LizzyM New MCAT score converter confusion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Govols22

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was messing around with the LizzyM tool on this website and I noticed something odd. A maximum GPA and MCAT on the old MCAT shows a max LizzyM of 85, but on the new MCAT it shows a max LizzyM of 79. Any explanation for this?
 
LizzyM score = 10*GPA + MCAT

GPA is out of a 4.0 scale, and the MCAT is out of 45 points. The LizzyM score applies for the 2015 MCAT by referring to efle's MCAT Percentile Tables and the SDN MCAT Conversion Calculator I programmed (which is based on the percentile tables).

From the Essential SDN Wisdom Sticky. I don't know how the suggested LizzyM score converter works but the above is accurate.
 
You might be using a percentile table which shows any new MCAT score of 523 or above as being equivalent to a 39 on the old scale. So the maximum LizzyM score with this would be a 79 (39 + 4(4.0)). You can use this calculator instead to convert new MCAT scores to old ones, and since it goes up to 45, you can get a LizzyM score of 85.