Living at home during college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YankeesfanZF5

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would living at home during college look bad to medical schools? I want to save money so I can eventually pay off medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

They don't care what your living situation is at all.

But if you don't even have to worry about college debt, only med school, you might want to move out for independence/fun/etc. A lot of people have to live at home because of money, if you're not restricted by that it'd probably be nice to not live with your parents until you're in your mid 20s.

edit: Go Jays!

Reactions: 1 user
They may not know unless you tell them. They might ask how prepared you are to live independently in med school if it does come up.

Be sure that you don't spend so much time commuting that you don't take opportunities to join study groups, use university services, and engage in group social activities. Also be sure that your parents are on the same page in terms of your freedom to come and go and grow in terms of autonomy. What kind of social life do you anticipate having? What will your family's expectations be in terms of obligations to the family vs your studies (e.g. will they consider your attendance at a relative's birthday party a higher priority than studying for chem midterm)?

Members don't see this ad :)
No one cares what your living situation is.

Reactions: 1 users
They don't care what your living situation is at all.

But if you don't even have to worry about college debt, only med school, you might want to move out for independence/fun/etc. A lot of people have to live at home because of money, if you're not restricted by that it'd probably be nice to not live with your parents until you're in your mid 20s.

edit: Go Jays!

If I live at a dorm then I will be actually having to pay the college. Scholarships cover enough for tutition, fees and books. Wouldn't mind living with friends in a house or apartment but I think that would hurt my study habits. (Parties, hangin out, etc) Right now I make enough money for investments, saving up and can still have enough left over to go hunting, fishing, go on trips and outdoorsy stuff. Also I am an only child and my parents are older. Want to spend time with them now because if I get into med school I will only see them on holidays. Looks like the Jays might take the al east this year! You guys are lucky we have been sucking for a long time. Haha thanks for the response btw.

They may not know unless you tell them. They might ask how prepared you are to live independently in med school if it does come up.

Be sure that you don't spend so much time commuting that you don't take opportunities to join study groups, use university services, and engage in group social activities. Also be sure that your parents are on the same page in terms of your freedom to come and go and grow in terms of autonomy. What kind of social life do you anticipate having? What will your family's expectations be in terms of obligations to the family vs your studies (e.g. will they consider your attendance at a relative's birthday party a higher priority than studying for chem midterm)?
My commute is about 5 mins by car. I am in quite a few clubs, have some buddies I study and hang with. I use tutoring and go to school events and have 3 on campus jobs. My parents know school is my main focus right now and I do have to remind them when I am extremely busy. I try to help around the house when I can. They have let me have all the freedom in the world since I turned 16 and got my license haha thanks for the reply

@LizzyM is 100% right. Commuting from home was the worst thing I could do for my gpa and health. 2-4 hours of travel on top of limited accessibility to school and connections ruined my confidence and trust in my own studies. So many kids live on campus and get to know things through learned colleagues and have a much easier time. Suffice it to say that when I did get to where my friends had been, living on my own was great. I was so disciplined in cleaning, studying, and being happy that it made me so sad how disadvantaged I was. I believe that I didn't need a social life since I had one golden opportunity to be on campus and juggle a monster 8 hour school/day schedule, odd job hours, and research but being on campus eventually has a great way of meeting you up with other like-minded students. Being with them and getting to talk with friends was amazing. Everyone was painting their own little world and you feel so accomplished with them doing your own stuff. College life is great and had I known how amazing it was, I would not have left it for the world. I love studying and somehow commuting from home takes all your motivations, focus, and happiness away just because you grow up a lot faster than your colleagues in terms of responsibility. Most people think you have to rely on parents or whatever but getting up everyday 2 hours early or so and then making sure you catch your ride to get back home is a beast on its own. Then, studying late night without a library or tutors or being unable to attend review sessions is such a sad disadvantage. But hey, it beats out being homeless.

My commute is about 5 mins by car. I am in quite a few clubs, have some buddies I study and hang with. I use tutoring and go to school events and have 3 on campus jobs. My parents know school is my main focus right now and I do have to remind them when I am extremely busy. I try to help around the house when I can. They have let me have all the freedom in the world since I turned 16 and got my license haha thanks for the reply
It depends on your courseload. A 5 minute commute is minor. Save your money if you have lived on campus in the past and have become tired of it.

3 on campus jobs? Damn
They only equal about 20 hours a week. 5 for one (chem IA) 5 for the other (production manager for school sports events) and 10 for the last one (information technology for the school). So not as bad as you think, pretty lax.

Would living at home during college look bad to medical schools? I want to save money so I can eventually pay off medical school.

Shows lack of maturity and fortitude. Are your parents going to help you when you have to handle your first full code all by your lonesome? You will absolutely NOT get in if you do this. Suck it up and go live with a few loud, obnoxious alcoholic roommates to obtain life experience.

Absolutely save the money. Sounds like you're quite involved on campus so the social situation isn't a problem. As long as the reason for staying home is not that you'll be too homesick or can't survive without mom/dad, it's fine.

You will not be denied admission because of this, unless you somehow communicate to them that you won't be able to live independently, which doesn't sound like it would be the case.

Are your parents going to sit in the MCAT with you? Are they going to drop you off when you volunteer? Hold your hand at your interviews? Time to nut up. Roommates build character. Puts hair on your chest.

Just kidding, nobody cares.

Enjoy it while you can. : D

And post-college, you can always talk to parents over Skype. So don't be afraid to travel far from home for a medical education that is worth your $200k+ in loan, lol.

I thought they just drank and smoked and blasted loud music until 4am when you have an exam tomorrow morning.
Exactly the point. Learn to deal without the sleep. Get ahead of the game. One of the fine qualities of a doctor.

Reactions: 3 users
I thought they just drank and smoked and blasted loud music until 4am when you have an exam tomorrow morning.
That's like the generation from the 80s when they still valued the idea of mellowing out.

This generation, it's just pizza smacking, "ligalegen" squawkers...

Exactly the point. Learn to deal without the sleep. Get ahead of the game. One of the fine qualities of a doctor.

Ah of course.

That's like the generation from the 80s when they still valued the idea of mellowing out.

This generation, it's just pizza smacking, "ligalegen" squawkers...

I don't know. I guess it depends on who you're with.

Enjoy it while you can. : D

And post-college, you can always talk to parents over Skype. So don't be afraid to travel far from home for a medical education that is worth your $200k+ in loan, lol.

That is the plan!

College is the new high school anyway.