Tufts vs. LIU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

isa678

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I’ve been recently accepted to Tufts after being accepted to LIU (both OOS for me). I’m torn between the two and don’t know which environment would be best for me. I’m really big on student collaboration and value teamwork which is why I’m a little scared to commit to Tufts even though it’s my DREAM school. I’m scared that Tufts being a more established school, means a more competitive atmosphere. I also just don’t know the difference between the two areas as I haven’t been to either towns. Please share any insight you have!!

Members don't see this ad.

I’m really big on student collaboration and value teamwork which is why I’m a little scared to commit to Tufts even though it’s my DREAM school. I’m scared that Tufts being a more established school, means a more competitive atmosphere
It won’t.

Go to the cheaper school, though I say that with the caveat that I highly value a teaching hospital and if LIU costs less than Tufts, I’d still recommend you choose Tufts. There are opportunities afforded by having a teaching hospital right there that distributive model programs just cannot provide, and while their students graduate as perfectly fine veterinarians, it is something that I encourage people to consider. There’s just something really great about being able to walk down the hall and hang out in the specialty of your choice and learn.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your reply! I agree, that’s something I really value about Tufts. Upfront the tuition of LIU is slightly less than Tufts, but the COL is way higher and Tufts is known to give better financial aid packages. Right now I just need reassurance that the atmosphere will foster an uplifting learning experience!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your reply! I agree, that’s something I really value about Tufts. Upfront the tuition of LIU is slightly less than Tufts, but the COL is way higher and Tufts is known to give better financial aid packages. Right now I just need reassurance that the atmosphere will foster an uplifting learning experience!
I can't speak to the culture at Tufts since I don't go there, but I would be surprised if any program really fostered a competitive environment. You already competed to get there and at the end of the day, there's a DVM for each student; it's up to them to get over the bar and to help each other over in order to get it. It's going to vary more by the individuals within a class than anything else - the vibe from the c/o 2020 vs c/o 2021 at my program was very different.

@PippyPony, @Dinashadow, and @kaydubs are all Tufts graduates who could give more perspective on that program specifically. I'm sure there are current Tufts students posting on its c/o 2028 hopefuls thread, too.

Hi! I'm a current third-year student at Tufts.
I agree that competitiveness depends on class. I don't feel like my class is super competitive. At least within my like area of interest, people seem to build each other up rather than try to drag each other down. I've definitely found my people here, and it was something I was kind of worried about in the beginning for sure. I've heard mixed reviews about the first and second year classes, so it's better to hear from them rather than for me to speculate on their competitiveness.

Something to note, though, is that Tufts is introducing a new curriculum for the class of 2028, and they're also increasing class size to 130 - which might not seem like a lot, but it's a pretty large jump. That said, based on what I've seen, I don't think they're changing all that much in the new curriculum.

Do you have any specific questions about the school, or the area?

Hi! I'm a current third-year student at Tufts.
I agree that competitiveness depends on class. I don't feel like my class is super competitive. At least within my like area of interest, people seem to build each other up rather than try to drag each other down. I've definitely found my people here, and it was something I was kind of worried about in the beginning for sure. I've heard mixed reviews about the first and second year classes, so it's better to hear from them rather than for me to speculate on their competitiveness.

Something to note, though, is that Tufts is introducing a new curriculum for the class of 2028, and they're also increasing class size to 130 - which might not seem like a lot, but it's a pretty large jump. That said, based on what I've seen, I don't think they're changing all that much in the new curriculum.

Do you have any specific questions about the school, or the area?
Thank you for the insight! I was just wondering how prepared you feel to take the NAVLE, how connected you feel to your program, and what you guys do to relieve stress/if there's anything to do in the surrounding area. I definitely want to feel like I have the option to do other things in my free time like bowl, roller skate, go to new restaurants, etc.

Thank you for the insight! I was just wondering how prepared you feel to take the NAVLE, how connected you feel to your program, and what you guys do to relieve stress/if there's anything to do in the surrounding area. I definitely want to feel like I have the option to do other things in my free time like bowl, roller skate, go to new restaurants, etc.
NAVLE's a tough one. I'm not a great test-taker, and better at hands-on learning - so I don't feel great about NAVLE, but I think that has less to do with school and more with who I am as a person. I've taken a couple board exams in the past so I feel like I have a guesstimate of what the experience will be like, and it makes it both a little better and a little worse at the same time. I've been using VetPrep to study and given my clinics schedule - we start in like, two weeks - I'm likely to take NAVLE in December toward the end of the testing window. So I do feel like I have time, and that's the nicer thing about having a curriculum that concludes after 2.5 years - I get a little more time to study for boards, in a sense.
Based on conversations I've had, I'm not sure my peers feel super well-prepared for NAVLE either, but honestly I have my doubts that it's an exam that anyone walks into feeling super great about.

Stress-relief is again kind of a person-to-person better. I'm fine on my own playing guitar or drawing or whatnot; I also like to go into Boston or Worcester, or visit Maine. When I'd get too stressed with school work, I even sometimes used to skip class to visit an externship site and watch the lecture recordings later. I have a ton of physical energy, so I'm often out and about playing different sports. That said - my GPA is rather low. It's something I'm comfortable with, but again, depends on the person. But most people I know seem to get out and about, at least once in a while.

I feel like how connected I feel to my program is kinda deep. I don't know. I have been involved in a work-study project since first year, and I've found a great mentor in that endeavor. I think it's more about the few professors that I connect with, and my solid group of friends, rather than the program as a whole if that makes sense. It's kinda what you make it.

Thank you so much for giving me so much insight it's definitely helpful!