living off campus for the first time, how to stay social

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gatorade848

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am living off campus for the first time ever by myself. in college i lived in a dorm where everything was no more than 5 min walking distance away, now i have to drive ten minutes to get to school and where everyone is at. I live in a suburb and I already passed up a chance to to bar hopping with new med students after orientation meetings since I had to drive back. I am trying to go to as many social functions as possible but i feel there is already a certain disconnect between myself and people that live close to campus. orientation just started though... so would the social aspect just naturally improve as I get to know more ppl? can someone that is living/lived off campus offer some pointers on how to stay connected?

Members don't see this ad.

if you're going to go out and have to drive home, just drink less than you normally would and maybe wait around to sober up some after you have your last drink.

otherwise, 10 minutes isn't that bad of a distance from school. you just need to plan a little bit more to meet up with other people. living in the dorms it's a lot easier to do things last minute.

Create your own social function. Buy a stereo, a ping pong table and a ton of cheap beer. Then invite everyone over.

Members don't see this ad :)
i am living off campus for the first time ever by myself. in college i lived in a dorm where everything was no more than 5 min walking distance away, now i have to drive ten minutes to get to school and where everyone is at. I live in a suburb and I already passed up a chance to to bar hopping with new med students after orientation meetings since I had to drive back. I am trying to go to as many social functions as possible but i feel there is already a certain disconnect between myself and people that live close to campus. orientation just started though... so would the social aspect just naturally improve as I get to know more ppl? can someone that is living/lived off campus offer some pointers on how to stay connected?

Next time you go for some drinks, get someone to give you a ride.

Create your own social function. Buy a stereo, a ping pong table and a ton of cheap beer. Then invite everyone over.

I live in my old house with my parents so thats not possible lol... going from living in a college dorm to living with parents is definitely a adjustment :laugh:. on the bright side i get free rent and free food.

You can still go out with them but don't drink alcohol. Whenever I know I will have to drive and don't want an alcoholic drink I prefer pineapple juice and sprite. Not only does it look like you got something alcoholic so you're not "that guy," but it also tastes great!

Make friends with someone who lives close so you can crash at their place.

so don't pass up those chances. just be responsible.

things do get a little weird around orientation, but you'll meet people and become more social if you go to class and stuff. you'll get to know your anatomy group, etc.

so don't pass up those chances. just be responsible.

things do get a little weird around orientation, but you'll meet people and become more social if you go to class and stuff. you'll get to know your anatomy group, etc.

You'll make new friends as the year goes on. However, while your social life was probably pretty easy in undergrad, having a post-grad social life generally takes more work and effort. It will be an adjustment for sure. However, post grad friendships tend to be better and closer (even if you have a fewer number of friends). Several of your classmates will seem to have found a new best group of friends at the outset of the year. Chances are, though, that these friendships will change

Chances are, however (not to be a downer) that you will likely not have the same sort of social life as you did during undergrad. Your responsibilities increase (for both your friends and you), your free time dwindles, your exhaustion increases, your friends live further away. But, you may like your new life much more, even if it takes some (or much) adjustment.

Everyone will stop hanging out in third year anyway.

Everyone will stop hanging out in third year anyway.

lol

anyway so far based on what I have seen people tend to segregate based on prior location/colleges. during lecture people that went to same college, same high school, same oos states, or same apartment complexes would congregate together and sit in a specific part of the room. I have been trying to sit with different people every day, but now its come to a point where even I feel the urge to join my old high school/college mates :laugh:

The immortal words of Iconz... begin minute 1:24

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x35dsa_iconz-get-****ed-up_music

then make sure you dont get caught... minute 0:34

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtwJvgPJ9xw

Last edited:
You can still go out with them but don't drink alcohol. Whenever I know I will have to drive and don't want an alcoholic drink I prefer pineapple juice and sprite. Not only does it look like you got something alcoholic so you're not "that guy," but it also tastes great!

If you drink pineapple juice and sprite at a bar... You are "that guy."