LLU Applicants 2014 Summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NinerAvi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I finished my secondary application with LLU about a week ago and to say the least im very anxious. This is definitely my dream school. Has anyone who applied early heard back from LLU? when should i expect to hear back from them? i know its early in the process, just want a little peace of mind.

Thanks and good luck to you all

Members don't see this ad.

I'm also applying to LLU (great school!) but I haven't submitted my ptcas app yet so I haven't gotten my access to the secondary app. You'll have to keep me posted on what you hear!! Btw, just put of curiosity... What are your stats?? I'm SO nervous about LLU because they're such a good school and get so many applicants each year. Wish I could tell how I stack up : )

Does LLU really have mandatory church services and religious classes for their DPT students? Also, no alcohol while enrolled in the program? How would they view me, an agnostic/atheist who occasionally likes to enjoy an adult beverage?

Members don't see this ad :)
@dcscott325
Oh I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who hasn't submitted my app to PTCAS yet! I am so worried that I have waited too long!:(
I'm so nervous! What are your stats?

University: La Sierra Univ.
Major: Pre-PT
Overall GPA: 3.61
Volunteer: 96 observation hours so far! But I hope to have around 120

Ahh, I also haven't submitted my app to PTCAS yet. Do you know if you have to send the secondary app before the priority deadline?

I have submitted my PTCAS application and in progress to complete supplemental application.

@NinerAvi: I am not SDA, but I follow Hinsuism and very spiritual person. I do not know much about SDA, do you think it would hinder my chance of getting in if I say I do not know about SDA? Input on this question will help. Thnkx

@madieb

Yes, I'm pretty nervous too. I think LLU's ptcas deadline is 11/1. Once they receive that application, their website says they send you a link to submit their own grad school app. Your stats, by the way, are pretty impressive! My stats are:
Overall GPA: 3.7
Pre-req GPA: 3.4
Observation Hours: approx 1500 (I used to work at a PT office).

As far as the religious side of the program, I fear that's going to be my biggest hurdle. I know they give preference to SDA members (which in not), and although I'm not an atheist, I'm also not currently active in my church either (Roman Catholic). If they will still accept me, I think their religious components and mandatory chapel will be a great way to reignite my worship. I don't know much about SDA though. Can anyone tell me what the basis of that religion is????

I just finished my last pre-req at LLU this summer for DPT and was able to get to know the faculty pretty well, as well as gather a lot of information regarding the program. I'm also local to the university and SDA, so I understand how a lot of things are run. I'll try to answer as many questions regarding what I know:

1) @NinerAvi: I had my PTCAS application submitted 2 days after it opened in July and had my secondary application submitted 1 hr after it was emailed to me (which was Aug 11, I believe). And I have heard nothing specifically about my application but I was able to talk with the Admissions coordinator and she told me that they are currently remodeling their offices and the Admissions Committee has been on a VERY limited work schedule. She told me that yesterday (09/30) was the first true fully day they'd be getting together to begin reviewing applications. So obviously everything is a tad bit delayed this year.

2) @hmmmatt: Yep, LLU has a mandatory chapel service every week. As an SDA who went to the schools, I can truthfully tell you that the message from these chapels ARE NOT meant to convert you or feel like "church." They're more like inspirational/educational topics that are meant to give you a break during the week. Think things like: eco-friendliness, inspiring story of a paraplegic athlete, never give up, etc.

And you read that right, they expect no alcohol while you attend. It may seem ridiculous to some, but they expect you to at least abide (you don't have to agree) with the principles of the faith while you attend and represent their school. However, I can also truthfully tell you, that not everyone follows this policy and there can be repercussions for blatantly disrespecting the policy, so use your best judgment for yourself. And by blatant, I do mean like being publicly drunk on campus.

3) @JasonC: the final submission date for the secondary application, I believe, is December 1. So it'll be separate from priority deadline.

4) @Megi1212: LLU is an SDA school, but they do not expect everyone to be or to be converted into one. If you're spiritual that's great, if you're atheist, that's fine too. You just need to respect the school's religion while you attend. That's all. Trust me, everyone worries that SDA kids get priority, which I understand, but i wouldn't say that's necessarily true. They look more at if the SDA-raised kid is baptized into the religion, than simply if they claim to be. In some ways that gives every religion a fair chance, they understand that you can be born into a denomination/religion, but they want to see what your real story is, whether you're SDA or not. The school is all about community service, "making man whole," and generally educating people who will be great contributors to society. It's more about your character, than your religion.

