LMU-DCOM (DeBusk COM) Discussion thread Part 2 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We'll see, won't we!
Lol

Lol..I read some articles where it states that medical students actually regress in their maturity level over the first 2 years of basic sciences until they hit clinicals....I'll probably be a text-book example :hardy:

Members don't see this ad.

Lol..I read some articles where it states that medical students actually regress in their maturity level over the first 2 years of basic sciences until they hit clinicals....I'll probably be a text-book example :hardy:

This should be fun then! :hardy: I can just picture how living in the student apartments will be . . . just like undergrad, except everyone will be in in their mid to late 20's and there are no RA's! Woo Hoo! :laugh:

i didn't realize there were places that weren't tax-free on groceries... are groceries taxed in TN? it's sad that i've been here for 4 years and have not paid attention.. i just assumed it was the same as in WI
Tennessee has no state income tax, so they make up for it by taxing everything else. A lot of our stuff, for example I believe restaurants, are at like 9.5% tax, but I believe that local sales taxes that can be added on top of state sales tax (which I believe is 7%) effects that value

Here is a quote from a news report by volunteerTV:

"After a vote from the state legislature, the sales tax on food in Tennessee will drop one half cent, from 6% to 5.5%."

So it looks like I'll be saving about $20 per month buying groceries from the Wal mart in Middlesborough

Members don't see this ad :)
This should be fun then! :hardy: I can just picture how living in the student apartments will be . . . just like undergrad, except everyone will be in in their mid to late 20's and there are no RA's! Woo Hoo! :laugh:

Which is exactly why I will not live in student housing if I go to lmu

Which is exactly why I will not live in student housing if I go to lmu
2 A.M fire alarm drills wouldn't be nearly as funny when you're trying to get those last couple of hours of sleep before a big test...will they?

2 A.M fire alarm drills wouldn't be nearly as funny when you're trying to get those last couple of hours of sleep before a big test...will they?

They wouldn't be fun period, even with out the test.....believe me, I graduated from college a year and a half early for a reason....I was over it before I started

They wouldn't be fun period, even with out the test.....believe me, I graduated from college a year and a half early for a reason....I was over it before I started

Booo, that's no fun.

is this what med school does to a person? :p

Let me tell you...med school makes you all kinds of goofy. Less mature...probably....what it might mean is that it is the really stupid things that make you laugh (more so than normal - hence my interpretation of your earlier post ;)) and you want to do stupid things to relax. Video games get played a lot during breaks and nights after an exam. But overall, I know I am more mature than I was in undergrad...you have to be, in combination with being crazy to go thru all this, to get thru school. If you take it seriously all the time, it would suck royally. You have to have fun, makes funny videos, make fun of yourself and medicine, etc. to really enjoy yourself. Its a really good way to not burn out.

i didn't realize there were places that weren't tax-free on groceries... are groceries taxed in TN? it's sad that i've been here for 4 years and have not paid attention.. i just assumed it was the same as in WI

Thats funny b/c I never heard of groceries, etc. being tax free. Back in Chicago, we get taxed for everything (sales tax is about 8.75%) and have much higher property taxes than here in TN. We paid 4x more for property taxes on our condo in Chicago (actually burbs of chi-town) than the average house (twice the size of our condo) here in TN. Its crazy.

As for Wally World (wal-mart) and fast food joints, there's a ton....no problem there. It is the sit-down restaurant that I miss, i.e. Chilis, Fridays, etc. Thankfully they are in K-ville.

Let me tell you...med school makes you all kinds of goofy. Less mature...probably....what it might mean is that it is the really stupid things that make you laugh (more so than normal - hence my interpretation of your earlier post ;)) and you want to do stupid things to relax. Video games get played a lot during breaks and nights after an exam. But overall, I know I am more mature than I was in undergrad...you have to be, in combination with being crazy to go thru all this, to get thru school. If you take it seriously all the time, it would suck royally. You have to have fun, makes funny videos, make fun of yourself and medicine, etc. to really enjoy yourself. Its a really good way to not burn out.

As for Wally World (wal-mart) and fast food joints, there's a ton....no problem there. It is the sit-down restaurant that I miss, i.e. Chilis, Fridays, etc. Thankfully they are in K-ville.

