List of DO schools with a hard Biochemistry requirement?

Started by big_Z
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

big_Z

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all,

Just curious if many schools strictly require a biochemistry course as a pre-req? I've searched around a bit and the consensus seems to be that there's no hard requirement for biochem currently. But, if anyone wants to provide more up to date information, I'd appreciate it!
 
Hey all,

Just curious if many schools strictly require a biochemistry course as a pre-req? I've searched around a bit and the consensus seems to be that there's no hard requirement for biochem currently. But, if anyone wants to provide more up to date information, I'd appreciate it!
KCU does. If you don't take biochem you are putting yourself at a disadvantage for the MCAT
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Biochemistry was definitely not part of my major (English), but I took it anyway knowing that it's a big part of the new MCAT, required for some schools I applied to, and doing well in it would make the 1st year of med school a bit less overwhelming when I see it again. Everyone should just take biochem before graduating.
 
Why are people so against taking biochemistry in undergrad? It's a core part of medicine.

Glad you asked. I have nothing against biochemistry. I'm non traditional, work full time to support myself, and graduated in 2015. I've completed a 30 credit DIY Post-bacc and was hoping to take the MCAT and self study BioChem. Unfortunately looks like I may be headed back to the classroom before the MCAT. Long story short, wasn't required or a blip on my radar at the time.

Would like to add to my post that I see PCOM seems to require it as well.
 
Last edited: