**List of PS readers for AMCAS 08**- old thread, search for current year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Personal Statement Readers '08
Cirrus83
ecking - ecking @ ucdavis.edu
Falco2525
flaahless
ihatescience
ndteej
sunflwr85 - PM me, please
triangles
linuxizer - abfriedman @ gmail.com - Applying this year
Depakote
pcguy2 - PM please. Have been doing for this for 2 application cycles. Class of 2011
MeMoMa - mer384 @ yahoo.com
chable - applied to 23 schools, 4 interviews, 1 acceptance to top choice state school
Schaden Freud
Darksmurf - editor at a science journal; I reserve the right to be brutally honest
Anastasis - English degree, applied last cycle, PMs please
Ersatzious - MD/PhD, English degree in my former life, PM please
lilnoelle
Astrithir - applied and accepted last cycle, PMs please.
silversideslide - class of 2011, please pm me.
lina123321--
gsmithers68 - class of 2011, please pm me. Minored in Engrish/Histry. Me grood at wroitin.
omegaxx (class of 2011) - PMs please. Available after May 14. Second major in English. Canuck.
SpiresAAC - MSSM class of 2011, American Studies major, English minor, MPH, post bacc...PM me
EternalRage - applied and accepted last cycle, PM me, I'll tear you a new one.
Think Big-class of 2011, PM me

Members don't see this ad.

Cirrus83
Falco2525
flaahless
ihatescience
ndteej
triangles
Depakote
pcguy2 - PM please. Have been doing for this for 2 application cycles. Class of 2011
chable - applied to 23 schools, 4 interviews, 1 acceptance to top choice state school
Schaden Freud
Darksmurf - editor at a science journal; I reserve the right to be brutally honest
lilnoelle
lina123321--
gsmithers68 - class of 2011, please pm me. Minored in Engrish/Histry. Me grood at wroitin.
omegaxx (class of 2011) - PMs please. Available after May 14. Second major in English. Canuck.
SpiresAAC - MSSM class of 2011, American Studies major, English minor, MPH, post bacc...PM me
ginkneephur-PM me, Available during the summer.

Cirrus83
Falco2525
flaahless
ihatescience
ndteej
triangles
Depakote
Schaden Freud
lilnoelle
lina123321--
ohlala - PM me and I'll send you my email address.

Members don't see this ad :)
It amazes me to no end how many people on any sort of Official list thread don't use the quote function to keep formatting.

noob season started

It amazes me to no end how many people on any sort of Official list thread don't use the quote function to keep formatting.

noob season started

It's not that they don't use the quote function, it's that they somehow use it wrongly.

Question for my fellow reviewers:

For those of you already accepted / already matriculated, are you sharing your PS with your reviewees?

Other than wanting to protect potentially sensitive details about yourself, are there any reasons why these still need to be kept under lock and key?

For those of you already accepted / already matriculated, are you sharing your PS with your reviewees?

Other than wanting to protect potentially sensitive details about yourself, are there any reasons why these still need to be kept under lock and key?

I've got not problem sharing my PS with people, but what's the use exactly? It's not as though your life can really give them things to write about, no?

Despite my application success, I still think I wrote a crappy one!

Edit: Ok, not that crappy. Maybe I'm just protective about sensitive details. It's very personal.

Cirrus83
Falco2525
flaahless
ihatescience
ndteej
triangles
Depakote
Schaden Freud
lilnoelle
lina123321--
bhattnea- Class of 2011 Pm me.

I've got not problem sharing my PS with people, but what's the use exactly? It's not as though your life can really give them things to write about, no?

No, but if you give a comment along the lines of: "Consider a more creative and interesting opening. For example, take the experience you describe here, put it more narrative form, etc." If portions of your personal statement can illustrate some of the concepts you are suggesting, it can be helpful to see how someone did that. Or, it can spark ideas. "Oh, so and so turned his/her love of Scrabble into a great opening that laid a nice framework for discussing such and such, I could write about picking my navel lint, whatever."

Also, I am reviewing a couple of MD/PhD candidates. As we have three essays, how we divide content and focus between them is slightly different and a bit tricky.

No, but if you give a comment along the lines of: "Consider a more creative and interesting opening. For example, take the experience you describe here, put it more narrative form, etc." If portions of your personal statement can illustrate some of the concepts you are suggesting, it can be helpful to see how someone did that. Or, it can spark ideas. "Oh, so and so turned his/her love of Scrabble into a great opening that laid a nice framework for discussing such and such, I could write about picking my navel lint, whatever."

