Little volunteer experience.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cubbybear2334

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi and thank you for any replys,

Here are my stats:

From a small private liberal arts school, not well known

--sGPA: 4.00
--GPA--3.92
My practice AAMC MCAT's are in the low 30's but I am working my butt off to get it higher.

I am a CNA and have complied about 700 hours of work, about 1500 by the time I apply.
-- have shadowed a family doctor.
Member of many honors societies and am doing an honors thesis.
Have and am currently doing inorganic chemistry research.

My only volunteer experiences deal with spending approximatively 100 hours at a second hand clothing store helping file donations.

And finally I plan on applying during the 2010-2011 cycle.

Thank you again for any responses.

Members don't see this ad.

Your clinical experience is terrific. If you could shadow another 1-2 specialties for a grand total among all physicians of 60-80 hours, that would be nice to see. Honors societies don't help you at all, unless you have a leadership position. But list them all anyway along with deans list, etc, in a single space (we all have them and we all list them anyway). Leadership and teaching activities are well regarded in the med school application process, as is nonmedical community service. Is the mentioned activity current? How long have you been doing the research?

things that remain unknown for now could make a big difference later when you apply like if you intend to publish your research and what your MCAT score turns out to be.

your chances from there depend on your state of residency and list of schools.

i agree with catalystik that doing leadership or tutoring could help your application but with so little time left I would just focus on getting a high a score as possible on your MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think volunteering experience at this point will make or break you. Hopefully your personal statement can attest to the sorts of altruism that adcoms usually want to see from volunteering. The other component of volunteering, the exposure to the clinical environment, you obviously have locked down by being a CNA. Just study hard and blow up the MCAT and you'll be fine.

i agree with catalystik that doing leadership or tutoring could help your application but with so little time left I would just focus on getting a high a score as possible on your MCAT.
I was sorta hoping there might be some unmentioned experience, past or in progress, that the OP forgot to mention, not knowing it was pertinent.