exposed to such a prejudiced sub-set of our <read that as MD & DO> profession.

Furthermore, just to apprise you...in excess of 60% of DO-graduates enter ACGME post-grad programs annually...for reasons as varied as the pool of people who apply. That, to me, conveys a significant level of confidence by the allopathic community in a training paradigm which you have chosen to berate.

I think you will find once you are no longer in the "pre-med" world, you will find the MD vs. DO controversy to primarily exist in the minds of the crusty 'old guard", both MD & DO, and in the minds of the pre-med trying to get a leg-up on their competition.

I wish you luck and success in your future.

Just food for thought...

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

Nothing Risked, Nothing Gained!!

[This message has been edited by OldManDave (edited 06-27-2000).]

Members don't see this ad :)
I am already in the real world, but thanks for the "warning."

LOL

You need to consider where you're at, Dave: the DO heartland. Naturally, there's much less distrust/ignorance of DOs there. But there is A LOT of it out here in CA, and since that's where I--and many others, I imagine--would like to practice, the DO issue is a relevant one indeed.

Face it: DOs are not very well known at this point. Ultimately, they will get the recognition that they deserve. But until then, they will continue to labor under the often true assumption that they didn't make it into allopathic schools.

Also, just because 60% of very small number of people (DOs who graduate every year) get into ACGME programs, you cannot conclude that MDs by and large are willing to view them without bias. Furthermore, what sorts of programs are these people getting? I highly doubt it's anything much beyond primary care, especially at the upper-level institutions. Yes, I do know that the administrators of this website are at UCs--but don't that's the exception, certainly not the rule.

When I was trying to decide whether to do a DO program after getting into several MD schools, I went to a local surgeon who graduated from Oklahoma State's program. His response? Go MD. He is often questioned about his credentials, not something that you want to have to do when you're dead-tired and just want to do your job. Also, he had a hard time couldn't get an ACGME residency and had to opt for an osteopathic program. People may think that only "little people" worry about respect, but believe me, it DOES matter when you're out there. If you worked hard enough to graduate with a "DO" degree, you ought to be respected implicitly for that.

I won't presume to know all about your original medical plans, Dave, but most people who apply to DO schools do it as a means of assuring that they'll get into medical school. In other words, they would prefer to become MDs, but will do the DO route if necessary.

P.S. The fact that DOs do routinely get MD residencies is less impressive when one considers that foreign grads who practice here do, too. And we all know just how impressed we are with Caribbean and Guadalajara acceptances, right?

First and foremost, I am not native to this area...even though you are correct, it is part of DO-central. Where I did the majority of my time was in the south, where DOs are as rare, if not more so, than they are in CA. So, the basis of my statement was not skewed by living in 'DO-land', as you imply. Maybe it is your perception that is skewed by residing in a region that is less than tolerant of DOs?

Second, if you look at the %-age breakdown of practicing DOs and MDs, DO comprise approximately 5% of physicians. If you look at the %-DOs by specialty & sub-specialty, you will find that low and behold, DOs again comprise approximately 5%...for citation, check out Kenneth Iserson's books for starters.

You are correct in that there are many regions of this country that are not familiar with DOs or that we are equivalent physicians with full practice rights in all disciplines. I can't argue against that...but I do question your assumption that the general public perceives us as all MD-wannabes. In fact, I seriously doubt the majority of patients are even aware whether their Doc is an MD or a DO.

You seem to make a lot of assumptions based upon what you have heard, have been told or something as nebulous & malleable as "public perception". It might be far more prudent to ground your opinions in first-hand experiences.

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

Dave,

The public views dentists as failed MDs, so why wouldn't they view YOU as a failed MD? After all, you will probably allopathic medicine as a DO, right? Stripped of OMM, osteopathy IS allopathy--but with an unfamiliar name. And since even the AOA admits that most DOs aren't using it, I'd say that you people are practicing allopathy.

Why don't just go into allopathy in the first place? Why would one chose to go into allopathy through the back door, and have to explain what the Devil a "DO" is? Why force yourself to take another board certication test (USMLE) to practice in LA? Why select a course of study that makes it so that won't allow you to practice in most other countries?

Come on, people! Don't lie to the poor kid. There may be a few DOs who did chose DO over MD, but the vast majority of you either didn't get into MD school or you didn't apply because you knew it wouldn't pay off.

Wow, someday I want to be as smart as Royce-dog!

