Little brother Pre-Med, got a D in Chemistry. What to tell him?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perforin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm actually a 2nd-year medical student, but am trying to help my little brother wind his way through pre-med stuff. He's a freshman. He just took General Chemistry and got a D+. He has also taken a biology class last semester where he got an A-. He has the capability, but this semester he just got caught up in other stuff and didn't put in the time.

What should I tell him? Anybody have any experience with people getting a D and still getting in to Medical School?

He knows that if he is going to have any shot he needs buckle down and get a whole bunch of A's. But, if anybody knows how bad this D is going to haunt him, let me know. Should he just go D.O. or Caribbean? I wish I had some encouraging things to tell him. Help me out here!

Members don't see this ad.

IMO, he needs to retake the class since it's a prerequisite, and because he probably doesn't understand the material well enough to excel on the MCAT. He hasn't ruined his chances though if he turns things around immediately and starts making enough As to balance the bad grade. Maybe this will be his wakeup call that he has to care about these details to be successful. DO is a fine choice too. With their application service, a retaken grade replaces a previous grade, allowing faster improvement of the application GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
IMO, he needs to retake the class since it's a prerequisite, and because he probably doesn't understand the material well enough to excel on the MCAT. He hasn't ruined his chances though if he turns things around immediately and starts making enough As to balance the bad grade. Maybe this will be his wakeup call that he has to care about these details to be successful. DO is a fine choice too. With their application service, a retaken grade replaces a previous grade, allowing faster improvement of the application GPA.

Is that true with all DO schools, that a retaken grade replaces a previous grade? Or is that school specific?

But, if anybody knows how bad this D is going to haunt him, let me know. Should he just go D.O. or Caribbean?

Really? You dont sound like you been though the application process AT ALL. 1 class doesnt make a difference if he got a F in that class he still has good shot at MD if he tires.

And yes DO replaces old grade with new if they are the same class.

I would also suggest a retake.

But one thing I think I would do is consult anybody (preferably administration or faculty) you might know on the admissions committee and pass on any advice they might give on how successful applicants were able to recover from a similar situation/grade.

Hey man, your little bro is fine if he gets his act together. In 2000-2001 I attended ga tech. I was academically dismissed after two semesters with a 1.1 cgpa. during those two semesters i earned 2 c's everything else was d's and f's. After a 3 year stint in the army i started over and was accepted this cycle (stateside md), but the ga tech year counted so all the schools that didn't pre-screen me out for my 3.43 cum saw a bunch of d'sand f's.

Since it was his first semester he can overcome it by having an impeccable record from here out, and he needs to retake the class. In his PS he will talk about how this semester was a wake up call and it served to re-focus him academically as he was dedicated to becoming a physician etc. He's fine now, any more of this and he'll be digging himself a big hole. No need to start thinking DO or carib if he wasnt already.

Really? You dont sound like you been though the application process AT ALL. 1 class doesnt make a difference if he got a F in that class he still has good shot at MD if he tires.

I'm not familiar with how a D looks on a transcript, so sorry I am so clueless. I just never had to look into this problem when I applied, but I'm trying to help him out now.

Hey man, your little bro is fine if he gets his act together. In 2000-2001 I attended ga tech. I was academically dismissed after two semesters with a 1.1 cgpa. during those two semesters i earned 2 c's everything else was d's and f's. After a 3 year stint in the army i started over and was accepted this cycle (stateside md), but the ga tech year counted so all the schools that didn't pre-screen me out for my 3.43 cum saw a bunch of d'sand f's.

Since it was his first semester he can overcome it by having an impeccable record from here out, and he needs to retake the class. In his PS he will talk about how this semester was a wake up call and it served to re-focus him academically as he was dedicated to becoming a physician etc. He's fine now, any more of this and he'll be digging himself a big hole. No need to start thinking DO or carib if he wasnt already.

Good to know. That'll brighten his mood, I hope.

I got a C and D+ in a class early on. Retook it a third time after getting my act together and got an A-. I got in and will be starting med school at a US MD school next fall. Hope is not lost.

I'm actually a 2nd-year medical student, but am trying to help my little brother wind his way through pre-med stuff. He's a freshman. He just took General Chemistry and got a D+. He has also taken a biology class last semester where he got an A-. He has the capability, but this semester he just got caught up in other stuff and didn't put in the time.

What should I tell him? Anybody have any experience with people getting a D and still getting in to Medical School?