Also, I am reviewing a couple of MD/PhD candidates. As we have three essays, how we divided content and focus between them is slightly different and a bit tricky.

That sounds reasonable.

Cirrus83
Falco2525
flaahless

ihatescience
ndteej
triangles
Depakote
Schaden Freud
lilnoelle
lina123321--
Cubbbie -- Non-trad, non-science person ... I sent mine around here last year and it was a huge help, so I'm returning the favor.

Cirrus83
Falco2525
flaahless

ihatescience
ndteej
triangles
Depakote
chable - 4 interviews, 1 acceptance to top choice state school.
Schaden Freud
lilnoelle
lina123321--
Cubbbie - Non-trad, non-science person ... I sent mine around here last year and it was a huge help, so I'm returning the favor.
PepperMD - Semi-nontrad, Literature, Science, and the Arts, Psychology double major, English Minor. Interdisciplinary perspectives and unified themes my specialty!

Members don't see this ad :)
Any chance we get this sticked?

Cirrus83
Falco2525
flaahless

ihatescience
ndteej
triangles
Depakote
Schaden Freud
lilnoelle
lina123321--
Cubbbie - Non-trad, non-science person ... I sent mine around here last year and it was a huge help, so I'm returning the favor.
PepperMD - Semi-nontrad, Literature, Science, and the Arts, Psychology double major, English Minor. Interdisciplinary perspectives and unified themes my specialty!
Samwise2 - PM me. Non-science major, and there is nothing traditional about me. Happy to help a few. Got in this year.

Cirrus83
Falco2525
flaahless

ihatescience
ndteej
triangles
Depakote
Schaden Freud
lilnoelle
lina123321--
Samwise2 - PM me. Non-science major, and there is nothing traditional about me. Happy to help a few. Got in this year.
Homer Simpson - Class of 2011. PM me your PS and specific questions if you have any, but I'll only be able to read a few before heading off for vacation.

You can add me to the list too.

gujudoc-not yet applied though I've written a personal statement for a masters program. However, I've had countless experience reviewing personal statements for people last year on SDN and quite a few this year and have a pretty good grip on personal statement tips and what not.

I usually am good for helping give comments on structure and grammar and flow. Also, general ideas like whether your essay is lacking a common theme or unifying structure. But be prepared for me to be honest and tell you to take out sentences if they come off the wrong way.

Do note though that I won't be back til the beginning of June because I'm going to be in India for 2.5 weeks starting the 9th of May.

I don't think the idea of sharing PSes is a good idea. However if you want to see other people's personal statements, there is a good book by Princeton Review on writing personal statements and it has more then the IVY league accepted kind of applicants' essays.

My reasoning for not thinking it is a good idea to give others your PS where accepted people are concerned is that I knew a girl who used to plagiarize the essay of a currently 4th year med student at Temple. Whenever she would write for scholarships or other such programs she used the beginning of his essay. The two people in question were both from Vietnam and the guy who wrote the original was born during a time when the war was ending and proceeded to grow up on a farm in a poor area in vietnam. The person who copied his essay used parts of the introduction and omitted other parts.You could tell that it sounded weird too cuz the person who plagiarized it deleted parts of it such that it didn't even sound like proper english.

The only person who's essay I'd ever share is the 3rd year med student I know who personally handed a copy of his essay to 60+ MCAT students the year he got accepted. He was the kind of person who couldn't give a sh** who else saw his essay. But after hearing what that person did I am reluctant to believe that doing such will amount to any good.

Cirrus83
Falco2525
flaahless

ihatescience
ndteej
triangles
Depakote
Schaden Freud
lilnoelle
lina123321--
Homer Simpson - Class of 2011. PM me your PS and specific questions if you have any, but I'll only be able to read a few before heading off for vacation.
Stversko- Bio Major, Great gramatical skills. PM me if you would like me to edit your grammar.

My reasoning for not thinking it is a good idea to give others your PS where accepted people are concerned is that I knew a girl who used to plagiarize the essay of a currently 4th year med student at Temple.

Yikes. Do you think I should stop posting links to my PS drafts on my site then? The threat of plagiarism entered my mind for a second but I was investing more faith in SDNers than that. Thoughts?

Cirrus83
Falco2525
flaahless

ihatescience
ndteej
triangles
Depakote
Schaden Freud
lilnoelle
lina123321--
Stversko- Bio Major, Great gramatical skills. PM me if you would like me to edit your grammar.
symphony101- I've written many grants, PM please

Add me to the list. Finishing up first year of med school.