Listen buddy boy, I am not gonna play with you by being nice. First of all, just because you have never worked with, seen, or conversed with a DO does not mean they are some "untouchable serf" wishing they were MD's! I have never worked with a "Royce" nor have I even seen a "Royce", and up until this moment I thought most "Royce's" were decent human beings. But it is my EXPERIENCE with you that has changed my mind. It is your lack of experience and arrogance that blinds you my friend. You just have no clue.

Why don't you tell me, oh masterful wizard of the Rubik's cube, how an MD internist is better than a DO internist?
Well, you can't. Nor can anyone prove a DO internist is better than a MD internist. Why, well each judgement is based upon the internist's skill, and without knowing or working with either...well, you can't judge.
So tell me oh wise one, why are you SOOOO cool...and why has the great Allah given you the answers to all of the questions in the universe?

Thanks R-money...I look forward to your words of wisdom.

Royce,

I would suggest you contact the State Medical Board in California and ask if they believe that D.O's are less qualified. California offered to license D.O.'s as M.D.'s for a small fee of $50.00. This resulted in the AMA having to admit that D.O.'s were fully qualified to practice medicine, and had levels of education necessary to qualify as MD's. This eventually led to the licensing of D.O.'s as fully licensed physicians in all 50 states. Pilot

Royce,
I hope you and everyone with your same feelings goes to an MD school. If you don't you will make those of us who CHOSE to come to an osteopathic school miserable if we get stuck with you as a classmate who whines all of the time because they aren't happy where they are.
AS far as the hard feelings between MDs and DOs I would guess that it is worse in CA than in any other state just because of feelings left over from the California Merger. At the same time if DOs were so hated in CA would there be 2 DO schools there?

Bottom Line - if you don't want to be a DO and you don't believe in the philosophy then go to an MD school or shut up and quit your bitching.

------------------
Carrie
KCOM '03

Don't pay Royce any attention. He's just worried that some lowly DO with a low MCAT will score higher on the exam that matters most (USMLE) and beat him out of his precious allopathic residency. Or even worse, Royce might end up at an allopathic residency which has a "second rate" DO as the head resident. Nice post Royce. We're all dumber for having read it.

Royce

You are so ignorant. How did you get into medical school? First of all, why did you apply to DO schools? Also if you think DO's are less smart, you might want to compare board scores. I believe that DO's make better doctors because they are not spoon fed and learn things the hard way. DO's do face discrimination, but they are equally qualified as an MD and learn the same things as an MD does. The majority of students take the DO route because not only they are well qualified but there aren't enough spots for everyone.
rolleyes.gif

...Royce...friend, you must be quite a person to make friends and converse with everyone who applied to D.O. school. I am equally impressed with your knowledge of the public's perception of all healthcare workers. You certainly speak for me and all of my friends.

Royce, the boy with the pulse of an entire nation.

BTW- D.O.'s and M.D.'s are at least equal on two days of each month, can you guess which?
(it's payday, my friend)

Royce,

I am rather curious as to how you are so well appraised as to the disposition of the majority of the medical professionals...I was not aware you were one. If i am wrong, please feel free to correct me. However, the majority of medical professionals are not physicians; but are the actual 'hands-on' clinicians, i.e. nurses, resp therapists & a plethera of other allied health professionals. Furthermore, I canspeak from from 1st experience having been amongst the ranks of med professionals for 14+ years, that which initials you have behind your name doesn't amount to a hill of $hit! To truly be respected, you must EARN the respect & trust of your colleagues and fellow medical staff. I have been fortunate enough to worked with some excellent PHYSICIANS, both MD & DO; and the misfortune to work with some real turds, again both MDs & DOs.

In all honesty, the preponderance of the public doesn't know there is even different degrees...let alone fret over where their Doc went to school or did their residency. Come on, this sort of detail is only something that pre-meds & med students concern themselves with. In fact, you will be amazed to find out, when you do get to the 'real world', that a large %-age of your clientele will still think in terms of male = doctor & female = nurse. Since this is a common "public perception", does that make it true? Hell no!

I was given some very wise advice just prior to my graduation from resp school & it has proven itself invaluable throughout my career. When new to a profession, job or environment, you are far better off to invest your initial efforts with your eyes and ears open and your mouth subdued...

No offense, just friendly advice...

