Living at home during med school? argh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

virilep

What can Brown do for u?
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Pre-allo... so I got a dilemma. kinda crazy. but my parents want to buy a house wherever I end up going to school and are pressing for me to live with them. what do you guys? what would you do? I've weighed the advantages and disadvantages. maybe some of you guys could tell me what ur thinkin?!

confooosed.

Members don't see this ad.

Depends if your parents are like really into your business or not. If you can have like your own little suite downstairs where they can't bug you I dont see any problems.

It really depends on what kind of parents you have. Can you stand having no privacy? Are you constrained with money? On the other hand, can you handle doing your own laundry and cooking?

Members don't see this ad :)
Man I so wish mine would do that, but I have really cool parents. If you do, definitely do it. That will save you a ton of money! Not to mention, meals cooked, clothes washed, etc.

virilep said:
Hey Pre-allo... so I got a dilemma. kinda crazy. but my parents want to buy a house wherever I end up going to school and are pressing for me to live with them. what do you guys? what would you do? I've weighed the advantages and disadvantages. maybe some of you guys could tell me what ur thinkin?!

confooosed.

hey dude... me in the same boat as you... my parents are moving to a place 10 mins from my med school. its all good though: you get your food, laundry, cleaning etc done... you just have to concentrate on studies...

desi parents.. u gotta love em :)

pakidoc said:
hey dude... me in the same boat as you... my parents are moving to a place 10 mins from my med school. its all good though: you get your food, laundry, cleaning etc done... you just have to concentrate on studies...

desi parents.. u gotta love em :)

I'll just throw in another factor. If your med school has a dorm, then you may miss out on some of the "bonding" that med students would do there. :love: :love: :love:

I'm in somewhat of a similar situation. My first choice school is UConn, and my parents already live just under 10 minutes from the school. If I get accepted (still waiting to hear post-interview), I will definitely not live with them although they have made it clear that doing so is an option. They are great and would leave me alone and help me out with everything, but I prefer to be immersed in the med-school environment. I want to be around other med students rather than go home to my parents house. I think it would just be way too stressful to live at home. However, living near them would be amazing because I can get the home-cooked meals, etc.

bonding shmonding ill do that in classes :smuggrin:

pakidoc said:
bonding shmonding ill do that in classes :smuggrin:

I'm not really referring to bonding. I was just talking about being immersed in the atmosphere and being around students like myself the entire time.

bonding... hah, yeah i already told my mom "what if i brought a girl home at like 2am? what would ya do?" she said "as long as she's coming back the next day" hahahahah

virilep said:
bonding... hah, yeah i already told my mom "what if i brought a girl home at like 2am? what would ya do?" she said "as long as she's coming back the next day" hahahahah

whoaa ur parents r pretty liberal fo being desi

virilep said:

lol :laugh:

personally, i would rather die than live with my parents again. but that's just me. if you think you can still live the way you want, then go for it and live with them.

pakidoc said:
whoaa ur parents r pretty liberal fo being desi
oh no way dude. she specified that the girl has to be guju and all of the above. but whatever.

Members don't see this ad :)
virilep said:
oh no way dude. she specified that the girl has to be guju and all of the above. but whatever.

hahahaa
my mom will not even discuss stuff like this

side: i just saw ash on a loreal ad!!! damnn

Just consider what you could do with all of the extra money...I think it's what I would call a 'no brainer'. Stay Home!

LTbulldogs said:
Just consider what you could do with all of the extra money...I think it's what I would call a 'no brainer'. Stay Home!

yea, but u will miss out on a lot of stuff. i would live with other med students so u can party, hang out, and study with them, and u will feel more connected with the student body.

are you a mama's boy or not? if yes, stay home... :D

Ha Ha--loser :smuggrin:

No really, my mom's threatening to do the same thing-infact I had to talk her out of doing it during college. Do they all have some weird thing, some empty-nesting virus?

well why dont you tell them to hold off for a year so you can do all the bonding/immersion crap your first year and then save money and have the other advantages your second year when youre more settled. my parents are cool as ****, but that doesnt mean theyre still not your parents and it would be rough to go back. like think about all the crazy, stupid stuff you have done late at night and/or while intoxicated, just to do it (or is that just me) and its hilarious with your roommates, but wouldnt be so funny with your parents. if theyre paying for you im assuming youre going to have to abide by some kind of rules, so you might want to discuss that with them beforehand.

my opinion: no

virilep said:

confooosed.

Not that I know the entire situation, but I think any parents that would just pack up and move to follow their son to med school need some mental help. From your md applicants profile, it appears you already went away for college, so you'd think any remnants of overattachment would be gone by now. I know that free rent sounds nice and all, but I think living with parents would be more of a distraction than anything. Of course, my own family is horribly disfunctional, so I may have a skewed perspective. But in my experience, the crazy hours and stress of professional school would not be a good fit for living with parents.

Sometimes I debate living with my mom during med school. I could save soooo much money, I would never have to cook or do my own laundry, i get my own bathroom, etc etc.

But i don't know. Sometimes I enjoy my freedom. If i lived at home, my social life would go down the drain (tink... why are you partying? Shouldn't you be studying????). I guess my mom is sort of like your parents-- she wouldn't mind a guy crashing at my house. But it would still be really wierd. Would you be close enough to school that you could go to study sessions or go and grab a beer with friends on the spur of the moment? I party, but my mom knows all about the *bad* things i do :laugh: And my mom is pretty cool for an Indian.

In my mind, the pros of living with my mom outweigh the cons. But that's just me. I didn't read the other posts... how far away did you say your parents' house would be? If it was less than 20 minutes, I would totally live at home. Any more than that, I'd get my own place... for convenience and b/c it would hinder me getting to know peeps in my class.

I actually asked my advisor about this because I was considering living with my parents if I went to UColorado. He said, very bluntly, that trying to live with parents is a terrible idea and the only serious problems he's ever encountered were with students who lived with parents. Many parents may not be able to understand that you can't sit down and have dinner every night, you can't attend all the regular family functions, and many nights you'll be home VERY late. If your parents can seriously get off your back let you do what you need to do to be a medical student, by all means, go for it. Just be sure you're going to get the freedom you need.

My parents live about 20 minutes away from my med school and I chose to NOT live with them. It's wonderful to go to my parent's place on a weekend- to raid their fridge and get a nice meal for a change, but it's awfully nice to be able to have my apartment. If your parents are anything like mine, they would panic way too much. I'm at school til midnight on a regular basis. Some of my classmates don't even start studying til midnight (and stay at school til 6 or 7am). Parents just don't understand that kind of lifestyle. I'd say that if you can afford to, don't live with your parents. Having them close is great, but too close is just too much.

People, its time to grow up and learn to take care of yourself. Mom and Dad won't be there to hold your hand when you're coding a patient in the ICU.

This is why WSU is last on my list, I would have NO CHOICE but to live at home. I mean me not living at home would be the equivalent of being completely severed from my family and having my dad hate me for the rest of my life. Easiest thing to do, I am "not accepted" to WSU :) :) :)

I wouldn't recommend living at home, especially if you went away for college. Personally, I'd feel as if I was regressing. Visit mom and dad as much as you want, get some good food and have a nice time but I think you will want a place to call your own-- your own fortress of solitude.