Living alone in a 200 sq foot apartment for 2nd year...have I dun goofed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's fine. You're smart to save money. I lived in a place not much bigger than that in med school. Small places are easier to keep clean, and don't look goofy with limited/cheap student furniture. Location is much more important.

You will find in med school (and residency) that standards of living differ widely. Quite a few people in my class drove late model cars, had condos downtown, ate out almost daily, shopped at Whole Paycheck. They weren't doing it on their own. Their parents were rich or loved them more than mine did. But I made do. I'm not bitter, it's just to say some people don't get it.

Regarding women, IMO your own place, however small, is better than the awkwardness that comes from living with roommates, especially colleagues - saves the women the worst of the walk of shame and believe me they think about these details. Too much drama in med school as it is. Do treat yourself to a full sized mattress - Overstock etc.. will deliver one on the cheap. I would get a more comfortable chair too if you're going to study there. Hang some cool stuff on the walls, keep it clean. Again, it's fine. You don't need a magazine-quality bachelor pad to impress women in their 20's unless they're unusually lame or your game is unusually weak.

Members don't see this ad.

I agree with the others, though. $500/month seems awfully expensive for that amount of space, regardless of where you are unless you're living in Tokyo or something.

In manhattan, you would pay $700 a month for that with no furniture or appliances and the toilet would be on top of the counter next to the sink.

To the OP:

May I ask what possessed you to get the studio? Did grow disillusioned with on-campus or shared housing after facing the difficulties of having a roommate while in medical school? I nearly signed a lease on a shared housing opportunity, but the small inconveniences at the end of the day (having to wear pants, asking for permission to bring someone over, doing chores when inconvenient, dealing with other's messiness, inconvenient noise, etc) seem to outweigh the benefits. I think it's awesome that you found an affordable way to live alone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Those pictures are depressing me brah. That little grade-school style plastic chair is where you're going to finally flip your **** and start ripping your hair out and smearing your feces on the walls. j/k. Mostly.

If you've already signed the lease then what's done is done, and you'll just make the best of it. You can always move next summer if you hate it.

My feeling is that, when you're going to owe hundreds (plural) of thousands of dollars (and maybe you aren't), an extra $200 or so a month for your remaining 3 years ends up being an additional $7+k, which is a LOT of money, no doubt. But really an extra $2400/year is worth being comfortable in my opinion. I need to be able to come home and feel AT HOME, relax, spread out, you know?

My total med school debt will only be around 100-120k max. I don't need a luxury suite or even more space to be comfortable. I lived in a 100 sq ft dorm for 2 yrs of U-grad and did great because it was my study dungeon:laugh:

I don't know, you're right about money not mattering tons down the road, but I also feel like its kind of a rite of passage. Makes me work harder and reminds me I haven't achieved jack **** yet (lol I know that sounds weird)

Hey OP,

FWIW, I lived in a 13'x15' studio for the first two years of med school (it did have a small kitchenette with a stove, though), and it was fine. When the room felt too small I'd just leave and study in the library or a coffee shop.

You don't NEED a 1- or 2-bedroom apartment. The extra space is nice but if it's not financially feasible (or you're just looking to save some money - nothing wrong with that!) then you can make a studio work. Plus, the limited space keeps you from buying too much unnecessary stuff that you'd eventually have to sell or haul off to your residency. :)

The location is perfect too...walking distance to everything I need. 10 min bus ride to downtown and safeco field. I won't have a car either, selling that to save money.

I like your attitude sir

To the OP:

May I ask what possessed you to get the studio? Did grow disillusioned with on-campus or shared housing after facing the difficulties of having a roommate while in medical school? I nearly signed a lease on a shared housing opportunity, but the small inconveniences at the end of the day (having to wear pants, asking for permission to bring someone over, doing chores when inconvenient, dealing with other's messiness, inconvenient noise, etc) seem to outweigh the benefits. I think it's awesome that you found an affordable way to live alone.

