Listing a Fraternity on AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the truth

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything definitive about whether its good or bad to include a fraternity as an activity? I've heard that some schools look down upon membership, however, there could be some value to listing leadership positions held within a fraternity...

Members don't see this ad.

i was an officer in my fraternity so i definitiely listed it as a leadership position. i would have listed membership even if i wasnt an officer.

I had the same problem with listing my sorority activities. If you were really involved (officer, philanthropic activities, etc.) then you should include it. If your experience consisted of strictly partying, then I would probably leave that part of your life out of your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
nlyoung said:
I had the same problem with listing my sorority activities. If you were really involved (officer, philanthropic activities, etc.) then you should include it. If your experience consisted of strictly partying, then I would probably leave that part of your life out of your application.

what she said.
-mota

DaMota said:
what she said.
-mota

I listed my fraternity. I don't have much leadership involvement, but it shaped my collegiate career and its part of my life. I figure if they want a good idea of who I am, they need to know about my fraternity. Also, I think it shows that you are social.

I listed my sorority...not that many pre-med/science majors are in greek organizations and I think it helps your application in the sense that it makes you somewhat unique because i'm sure every pre-med volunteered, research, etc etc...but not that many joined greek organzations. Plus I think it makes you more well-rounded. Even if you didn't have a position many orgnizations have philanthropies and i'm sure you participated in some events so you can always talk about that...and of course about the social/inter-personal skills you received from your experiences.

If you put a lot of time into it, you should list it, especially if you can talk about things you did other than drinking. I think most adcoms realize that fraternities do other things besides partying. Besides, if you put time into it, you want them to know that. I think any activity that takes a lot of your time (crappy job you work to pay your bills, volunteer work, hobby) should be listed so they know where your time went.