List poster presentation?

Started by Kardio
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Kardio

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The work was presented on a poster in a conference in another country. I was listed as an author on the poster itself. I was not present at the conference.

Does this count as a “poster presentation”?
 
Last edited:
I was a research assistant at a neuroscience lab during my senior year. This culminated to about 400 hours of in-lab time. My work involved MatLab programming (for data exploration), running operant chambers/general experiment management, literature review and building small voltmeters. One of my LORs is from the PI.

Over the year, I wrote two progress reports to get credits. The results of study have not been published. The work, however, was presented on a poster in a neuroscience conference in another country. I was listed as a middle author on the poster itself.

Does this count as a “poster presentation”?
Yes, as you were listed as an author, you can list this poster on a med school application with its citation under a Presentations/Posters tag. Be sure to mention that the Xth author was the presenter. Research is a team sport and you want to give credit where it is due.
 
I was a research assistant at a neuroscience lab during my senior year. This culminated to about 400 hours of in-lab time. My work involved MatLab programming (for data exploration), running operant chambers/general experiment management, literature review and building small voltmeters. One of my LORs is from the PI.

Over the year, I wrote two progress reports to get credits. The results of study have not been published. The work, however, was presented on a poster in a neuroscience conference in another country. I was listed as a middle author on the poster itself. I was not present at the conference.

Does this count as a “poster presentation”?

You didn't present the poster but you can still say a poster was presented by the first author or whoever presented it in the same area you describe the research. I was author on two abstracts one being presented as a talk and I was presenting a separate poster on the other one at the same conference so i mentioned both and just made it clear I wasn't the one actually presenting the first but I was an author on it just to show I contributed to both.
 
Great. I originally thought I had to be the one who made the literal poster or did the literal presentation for this to count. I will be sure to explicitly clarify who the presenter was and that I was not present at the conference.

Thank you @freedoctor17 and @Catalystik