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

Members don't see this ad :)
None of the above respondents are named "Young Jock," so why they would all feel so strongly about posting on a thread entitled "List for Young Jock (by Royce)."

I don't think that any knowlegable person would tell you to go to a DO school--unless you want OMM training, which can be obtained my MDs, too--if you had the option of going to an MD school.

Your vitriolic and "little boy whistling past the graveyard" posts betray your own grave misgivings regarding the wisdom of pursuing a career as an osteopathic physician--save for Dave, who responded with maturity, unlike the other clowns who either assumed that I had no experience with DOs (poor reading skills on the MCAT can land you in DO school) or just responded with a burst of pats to their own back to salve their wounds.

The fact of the matter is that nearly all physicians are MDs. When a person's health, indeed the thing most precious to them, is on the line, do you think that most people want to ferret out all the information regarding their health care providers's education? Doubtful.

I got into both and chose what nearly everyone else who was in the same position chose: MD. Just because a bunch of you people, on an OSTEOPATHIC website, chose otherwise does not alter the fact that you are in the minority with respect to choice of medical school when one indeed has such an opportunity. As I said before, most DOs are there because they didn't get into MD schools. If you can't handle the truth, then perhaps it is you who shouldn't be in medicine.

I will allow for the possibility that in twenty or so years DOs will be free of the sort of problems they've had in the past. In that case, there would be no reason for me not to support my son or daughter should they choose to follow that path. However, until then, unless you really like OMM and plan to use it, it's the alternative path of choice.

The idea that I am worried that a group who on average couldn't even crack a 30 on the MCAT is going to beat me on the USMLE is absurd.

I don't believe that you need to go to every nurse, orderly, doctor, etc. in the whole USA to decide what people think of DOs. Just take a look at the big schools like UCSD, UCLA, UCSF. None of them have DOs in competitve (surgery, ophth, etc.) positions on their main campus. (I do know of a DO at UCSF-Fresno in EM, so gloat away!) The same is true for big schools back east. If there really was no problem of perception, then Louisiana wouldn't require that you take the USMLE, nor would the University of Washington require you to take OUR boards.

And where is your research money? The NIH doles it out to schools based on their ability to use it wisely. I don't see much in the way of money going to DO schools...

Young Jock, take a look at your own career goals and ask yourself one question: do you want to work very hard and be recognized for it? Would it bother you to have people who are well-enough educated to work as physicists are Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory ask if a DO can take a look at their glasses?

It doesn't take an egomaniacal person to desire respect when they've gone to four long years of medical school. Nor does it take arrogance to point out that DO schools' MCATS are significantly lower than those of MD schools. But it does require someone to be objective, and the longer you hang out on this website, the more you'll realize that objectivity takes a back seat to self-promotion with these people.

P.S. WheatFarmer and the other verbally-challenged jokers: please don't use your "inner-city" slang when addressing me. Also, I would prefer that you read my posts completely before making assumptions. For example, WheatHead ASSumed that I hadn't done any research on osteopathy and that I never talked to a DO. Isn't that the first thing that DO schools, always afraid of being used as an MD-backup (why on Earth would they feel that way? hmm....) discern? I rather doubt that I would have been allowed into a bunch of your institutions if I couldn't talk intelligently about the subject.

Lastly, while I'm not at Harvard, I did get into a top-20 school. I'm secure enough in myself to admit that I am not a genius, but more than happy to concede that I'm also not going to have to be a DO, either.

Let's be honest: DO schools allow those who would otherwise head out of the country, prescribe drugs or glasses, or become chiropractors, to call themselves "Doctor." What a dubious victory, guys.

[This message has been edited by Royce (edited 06-28-2000).]

Originally posted by Pilot:
Royce,

I would suggest you contact the State Medical Board in California and ask if they believe that D.O's are less qualified. California offered to license D.O.'s as M.D.'s for a small fee of $50.00. This resulted in the AMA having to admit that D.O.'s were fully qualified to practice medicine, and had levels of education necessary to qualify as MD's. This eventually led to the licensing of D.O.'s as fully licensed physicians in all 50 states. Pilot

Perhaps you ought to ask the military why they finally allowed DOs to practice medicine.

Here's a hint: The Vietnam war resulted in the need for a dramatic increase in the number of physicians.

DOs: A backup for the US Military; a backup for the US pre-med. Quite a legacy.