Yep..actually everyone really regresses in times of stress

oh...so it's the sit down one's that are missing....i was mistaken..i thought it was the fast food ones

There's an a+ mexican food place in middlesboro, not too far from wal-mart. I'm looking forward to eating there 6 nights a week.

There's an a+ mexican food place in middlesboro, not too far from wal-mart. I'm looking forward to eating there 6 nights a week.

ooh me too...my diet is divided between general tso's chicken and mexican food, especially enchilladas...:biglove:all 7 day of the week

Anyone else interviewing on 2/29??

It seems like everyone on here is already accepted...but I thought there might be some people who usually just read the posts and never actually write anything. Orrrr maybe it's just me.

But I guess thats what happens when you don't send in your secondary app until early Feb...lol. (not entirely my fault...had some LOR issues)

Oh, and Syncope...I could have done without your breakdown of the stats!
:p

that would be hilarious if there was an RA and I get written up as a 22 yr old med student. hahahaha

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else interviewing on 2/29??

It seems like everyone on here is already accepted...but I thought there might be some people who usually just read the posts and never actually write anything. Orrrr maybe it's just me.

But I guess thats what happens when you don't send in your secondary app until early Feb...lol. (not entirely my fault...had some LOR issues)

Oh, and Syncope...I could have done without your breakdown of the stats!
:p

Don't worry....there are LOTS of lurkers :)hello:). I meet them weekly.

The student apts aren't loud or distracting at all. Most of the time I never see or hear anyone. The most I usually hear is sometimes people walking by, but even that's only when I don't have the tv on or anything. It is definitely NOT like the dorm life you were used to in undergrad. Not to mention when you have a test, your neighbor has a test so that helps too. All-in-all it's a pretty good place to live, especially at first so you can focus on getting here and oriented to your new life (or lack thereof).

when you have a test, your neighbor has a test

nice...and what a difference that will make. It's nice that they seperated out the dorms for medical students...i can imagine the only time it is loud is after final exams and so forth :hardy:

So I was promised some raisons from California in exchange for your safe passage while you were here. You sat BESIDE me the entire night at Oasis and never once mentioned my raisins. I'm going to talk to Dr. Stowers about this first thing in the morning. Unacceptable Hippiechick, if that is even your real name. Oh the tangled web we weave....:mad: <---This is my disappoined face.

nice...and what a difference that will make. It's nice that they seperated out the dorms for medical students...i can imagine the only time it is loud is after final exams and so forth :hardy:

Even then it's not really loud. People typically go out and celebrate or, if they're like me, go on a 20-30 hour sleeping binge. I can't say I've ever had a time yet where it was bad.

sure is, now to convince the faculty that exams nov-march (and hopefully first weekend of april) are not as important as those not during basketball season.

Good luck with that...

They went and scheduled a test for the Monday after the re-match in Lawrence on 3/1. Oh well...that means a study break for me.

Looks like I'm gonna be severely outnumbered! Too many Jayhawks! ;) That's at least 3-1 now by my calculations.

The good news is, our Spring Break this year starts the first day of the tourney and goes through the Regional Championship games...so, I know what I'm doing over Spring Break! I just hope the test on the 20th is a quick one and that Beasley and Co. are playing on Friday and I can get there!

rockchalk - your fiancee will smoke you in the dome if you eat pelanchos nightly, if i dont first, tugboat.

Even then it's not really loud. People typically go out and celebrate or, if they're like me, go on a 20-30 hour sleeping binge. I can't say I've ever had a time yet where it was bad.

man let's not forget our dreadful fire alarms..now they don't frequently blow out my eardrum, but yea fire alarms are a big negative about the apt's. I would still put the apt as a great option esp for new comers and really to get acclimated to the environment. I personally hate to move constantly..3rd year you gotta move around a lot..so might as well wait until then to get in a house hunting mode. A lot of 1st years have moved out or will move out of the apt's though..

T-minus 7!!!!!

this is the time I start having daily nervous breakdowns :)

Hey all!

I'm heading out to Tennessee from Cali on Thursday :) and wanted to know if there will be folks at Oasis on Thursday night. I would love to meet a few of you!

Also, I don't have much snow driving experience. ::scared: What's the snow/ice situation this time of year (I'm driving from Knoxville Airport)? I've checked the weather report, but they just say "partly cloudy", which tells me nothing about snow on the ground (or road).