He knows that if he is going to have any shot he needs buckle down and get a whole bunch of A's. But, if anybody knows how bad this D is going to haunt him, let me know. Should he just go D.O. or Caribbean? I wish I had some encouraging things to tell him. Help me out here!

One D won't matter. The thing to do now is stop and evaluate exactly why he got a D, and make sure he doesn't do it again. Obviously there was a big problem - a D is pretty challenging to get unless you are flat out not trying or not turning in assignments.

Because this was a prereq course, he will have to retake it.

I got a C and D+ in a class early on. Retook it a third time after getting my act together and got an A-. I got in and will be starting med school at a US MD school next fall. Hope is not lost.

Nicely done. I hope he can do the same.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nicely done. I hope he can do the same.

I got 3Cs and a W my first year (2.3 BCPM GPA). Lots of Bs my second year. Overall GPA is a 3.5. Look at my MDapps link.

It appears that adcoms can get over almost anything your first year, especially if you had a good reason, as long as you're pretty fantastic from there on out and you really show you learned from it (i.e. mention but do not blame said reason).

Go D.O. or Mediterranean over one D? You sure you're a med student?... :idea:

...What should I tell him? Anybody have any experience with people getting a D and still getting in to Medical School...
Stuff happens. It is early enough for him to work harder. This is an early wake-up call. It does NOT preclude him from pursuing medical school... it just needs to be a blip and not the start of a trend.

Go D.O. or Mediterranean over one D? You sure you're a med student?... :idea:

Yeah dude I'm a med student. I'm not bragging, but the lowest grade I got was a B+, in one class, as an undergrad. So no, I don't know how a D looks on a freaking transcript and how that affects your app. Why is that so hard for some pre-meds to comprehend? I've had 3 comments about the same topic you've mentioned.

That is like asking me what happens if you commit a felon and apply, how does that affect your application. I have never committed a felon, so I wouldn't have a clue how that would affect your application, I never wasted my time looking into that.

And no, I am not putting getting a D and committing a felon in the same category. They are just two examples (very different examples) of two things on an application I know nothing about because they weren't applicable to me and I didn't want to waste my time researching into it.

Thanks for the actual responses I got from people that may end up encouraging my little bro.

Yeah dude I'm a med student. I'm not bragging, but the lowest grade I got was a B+, in one class, as an undergrad. So no, I don't know how a D looks on a freaking transcript and how that affects your app. Why is that so hard for some pre-meds to comprehend? I've had 3 comments about the same topic you've mentioned.

That is like asking me what happens if you commit a felon and apply, how does that affect your application. I have never committed a felon, so I wouldn't have a clue how that would affect your application, I never wasted my time looking into that.

And no, I am not putting getting a D and committing a felon in the same category. They are just two examples (very different examples) of two things on an application I know nothing about because they weren't applicable to me and I didn't want to waste my time researching into it.

Thanks for the actual responses I got from people that may end up encouraging my little bro.

Ok. Chill out... You posted "the question". I know you're sort of new, so I'll let you know. Someone, without fail, asks whether or not having a 2.5 GPA the first semester or X grade in Y class is going to effect their chances to get in and usually there is someone nice enough to post that a single grade or a single bad semester will not completely destroy their chances to get into medical school, but they will definitely need to step it up from now on.

Users are also weary that you've been through the application process because we see posts like this every week... and people turn out fine. But the users on SDN should remember that not everyone who applies to medical school uses SDN... ;) or they must not talk to others around them about former grades.

So, like everyone has said here already... It is a good idea to retake the class as it is tested on the MCAT and it is a pre-req for entering medical school and all of those classes should be at least a C/B (differing opinions). So good luck to your brother and to you and welcome to SDN!

Edit: Dang, you joined before I did! Nevertheless, this type of post is very common.

If he got an A- in Biology, he doesn't have to feel sad about the D at all because like you said, it's not like he's not capable. He simply didn't put time into it.

Therefore, you should tell him that he's got it in him and that he just needs to try it again without whatever distractions he had.

your "little brother" haha, yeah im pretty sure a 2nd year med student would know what to tell him

Lol...nice try OP. You sure you aren't the one with the D in Gen Chem?

Lol...nice try OP. You sure you aren't the one with the D in Gen Chem?

I think this is why I don't post, or visit, SDN more. I am a 2nd year medical student. Nobody knows who I am, so why would I make up some random story about my little brother? If it was me that got the D I would flat out come and say it. Pretty sure I'm anonymous here and don't care at all what people think of me.