5) @dcscott325: To sum up the basis of the religion in a few succinct sentences is a tough one (as you can see, I already get carried away with my responses), but I'll do my best.
- The Seventh-day Adventist church most notably, believes in Saturday as Sabbath (but more specifically sundown Friday evening to Saturday evening - which will become an issue at school is you plan on studying during that time frame in the labs).
- We believe in baptism by immersion, typically at an age where the participant is aware of what their public statement is saying.
- We believe Christ will come back again in a second coming (advent).
- We believe in good health and promoting good health worldwide. Check out anything on Blue Zone areas around the world, Loma Linda has some of the oldest living human beings.
- We believe in promoting the teaching and healing ministry of Christ. Basically, be good people, teach others how to live well too.
- And if I'm going to get really deep (only because it may come up during your time there), we believe in what is called the "Great Controversy," it is the great war between God and Satan, in which Satan is trying to deceive us by telling us lies about God's character so that we won't trust Him, but by knowing the truth, we can come to know God's character. And again, that's the deep part, there's a lot more to it, but to just give you a rough idea of where the religion goes, there ya go.

Good luck everyone! I hope we can all be classmates soon!

I already submitted my Ptcas application and received the secondary one. Does the priority deadline include both the apps to be completed or as long as we submit out ptcas one in?

@ColtB

Thank you SO much for all of your helpful information! LLU is my first choice school so I'm pretty nervous. I do have another question for you though...

I'm not an atheist by any means, but I also having been a practicing Catholic for quite some time. In your experience, do you think this will significantly hurt my chances of getting accepted?

Thanks again!

@ColtB

Thank you SO much for all of your helpful information! LLU is my first choice school so I'm pretty nervous. I do have another question for you though...

I'm not an atheist by any means, but I also having been a practicing Catholic for quite some time. In your experience, do you think this will significantly hurt my chances of getting accepted?

Thanks again!

LLU is obviously my first choice too, hope we can be classmates!

And no, I don't think in any way being Catholic hurts your chances. LLU looks primarily at grades/GPA. To put it very frankly, I had a faculty member literally say "worry about your observation hours and extracurriculars last, it's basically all GPA."

As far as the personal qualities they look for, having a religion is obviously great because it means you'll understand the school a bit better, but overall, it comes down to character. Who do they want on campus interacting with their faculty and other students? Who do they want representing the school out on clinicals?

If you're truly passionate about being a catholic or involved in any way, I would urge you to bring it up and discuss it at your interview. LLU is a missionary-loving school, they'll be excited to hear how your specific religion has impacted you and how you want to impact others. It's not about being SDA/Catholic/Muslim/Non-denominational/etc., it's about how your life experiences have molded you into the type of person they would want to have as a future student. Have something to tell them about your life that you have done well, so that they can see that you have plenty to offer to society and therefore to their school as well.

Thank You ColtB...I appreciate your explanation...:)

Hey guys!
How long did it take to receive the secondary app?
And has anyone heard about an interview?

Good Luck Everyone! Yayy LLU!:)

Members don't see this ad :)
im a first year at LLU. If you have any questions, ill be more than happy to answer it. shoot me a PM

@ColtB, Thank you for your insight! now i know to be more patient, hope to hear something in the next month or so.
Again Good Luck to you all, Keep us posted on your Interview dates and acceptance.

Hey guys!
How long did it take to receive the secondary app?
And has anyone heard about an interview?

Good Luck Everyone! Yayy LLU!:)

I submitted my PTCAS 8/22, they sent my application on 9/10 and received supplemental application from LLU on 09/12... I had to finish it by 09/26.

Hope this helps !!!

Hello, Everyone...So I wanted to let all of you that I have received an email today saying that I have been selected for an Interview on Nov 17th. I would like to know if anybody else receive anything yet...I am excited to meet my future classmates. Also, I wanted to know if anybody here can help me answer few interview related questions...how is the process? typical questions being asked, whether we have to write any essay....Your experience would be a great help. Thank You!!!

What is the amount of debt that one would have graduating from LLU?

I submitted in the end of september and still haven't recieved my secondary app..... this sucks.

I submitted in the end of september and still haven't recieved my secondary app..... this sucks.

I would suggest you to call them and find out, because they usually send pretty soon after you submit your PTCAS and its due within 14 days.

Thanks for the heads up, Just shot them an email.

Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations on moving forward, if you search through the forums you can find some information about what to expect... I also received an email Friday but stated that they simpy forwarded it from Admissions and Records to the DPT department, so hopefully i will hear something soon. Good Luck!

Hello, Everyone...So I wanted to let all of you that I have received an email today saying that I have been selected for an Interview on Nov 17th. I would like to know if anybody else receive anything yet...I am excited to meet my future classmates. Also, I wanted to know if anybody here can help me answer few interview related questions...how is the process? typical questions being asked, whether we have to write any essay....Your experience would be a great help. Thank You!!!

I just wanted to say Best of Luck to those who have interview tomorrow...:)

I just wanted to say Best of Luck to those who have interview tomorrow...:)

:cat::thumbup:

My interview is tomorrow @ 11:30AM and I am still awake @ 4:30AM... what am I doing :heckyeah:

How did it go? I think I saw you there, did you come with backpack?