To me, living with someone else is a huge drawback. This is just me, keep in mind I'm an only child and I like to have my space. That being said, I have a lot of good friends within walking distance of this place...so I can socialize plenty.

Had a single dorm in undergrad, and yes it was small..but it was MY space and I could hermit out when I needed to :laugh: I know this sounds odd, but living in a place with the bare minimum kept me more focused in terms of studying.

Everyone has a different ideal situation...gotta figure out what works for you and just go with it. I signed the lease FYI

It's fine. You're smart to save money. I lived in a place not much bigger than that in med school. Small places are easier to keep clean, and don't look goofy with limited/cheap student furniture. Location is much more important.

You will find in med school (and residency) that standards of living differ widely. Quite a few people in my class drove late model cars, had condos downtown, ate out almost daily, shopped at Whole Paycheck. They weren't doing it on their own. Their parents were rich or loved them more than mine did. But I made do. I'm not bitter, it's just to say some people don't get it.

Regarding women, IMO your own place, however small, is better than the awkwardness that comes from living with roommates, especially colleagues - saves the women the worst of the walk of shame and believe me they think about these details. Too much drama in med school as it is. Do treat yourself to a full sized mattress - Overstock etc.. will deliver one on the cheap. I would get a more comfortable chair too if you're going to study there. Hang some cool stuff on the walls, keep it clean. Again, it's fine. You don't need a magazine-quality bachelor pad to impress women in their 20's unless they're unusually lame or your game is unusually weak.

Solid advice man. Definitely a matter of finding what works for me. I'm literally 1 block from a bike trail that takes me all over Seattle...15 min run to the gym and 10 mins to my classes/hospital. Also close enough to some cool college bars when I have time for a beer. It will be similar to dorm life in some ways, but certainly better

I agree with the others, though. $500/month seems awfully expensive for that amount of space, regardless of where you are unless you're living in Tokyo or something.

:laugh:

Oh Al...

Dude, the bathroom I'm chilling in reading SDN is bigger than that apartment.

You realize when you are making bank as a doc you will be able to pay off all the rent you would have spent on a human sized apartment in like 3 days, right?

Penny wise, pound foolish.

:love:

Reading SDN in the bathroom eh?
images

I only have a 2 month lease dude...theres no risk. If I hate it, I move out and find a bigger place. Looks legit and exactly what I want though.

Still in awe of your SDN bathroom skills :D I would personally read Reddit in the can

Is this too small? Kinda like dorm life all over again...it has everything I need though. Fully furnished (bed/desk/everything, includes utilities, cable, web) and only is 525 a month..which is dirt cheap in my city.

Hmmmm oh well.

200 sq ft for 535 a month?

You're doing it wrong.

I have 1700 sq ft in three bedrooms, one of which is an office and one which is a dedicated study room, a dining room a large kitchen with everything an enclosed garage a laundry room and a living room for an 880/mo mortgage.

For 200 square feet, it better be in a KILLER location. Otherwise, get something bigger and farther away from the city if you're worried about cost.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just turned clinically depressed after seeing that picture. Please, dont do it..

Kinda jealous he lives in the south honestly. Womenz are hot as fffffuuuuu
Unfortunately, in this part of the south, they all get married at 18. Stupid Bilble Belt.

Just on Craigslist, there are over 1000 apartments available in NYC for under $600/month. Yes, I know that doesn't include utilities, but still...

Is this too small? Kinda like dorm life all over again...it has everything I need though. Fully furnished (bed/desk/everything, includes utilities, cable, web) and only is 525 a month..which is dirt cheap in my city.

Hmmmm oh well.

If you turned your bed into a bunkbed, you would have so much space for activities!!

step-brothers-bunk-beds-o.gif

OP I think your studio looks fine. I've lived in 250 sq ft studio for a year and I thought it was great not having too much space to clean, and I liked saving money even though I could have gotten something better. If it's a quiet area in a quiet building, I think that sounds like a great price personally especially when considering utilities.

Just on Craigslist, there are over 1000 apartments available in NYC for under $600/month. Yes, I know that doesn't include utilities, but still...

