Living Arrangement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jess818

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am just wondering where the typical DPT student lives during school? I am currently living with my boyfriend in an apartment HOWEVER I could move back in with my parents. On the one hand, my parents drive me crazy (although I love them :)). Yet it could save me a substantial amount in loans. Anyways, I know every situation is different and it's ultimately a choice I have to make. I'm just curious to hear what everyone else is doing!

Members don't see this ad.

I would love to live with my parents (I'm 25 and will be 26 when I start PT school, so what I dont care, save money!) even if they drove me crazy. Free rent, food, and get my clothes washed every weekend. But unfortunately I am not too fond with the one school in town that has a PT program (FAMU with an NPTE pass rate of ~65% I believe) so I will be going elsewhere. And my parents actually want me to live at home, they aren't the type to push their children out ASAP.

Now, some 1st years say it is not good to live with a fellow classmate (same cohort) because you will be around each other 24/7, and she would like some time to be alone sometimes which I totally understand. She told me she lived with a PA student, and a second yeard PT student so they are not around each other much. But others do live with their classmates and they are together 24/7.

I plan on living by myself if I can afford it.

Whoa JBizzle that's crazy...I'm a first year and live with a 2nd year PT, PA student, and med student. lol.

I go to school in Chicago, where it's crazy expensive to get a decent place by yourself, so I'm living with 3 others in a nice place that's rather inexpensive (but, I live with 3 other people). It really depends on your lifestyle. I rarely see my roommates, except when we're all home at the same time (which is usually during the day on a weekend or some weeknights), which is nice, but it's also kinda lonely because we all have separate groups of friends, so we're not living with people we hang out with.

Lots of people in my class live with others in the class...some of it has worked out well, others not so much. I wouldn't recommend living with several people from your class unless you know each other beforehand, because if you end up not getting along, it could get awkward.

A few people commute, and they seem to like it. I theoretically could commute, but it would be about an hour and 45 minutes each way, depending on which train I got, etc. But, some people (like myself) are extremely productive on the train, so it might be good. But then again, I'd have to leave my house at like 5:40 every morning, and wouldn't be home until after 7pm some nights.

I haven't decided what I'm doing next year - I know I won't be living with 3 other people again, because even though our apartment is big, our lifestyles are still pretty different from each other (I'm the most reserved/introverted and one of my roommates is extremely extroverted, and the others are in the middle). Ideally I'd love to live with maybe one other person who has a similar schedule to me, but maybe isn't in the program.

If living with your boyfriend is working with you, keep doing it. Several girls in our class live with their boyfriend. Just make sure he's aware of how your schedule will change dramatically so that it won't cause tension between you two.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be living with my parents, in our tiny apartment... Maybe if we lived in a bigger place, it wouldn't be as crazy. My mom still tells me to go to bed. haha... but it's the best thing to do as I wouldn't have as much trouble financially. I could live away from home into my own place or share with other people, but the thousands I could save living with the parents is just the winner.

I live with my parents. Although they drive me crazy, I am willing to deal with it when you take into account how much money you save.

I have a classmate that is married with a baby on the way and he moved back in with his parents when he got in the program haha.

Anyways, I have a lot of classmates that live together (hasn't caused many problems from what I hear). The rest just used the newspaper, Craig's List, etc. to find places to live around campus. Most live with roommates but, cost of living is pretty reasonable here so there are quite a few that live alone.

I'm sure I am in the minority, but I live with my husband in the house we own. Of course this only worked because we planned on buying in the city we already lived in, and I only applied to schools in that city. We have also rented out a spare room to a PT student from a different school/state that was doing a clinical here, and we would do that again. So sometimes we have a roomie.

Many (probably most) of my classmates rent a place alone or with their significant other. A couple live at home with parents; a few have roommates in our class as well as a year ahead and behind us; and a few have roommates from outside the program. I know that not all situations have turned out well when it comes to living with someone in the same class though; that's just a lot of time to be spending with any person.

ETA: I did live with my parents for about 6 months after finishing undergrad. They drove me crazy at times, but nothing beats free, hot dinner on the table when I got home everyday! If you get along well with your family, the support you have there could be a nice perk too.

thanks for all the responses-def. some food for thought! i guess the main reasoning behind my question is that I am TERRIFIED of all the debt i will be getting into (it is just hitting me now:scared:). it's been discussed so many times on here but i've never felt that there was a consensus on how much is too much. i know the rule of thumb is not to go over what you expect to make in your first year salary but i just don't think it's realistic for most of us unfortunately. i will just have to hope that the apta gets that law passed that allows PTs to work in under served areas and get most of their debt paid for :xf:

I wish I could live at home with my parents- but the local university does not have a PT program, so I'm going to be moving in with my boyfriend.

This isn't a big deal, we've been dating for 4 years and it's sort of the next logical step for us, because before we get married we want to live together. He is completely aware that he will be supporting us as I go through school and we understand we are going to have to live cheaply.

I won't have any income, but I've been working a fulltime job since September to try to save as much money as possible before school- I will hopefully be able to use some of it towards emergencies and my parents have agreed to help me stay afloat as far as giving me gas money for my car/small things.

It'll be stressful, but it's not impossible. We just have to find the right place to live!