Live at home or on campus?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I live at home or on campus?

• Live at home even if it's stressful, because you will save money.

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • On campus would be better, since home is stressful, even with debt.

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • Find a place in town with a room mate. It will be away from home, but not too expensive.

Votes: 15 44.1%

• Total voters

crazybob

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know many people talk about the advantages of living at home and stuff, but I've been wondering about this. Living at home is relatively stressful for me, so I've been considering living on campus.

Ok the poll is up.

1. I know living at home saves money, but it's stressful for me (for personal reasons). I also lose time to commuting and I don't stay on campus very often, so my socializing and studying with classmates is somewhat limited
  2. I'll know more people on campus, and I won't have to worry about commuting (except for the times I want to go home). It will be more expensive than living at home, and I will have to completely take care of myself (not worried about that at all). I'm just concerned about it costing more.
  3. Having a room mate would be a bit cheaper than living on campus, and it would still be away from home. But having a room mate might be stressful too if I end up not liking my room mate.
Another thing to consider is that my school is a 20-minute drive from home.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I know many people talk about the advantages of living at home and stuff, but I've been wondering about this. Living at home is relatively stressful for me, so I've been considering living on campus.

Ok the poll is up.

1. I know living at home saves money, but it's stressful for me (for personal reasons). I also lose time to commuting and I don't stay on campus very often, so my socializing and studying with classmates is somewhat limited
  2. I'll know more people on campus, and I won't have to worry about commuting (except for the times I want to go home). It will be more expensive than living at home, and I will have to completely take care of myself (not worried about that at all). I'm just concerned about it costing more.
  3. Having a room mate would be a bit cheaper than living on campus, and it would still be away from home. But having a room mate might be stressful too if I end up not liking my room mate.
Another thing to consider is that my school is a 20-minute drive from home.

It is too bad that living at home is stressful, cause a 20 minute drive is pretty awesome. In the end do what is best for you, but I will say that i wish I only had a 20 minute drive. As far as getting a roommate goes, good luck. It is a crap-shot as to who you get. I really wish that I could live at home (too far away), I rent a room out of someone's house. I like it, but I got lucky. The home owner is very nice. You may want to consider looking into if anyone is renting a room in the area you want to live. Then you can meet with them and see if it seems like a good fit. I like it this way more so than trying to find a reliable roommate to share an apartment with. Whatever you choose, good luck!

I'd shoot for whichever living situation would give the most enriching experience and not based on monetary means.

Einstein once said "Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted."

Besides, you can always go back to suckling the parental teats if you don't like it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Find a super-cheap place. My parents live about a 35-minute drive from campus, yet I choose to rent an apartment with roommates, since getting a car, paying insurance, gas would be barely more expensive and definitely more stressful than not having a car and living at the apartment. Also this 35 minutes is without traffic, sometimes it would be double this with traffic, and city driving here is not safe at all. Just shop around and find something on craigslist. It says you're a P1 now, so why not talk to other P1s and see if someone wants to rent a place with you?

Live at home. The debt ain't worth it...

It seems like 10-15K more debt than what I would originally have. Is it still not worth it? I would originally have ended up with approximately 65K. This would bring me up to 75-80K.

Find a super-cheap place. My parents live about a 35-minute drive from campus, yet I choose to rent an apartment with roommates, since getting a car, paying insurance, gas would be barely more expensive and definitely more stressful than not having a car and living at the apartment. Also this 35 minutes is without traffic, sometimes it would be double this with traffic, and city driving here is not safe at all. Just shop around and find something on craigslist. It says you're a P1 now, so why not talk to other P1s and see if someone wants to rent a place with you?

I don't really know anyone who would get along with me well enough to be room mates, out of the ones I know who are not living with room mates.

It seems like 10-15K more debt than what I would originally have. Is it still not worth it? I would originally have ended up with approximately 65K. This would bring me up to 75-80K.

I don't really know anyone who would get along with me well enough to be room mates, out of the ones I know who are not living with room mates.

That's all? Hell, nevermind then. Living alone was like $~800-1000/month for me. Rent ($650), utilities ($200-400)...over 6 years, that **** adds up...

That's all? Hell, nevermind then. Living alone was like $~800-1000/month for me. Rent ($650), utilities ($200-400)...over 6 years, that **** adds up...

My school is 4 years and I'm an in-state resident, so that part is fine.

If I live on campus, it's about $600 including utilities, internet, and cable.