Well to be fair... probably all of those listings include the 100's of apartments with WEEKLY rents or even nightly charges, and areas in connecticut, new jersey, and the far-flung areas of the metro area that are sometimes approaching a two-hour commute from the center of the city.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh and leave the twin bed at home and upgrade to a full... play it off to your parents as still having a bed at home for the holidays.

Last edited by a moderator:
200 sq ft for 535 a month?

You're doing it wrong.

I have 1700 sq ft in three bedrooms, one of which is an office and one which is a dedicated study room, a dining room a large kitchen with everything an enclosed garage a laundry room and a living room for an 880/mo mortgage.

You are looking at it the wrong way. It's 500 for EVERYTHING....aka this is like paying 350 a month for the actual room. Utilities that include cable tv, wifi, and all that junk run 150....so you can't compare the rent like that. Its fully furnished too.

And it makes no sense to look at it as "price/sq ft" because all that matters to me is total cost. I'm glad you have a lot of space, thats cool. I don't need it

For 200 square feet, it better be in a KILLER location. Otherwise, get something bigger and farther away from the city if you're worried about cost.

Beyond killer location. Could not possibly pick a better place for what I want.

I just turned clinically depressed after seeing that picture. Please, dont do it..

Give me a break lol. Too many people expect nice things and luxury these days. I'm the type of guy who will be driving a station wagon even if I make 500k a year :D. The fiscally conservative prosper

Yeah...I'm 3/4 of a mile from the heart of campus, but in a neighborhood where its pretty quiet and safe. Also a 10 min ride to downtown...and more importantly a 10 min ride to Safeco Field :D
I don't think you did bad. Seattle's expensive...it is what it is. You're still pretty close to school. That place looks better than living with the 'rents.

Oh and leave the twin bed at home and upgrade to a full... play it off to your parents as still having a bed at home for the holidays.

The bed is supplied by the place, but I'm gonna make sure its a full. I'm a big dude, I'd break a twin. My room at home will soon be a crafts room for mom:mad::mad::mad::mad:

You are looking at it the wrong way. It's 500 for EVERYTHING....aka this is like paying 350 a month for the actual room. Utilities that include cable tv, wifi, and all that junk run 150....so you can't compare the rent like that. Its fully furnished too.

And it makes no sense to look at it as "price/sq ft" because all that matters to me is total cost. I'm glad you have a lot of space, thats cool. I don't need it

Beyond killer location. Could not possibly pick a better place for what I want.

Give me a break lol. Too many people expect nice things and luxury these days. I'm the type of guy who will be driving a station wagon even if I make 500k a year :D. The fiscally conservative prosper

I guess I'm spoiled. I just like to come to a nice room after studying for hours on end to relax my brain.

Unfortunately, in this part of the south, they all get married at 18. Stupid Bilble Belt.

Come to Atlanta

I guess I'm spoiled. I just like to come to a nice room after studying for hours on end to relax my brain.

Not spoiled, just different strokes for different folks.

I could never live in a place that small but if OP is happy with it that's all that matters. It doesn't make him a better or worse person, just a different one.

With the location and the fact that he has friends living close he should be fine

Yes, you are :) but don't worry you're in good company, spending money you don't have is the American way. I find it's especially common for medical students and residents to feel entitled to a standard of living that's well beyond their means. It's partly because we're older and all our friends who went out and got "real" jobs are spending their money this way - "nice" car, "nice" place to live, the "good" groceries, eating/drinking out like a socialite at "mature" ($$} establishments. It's hard to accept being left behind when you work harder than anyone else. The entitlement is such that many base their happiness on it, like the poster above.

Edit: Happiness is about perspective and expectations. One of my best friends in med school always told me he'd "go crazy" living in my studio. Now he's in residency in SoCal living in a tiny place (with $1500 rent, lol), but he's happy because everyone else is doing it. Gotta keep up with the Joneses.

Unlike most med students I know, I went to public school in a major city (a poor Southern one at that). I've seen so much poverty that my own small place in a good neighborhood seems like a luxury.

