LIU or reapply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Daisy705

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm pretty crushed right now and looking for some guidance. I just got waitlisted for my in-state school (WSU) and I have already been rejected from Colorado. I am still waiting to hear from Iowa and I have been excepted at LIU but I am honestly having some doubts, the cost for LIU is pretty much double WSU and the program is so new, I am also not big on the fact that they do not have their own hospital. However, now that I have gotten in somewhere I am scared to reject it and reapply for WSU next year. I feel like I have a very average application and am not sure what I could really do within the next year to make that big of a difference.

My cumulative and science GPA are both 3.8
Last 45 credit hours is a 3.94

I have 800 hours of vet experience
I also have around 500 hours of general animal experience.

I have spent the last 2 years work for a large animal barn at WSU and I am also doing a research project on animal nutrition. I also am graduating in 3 years due to taking 18 credit semesters.

Is there anything I could do to set my application over the top or should I just take the debt and go to LIU if that ends up being my only option? I do have lots of other volunteer experience and club involvement and to my knowledge had 3 really good letters or rec I just didn't see a relevant need to list everything I have ever done.

Thank you for any advice you have!

Members don't see this ad.

absolutely reapply. you are also still waiting to hear from other schools and may be taken off the wait list. don't give up yet.

if you don't get in, try something you've never done over the next year. it doesn't even have to be veterinary related. most things have translatable skills you can take with you throughout your career.

I would reapply. It may not be worth the tuition cost, moving cost, rent, etc especially if you are feeling doubtful of the school being the right fit for you. Definitely if you can ask for a file review from the schools that you were rejected/waitlisted at to get their insight as that would be the best way to know what they see as weak points.

Your grades are good! You did not specifically specify the breakdown of the hours for your veterinary experience but I would recommend diversifying between now and the application deadline. If you have all equine vet experience, shadow/volunteer/work at a small animal clinic, at a wildlife center, a farm with a variety of livestock. There is a lot of options out there that may be daunting to look for and tackle but it never hurts to call up a clinic and ask if you would be able to shadow for a day or apply to a job posting. Through your research, do you work with a veterinarian and actual animals? It is possible to count this toward your veterinary hours as well.

SDN usually has a thread that vet students/veterinarians review applicant's personal statements/essays to give them feedback before applying. This may be a useful resource for you.