Live IV practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swimdoc89

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Trying to get an idea if any schools are allowing their students to practice live IV on each other? We did in my courses as an EMS provider before we were allowed to practice on patients, however our COM is resistant to letting us try live IVs after practicing on the IV trainer arms (nothing like reality). Our COM is saying NO other med school is doing this, care to weigh in?

On another note, how is everyones clinical skills curriculum laid out?

Members don't see this ad.

Pssfffppphhht. My med school held several IV workshops where students stuck each other like pincushions. Hell, I ran two such workshops and even volunteered my own veins to teach the newbie MS1's.

Reactions: 3 users
Trying to get an idea if any schools are allowing their students to practice live IV on each other? We did in my courses as an EMS provider before we were allowed to practice on patients, however our COM is resistant to letting us try live IVs after practicing on the IV trainer arms (nothing like reality). Our COM is saying NO other med school is doing this, care to weigh in?

Your COM is wrong in the sense that no one is doing this, and I can't remember if it was a part of our clincal skills curriculum (specifically live IV's) but I definitely did it M3 year. Also our interest groups for various specialties also had IV placement practice if I remember correctly...

Is it the administration who is telling you that you cannot do this? Because at my school once I got into clinical rotations (where whatever the attendings, fellows, and residents say, goes) I had ample opportunities to practice with equipment provided by the hospital - I would just ask the nurse if I could grab whatever I needed and it was fine, even on my first rotation we were practicing on eachother, and even with our residents! Our residents encouraged us to practice, and (especially on Anesthesia) that practice came in handy. Heck, when my wife was an M3 she stuck me 8 times in one day to practice her IV placement, and it looked like a loan shark had beaten my arms to a pulp for not paying up lol.

Honestly I don't remember how our curriculum was specifically laid out but we did a lot of physical exam practice and cases and hands on and lectures on stuff and ethics etc and it was all good and useful eventually.

Don't complain to your COM, forget about them as it sounds like it is not worth the effort. Just wait till rotations when the people in charge actually LIKE that you want to learn by practicing hands on, vs. your COM leadership likely viewing your request as a nuisance or one more thing they have to deal with...also good for you for caring enough to want to learn how to do it right.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

We practiced placing IVs and NG tubes on classmates during second year.

Obtaining iv access is an important skill to have even if we are rarely the ones doing it. Best places to learn it:

1) ask anesthesia if you can start one in the OR. Can't beat an asleep venodilated patient to practice.

2) ask any floor nurse. They have to do this all day.

3) get some supplies and practice on each other informally. Get someone in your class who knows how and have them teach you.

It's not officially part of the curriculum, but we've turned ourselves into pin cushions may times during downtime on rotations.

Pssfffppphhht. My med school held several IV workshops where students stuck each other like pincushions. Hell, I ran two such workshops and even volunteered my own veins to teach the newbie MS1's.
Which school did you attend? I am hoping to reach out to other schools that may already have a policy for this and present to our COM in hopes to get my classmates some more, helpful, practice

Obtaining iv access is an important skill to have even if we are rarely the ones doing it. Best places to learn it:

1) ask anesthesia if you can start one in the OR. Can't beat an asleep venodilated patient to practice.

2) ask any floor nurse. They have to do this all day.

3) get some supplies and practice on each other informally. Get someone in your class who knows how and have them teach you.

Thanks for the input. I am about to just start running unofficial clinics, I have been doing IVs on the ambulances and in the EDs for years now, I am just trying to help my class get practice with an important basic skill.

Here at LECOM, we will practice venipuncture, but not IV placement. The main difference is that when placing a catheter, there is a little more manual dexterity needed to get the catheter threaded neatly, and connected up without getting blood everywhere... and there is a touch of taping and securing involved. Otherwise, the parts that are actually hard are all the same.

Find a vein, insert a needle into the vein in such a way as to establish flow, without punching through the other side. That's basically it.

As others have said, getting supplies to practice with isn't hard. Finding opportunities to try in the OR or other clinical setting is a good plan, too. It is nice to want to get a learning opportunity for the whole class, but there are a lot of skills that are important to learn which aren't best learned on your classmates. Placing urinary catheters, for instance. Your school is of the opinion that letting you mangle each other's veins is one of those skills. You feel differently. It won't be too hard to find someone who agrees with you, and will join you in giving each other track marks and tourniquet-induced ischemia.

We've done venipuncture numerous times as first years but not IV placement.