Last edited:

Or- the library will seem like a luxury palace to me because my place is small :D

Yes, you are :) but don't worry you're in good company, spending money you don't have is the American way. I find it's especially common for medical students and residents to feel entitled to a standard of living that's well beyond their means. It's partly because we're older and all our friends who went out and got "real" jobs are spending their money this way - "nice" car, "nice" place to live, the "good" groceries, eating/drinking out like a socialite at "mature" ($$} establishments. It's hard to accept being left behind when you work harder than anyone else. The entitlement is such that many base their happiness on it, like the poster above.

Edit: Happiness is about perspective and expectations. One of my best friends in med school always told me he'd "go crazy" living in my studio. Now he's in residency in SoCal living in a tiny place (with $1500 rent, lol), but he's happy because everyone else is doing it. Gotta keep up with the Joneses.

Unlike most med students I know, I went to public school in a major city (a poor Southern one at that). I've seen so much poverty that my own small place in a good neighborhood seems like a luxury.

207_not_sure_if_serious.jpg

So I live in a studio apartment somewhere on the east coast and pay 900 dollars in rent plus utilities. Take that for steep. However my lease is for all 4 years and I never ever have to move out or in anywhere else, within walking distance of my hospital so I can roll out of bed at 6 am and be there by 6:30 during Medicine. Fridge, stove, oven, good window view, and spacious enough to keep a treadmill. Convenience and comfort wise, it's an absolute win.

There's cheaper places around but this place is very convenient for me so I'm keeping it

So I live in a studio apartment somewhere on the east coast and pay 900 dollars in rent plus utilities. Take that for steep. However my lease is for all 4 years and I never ever have to move out or in anywhere else, within walking distance of my hospital so I can roll out of bed at 6 am and be there by 6:30 during Medicine. Fridge, stove, oven, good window view, and spacious enough to keep a treadmill. Convenience and comfort wise, it's an absolute win.

There's cheaper places around but this place is very convenient for me so I'm keeping it

that's actually not a bad price if you're in NYC or Boston. Plus the convenience factor is worth the extra $$.

Don't worry about it OP. I live in a similarly sized place (although with a stove--I like to cook) and it works out perfectly. I got some decent free furniture from friends and family, and have lots of big windows so it feels more spacious. I live in godforsaken Hartford CT and still pay $600 including utilities, so I'm actually pretty jealous of your place.

My mom lived in a tiny studio in Kansas City during her first year of residency, much worse than my place. I think it cost somewhere around $250 a month. NOsquid is right, med students tend to feel privileged when it comes to spending. We're not making a big fortoona for a long time.

Last edited:
Sometimes being in Arkansas has its perks. My bedroom is bigger than that, and I have a huge kitchen, 2 living rooms, a garage, and a rather large yard to go with it, all for less than you're paying, including all my utilities. Whee! :p

huckabee.jpg

Arkansas...enough said :laugh:

NOsquid is right, med students tend to feel privileged when it comes to spending. We're not making a big fortoona for a long time.

You say "privileged," I say rational about a relatively manageable additional debt in the grand scheme of things, and capable of making a cost/benefit analysis re: my own comfort during 4 stressful years.

You say "privileged," I say rational about a relatively manageable additional debt in the grand scheme of things, and capable of making a cost/benefit analysis re: my own comfort during 4 stressful years.

qft

I lived in a 10 foot x 10 foot apartment (that's not an exaggeration; there was also a tiny bathroom with enough room for the toilet and shower, and the wall wit the door had a kitchenette with a little oven and sink and mini fridge) when I first got married and my husband was an MS1. He had been living there for the first semester of school. We moved out once we found a bigger apartment, but anyway, it is doable. But hey, I like small cozy spaces, too.

Completely agree. There is a point where you have to live life and have a certain amount of comfort/happiness despite school and residency. I don't spend a lot of money on going out to drink, etc. But I am a homebody and I like my space, so I will pay to live alone. And it's soooooo worth it.