It went well. Dr. Johnson (my interviewer) was really nice and made me felt at ease when answering his questions!
He told me up front that I displayed a lot of great qualities that they look for in a PT.
Hopefully, I hear back from this school! What about you?

AND, yes, I was the guy wearing the backpack, haha! Did you talk to me? :heckyeah:

Nice. My interviewer was Dr. Larry. No, I did not talk to you, but I was sitting there and I saw you walking by. Well, you posted your picture, so kinda guessed... :)

Reactions: 1 user
One of the PT students at the interviews said we should call in 2 weeks to find out our application status and then keep at it until we hear a decision. She said it can take a while to get your letter...do we just call the school of Allied Health main office?

One of the PT students at the interviews said we should call in 2 weeks to find out our application status and then keep at it until we hear a decision. She said it can take a while to get your letter...do we just call the school of Allied Health main office?

Personal preference. I rather wait and receive a letter mail informing me whether or not I am accepted. It's just so much more exciting to open that letter and see those words "Congratulation (name), you have been accepted to LLU" :heckyeah:

I got their automatically-sent email today (I am sure you did too) which says that "you will receive one of three letters; Accepted, Alternate, or Denied." So I think I will just wait for the letter. Although I though that it would be an email, not a post letter:).
Co Luu, again, with your stats you already know the answer:).

I was told that We will find out something in Jan. if not we can call after then. I am not sure about 2 weeks.

Just got offered an interview for Dec 15!

To those that has gotten their interview, has anyone tried to call the Admissions Office to find out if you've been accepted or not?

To those that has gotten their interview, has anyone tried to call the Admissions Office to find out if you've been accepted or not?
I have not.

I did not call but my friend did (who also already interviewed) and they said they haven't made any decisions yet, and to call back either late December or early January.

Guys, we may get accepted to other schools before we hear back from LLU:)!

To anyone who has been offered/done an interview with LLU...

How long after they received your supplemental app did you get your interview invite??? I got the email notification of my supplemental app status on 11/7 but have not heard anything else since then. When did you guys submit your supplementals?

I'm starting to think no word= no interview : (

How long after they received your supplemental app did you get your interview invite??? I got the email notification of my supplemental app status on 11/7 but have not heard anything else since then. When did you guys submit your supplementals?

I submitted my Supplemental Application on 9/4 and got an invitation on 11/17.
They are still doing interviews, so don't sweat it! They don't make decisions until end of December/early January, from what I've been told.

I submitted my supplemental application at the end of August. They have rolling admission, so it makes sense that you have not heard from them yet. You should not worry for now. I was told that there were about 30 interviews at the day of my interview. I think they accept about 60 people. So they will definitely have to have more interviews! Good luck!

Hi Guys. Congrats to all applying and receiving an interview! I was just wonder if you guys can spare some of your experience and what we may expected in the interview process, for example:

- One-on-one interview or group?
- Type of questions ask?
- How many questions?
- How many faculty or committee presented?
- And any advice you may feel beneficial =]

I appreciate your assistance. Wish you guys the best of luck! I have my interview Dec.15 ^__^ Let the greatness come!! Woot woot!

Hi Guys. Congrats to all applying and receiving an interview! I was just wonder if you guys can spare some of your experience and what we may expected in the interview process, for example:

- Type of questions ask?
- How many questions?

I appreciate your assistance. Wish you guys the best of luck! I have my interview Dec.15 ^__^ Let the greatness come!! Woot woot!

Hey. I can help you out a bit. It is one on one. Each professor has their own sets of question. Generally, they will be asking you.. Why LLU, Whats the difference between PTA and PT, and etc. Theres a post around here that gives a good break down of the interview questions. Interviews will be roughly 20-30 mins. BE yourself in the interview. All of our prof are super chill and they really do want to know you. Be prepared but also relaxed. Ill be there on your interview date to help out! So hope to see ya man! Good luck. LLU is awesome.

Does anyone know when the last round of interview is?

- Type of questions ask?
- How many questions?

I actually had 2 professors at my interview. One of them did not ask anything:). They are not scary at all!:) They asked me questions on my biography or on something rather the same or similar of what the essays were about. Nothing confusing! Good luck!

Hello everyone!
Is there an essay at the interview?

Update: I was accepted by LLU! :) Letters will be sent out in 2-3 weeks. They are currently reviewing all of the interviewed applicants, today was one group, tomorrow they get through another bunch. Good luck to all.

Update: I was accepted by LLU! :) Letters will be sent out in 2-3 weeks. They are currently reviewing all of the interviewed applicants, today was one group, tomorrow they get through another bunch. Good luck to all.
Congrats!!! How did you find out that you were accepted?