Thanks for the info! I am incredibly excited about this interview and sincerely hope to join you guys in the Fall.

Roselee

PS. I hope to regress in med school! :hardy: I've been teaching undergrads for the last 6 semesters and I'm "tired" of being the one who mature and is in charge....haha

T-minus 7!!!!!

this is the time I start having daily nervous breakdowns :)

it's best not to even think about it...and make it turn into a conversation rather than a question/answer session....good luck :thumbup:

it's best not to even think about it...and make it turn into a conversation rather than a question/answer session....good luck :thumbup:

make what turn into a conversation? now youve got me confused

:laugh: I think the second part is for RoseLee. I think I might start a countdown like yours on the AZCOM thread. :scared: :luck: for getting a great score!

ooh sorry..long day...i thought you still had an interview at DCOM coming up...that's what I thought the countdown was for

so what is in t-7 days? mcat score?

ooh sorry..long day...i thought you still had an interview at DCOM coming up...that's what I thought the countdown was for

so what is in t-7 days? mcat score?

Yep, 7 days until her MCAT score is released. :luck:

She interviewed back in January with me. ;)

The student apts aren't loud or distracting at all. Most of the time I never see or hear anyone. The most I usually hear is sometimes people walking by, but even that's only when I don't have the tv on or anything. It is definitely NOT like the dorm life you were used to in undergrad. Not to mention when you have a test, your neighbor has a test so that helps too. All-in-all it's a pretty good place to live, especially at first so you can focus on getting here and oriented to your new life (or lack thereof).
Yeah, I highly doubt that with all the studying and tests that everyone in the student apartments will have there will be loud crazy partying going on all hours of the day/night. I know that I will bust some heads if there are people being ******ed and loud when its late and I'm trying to sleep. Dont care to be an ******* at all and tell them to shut the **** up and quiet down. And I think prions was being a little silly when she was talking about all of that.

Sorry, didn't mean to freak everyone out about party time at DCOM student housing! I lived in the dorms as an undergrad and had waaaaay too much fun, so don't worry it's been out of my system for quite some time. ;)

I just think it will be fun to live with fellow classmates . . . ever if the wildest we ever get is staying up till 2am studying together. :p

Oh and Laura, we will make you come over and hang out and darn it you'll like it! :smuggrin:

Hey Rose, I think we should be the social event coordinators for student housing! I was a RA in college, so watch out . . . I'm full of cheesy/fun ideas! :laugh:

Sorry, didn't mean to freak everyone out about party time at DCOM student housing! I lived in the dorms as an undergrad and had waaaaay too much fun, so don't worry it's been out of my system for quite some time. ;)

I just think it will be fun to live with fellow classmates . . . ever if the wildest we ever get is staying up till 2am studying together. :p

Oh and Laura, we will make you come over and hang out and darn it you'll like it! :smuggrin:

Hey Rose, I think we should be the social event coordinators for student housing! I was a RA in college, so watch out . . . I'm full of cheesy/fun ideas! :laugh:

And cheese comes from happy cows....and your avatar looks very happy!!!

Just got back from my interview yesterday. Much like everyone else that visits this place, I fell in love with the school, the people, the faculty and everything else. The technology is freaking unbelievable!!!! Too bad we didn't get a chance to see the anatomy lab. I would have like to see what they did with that one! I think the interview went well, but the cream is in the pudding! Missed the Oasis because of delayed flights, but those that went liked it a lot.

I went to the Pinnacle point, and it was great! Only 3 of us went though (HippieChick, I think you were there?) A bunch of people were worried about their 6 or 6:30 flights out of Knoxville. I had a 6:30 and by the time I returned my rental, checked my bag, I even had time to eat! So anyone reading this, I would recommend you go with Bob (amazing guy!) up there and check it out. Its a great way to wind down from the day. He's also a local expert and you can ask him just about anything! Oh, and another pointer for those driving up from Knoxville to the interview, take the 75N to the 63E. Its a much better way to go. Its faster and less curvy. The 25 is more scenic and shorter, but you go slower and it will actually take more time.