It's not privileged it's living life. Why should i live like a pauper for 10 more years?

I could never live alone and even having only 1 roommate bothers me, so my logic is that you have a lower rate and you have company (even if they're jerk offs). I'm content with paying $500/month in a nicely sized apartment (already furnished) with 3 roommates.

OP I think your studio looks fine. I've lived in 250 sq ft studio for a year and I thought it was great not having too much space to clean, and I liked saving money even though I could have gotten something better. If it's a quiet area in a quiet building, I think that sounds like a great price personally especially when considering utilities.

Well to be fair... probably all of those listings include the 100's of apartments with WEEKLY rents or even nightly charges, and areas in connecticut, new jersey, and the far-flung areas of the metro area that are sometimes approaching a two-hour commute from the center of the city.

pwned

I lived at home first year. never again.....

I would say living at home for any professional school (maybe not business??) is a disaster. No one is willing to adapt to your study schedule. They say they understand you need to study, but not really. Maybe it's a cultural thing. Maybe tiger moms would understand, but the majority of parents and families do not.

I would say living at home for any professional school (maybe not business??) is a disaster. No one is willing to adapt to your study schedule. They say they understand you need to study, but not really. Maybe it's a cultural thing. Maybe tiger moms would understand, but the majority of parents and families do not.

none of that dude.

More like I'd bring home a girl and get in trouble for making out with her in my room :(

Yes this.

I would move out from my parent's place but it pretty expensive here in Hawaii.

I really envy the mainland because Hawaii has probably the highest cost of living in the entire U.S. If I went to school on the mainland I would take any of your offers in a heart beat.

The average most apartments here run for is around $1000.

none of that dude.

More like I'd bring home a girl and get in trouble for making out with her in my room :(

Dude going home for the summer in college and med school was the worst for that type of stuff. Had to sneak around like I was in HS. Had to convince girls to skip work and come over in the daytime :laugh:

Yes this.

I would move out from my parent's place but it pretty expensive here in Hawaii.

I really envy the mainland because Hawaii has probably the highest cost of living in the entire U.S. If I went to school on the mainland I would take any of your offers in a heart beat.

The average most apartments here run for is around $1000.

1000 for a 1 bedroom is cheaper than a lot of cities in Cali

1000 for a 1 bedroom is cheaper than a lot of cities in Cali

I was in an apartment at one point (about 4-5 year ago) and my one bedroom was $1600. I think the apartment prices may have gone up. Cali is the only other state which has a cost of living that is just as high as Hawaii.

I was in an apartment at one point (about 5-6 year ago) and my one bedroom is $1600. I think the prices may have gone up. Cali is the only other state which has a cost of living that is just as high as Hawaii.

Well you said avg is 1000. Big difference from 1600. 1000 is not to different from a lot of major cities.

I know Hawaii is hella expensive, that's why the $1000 number you threw out surprised me

OP, thats an awesome price. a studio like that in manhattan would be at least $1600-1800/month. my friend recently moved into a studio that is 13ft by 13.5ft on the 1st floor for $1950. and its totally livable! my bf and I live in a studio that is a total of 550sq ft including kitchen and bathroom

Is that a shower curtain coming off the kitchen?

I guess I'm used to living in a much lower cost of living area, but man, that seems rough. I'm a little concerned about the lack of space in the place I'm moving into, and that's about 560 square feet for about $600 after all utilities are paid.

I guess you've got to do what you've got to do, though. If it's your first place without living with your parents or in a dorm, I'm sure it'll still feel palatial.

And I thought Florida was expensive. My fiancee and I have a place 5x that size for $750 a month.

Luckily she works.

All of NYC? Or Manhattan? When people say 'the city', they usually mean Manhattan.

All of NYC? Or Manhattan? When people say 'the city', they usually mean Manhattan.

I cringe just imagining what a <$600 apt. in NYC must look like (and the horrid neighborhood it is undoubtedly in). I suppose you could maybe find a semi-livable studio someplace in east Queens that's miles from a subway/LIRR station for that.