As soon as my on campus housing assignment works out, I'll be living in the residence hall. With NO room mate. YES :laugh:

You had to pay that much in WV? I'm paying about half that in Buffalo...would've thought the two are pretty similar.

Morgantown has ridiculous rental rates. That's why I bought a trailer. Brought that down to $250/month.

Actually - for the OP, is a trailer an option? There's some great value in those things. $10k will get you a nice, used one. Lot rent is cheap...

Morgantown has ridiculous rental rates. That's why I bought a trailer. Brought that down to $250/month.

Actually - for the OP, is a trailer an option? There's some great value in those things. $10k will get you a nice, used one. Lot rent is cheap...

The closest trailer place I know about is in a town 40~45 minutes away from school (and 25 minutes from home) :laugh:

Having just one trailer in the middle of nowhere would be kinda awkward though. I'm not sure if I would feel safe enough to live in one.

My school is 4 years and I'm an in-state resident, so that part is fine.

If I live on campus, it's about $600 including utilities, internet, and cable.
I'm considering the same thing as you. How does $600/month add up to an extra $10-15k? Just doing simple math, you pay $600/month for approx 9 months of school for 4 years,add $200/month for food and you get $28,800.I'm from Buffalo,NY and would be taking an extra $10k/ year out to living expenses,utilities,food,car payment,car insurance,etc. Living at home (40 min) from school will suck but it may be worth the savings. But living at home for me is not stressful, so if you can somehow dorm for $10-15k total, and considering your home life is stressful, I think you already have your answer

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm considering the same thing as you. How does $600/month add up to an extra $10-15k? Just doing simple math, you pay $600/month for approx 9 months of school for 4 years,add $200/month for food and you get $28,800.I'm from Buffalo,NY and would be taking an extra $10k/ year out to living expenses,utilities,food,car payment,car insurance,etc. Living at home (40 min) from school will suck but it may be worth the savings. But living at home for me is not stressful, so if you can somehow dorm for $10-15k total, and considering your home life is stressful, I think you already have your answer

The extra amount of loans I would be taking out is 10k-15k, and only some of that would go to paying monthly rent. The rest would go towards buying food, stuff for my apartment, laundry, etc.

I've already assumed that in my P3 and P4 years, I would take out more loans than I have for my P1 year, so only my P2 year was in consideration.

My advice is: starting dating ASAP. :) Met my current fiancee during my P1. She moved in with me at end of that year, and we split most things 50/50, good for us both.

For $10-$15K more, definitely don't stay home. It's long past the time to strike out and learn how to manage things one your own, and in your own ways. Not to mention, there is no worse way to ruin your chance with a girl than living with your parents. :smuggrin:

My advice is: starting dating ASAP. :) Met my current fiancee during my P1. She moved in with me at end of that year, and we split most things 50/50, good for us both.

For $10-$15K more, definitely don't stay home. It's long past the time to strike out and learn how to manage things one your own, and in your own ways. Not to mention, there is no worse way to ruin your chance with a girl than living with your parents. :smuggrin:

:laugh: I know.

Man, I wish I could live at home for free LOL I will be living with my better half and I will be putting in 20 hours a week at work just to pay rent. The rest of the expenses will come from loans and whatever job she gets. But, it IS better having a second income. Take that person's advice: look for a significant other haahhaha

So does anyone on SDN have any advice on transitioning from living at home to living on campus?

Man, I wish I could live at home for free LOL I will be living with my better half and I will be putting in 20 hours a week at work just to pay rent. The rest of the expenses will come from loans and whatever job she gets. But, it IS better having a second income. Take that person's advice: look for a significant other haahhaha

Ur parents must be great!!!!

I can't wait to move out of my house when I go to pharm school next fall

So I talked to my parents yesterday and they said that they would honestly prefer it if I were living on campus or somewhere in town while working, so that I would have income to support the monthly payments, instead of taking out loans to cover my expenses of living away from home. What do you guys think about this?

So I talked to my parents yesterday and they said that they would honestly prefer it if I were living on campus or somewhere in town while working, so that I would have income to support the monthly payments, instead of taking out loans to cover my expenses of living away from home. What do you guys think about this?
So your parents would rather you work than not work? That's a shocker.

So your parents would rather you work than not work? That's a shocker.

They're the type to ALWAYS make EVERY payment on time. They have probably an almost perfect credit history where they made only one late payment out of maybe 50. They also use probably 10~20% of their credit limit on their credit cards. So, they don't like loans very much, and they always try to convince me to take out loans only for school and pay for everything else by working, if possible.

