List of ophtho programs that include intern year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdstudent25

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have access to a list of the ophtho programs that include their own intern year? So far I know of Rush and I think Iowa.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Rush, Iowa, Utah, Mississippi all integrate their intern years (there may be others as well). Several others guarantee you a medicine year if you match. MUSC, Arkansas, and Tennessee all do this to name a few.

Members don't see this ad :)
Beaumont has integrated.

Henry Ford and West Virginia come about as close as possible to guaranteeing you a TY spot if you match.

Mayo offers you a spot for the prelim medicine program if you match there. It's completely optional.
Hennepin County TY in Minneapolis said they will contact all the matched applicants at U Minnesota ophtho if you applied for their TY initially.
U Kentucky has one with the general surgery department. Even though it's the Gen Surg prelim the description on their website seems to suggest that it's more of a TY with medicine, subspecialty surgery, and other electives built into the curriculum specially for ophthalmology residents.

I would say that at a lot of places that I interviewed at if they have a TY in the city or a prelim medicine program at their own school they seem to be very receptive to take people who definitely matched at that school.
Some examples: Baptist and UAB Ophtho, St. Vincent and IU Methodist and Indiana Ophthalmology...the list goes on.

Hope that helps!