LMU-DCOM Class of 2013!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey Meschac I'm interested in buying your books. I sent you a message and I'm not sure if you've seen it yet.

Members don't see this ad.

hey y'all, I have to switch from Tmobile to AT&T because apparently Catherine and her Tmobile posse don't feel like venturing out to cumberland gap to provide service to us DCOMers. Anyway, does anyone know if we need to have a blackberry/iPhone type of device that provides internet service for medical school? I know some schools require these types of phones so I wanted to know before I purchase a new cellular device. thanks!!

hey y'all, I have to switch from Tmobile to AT&T because apparently Catherine and her Tmobile posse don't feel like venturing out to cumberland gap to provide service to us DCOMers. Anyway, does anyone know if we need to have a blackberry/iPhone type of device that provides internet service for medical school? I know some schools require these types of phones so I wanted to know before I purchase a new cellular device. thanks!!

No, you are not required by DCOM to have anything like that. Although, having something like a Blackberry or an iphone for rotations will come in handy.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, you are not required by DCOM to have anything like that. Although, having something like a Blackberry or an iphone for rotations will come in handy.

I'd agree. I currently have an iPhone 2G (EDGE, no 3G), but the data service is so crappy that it's almost worthless unless I'm wifi. Because of this, it would be a waste of your money to get a new iPhone and pay for 3G that you won't use unless you go to K-Vegas. That being said, If I had it to do over again I'd get the cheapest phone I could with unlimited text messages. Then I'd buy an iPod touch to use as my PDA/email/epocrates/flashcard holder. Depending on where I end up for rotations (whether the data plan is worth having) I'd upgrade to the iPhone at that time.

Office of Student Services
Lincoln Memorial University
Cumberland Gap Parkway
Harrogate, TN 37752-0901

Hey guys!!

Is this the address we use if we reside in the school's apartments?

Thanks

Office of Student Services
Lincoln Memorial University
Cumberland Gap Parkway
Harrogate, TN 37752-0901

Hey guys!!

Is this the address we use if we reside in the school's apartments?

Thanks
no, the inn address is 134 Brooklyn St., Apt #?, Cumberland Gap, TN 37724

Hey guys! Hope you all are enjoying you last little bit of freedom. I just wanted to let everyone know that I bought a newly remodeled house in Speedwell, TN about minutes from school and I am looking for a roommate! Let me know if anyone is interested. My e-mail is [email protected].

Hello,

Can we smoke in the University INN Apartments?

:D

Thanks,

You are about to start your training to become a doctor and you smoke? What ever happened to leading by example :laugh:

Hello,

Thanks,

You are about to start your training to become a doctor and you smoke? What ever happened to leading by example :laugh:

I worked with a cardiologist that had a "do as I say, not as I do" attitude. :laugh:

I'm sure by the time Anatomy is over, all the current first year smoking med students will have changed their minds.

I also meant to say.. Welcome everyone! I haven't been around SDN much lately, but I'm constantly on facebook.

So, if you're on facebook, do 2 things: join the DCOM c/o 2013 group and add me as your friend (I created the fb group)!

See you all in a couple of weeks!

Hello,

Thanks,

not in the apps...but you can outside...as for DCOM smoking isnt allowed anywhere on campus...you can sometimes sneak in a cigarette in the parking lot but you better don't run into dr. leo or dr. lenz lol:D

best yet quit...(i wish i could listen to my own advice :oops:)

as for phone service...i know for a fact that tmobile will drop you from their contract after a year since you will be roaming all the time at the apps (and it costs them too much money...they called me "extreme roamer" lol)...it happened to me (i may add without any notice all of the sudden my phone was disconnected...i had to fight for 3 hours with customer service to get my account activated for one day again so i could keep my number)...verizon works everywhere...att sucks at the INN but it works great on campus and in midelsborro.

i-phone is amazing as i hear for rotations but i know my friend's iphone doesnt have any service at the INN so maybe it's just better to wait till you go on rotations with that(especially that att may get dropped by apple and hopefully verizon will get iphone soon).