Cirrus83
Falco2525
flaahless

ihatescience
ndteej
triangles
Depakote
Schaden Freud
lilnoelle
lina123321--
paki20 - PM me. majored in political science, peer review editor for journal

Cirrus83
Falco2525
flaahless

ihatescience
ndteej
triangles
Depakote
Schaden Freud
lilnoelle
lina123321--
Geogil PM me. French, History major, nontrad.. PM me before july.

Cirrus83
Falco2525
flaahless
ihatescience
ndteej
triangles
Depakote
Schaden Freud
lilnoelle
lina123321--
Geogil PM me. French, History major, nontrad.. PM me before july.
aspiring med- PM me. psychology major, kind of non trad. a decent writer

Cirrus83
Falco2525
flaahless

ihatescience
ndteej
triangles
Depakote
Schaden Freud
lilnoelle
lina123321--
Geogil PM me. French, History major, nontrad.. PM me before july.[/QUOTE]
aspiring med- PM me. psychology major, kind of non trad. a decent writer
epigastric - Completed post-bacc, low GPA, now class of 2011, edit my PI's manuscripts. PM me.

Somehow we lost some people in the list over time, so pls add yourself to this corrected list in future comments:

Cirrus83
ecking - ecking @ ucdavis.edu, applicant too
Falco2525 - c/o 2011
flaahless - applying too
ihatescience
silverlining1
ndteej - better at grammatical tips
sonofschmilsson
sunflwr85
- PM me, please
triangles
linuxizer
- abfriedman @ gmail.com - Applying this year
Depakote
pcguy2
- PM please. Have been doing for this for 2 application cycles. Class of 2011
MeMoMa - mer384 @ yahoo.com, good at editing for content and grammar/punctuation.
Schaden Freud
Darksmurf
- editor at a science journal; I reserve the right to be brutally honest
lilnoelle
Astrithir
- applied and accepted last cycle, PMs please.
etsuprinthead - i'll read, PM me. i tutor(ed) writing at our school's "writing and communication center," so i have 3 years of editing under my belt.
lina123321
symphony101 - I've written many grants, PM please
Think Big - class of 2011, PM me
ginkneephur - PM me, Available during the summer.
bhattnea - Class of 2011 Pm me.
gujudoc - not yet applied though I've written a personal statement for a masters program. However, I've had countless experience reviewing personal statements for people last year on SDN and quite a few this year and have a pretty good grip on personal statement tips and what not. Unavailable May 9 - June.
Stversko - Bio Major, Great gramatical skills. PM me if you would like me to edit your grammar.
Instatewaiter - MS1 going onto MS2
Geogil - PM me. French, History major, nontrad.. PM me before july.
aspiring med - PM me. psychology major, kind of non trad. a decent writer
epigastric - Completed post-bacc, low GPA, now class of 2011, edit my PI's manuscripts. PM me.

Cirrus83
Falco2525
flaahless
ihatescience
ndteej
triangles
Depakote
Schaden Freud
lilnoelle
lina123321--

Caduceusdude- I completed my double degree in English and Biochemistry at Stanford University. Currently, I am doing my masters in English (Stanford). I would love to critique ur personal statement! My e-mail is caduceus1111(at)yahoo.com

Cirrus83
Falco2525 - c/o 2011
flaahless - applying too
ihatescience
silverlining1
sonofschmilsson
sunflwr85
- PM me, please
triangles
linuxizer
Depakote
pcguy2
MeMoMa - mer384 @ yahoo.com, good at editing for content and grammar/punctuation.
Schaden Freud
Darksmurf
lilnoelle
Astrithir
etsuprinthead - i'll read, PM me. i tutor(ed) writing at our school's "writing and communication center," so i have 3 years of editing under my belt.
lina123321
gujudoc - not yet applied though I've written a personal statement for a masters program. However, I've had countless experience reviewing personal statements for people last year on SDN and quite a few this year and have a pretty good grip on personal statement tips and what not. Unavailable May 9 - June.
Stversko - Bio Major, Great gramatical skills. PM me if you would like me to edit your grammar.
Doc Henry- PM me. Don't have any specific amazing skills, but have always had good feedback about my writing.

I just wanted to thank all you guys who are willing to help out with the PS process, I'll be messaging a few of you :).