This is actually getting pretty funny to me. Why is it so hard to understand for some people that I, a 2nd year medical student, don't understand what kind of damage a D would do to your application? I never needed to know that when I applied.

Anyways, I got some good advice from a few normal people that will help my little brother.

You shouldn't be so harsh on the other posters.

For several reasons

1) It may be unfair but most people are going to assume that since you've gone through the process, you would know the answer by now. I mean couldn't you just go and ask the admissions office yourself for a direct answer?
2) Your brother should be here posting not you. It's natural to act as a bigger brother but he's old enough to take care of himself. You can't coddle him forever.
3) Some people are really just that insecure about themselves for the same reasons anyone ever says "I have a friend...." It's for the exact reason that we're talking to anonymous people that we can't assume they're confident or brave enough to admit they're discussing themselves.
4) Please don't make your last post out to be an insult against SDN in general. As you admit yourself, you hardly ever visit or post. If you read the other threads, people generally tend to be supportive.

I think this is why I don't post, or visit, SDN more. I am a 2nd year medical student. Nobody knows who I am, so why would I make up some random story about my little brother? If it was me that got the D I would flat out come and say it. Pretty sure I'm anonymous here and don't care at all what people think of me.

This is actually getting pretty funny to me. Why is it so hard to understand for some people that I, a 2nd year medical student, don't understand what kind of damage a D would do to your application? I never needed to know that when I applied.

Anyways, I got some good advice from a few normal people that will help my little brother.

It's amazing how hard it is to get a pleasant, respectful answer sometimes... Sorry for all your trouble on here! I know you've received all the advice you need, but perhaps as additional encouragement, I've been offered an interview and I had a handful of C's my first year... Improvement is looked upon very favorably! :thumbup:

Best of luck to you and your brother!

Ok. Chill out... You posted "the question".
So how about you answer the question without being much of a jerk after he spent his time trying to make a well formidable post that was seeking helpful answers? Oh that's right, users like you have such an egotistical attitude so you give people like him a hard time, then tell him to "Chill out" because you really have no intent of helping him, then justify your rep by adding advice which was previously posted while having absolutely no experience or attention to the main matter.
your "little brother" haha, yeah im pretty sure a 2nd year med student would know what to tell him
Why on earth would he go out of his way to fictionalize himself in a forum using an avatar that would otherwise be completely anonymous when he could just tell the truth?

You shouldn't be so harsh on the other posters.

For several reasons
Because being hypocritical makes your position any better on this forum? Here's some advice:
a) Understand the situation before posting.
b) Don't try to make the situation better when you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.
c) Try to be helpful on a forum dedicated to help.

Not everybody fails undergrad.
-----------------------------
Honestly don't understand why people go out of their way to do this. Sorry Perforin.

John31

I don't quite see how we're being so hypocritical. Your post is as useless as mine except mine tries to tell the OP that he should just guide his brother here rather than do the work for him. We don't have to act always super-nice to all posters as some people just don't bother to do the research themselves when the search function is right there themselves. I certainly don't appreciate all the flak lately from new users who post and then complain that SDN is not very helpful when I feel (and I'm sure Crunch does) we've given lots of good advice. In any case, we almost always offer something valuable to take away and some of that is better explaining the situation or rephrasing the question. That's all I wanted to say.

The the OP,
I'm sure your brother will be fine. It's just his freshman year. His academic difficulties are more of a concern than medical school admission. Focus on that.

Is he a first semester freshman? If so, he has plenty of time to redeem himself. Does he have any other BCPM grades so far(other than the A- in bio)? Why did he do poorly in Gen Chem?

If he did poorly because the professor sucked, because he didn't try hard enough or because he was having issues adjusting to college life (who doesn't at first?), then tell him to just take it again and nail it this time. 1 D+ is not a deal-breaker. (I got a C back in gen chem 1 and I'm still getting interview offers.)

If he did poorly because he just didn't like it and could not otherwise motivate himself to get through it, tell him to either use his goals as motivation or get used to the fact that on the road to medical school, he will not like every class he takes and that this is not an easy road. So he should go into it, expecting to work really hard and deal with a lot of tough stuff.

Finally, make sure this is really what he wants to do. A lot of freshmen (and sophomores! and juniors!) change their minds about the pre-med track for various reasons. Remind him that just b/c you're in med school, doesn't mean he should feel pressured to follow in your footsteps, and that there are many other great careers out there that he can make for himself. Good luck!