any questions just shoot guys! cant wait to meet you all:D:D:D

not in the apps...but you can outside...as for DCOM smoking isnt allowed anywhere on campus...you can sometimes sneak in a cigarette in the parking lot but you better don't run into dr. leo or dr. lenz lol:D

best yet quit...(i wish i could listen to my own advice :oops:)

as for phone service...i know for a fact that tmobile will drop you from their contract after a year since you will be roaming all the time at the apps (and it costs them too much money...they called me "extreme roamer" lol)...it happened to me (i may add without any notice all of the sudden my phone was disconnected...i had to fight for 3 hours with customer service to get my account activated for one day again so i could keep my number)...verizon works everywhere...att sucks at the INN but it works great on campus and in midelsborro.

i-phone is amazing as i hear for rotations but i know my friend's iphone doesnt have any service at the INN so maybe it's just better to wait till you go on rotations with that(especially that att may get dropped by apple and hopefully verizon will get iphone soon).

any questions just shoot guys! cant wait to meet you all:D:D:D
LOL..when you told me about that, I was cracking up

They also have femtocell devices which give you full signal within a 200 foot radius...I know T mobile, Verizon and Sprint have it...not sure about ATT

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10150052-1.html?tag=mncol

Members don't see this ad :)
guys,
anyone know what we wear for orientation, especially for guys? nice shirt, pant and a tie are good for me (I don't like the suit). What do you think?

guys,
anyone know what we wear for orientation, especially for guys? nice shirt, pant and a tie are good for me (I don't like the suit). What do you think?
a shirt and tie is good enough...don't over do it with the suit

Do we have to wear things that are within dress code during orientation week?

No suit. You'll be wearing your white coat

White coat? I thought we won't get it untill the white coat ceremony. Sorry for not being clear on that. BTW. What is the dress code?

White coat? I thought we won't get it untill the white coat ceremony. Sorry for not being clear on that. BTW. What is the dress code?

I kinda caught the gist of it when I was at Oasis before my interview.

Woot, found it in the handbook: this is from the 2008 handbook:

All DCOM students are expected to be dressed appropriately at all times with awareness
to personal hygiene, cleanliness and especially a professional demeanor.
Students need to demonstrate that they have the proper judgment about what attire to
wear for a given educational activity. Patients should feel comfortable in a student’s
presence. A student who wears revealing clothing that makes a patient feel
uncomfortable is not showing good judgment in this area.
1. Students should not wear clothing that may be provocative or distracting to other
members of the community. Students who come to school dressed
unprofessionally will be asked to leave the campus, change clothes and return in
appropriate attire. Any absence from class or an exam because of the student’s
lack of judgment will be considered an unexcused absence. The dress code is
enforced between the hours of 7:30 am– 4:30 pm on Monday through Friday.
2. While not an exhaustive list, tube tops, tank tops, t-shirts, flip-flops, excessive
body piercing, cutoff shorts, and jeans with holes in them are examples of
inappropriate dress and are considered unacceptable. Dresses may be no more
than three fingers above the knee. Scrubs are only allowed in the anatomy
laboratory. When representing DCOM in any type of public forum, such as a
conference or certain on-campus events, the dress code is, at the very least,
business casual. At some public forums a higher standard is expected. Again, the
student must display correct judgment and match the appropriate clothing with the
event.
3. Courses with a laboratory component such as Osteopathic Medicine, Anatomy,
and Clinical skills will require that students dress as directed for these courses.
The syllabus for each course will explain in more detail the appropriate attire.
4. Students on clinical services are required to wear clean white jackets with
appropriate dress. Men are required to wear shirts with ties and slacks, or
equivalent dress. Women are required to wear dresses, blouses with skirts or
slacks, or equivalent.

----

Sorry for the crappy line breaks. But that should help. :)

Last edited:

well...basically the dress code is something that is deemed professional...the last post broke it down perfectly from the handbook

During orientation, a shirt and tie is good for the FIRST day..after that, everyone takes it down a notch

During white coat ceremony (ours was in october), you will definitely need a shirt and tie....no suit coat (because you will be getting and wearing your white coat)

On most days, I just wear either khakis/jeans and a polo...I have had some earings in the past and I don't wear those and I try to keep my hair normal...no dying it pink or mohawks

Also remember that is is quite cold in the classrooms, so even when it is about 95 degrees outside, it will be freeezing inside...so bring a fleece or a pullover...