Thanks again

bumping to raise awareness for applicants as we move closer to June

Cirrus83
Falco2525 - c/o 2011
flaahless - applying too
ihatescience
silverlining1
sonofschmilsson
triangles
Depakote
Schaden Freud
lilnoelle
lina123321
Doc Henry- PM me. Don't have any specific amazing skills, but have always had good feedback about my writing.
javaduke95 - Rising MS1. Applied for MSTPs and got some offers. Also no superpowers but am willing to help. Available throughout the summer. PM works well.

Cirrus83
Falco2525 - c/o 2011
flaahless - applying too
ihatescience
sonofschmilsson
triangles
Depakote
Schaden Freud
lilnoelle
lina123321
javaduke95 - Rising MS1. Applied for MSTPs and got some offers. Also no superpowers but am willing to help. Available throughout the summer. PM works well.

Sorry, silverlining1!

I accidentally added you to the master list but I'll fix it now.

Hopefully you haven't been getting bombarded.

Sorry, silverlining1!

I accidentally added you to the master list but I'll fix it now.

Hopefully you haven't been getting bombarded.
That's all right :) I didn't notice I had been added to the list until someone PMed me their PS :p

Cirrus83
Falco2525 - c/o 2011
flaahless - applying too
ihatescience
sonofschmilsson
triangles
Depakote
Schaden Freud
lilnoelle
lina123321

Cirrus83
Falco2525 - c/o 2011
flaahless - applying too
ihatescience
sonofschmilsson
triangles
Depakote
Schaden Freud
lilnoelle
lina123321
spospo - accepted this past cycle, PM me and i will give you my email, great at grammar, creating stronger phrases etc etc, sometime i go a little overboard

Cirrus83
Falco2525 - c/o 2011
flaahless - applying too
ihatescience
sonofschmilsson
triangles
Depakote
Schaden Freud
lilnoelle
lina123321
spospo - accepted this past cycle, PM me and i will give you my email, great at grammar, creating stronger phrases etc etc, sometime i go a little overboard

Cirrus83
Falco2525 - c/o 2011
flaahless - applying too
ihatescience
sonofschmilsson
triangles
Depakote
Schaden Freud
lilnoelle
lina123321
caristra accepted MSTP this year, so priority goes to MD/PHD applicants but I'll do regular MD ones too. My essay got several positive comments this year from interviewers. Minored in english and have been doing this for my campus premeds for a while. PM with an e-mail address so I can use track changes in word. Spelling not my strong suite :oops:

I have to say so far, this has been an awesome resource! I appreciate everyone's help. The feedback I have gotten has definitely made my personal statement better.
Btw... anyone who can flawlessly incorporate rap lyrics in their personal statement is my hero :)

I'm taking my last pre-med-school vacation to the outer banks 5-19 to 5-27. You can still send me your PS; it just won't be read until next Sunday or Monday.

bump

i know a lot of people are looking for readers, hopefully they look in here

Cirrus83
Falco2525 - c/o 2011
flaahless - applying too
ihatescience
sonofschmilsson
triangles
Depakote
Schaden Freud
lilnoelle
lina123321
caristra accepted MSTP this year, so priority goes to MD/PHD applicants but I'll do regular MD ones too. My essay got several positive comments this year from interviewers. Minored in english and have been doing this for my campus premeds for a while. PM with an e-mail address so I can use track changes in word. Spelling not my strong suite :oops:
melissainsd- I was received very well this cycle, and many of my interviewers mentioned how much they loved my PS. Also, my husband has terrible writing skills so I am constantly fixing his stuff for work. Good luck!

Cirrus83
Falco2525 - c/o 2011
flaahless - applying too
ihatescience
sonofschmilsson
triangles
Depakote
Schaden Freud
lilnoelle
lina123321
melissainsd- I was received very well this cycle, and many of my interviewers mentioned how much they loved my PS. Also, my husband has terrible writing skills so I am constantly fixing his stuff for work. Good luck![/QUOTE]
rocky6-accepted MD this year. I'm willing to help out any way I can. experience in poli sci, humanities. pm me with statements.

i'm game.

Cirrus83
Falco2525 - c/o 2011
flaahless - applying too
ihatescience
sonofschmilsson
triangles
Depakote
Schaden Freud
lilnoelle
lina123321
melissainsd- I was received very well this cycle, and many of my interviewers mentioned how much they loved my PS. Also, my husband has terrible writing skills so I am constantly fixing his stuff for work. Good luck!
yourmom25 - i've done this 3 years and each year i've had to redo my PS. each time i send it to a proofer, i get good reviews and my interviewers have always had good comments.

