Little help plz.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spinjamin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could someone list the less competitive D.O schools for me. Like WVSOM, AZCOM...Etc. Thanks. (EDIT) Heres the thing I Have a Transfer gpa of 3.21, but a university gpa of 3.43 due to not dropping an entire semester of classes. My science gpa is a 4.0 which may change since the only classes I have left are orgo I and II. I am taking these this summer which should be fun!! No MCAT yet(I know a lot rests on this). My last 70 hours are all A's, but I am anticipating not getting much love from the adcoms of the texas allo schools due to the early gpa. I guess my question would be better phrased by asking the name of the DO schools that are not as preferential to in state residents as Texas.

Members don't see this ad.

Spinjamin said:
Could someone list the less competitive D.O schools for me. Like WVSOM, AZCOM...Etc. Thanks
They're all about the same in terms of GPA and/or MCAT scores. Make sure you pay attention to residency statistics or the % of OOS. Your question is pretty subjective. Providing your GPA/MCAT and inquiring whether certain DO schools are attainable would be a more useful question.

HemaOncoDoc said:
They're all about the same in terms of GPA and/or MCAT scores. Make sure you pay attention to residency statistics or the % of OOS. Your question is pretty subjective. Providing your GPA/MCAT and inquiring whether certain DO schools are attainable would be a more useful question.
actually there is a decent amount of variation...MCAT ~28-22 and GPA 3.3ish to around 3.55.

http://www.kcom.edu/faculty/chamberlain/ranmcat.htm

http://www.vpul.upenn.edu/careerservices/gradprof/healthprof/premed/osteopathicstats.html

remember that you can't go solely based on numbers...some schools w/o the highest stats have some of the lowest acceptance rates (ie around only 10% accepted)...can't find that article right now...

Members don't see this ad :)
HemaOncoDoc said:

I have a similar question!

Lets see, Im a 3.0 gpa, havent taken MCATS yet.
A summer at a pharmacutical company, and thinking about spending a summer in Africa, doing some HIV related community service.
I was wondering what are some good DO programs for primary care - I would like to see a lot of patients :)

Thanks!

Sorry hema may be a noob question but what is this OOS of which you speak.

Don't second guess yourselves, apply to any school you think you would be happy at and just go for it. Of course, do your best on the MCAT and everything will work out for you just don't sell yourself short and really work hard on the MCAT, it is very important.

Spinjamin said:
Could someone list the less competitive D.O schools for me. Like WVSOM, AZCOM...Etc. Thanks. (EDIT) Heres the thing I Have a Transfer gpa of 3.21, but a university gpa of 3.43 due to not dropping an entire semester of classes. My science gpa is a 4.0 which may change since the only classes I have left are orgo I and II. I am taking these this summer which should be fun!! No MCAT yet(I know a lot rests on this). My last 70 hours are all A's, but I am anticipating not getting much love from the adcoms of the texas allo schools due to the early gpa. I guess my question would be better phrased by asking the name of the DO schools that are not as preferential to in state residents as Texas.

I applied to the following schools:

AZCOM, KCOM, DMU-COM, TCOM, OSU-COM, and CCOM.

I found AZCOM to be the least competitive of all of these, followed by KCOM. I recieved interviews from them with a 24 MCAT. I heard from AZCOM a month before KCOM.

DMU-COM and OSU-COM were moderately competitive. I didn't recieve interviews from these schools until my 28 MCAT.

TCOM and CCOM were the most competitive. I was rejected from these schools prior to interview.

This is based on my experience as a Texas resident.

n0chi said:

A summer at a pharmacutical company, and thinking about spending a summer in Africa, doing some HIV related community service.
I was wondering what are some good DO programs for primary care - I would like to see a lot of patients :)

Thanks!

All DO schools are good for primary care. Base your decision on something else.

n0chi said:

Thanks!
You DO quesiton was already answered, but as to your stats, it depends on your MCAT scores 25+ will let you give you "good odds." To be competitive, aim as high as possible. 28+ will get you interviews. I've always wanted to go to south africa to do some HIV community service. I'm envious. Maybe I still will this summer.