They're the type to ALWAYS make EVERY payment on time. They have probably an almost perfect credit history where they made only one late payment out of maybe 50. They also use probably 10~20% of their credit limit on their credit cards. So, they don't like loans very much, and they always try to convince me to take out loans only for school and pay for everything else by working, if possible.

My Dad is the same way as your parents. He'd prefer less loans, and a little hard work, but he doesn’t try to convince us either. He lets us make our own choices, and if they are wrong, it will just be another lesson learned. I don't think a part time job during school is ridicules either, but it’s really your choice. Some people find school, work, and their social activates just too much at once.

Some people prefer to enjoy college as much as they can, take out loans when they need them, pay them back once they get a good job. They’d say you are only a kid once, and you have your whole life to work. This is how my sister lives her life in pharmacy school and it is fine with me.

I like to enjoy college too, but I do work to minimize my debts, and loans I have to take out. I prefer when I get out of pharmacy school not to have a mortgages size loan to pay back on my school debt.

Its really your decision.

Bump. Does anyone else have additional suggestions/comments?

It all depends...I still live with my parents and I am 26 which is bad I know, however, I am only child and I get everything, car, cellphone, money, everything, I know I am lucky, but I did not ask for it :), but that is how life is...

However, I can relate your experience to my girlfriend which lives on campus at FIU, she is a nursing major... Her parents live 10 min from campus, and she left because it was stressful for her to live at her house, (she has 3 more sisters). Now, living on campus is not that good because is an actual lottery to find out a good roommate. She has not been lucky, she has one roommate which is awesome, but she has another roommate which is dirty, noise, nasty, and does not respect at all... It is really bad...I can tell you that... My girlfriend has an AMAZING DEGREE OF TOLERANCE but she is draining out...And she is accustomed to these type of living. And if you talk to the people in charge of the building, they take you to reunions so yo can fix any problems that you might have with your roommates...A long, SLOW, and boring process if you want to move somewhere which usually is not possible at all...That means, you are STUCK, paying a lot of money, in a place where you don't want to live...you will end up spending most of your time in the library...

Lesson that I have learnt? I WOULD SPEND AS MUCH MONEY AS A I CAN TO LIVE BY MYSELF when I get into pharmacy school!!!

Living with people, specially strangers, is not easy when they also have the same rights as you do for the apartment...

Also, I would recommend to find a roommate that is studying the same thing as you do...THAT MEANS A PHARMACY STUDENT...Why?

From experience, my girlfriend has a literature major and business admin major roommates, they usually party like crazy while girlfriend is hitting the books...Visualize yourself after a 8 hours a day studying section, and you want to go to your room to sleep, and noise is what you find, or door getting slammed at 2 in the morning because your roommate was having an "I have a feeling that tonight is going to be a good night" type of night...THAT IS NOT FUNNY AT ALL!!!

In brief, if you are the type of person that has a heavy sleep go for it...if not, just like me, I wake up pretty easy, then, you will end up irritated and mad, and hating it...

good luck in your decision...

Last edited:
You left out the "Off campus apartment by myself" option! LOL

This is the ultimate situation in my opinion, but not really an option unless you really like someone, which you can't force. I lived with my boyfriend in college (splitting a 1/1.5 apartment/condo) and it was great... but only if you get along well and are on the same page as far as working/studying, staying up late, etc.

So does anyone on SDN have any advice on transitioning from living at home to living on campus?

It depends what they allow you to bring or already have in the rooms. You're probably going to have less room for groceries and food, but I think I remember you saying you ate out sometimes anyway, so just make sure you know what basics you need to keep in the apartment/dorm at all times so you aren't stranded with nothing while you are studying late at night, first wake up in the morning, etc. I would suggest lots of water, morning food like pop tarts, fruit bars, cereal, etc... and then some snacks for studying. If you have a full kitchen then obviously you will be able to cook full meals. This was by biggest issue in the dorms because we weren't even allowed to have cooking appliances and it was so small my little fridge barely held anything... because my undergrad was voted something like top 5 worst dorms in the country at 40,000/year tuition. :eek:

It all depends...I still live with my parents and I am 26 which is bad I know, however, I am only child and I get everything, car, cellphone, money, everything, I know I am lucky, but I did not ask for it :), but that is how life is...