We've lost some formatting and some names so use this list:

Cirrus83
ecking - applying too
Falco2525 - c/o 2011
flaahless - applying too
ihatescience
sonofschmilsson
sunflwr85
- PM me, please
triangles
linuxizer
Depakote
pcguy2
Schaden Freud
Darksmurf
lilnoelle
Astrithir
etsuprinthead - i'll read, PM me. i tutor(ed) writing at our school's "writing and communication center," so i have 3 years of editing under my belt. On vacation until 5/27.
lina123321
Caduceusdude - I completed my double degree in English and Biochemistry at Stanford University. Currently, I am doing my masters in English (Stanford). I would love to critique ur personal statement! My e-mail is caduceus1111(at)yahoo.com
Doc Henry - PM me. Don't have any specific amazing skills, but have always had good feedback about my writing.
caristra - accepted MSTP this year, so priority goes to MD/PHD applicants but I'll do regular MD ones too. My essay got several positive comments this year from interviewers. Minored in english and have been doing this for my campus premeds for a while. PM with an e-mail address so I can use track changes in word. Spelling not my strong suite
melissainsd - I was received very well this cycle, and many of my interviewers mentioned how much they loved my PS. Also, my husband has terrible writing skills so I am constantly fixing his stuff for work. Good luck![/quote]
rocky6 - accepted MD this year. I'm willing to help out any way I can. experience in poli sci, humanities. pm me with statements.
yourmom25 - i've done this 3 years and each year i've had to redo my PS. each time i send it to a proofer, i get good reviews and my interviewers have always had good comments.

Cirrus83

ecking - applying too
Falco2525 - c/o 2011
flaahless - applying too
ihatescience
sonofschmilsson
sunflwr85
- PM me, please
triangles
linuxizer
Depakote
pcguy2
Schaden Freud
Darksmurf
lilnoelle
Astrithir
etsuprinthead - i'll read, PM me. i tutor(ed) writing at our school's "writing and communication center," so i have 3 years of editing under my belt. On vacation until 5/27.
lina123321
Caduceusdude - I completed my double degree in English and Biochemistry at Stanford University. Currently, I am doing my masters in English (Stanford). I would love to critique ur personal statement! My e-mail is caduceus1111(at)yahoo.com
Doc Henry - PM me. Don't have any specific amazing skills, but have always had good feedback about my writing.
caristra - accepted MSTP this year, so priority goes to MD/PHD applicants but I'll do regular MD ones too. My essay got several positive comments this year from interviewers. Minored in english and have been doing this for my campus premeds for a while. PM with an e-mail address so I can use track changes in word. Spelling not my strong suite
melissainsd - I was received very well this cycle, and many of my interviewers mentioned how much they loved my PS. Also, my husband has terrible writing skills so I am constantly fixing his stuff for work. Good luck![/quote]
rocky6 - accepted MD this year. I'm willing to help out any way I can. experience in poli sci, humanities. pm me with statements.
Chickenlittle84 - applying this year, non-science major, good at finding holes in writing. PM please.

Cirrus83

ecking - applying too
Falco2525 - c/o 2011
flaahless - applying too
ihatescience
sonofschmilsson
sunflwr85
- PM me, please
triangles
linuxizer
Depakote
pcguy2
Schaden Freud
Darksmurf
lilnoelle
Astrithir
lina123321
Chickenlittle84 - applying this year, non-science major, good at finding holes in writing. PM please.
sendwich - accepted this past year, semi-nontrad. wrote for both a masters (smp type) program in addition to the PS for the 2006-07 cycle. I've gotten so much help from previous sdners (or current ones?), I'd love to pass on the good luck to future M1's!! please PM me.

Cirrus83

ecking - applying too
Falco2525 - c/o 2011
flaahless - applying too
ihatescience
sonofschmilsson
sunflwr85
- PM me, please
triangles
linuxizer
Depakote
pcguy2
Schaden Freud
Darksmurf
lilnoelle
Astrithir
lina123321
sendwich - accepted this past year, semi-nontrad. wrote for both a masters (smp type) program in addition to the PS for the 2006-07 cycle. I've gotten so much help from previous sdners (or current ones?), I'd love to pass on the good luck to future M1's!! please PM me.
cookiesncream07 - accepted this past cycle, I have nothing to do this summer, and I'd be glad to help. PM me and I'll be at your service! I've worked with A LOT of people who are applying right now, and I'd love to help any of you SDNers, too. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.