Listing "W" on AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rain Rein Reign

Reaction score
I have a question regarding withdrawing from a term. I completely withdrew from my college for the Winter and Spring terms of my freshman year. It's listed as "W" without any course titles. It literally looks like this:

Fall Quarter 2014
CLASS 101. 5 UNITS X GRADE
CLASS 102. 5 UNITS X GRADE
CLASS 103. 5 UNITS X GRADE

Winter Quarter 2014
Withdrew 02/24/2014

Spring Quarter 2014
Withdrew 04/01/2014

Fall Quarter 2015
CLASS 201 5 UNITS X GRADE
Etc...

What should I list on the AMCAS application for this sort of situation? Do I need to list anything?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
List exactly what’s on your transcript. I’m sure if they have any questions they’ll ask you or the school to clarify

Reactions: 1 user
How would you go about listing it? There's unfortunately no associated class on my transcript.

Members don't see this ad :)
You need to list every course that you withdrew from. And therefore it is up to you to find out from your Registrar or you memory what they were. Not being listed on a transcript is not a reason for not fulfilling this requirement

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast..._amcas_2021_applicant_guide_42220.pdf#page=40
If you withdrew entirely from a school before completing courses for a specific term, you must still list each course for which you were registered that term,
Directly from the link you posted above:

"If you withdrew entirely from a school before completing courses for a specific term, you must still list each course for which you were registered that term, with Withdrawal as the Special Course Type. If the school does not issue transcripts for students who withdraw entirely, you must ask the registrar’s office to forward an official letter (with an AMCAS Transcript Request Form attached) indicating that no transcript is available because of institutional policies."

Listing courses that are not reflected on his transcript will just create verification delays for him if he doesn't follow the specific AMCAS instructions!

Directly from the link you posted above:

"If you withdrew entirely from a school before completing courses for a specific term, you must still list each course for which you were registered that term, with Withdrawal as the Special Course Type. If the school does not issue transcripts for students who withdraw entirely, you must ask the registrar’s office to forward an official letter (with an AMCAS Transcript Request Form attached) indicating that no transcript is available because of institutional policies."

Listing courses that are not reflected on his transcript will just create verification delays for him if he doesn't follow the specific AMCAS instructions!

It seems like this individual does have a transcript though - it merely does not list any classes for withdrawn semesters. The poster's transcript does exist if only due classes taken later. This tidbit also seems like a complete withdrawal from a school and never returning.

I'm going to say contact AMCAS and try to explain things as best you can and get written (email) info regarding the action necessary.

It seems like this individual does have a transcript though - it merely does not list any classes for withdrawn semesters. The poster's transcript does exist if only due classes taken later. This tidbit also seems like a complete withdrawal from a school and never returning.

I'm going to say contact AMCAS and try to explain things as best you can and get written (email) info regarding the action necessary.
Correct -- the issue is that his transcripts do not list the courses he withdrew from. That's why he's going to need the letter. If he lists the courses, it won't be reflected on the transcript, resulting in the verification delay. If he doesn't list the courses, he's not giving them what they want. They are asking for a letter on school letterhead explaining this!

You are correct that it should be obvious based on what is on the transcript, but, it's a bureaucracy, and it's very likely going to be an issue if they don't see exactly what they are expecting or asking for. From what everyone else is posting, good luck actually being able to speak to anyone at AMCAS!