So how about it, Young Jock? Wanna join these guys or what?

smile.gif

Royce, I have a 37 composite MCAT score and I
am going to DO school. This thread could rapidly degenerate into viscious personal attacks, so let's try to keep things civilized. There are many factors that affect which school one goes to. Grades, MCATs, interviews, volunteer work, upbringing, locale where one was raised, race, gender, undergraduate institution, age, and previous occupational experience all affect medical school admissions. There are more qualified applicants then there are seats available, so to accusse DO students of being MD student wannabes purely on slightly lower MCAT averages is absurd. If you want to argue generally about two student populations, you have to address all of the above factors, not just one. People should be taken as individuals. Anyway, you are right that osteopathy may be marginilized by the general public because it is not mainstream. However this is changing and DOs are earning more respect based on their talents everyday. DOs are becoming more competitive in getting allopathic residencies with every passing year. You've acknowledged this yourself. Things are changing for the better, so why undercut DOs because of MCAT averages. Your early posts were very objective, your later posts are not. It appears like you are taking what is being said by the other posters a little personally and initiating a counter attack. That is not necessary. You should have expected anger based on the bluntness of your original post. Any time you put down someone's school, you are going to anger them. Anyway I am starting to ramble so I'll end this post.

Hey Royce,

You are so right!! After all, why wouldnt you take the opportunity to trash others just to make yourself fell better; its in tune with the whole "I'm an MD" mentality. Sure, you and your kind call patients gomers, losers, dorks, etc. and it would be wholly unfair of you to deny that derision to the rest of the medical profession (nurses, techs, PA's, and DO's). After all, theyre nothing like YOU! Not that they'd want to be like you: consummate thankless braggarts on a tantrum because the rest of society is not praising and stroking their ego sufficiently enough.

True, DO's applicants have lower stats but if you studied your medical history you'd note that was the case with MD medicine in the days when docs drove Buicks, if you know what I mean.

Students originally got into medschool because of their emphatic capability and professional promise as demonstrated in the interview. The MCAT was incorporated when competition increased, but superior scores do not make you a better doctor only a better medical student. You should know by now that the hardest part of medical school is getting in. Your eloquent derision of your future colleagues only demonstrates how influential prejudices can be.

Royce,
I would like to point out a few things to you so you won't be surprised when apply for a job or a residency. I live in the South and had never real heard of a D.O. until I was researching medical school.
This year, I had been accepted & wait-listed at several allopathic/osteopathic medical schools. I spoke with my wife's OB/GYN (allopathic) who used to be a residency director and now hires for a private practice. I explained my choices of allopathic schools x,y,z (they are good schools, but not top 20) and osteopthic schools a,b,c to him. He advised be to pick the best school (curriculum, rotations, etc..)where I could finish at the top of the class. Better to be a big fish in a small pond... He and I both agreed it was osteopathic school a. I approached my choice to medical school this way. In other words, if I am at the top of my class and you are in the middle of your class, and we both score similar on our boards (considering all other things are alike), he was going to select me for his residency. He does not care if I attended an osteopathic/allopathic school, but how I performed at that school. That's not to say that a Harvard (just an example) graduate that ranked similar to me would not get the spot ahead of me. But we can't all go to Harvard.
I currently work for the CDC and am interested in ID medicine. I personally called the director of a program (allopathic) that I feel is a great program and would make a good fit with me. I wanted to know if there would be any "black-marks" against me in the "real world" because I was attending an osteopathic medical school. After he got done laughing, he informed me that 2 of the 5 of his staff were D.O.s. He told me the same thing my wife's OB/GYN did.
In closing, I would like to congraduate you on being accepted to medical school because so few applicants get picked. I also hope you picked the best medical school based on compatability and not reputation or allopathic/osteopathic. Never underestimate a person's desire or drive to succeed. I look forward to working with people who have a genuine desire to help others regardless of their school, degree, or country. You better study your A$$ off in school and change your attitude or you will be working for me one day.
--Mark

------------------
Mark
KCOM 2004

Originally posted by adismo:
Hey Royce,

[T]heyre nothing like YOU! Not that they'd want to be like you: consummate thankless braggarts on a tantrum because the rest of society is not praising and stroking their ego sufficiently enough.

Thankless, braggart? I'll admit to bragging but thankless? Where do you get that from? Also, I've had plenty of ego stroking, especially from people in the public once they heard that I was accepted to an MD school.