Nevermind question got answered--A student told me that we are in fact allowed to wear khakis and white shorts....so long as they are not cargo or cutoff.

Last edited:
By the way, does anyone know a place where I can view pics of the dorms? Kinda wanted to see the size of the fridge in the room again and whatnot (really really random I know).

What do people use for cable/sat TV up there?

What's the best?

What's the best?

If you're going for sat, people have told me that Directv is the best. I have directv as well and it works great. I live in Middlesboro, however, so as far as other areas, it may be different.

If you're going for sat, people have told me that Directv is the best. I have directv as well and it works great. I live in Middlesboro, however, so as far as other areas, it may be different.

Is there also a cable provider up there?

Is there also a cable provider up there?

I believe there's a place called New wave, which does cable, internet, and telephone. I got my internet through ATT and I have direct tv, so I don't know much about it, but I saw a billboard with New wave on it on Cumberland Ave, so that's probably a good bet. Hope this helps and all works out!

I believe there's a place called New wave, which does cable, internet, and telephone. I got my internet through ATT and I have direct tv, so I don't know much about it, but I saw a billboard with New wave on it on Cumberland Ave, so that's probably a good bet. Hope this helps and all works out!

New Wave apparently does not offer service Harrogate. I guess its down to Communicom and DirecTV (for cable at least).

On the required books, I know some students said that not all were necessary. Are the OMM Books on the Required list useful? Or should I not even bother?

And as far as recommended text goes, I know students on here said the BRS stuff was good. Anything else? Is the other texts they recommend useful?

Last edited:

What's the best?

We had DirecTV at our last rental house and it was great, until we moved and weren't allowed to install it on the roof of our new place. It was a HUGE hassle to get out of the contract (even though they were the ones that wouldn't install it on the front of the garage because it was a high def dish) and we lost money. It's impossible to work with those people. They also ended up charging us for the "free 3 months of premium channels" that we never even watched. We have Dish Network now.

I recommend asking the people you are renting from before signing with anyone to know what and where you can have a dish installed.

Do we have to wear things that are within dress code during orientation week?

You absolutely do. If anything, you'll want to step it up in your professional dress for orientation because this is your first exposure to the faculty and deans and you want to make a good impression. You will also be having your photo taken for both your ID swipe card and your class photo. You will be sent home if you are dressed inappropriately.

After a couple of weeks, many people start to just dress to the bare minimum that is still acceptable within the dress code. Some still wear ties (or skirts for ladies) daily because that's the image they want to express and that's fine too.

Anyone in Harrogate want to help me move a couple couches from my truck to inside my house tomorrow? That's it--no other moving - promise!! I just need to get the couches from the truck to the house.

I'll buy beers

On the required books, I know some students said that not all were necessary. Are the OMM Books on the Required list useful? Or should I not even bother?

And as far as recommended text goes, I know students on here said the BRS stuff was good. Anything else? Is the other texts they recommend useful?

Yes, get your OMM books. The most important one is the Nicholas and Nicholas Atlas of OMM Techniques. The others you can probably do without, but you will use the atlas all the time.

As far as other books, its up to you as to which books you want. In terms of text books, I didn't use that many because I found lectures + review books to work great. In terms of review books, these are the ones I highly recommend:

First Aid for the USMLE, 2009
Biochem: Lippincotts Illustrated Review: Biochemistry
Anatomy: Road Map to Anatomy and Netters
Pathology: Rapid Review Pathology by Goljan (more of a 2nd semester book)
Physio: BRS Physio (more of a 2nd semester book)
Pharm: Lippincotts Illustrated Review: Pharmacology OR Katzung & Trevor Review of Pharmacology (2nd semester)
Micro: Clinical Micro Made Ridiculously Simple (2nd semester)
OMM: Review of OMT by Saverese

I really didn't like many of the BRS books except for the physio book

Nevermind question got answered--A student told me that we are in fact allowed to wear khakis and white shorts....so long as they are not cargo or cutoff.