However, I can relate your experience to my girlfriend which lives on campus at FIU, she is a nursing major... Her parents live 10 min from campus, and she left because it was stressful for her to live at her house, (she has 3 more sisters). Now, living on campus is not that good because is an actual lottery to find out a good roommate. She has not been lucky, she has one roommate which is awesome, but she has another roommate which is dirty, noise, nasty, and does not respect at all... It is really bad...I can tell you that... My girlfriend has an AMAZING DEGREE OF TOLERANCE but she is draining out...And she is accustomed to these type of living. And if you talk to the people in charge of the building, they take you to reunions so yo can fix any problems that you might have with your roommates...A long, SLOW, and boring process if you want to move somewhere which usually is not possible at all...That means, you are STUCK, paying a lot of money, in a place where you don't want to live...you will end up spending most of your time in the library...

Lesson that I have learnt? I WOULD SPEND AS MUCH MONEY AS A I CAN TO LIVE BY MYSELF when I get into pharmacy school!!!

Living with people, specially strangers, is not easy when they also have the same rights as you do for the apartment...

Also, I would recommend to find a roommate that is studying the same thing as you do...THAT MEANS A PHARMACY STUDENT...Why?

From experience, my girlfriend has a literature major and business admin major roommates, they usually party like crazy while girlfriend is hitting the books...Visualize yourself after a 8 hours a day studying section, and you want to go to your room to sleep, and noise is what you find, or door getting slammed at 2 in the morning because your roommate was having an "I have a feeling that tonight is going to be a good night" type of night...THAT IS NOT FUNNY AT ALL!!!

In brief, if you are the type of person that has a heavy sleep go for it...if not, just like me, I wake up pretty easy, then, you will end up irritated and mad, and hating it...

good luck in your decision...

I thought I wanted to move back with my parents in college because I was tired of throwing money away, but I really don't know how I feel about it. My parents pay for everything too, but I enjoy having my own place way too much even though bills are horrible. Plus I live with my boyfriend until pharmacy school so that makes it easier I suppose.

Your girlfriend is luckier than I was... the dorms at FIU are like palaces compared to the ones at UM. lol My roommate was a drug addict who only went to college because her parents made her after she was injured and couldn't pursue professional sports anymore. She moved her non-college friend into our shared room with two twin beds that was about 12x12 feet in space. This is why I eventually moved off campus with the other two suitemates we shared a bathroom with.

All of the reasons you and I listed above is why I am chosing to live alone in a 1 bedroom when I go to pharmacy school. The cost of living up there is considerably cheaper than south Florida, so even though I might have to work part time and possibly take out a little extra loans, it is worth it to enjoy my 4 years of school and do well.

Rent in the student apts here is $2,120 a semester. 15 minutes from Seattle in Kirkland. that includes all utilities though. Student apts. also have their own full sized washer and dryer and that's included in the utilities. Still have to buy food, but that's manageable.

Last edited:
I would say that if your parents are like my parents (and they seem like they might be given what you have said), I would not be able to live at home while in pharm school. Even though I was technically an adult, it seems as though my parents always reverted to treating me like a child again when I was at home for periods of time during college breaks (i.e., not wanting me to be out late, wanting to know exactly where I was going every time I left the house, etc.). I think that even though they know they have no control of what we do when we are away at school, that protective feeling resurfaces once we are back under their roof. Which is only natural, I guess!

I also think that what other people have said about it being more difficult to meet other people if you are living at home would definitely be true, although it really depends on your personality, as outgoing people probably won't have a problem no matter where they live.

For my part, I get the best of both worlds: I get to live at home, but home for me is with my husband and dogs. My husband has graciously :p agreed to support me while I go to school, so I don't have to take out additional loans (over what we need for tuition) or work ridiculous hours....but then I get to be his "sugar-momma" when I am done (and loans are paid off!) so he can pursue his dream job. Sounds like a good trade-off to me! :D

So yes, finding a significant other is a good way to go, especially if they are not in the same financial black hole that is college/pharm school! :laugh:

Oh that's hilarious on the SO. I was at dinner one night here in the school cafe and making talk with people at a table. You knwo the usual what's your major. I said Pre-Med.....this girl gets wide eyed and says to me, how many guys are in your program? 2 I tell her. She wants to getto know them.

"They're the wealthy ones" she says to me.

I look at her and laugh. I sayyou do realize that they are probably taking loans for undergrad, and then they'll have to get a scholarship, or take loans for med school, then have a residency which will pay them not as well as their future career.

They have to graduate undergrad first, then get acceppted to med school, then acceppted to residency on and on.....

"Oh" she gets pouty "Well I thought med school thn you graduate and get paid. I didn't realize it was ten years of me supporting them."

I just smiled and laughed. My pre-med program is 16 women and 2 men. We're all in a cohort.