LizzyM New MCAT score converter confusion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Govols22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was messing around with the LizzyM tool on this website and I noticed something odd. A maximum GPA and MCAT on the old MCAT shows a max LizzyM of 85, but on the new MCAT it shows a max LizzyM of 79. Any explanation for this?

Members don't see this ad.

LizzyM score = 10*GPA + MCAT

GPA is out of a 4.0 scale, and the MCAT is out of 45 points. The LizzyM score applies for the 2015 MCAT by referring to efle's MCAT Percentile Tables and the SDN MCAT Conversion Calculator I programmed (which is based on the percentile tables).

From the Essential SDN Wisdom Sticky. I don't know how the suggested LizzyM score converter works but the above is accurate.

You might be using a percentile table which shows any new MCAT score of 523 or above as being equivalent to a 39 on the old scale. So the maximum LizzyM score with this would be a 79 (39 + 4(4.0)). You can use this calculator instead to convert new MCAT scores to old ones, and since it goes up to 45, you can get a LizzyM score of 85.

The only purpose is to compare your grades and scores to the average grade & scores of schools you might apply to. No school has an average >79 so maxing your score at 79 in no way changes what schools are a good fit with your grades and scores.

Reactions: 1 user