I went a bit too far with personal diatribes, although it's not hard to see why I would when I get assaulted by a gang of people on this website. The fact is that my original intentions were sound: a pre-med asked for help and I offered it, which upset those who did not chose this path.

Check of these links for more. I'm done with this argument.
http://www.quackwatch.com/04ConsumerEducation/QA/osteo.html

If you can't get the link to work, I've posted the text for your reading pleasure.

Osteopathic physicians (DOs) are the legal and professional equivalents of medical doctors. Although most offer
competent care, the percentages involved in chelation therapy, clinical ecology, orthomolecular therapy, homeopathy,
ayurvedic medicine, and several other dubious practices appear to be higher among osteopaths than among medical
doctors. I have concluded this by inspecting the membership directories of groups that promote these practices and/or by
comparing the relative percentages of MDs and DOs. listed in the Alternative Medicine Yellow Pages [1] and
HealthWorld Online's Professional Referral Network. The most widespread dubious treatment among DOs appears to be
cranial therapy, an osteopathic offshoot described below.

Cultist Roots

Andrew Taylor Still, MD (1828-1917) originally expressed the principles of osteopathy in 1874, when medical science
was in its infancy. A medical doctor, Still believed that diseases were caused by mechanical interference with nerve and
blood supply and were curable by manipulation of "deranged, displaced bones, nerves, muscles -- removing all
obstructions -- thereby setting the machinery of life moving." His autobiography states that he could "shake a child and
stop scarlet fever, croup, diphtheria, and cure whooping cough in three days by a wring of its neck." [2]

Still was antagonistic toward the drug practices of his day and regarded surgery as a last resort. Rejected as a cultist by
organized medicine, he founded the first osteopathic medical school in Kirksville, Missouri, in 1892.

As medical science developed, osteopathy gradually incorporated all its theories and practices [3]. Today, except for
additional emphasis on musculoskeletal diagnosis and treatment, the scope of osteopathy is identical to that of medicine.
The percentage of practitioners who use osteopathic manipulative treatment (OMT) and the extent to which they use it
have been falling steadily.

Osteopathy Today

There are 19 accredited colleges of osteopathic medicine and about 40,000 osteopathic practitioners in the United States
[4]. Admission to osteopathic school requires three years of preprofessional college work, but almost all of those enrolled
have a baccalaureate or higher degree. The doctor of osteopathy (DO) degree requires more than 5,000 hours of training
over four academic years. The faculties of osteopathic colleges are about evenly divided between doctors of osteopathy
and holders of PhD degrees, with a few medical doctors at some colleges. Graduation is followed by a one-year rotating
internship at an approved teaching hospital. A majority of osteopaths enter family practice. Specialization requires two to
six additional years of residency training, depending on the specialty. The American Osteopathic Association (AOA)
recognizes more than 60 specialties and subspecialties. AOA membership is required for specialty certification, which
forces some practitioners to belong to the AOA even though they do not approve of the organization's policies. Since
1985, osteopathic physicians have been able to obtain residency training at medical hospitals, and the majority have done
so. Since 1993, DOs who completed osteopathic residencies have also been eligible to join the American Academy of
Family Practice, which had previously been restricted to MDs or DOs with training at accredited medical residencies [4].

Osteopathic physicians are licensed to practice in all states. The admission standards and educational quality are a bit
lower at osteopathic schools than they are at medical schools. I say this because the required and average grade-point
averages (GPAs) and the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) scores of students entering osteopathic schools are
lower than those of entering medical students [5,6] -- and the average number of full-time faculty members is nearly ten
times as high at medical schools (714 vs. 73 in 1994) [6]. In addition, osteopathic schools generate relatively little
research, and some have difficulty in attracting enough patients to provide the depth of experience available at medical
schools [7]. However, as with medical graduates, the quality of individual graduates depends on how bright they are, how
hard they work, and what training they get after graduation. Those who diligently apply themselves can emerge as
competent.

In January 1995, a one-page questionnaire was mailed to 2,000 randomly selected osteopathic family physicians who
were members of the American College of Osteopathic Physicians. About half returned usable responses. Of these, 6.2%
said they treated more than half of their patients with OMT, 39.6% said they used it on 25% or fewer of their patients,
and 32.1% said they used OMT on fewer than 5% of their patients. The study also found that the more recent the date of
graduation from osteopathic school, the lower the reported use [8].

