List of Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

variablistic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could I get some comments on my list of schools? I probably have a few too many reaches.

Thanks everyone.

MN resident, 3.71 gpa 35P MCAT
lacking ECs

Columbia University College of P & S
Creighton University School of Medicine
Dartmouth Medical School
Duke University School of Medicine
George Washington University Sch of Med & Hlth Sci
Medical College of Wisconsin
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine
Saint Louis University School of Medicine
Temple University School of Medicine
The Ohio State Univ. Coll. of Med. & Pub. Hlth.
University of Chicago – Pritzker
University of Michigan Medical School
University of Minnesota Medical School-Minneapolis
University of Minnesota School of Medicine Duluth
University of North Dakota
University of Wisconsin

Members don't see this ad.

Good list. Duluth? Mayo? University of Wisconsin?

Members don't see this ad :)
Duluth is primary care and directed towards rural medicine, which isn't something I want to do.
Mayo rejected me last year, and I don't have the volunteer experience to be considered. (My advisory committee talked with them last year and discovered that they usually like people with a lot of volunteering.)

University of Wisconsin... I had it on my list, must've forgotten to put it on my MDapps.

To armybound, I'm lacking volunteer experience, although I'm starting to some late stuff next week, and I haven't done research. I have 120 hours of physician shadowing, and I work as a nurse aide, so my clinical isn't lacking.

Thank you for the responses!

Duluth is primary care and directed towards rural medicine, which isn't something I want to do.
Mayo rejected me last year, and I don't have the volunteer experience to be considered. (My advisory committee talked with them last year and discovered that they usually like people with a lot of volunteering.)

University of Wisconsin... I had it on my list, must've forgotten to put it on my MDapps.

To armybound, I'm lacking volunteer experience, although I'm starting to some late stuff next week, and I haven't done research. I have 120 hours of physician shadowing, and I work as a nurse aide, so my clinical isn't lacking.

Thank you for the responses!

This is your second year applying and your only deficiency is volunteer experience (one of the easiest things in the world to do). What are you waiting for man, you've had a year?! :eek:

Research/volunteering is never required, but I guess they do help, especially when looking at top-tier schools like the ones you have listed.

I'll agree with you, I think there are a lot of reaches, since your ECs aren't really that fantastic. If you have the money, I'd add a few more mid-tier schools. Your numbers are great, so I'd hate to see you end up reapplying again just because you reached too far.

This is your second year applying and your only deficiency is volunteer experience (one of the easiest things in the world to do). What are you waiting for man, you've had a year?!

Stupidity? I don't know. Beyond what I'm starting, my only other volunteer experience was as a counselor for a 2-week faith-based activism camp last summer. Like I said, I'm working on it now. I'll certainly have ample experience once secondaries start coming in.

I'll add Duluth and some mid-tiers while probably dropping a couple of the reaches. Thanks.

I updated my list of schools in the first post and reposted here. Looking for some more feedback as I'll be submitting (finally) next week.

Columbia University College of P & S
Creighton University School of Medicine
Dartmouth Medical School
Duke University School of Medicine
George Washington University Sch of Med & Hlth Sci
Medical College of Wisconsin
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine
Saint Louis University School of Medicine
Temple University School of Medicine
The Ohio State Univ. Coll. of Med. & Pub. Hlth.
University of Chicago – Pritzker
University of Michigan Medical School
University of Minnesota Medical School-Minneapolis
University of Minnesota School of Medicine Duluth
University of North Dakota
University of Wisconsin

bumpity bump bump bumpity bump bump look at frosty go
bumpity bump bump bumpity bump bump over the hills of snow!

Alright, I'll bite. I don't like your list very much. You have a good # of top schools, which is fine w/ your #s. But the rest of your schools are state schools or schools that get a TON of applications b/c people consider them safe (temple, GW). I don't have the MSAR in front of me, but state schools don't usually accept a ton of out of state applicants. Some more than others, and I'll just assume that the ones on your list accept lots of out of staters, but why aren't you applying to more mid-tier privates? Or even ranked but not top 20 schools (ex: univ. of rochester, nyu, tufts, etc.). I think temple will throw your application out b/c your stats are too high and GW will do the same unless you have a very compelling reason for applying to them (they get a ton of applications and need a way to sort through them). Best of luck.

I remember reading somewhere that Minnesota and Wisconsin have a reciprocity agreement, but maybe that only applies to undergrad and tuition paid?