Yes, you can wear shorts (I wore cargos and didn't have anyone say anything). Just make sure they are nice and not ripped up and strings hanging all over. Cutoffs are not allowed. Overall, the dress code is very acceptable since you can wear jeans, shorts, tennis shoes, etc. You just can't wear t-shirts, hoodies, sandles, and cutoff shorts. Wearing a collared shirt is no biggie, just don't pop your collar....only idoits and tools do that.

Last edited:
Overall, the dress code is very acceptable since you can wear jeans, shorts, tennis shoes, etc. You just can't wear t-shirts, hoodies, sandles, and cutoff shorts. Wearing a collared shirt is no biggie, just don't pop your collar....only idoits and tools do that.

I think sandals are now acceptable also, just no flip-flops. They made some new approvals this year. Just check the latest student handbook edition.

I think sandals are now acceptable also, just no flip-flops. They made some new approvals this year. Just check the latest student handbook edition.

yep...as long as the sandals have ankle straps...mine were approved

I second this. Only douchers sport the popped collar.

OH MY GOD.... you mean people really do this? I moved out of the big city 10 years ago to a pretty rural area so I never really saw it.

New Wave apparently does not offer service Harrogate. I guess its down to Communicom and DirecTV (for cable at least).

Unfortunately the area is a little behind in terms of cable/internet providers. I personally had a less than stellar experience with Communicomm (more their internet service than cable) and would suggest caution in choosing them. With regard to internet, if AT&T DSL isn't an option, here is an avenue to consider. I copied it from the interview forum:

post_old.gif
05-26-2009, 09:35 AM #1351 bouspret
consilio et animis

icon1.gif
internet options
hey all,

I don't know what info they sent out with your acceptance package, but we finally have another internet option other than Communicom. Communicom has routinely dropped service and performed poorly for me over the past year. I just got my house wired with all fiber optic from Sunset Communication (no instal fee!). When you get your new address, call and see if you can get their service. 5MB/sec for about $50/month. The installer told me that most of the town of Harrogate is now on their grid.

Looking forward to meeting you all this summer!

http://www.sunsetcom.net/

WWWoooooo hoooooo...just got the call!!! I'm in for this year!!! It may be a little late but I'm in!!! :)

WWWoooooo hoooooo...just got the call!!! I'm in for this year!!! It may be a little late but I'm in!!! :)

somebody must have missed their orientation and got the boot. congrats on the acceptance.

somebody must have missed their orientation and got the boot. congrats on the acceptance.

Everyone showed up for the orientation, but I guess someone decided to switch medschools last minute after orientation. I'm so happy :love: Now I just need to catch up on all the work I've missed. Eeek!

...as you can see I have two accounts :p I couldn't remember my password for this one until shortly...hehe

Last edited:
Everyone showed up for the orientation, but I guess someone decided to switch medschools last minute after orientation. I'm so happy :love: Now I just need to catch up on all the work I've missed. Eeek!

...as you can see I have two accounts :p I couldn't remember my password for this one until shortly...hehe

Wow, congrats on the acceptance. I can't believe someone went to the orientation and then opted out....very strange and a first for DCOM from what i know, but good for you. I wouldn't worry, you wouldn't have missed too much the first day or 2. You can make it up fairly easily.

I think it's been like 6 months since I posted on ole' SDN but I just wanted to say congrats to the 2013ers. Jim's book list is solid. BRS books are good for short attention spans (me) or people who like outlines (me). I heard another reason for that late acceptance but no idea if it is legit - sounds pretty unbelievable to me. Either way, who cares, congrats on getting in!

PS Hi Ornburn!

I think it's been like 6 months since I posted on ole' SDN but I just wanted to say congrats to the 2013ers. Jim's book list is solid. BRS books are good for short attention spans (me) or people who like outlines (me). I heard another reason for that late acceptance but no idea if it is legit - sounds pretty unbelievable to me. Either way, who cares, congrats on getting in!

PS Hi Ornburn!

I was in EPC-1 class today and I was told with stories of how incredible you guys are in rotations. You guys are representing for DCOM.

AWESOME! :):thumbup:

I am so glad that I made a good decision to go here.

Last edited:
I was in EPC-1 class today and I was told with stories of how incredible you guys are in rotations. You guys are representing for DCOM.

AWESOME! :):thumbup:

I am so glad that I made a good decision to go here.

We'd like to hear how they are doing in rotations. When did they start?