AOA Hype

Many observers believe that osteopathy and medicine should merge. But osteopathic organizations prefer to retain a
separate identity and have exaggerated the minor differences between osteopathy and medicine in their marketing.
According to a 1987 AOA brochure, for example: (1) osteopathy is the only branch of mainstream medicine that follows
the Hippocratic approach, (2) the body's musculoskeletal system is central to the patient's well-being, and (3) OMT is a
proven technique for many hands-on diagnoses and often can provide an alternative to drugs and surgery [9]. A 1991
brochure falsely claimed that OMT encourages the body's natural tendency toward good health and that combining it with
all other medical procedures enables DOs to provide "the most comprehensive treatment available." [10] Such statements
are consistent with a 1992 AOA resolution that defines osteopathy as:

A system of medical care with a philosophy that combines the needs of the patient with current practice of
medicine, surgery, and obstetrics and emphasis on the interrelationships between structure and function and
an appreciation of the body's ability to heal itself [11].

A 1994 AOA resolution describes osteopathy as "a complete system of health care and as such is much more holistic
than medicine in the classic sense." [11].

The American Osteopathic Association's web site glorifies Andrew Still and asserts that osteopathic medicine has a unique
philosophy of care because "DOs take a whole-person approach to care and don't just focus on a diseased or injured
part." I consider it outrageous to imply that osteopathic physicians are the only ones who regard their patients as
individuals or who provide comprehensive care or pay attention to disease prevention. Another AOA web document
states:

Osteopathic physicians frequently assess impaired mobility of the musculoskeletal system as that system
encompasses the entire body and is intimately related to the organ systems and to the nervous system. Using
anatomical relationships between the musculoskeletal and these organ systems, osteopathic physicians
diagnose and treat all organ systems [12].

This statement strikes me as the same sort of baloney chiropractors use to suggest that somehow their attention to the
spine will have positive effects on all body processes. Spinal manipulation may produce pain relief in properly selected
cases of low back pain [13]. However, OMT has no proven effect on people's general health.

The Bottom Line

I believe that the American Osteopathic Association is acting improperly by exaggerating the value of manipulative therapy
and by failing to denounce cranial therapy. If you wish to select an osteopathic physician as your primary-care provider,
your best bet is to seek one who: (1) has undergone residency training at a medical hospital; (2) does not assert that
osteopaths have a unique philosophy or that manipulation offers general health benefits; (3) either does not use
manipulation or uses it primarily to treat back pain; and (4) does not practice cranial therapy.

also, you can check out: http://personal.mem.bellsouth.net/mem/k/e/keep/editorial2.html

Cheers!

Originally posted by Royce:
Perhaps you ought to ask the military why they finally allowed DOs to practice medicine.

Here's a hint: The Vietnam war resulted in the need for a dramatic increase in the number of physicians.

DOs: A backup for the US Military; a backup for the US pre-med. Quite a legacy.

So how about it, Young Jock? Wanna join these guys or what?

smile.gif

....hmmmm.... Did i miss something here, i could have sworn i saw an interview on 60 minutes a week back with Ronald Blank (...sp) D.O. & a CBS reporter - Dr. Blank is the Surgeon General of the army......

Also, i have been looking at various residency positions, many have D.O.s as Chief residents and also heads of departments - actually of ACGME residencies......

I was also under the impression that the president for the
American Society of Anesthesiologists was a D.O......

....i have absolutely no clue why this is such a huge issue on this board.....I think
that the healthcare system has a lot more problems to deal with than with M.D./D.O. issues.

.....anyways back to work.....

Originally posted by mjseng:
Royce,
You better study your A$$ off in school and change your attitude or you will be working for me one day.
--Mark

Don't worry--I'll be sure to work hard in medical school. But I rather doubt any DO will be my boss; most can't get into radiology residencies to begin with, let alone run a department in a top hospital. But rest assured that if you or another DO is my boss, I'll be as courteous to you/them as I would to an MD.

Royce, man, you cant expect much backers unless you stick to HONEST critique of the profession....There are a LOT of DO radiologists, so where and why you would make such an unsubstantiated comment in the midst of some rather poignant truths eludes me. AND there are DOs who RUN radiology departments....look it up. Please keep the diatribes honest otherwise any points you make lose all impact.

The posts from Royce look to me like a serious attempt at trolling.

Because the allegations against Western U are incorrect as is the rest of the information posted by Royce, please disregard his or her postings.