List of Clinical Rotation Sites - COMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaliMD

CaliDoc
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a list? I tried to get it from the COMP website, but you have to have a login name and password. I want to make sure that I live within close proximity to our rotation sites and COMP.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

CaliMD said:
Does anyone have a list? I tried to get it from the COMP website, but you have to have a login name and password. I want to make sure that I live within close proximity to our rotation sites and COMP.

Thanks!

Speaking from a 4th year's perspective, things have changed somewhat regarding your first two years of classroom on campus. Since COMP has started recording lectures that can be accessed online, it seems as if more students are studying on their own time rather than attending lecture every single day. That being said, there are still times they are required to be on campus, whether it is for OPP class or ECM (Essentials of Clinical Medicine). Quite a few students will end up moving before rotations start anyway and there is no guarantee that people will stay in the same place for all four years.

The core rotations span the region of LA county and San Bernardino counties from Long Beach all the way to Riverside and there is flexibility within those groupings.

I would say there are many pleasant areas to live around school the first few years and these areas have been mentioned in other posts as well. Planning ahead for rotations is a good idea, but it doesn't always work out as things change from time to time.

Just my two cents. Hope this helps to give you a different viewpoint on the matter.

This is a link to the DO 2008 webpage and map of the core rotation sites. Unless you are in the Northwest Track, you'll have to do your 3rd year rotations at one of these sites. The 4th year rotations you can do pretty much anywhere. If the link doesn't work for some reason, I listed the sites too. Keep in mind that you'll have to rotate at more than one site because not all sites offer the entire core rotations.

http://ws.westernu.edu/do2008/map.html

Alhambra Hospital and Medical Center
Arrowhead Regional Medical Center
City of Hope
Coast Plaza
Corona Regional
Corona Regional Medical Center
Chino Valley Medical Center
Citris Valley Health Partners
Doctors Hospital Medical Center of Montclair
Downy Regional Medical Center
Huntington Beach Community Clinic
North Orange County Pediatrics
Prairie Medical Group
Pacific Hospital Long Beach
Patton State Hospital
Citris Valley Psychiatric Medical Clinic
Riverside County Regional Medical Center
Rancho Los Amigos
San Bernardino County Department of Behavioral Health
Tri-City Regional
Whittier Hospital
Western University Medical Center

Saint John's, Detroit, Michigan

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your responses! Do we have a choice in terms of where we want to rotate? Does it make a difference? Are some hospitals better than others?

Also, I'm interested in buying a condo/townhouse in the area. Which areas do you recommend? I was looking into Rancho Cucamonga. Any opinions? I know that rush hour traffic is pretty bad on the 10, so I'd like to live relatively close to campus.

Thanks in advance for your input.

CaliMD said:
Thanks for your responses! Do we have a choice in terms of where we want to rotate? Does it make a difference? Are some hospitals better than others?

does it make a difference? that depends on what specialty you want to do in your career. the rotation sites of COMP are very different, ie, size, location, structure, hours...etc.

i have known graduates who have done very well, ie, good residency positions.
and they did rotations at better sites of COMP. maybe, it doesn't matter that much where people do rotations (assuming they worked hard and done well), but , i don't know. I have not met graduates who went to great programs and rotated with Dr. Bob down the street...j/k

the newest system of choosing rotation is via computer software... there are about 180+ tracks (Northwest tracks choose from different set of rotation sites). students ranked the 180+ choices, then there is a 'lottery' by the computer or someone behind the scences (reportedly 70% or more of the students get the track that they ranked #1)
...later on, one can trade the whole track or specific rotations with other people.

CaliMD said:

Also, I'm interested in buying a condo/townhouse in the area. Which areas do you recommend? I was looking into Rancho Cucamonga. Any opinions? I know that rush hour traffic is pretty bad on the 10, so I'd like to live relatively close to campus.

I recommend Chino Hills... lots of real estate activity here and increasing prices. By the way, California isn't swapping DO degrees for MD anymore - so time to change the SN ;)

osler said:
does it make a difference? that depends on what specialty you want to do in your career. the rotation sites of COMP are very different, ie, size, location, structure, hours...etc.

i have known graduates who have done very well, ie, good residency positions.
and they did rotations at better sites of COMP. maybe, it doesn't matter that much where people do rotations (assuming they worked hard and done well), but , i don't know. I have not met graduates who went to great programs and rotated with Dr. Bob down the street...j/k

the newest system of choosing rotation is via computer software... there are about 180+ tracks (Northwest tracks choose from different set of rotation sites). students ranked the 180+ choices, then there is a 'lottery' by the computer or someone behind the scences (reportedly 70% or more of the students get the track that they ranked #1)
...later on, one can trade the whole track or specific rotations with other people.

Yeap and just to give you an idea, about 75% of my class got into one of their top 3 choices...so considering it's a lottery system, just about everyone in my class is happy with their rotations.

Here is my track (my top choice) so that you can get an idea:

IM-Citrus
Psych-Citrus
IM Arrowhead
OMM
FP-Alhambra
Surgery-Downey
IM3-?
Vacation
Elective-Infectious disease or Pulmonology-haven't decided yet
OB/GYN-Arrowhead
Peds-Riverside County

Just as a heads up, COMP's best hospitals in terms of OVERALL quality of rotations are Arrowhead and Citrus, meaning just about any field that you can think of (IM, OBgyn, FP, Surgery, etc) is good at these hospitals; then as far as the other hospitals we are affiliated with, some are good for some fields, and not so good for others, so you basically play a mix and match game and rank your tracks according to what you want to do, and where you want to live, among other things. Good luck to you and if you have any questions let me know! Welcome to Western/COMP CaliMD or should it be CaliDO ;) ?

Wow! Thats awesome! Yea, I tried to change my SN, but couldn't figure it out. So my new one is Dr. K :) Thanks for the helpful info!

Dr. Don said:
Yeap and just to give you an idea, about 75% of my class got into one of their top 3 choices...so considering it's a lottery system, just about everyone in my class is happy with their rotations.

Here is my track (my top choice) so that you can get an idea:

IM-Citrus
Psych-Citrus
IM Arrowhead
OMM
FP-Alhambra
Surgery-Downey
IM3-?
Vacation
Elective-Infectious disease or Pulmonology-haven't decided yet
OB/GYN-Arrowhead
Peds-Riverside County

Just as a heads up, COMP's best hospitals in terms of OVERALL quality of rotations are Arrowhead and Citrus, meaning just about any field that you can think of (IM, OBgyn, FP, Surgery, etc) is good at these hospitals; then as far as the other hospitals we are affiliated with, some are good for some fields, and not so good for others, so you basically play a mix and match game and rank your tracks according to what you want to do, and where you want to live, among other things. Good luck to you and if you have any questions let me know! Welcome to Western/COMP CaliMD or should it be CaliDO ;) ?