So with all of this partying and maturity discussion going on, its got me thinking... Thats the only thing I forgot to ask about yesterday! What about those of us (myself included) who would like to have some partying at every possible opportunity? Will there be anything for us with all of you guys studying quietly or hibernating in your apartments? Any partying on the LMU campus itself? What is a guy to do? (especially if he can't line dance to save his life!) :smuggrin:

Just got back from my interview yesterday. Much like everyone else that visits this place, I fell in love with the school, the people, the faculty and everything else. The technology is freaking unbelievable!!!! Too bad we didn't get a chance to see the anatomy lab. I would have like to see what they did with that one! I think the interview went well, but the cream is in the pudding! Missed the Oasis because of delayed flights, but those that went liked it a lot.

I went to the Pinnacle point, and it was great! Only 3 of us went though (HippieChick, I think you were there?) A bunch of people were worried about their 6 or 6:30 flights out of Knoxville. I had a 6:30 and by the time I returned my rental, checked my bag, I even had time to eat! So anyone reading this, I would recommend you go with Bob (amazing guy!) up there and check it out. Its a great way to wind down from the day. He's also a local expert and you can ask him just about anything! Oh, and another pointer for those driving up from Knoxville to the interview, take the 75N to the 63E. Its a much better way to go. Its faster and less curvy. The 25 is more scenic and shorter, but you go slower and it will actually take more time.

So with all of this partying and maturity discussion going on, its got me thinking... Thats the only thing I forgot to ask about yesterday! What about those of us (myself included) who would like to have some partying at every possible opportunity? Will there be anything for us with all of you guys studying quietly or hibernating in your apartments? Any partying on the LMU campus itself? What is a guy to do? (especially if he can't line dance to save his life!) :smuggrin:

I heard they throw some cool parties in some random cave on campus...any truth to this? a cave-bash sounds awesome :hardy:

I heard they throw some cool parties in some random cave on campus...any truth to this? a cave-bash sounds awesome :hardy:

ahhh...reminds me of my sorority days................

Hoss - hahaha, Well, if I'm starting as a 5 year old, do I have much farther to go???? I'm not going to be carrying a bottle around.... unless its in a brown paper sack. :).

Prions - Social coordinators???? Sounds fun to me :D

I heard there are a lot of new apartments being built up there. Do any of you know some names? I think ill be coming up sat to look at places to live.

Hey all!

I'm heading out to Tennessee from Cali on Thursday :) and wanted to know if there will be folks at Oasis on Thursday night. I would love to meet a few of you!

Also, I don't have much snow driving experience. ::scared: What's the snow/ice situation this time of year (I'm driving from Knoxville Airport)? I've checked the weather report, but they just say "partly cloudy", which tells me nothing about snow on the ground (or road).

Thanks for the info! I am incredibly excited about this interview and sincerely hope to join you guys in the Fall.

Roselee

PS. I hope to regress in med school! :hardy: I've been teaching undergrads for the last 6 semesters and I'm "tired" of being the one who mature and is in charge....haha

Hi Roselee,
We haven't had much snow this year (again). I wouldn't worry too much about it. I heard there may be some freezing rain today though, but if the temperature stays above freezing, you will have nothing to worry about. If it's raining, sleeting, or snowing...just be sure to take it slow. Also, you will want to take I-75N to exit 135 (which is Hwy 63 East). Follow that same road all the way to Harrogate and take a left at the red light (it is the only red light in Harrogate).

Here is a google map link to the directions from McGhee Tyson:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=...-83.898468&sspn=0.734547,1.450195&ie=UTF8&z=9

Good luck at your interview...and sorry I didn't see your post sooner.

I heard there are a lot of new apartments being built up there. Do any of you know some names? I think ill be coming up sat to look at places to live.
I'm not sure when they said those would be ready for us Andrew. I was gonna look at them, but I'm not sure they have even broken ground yet.... At least thats what I heard when I was up there last, before Christmas. I'm sure things could have changed in the last three months, but I dunno. The way they were talking it didnt sound like they would even be ready for us in August. But who knows. I think I'm gonna live in the DCOM apartments at least for the first semester and see if I can find anything after that or if I like it to just stay there.

How are classes this semester?

I'm not sure when they said those would be ready for us Andrew. I was gonna look at them, but I'm not sure they have even broken ground yet.... At least thats what I heard when I was up there last, before Christmas. I'm sure things could have changed in the last three months, but I dunno. The way they were talking it didnt sound like they would even be ready for us in August. But who knows. I think I'm gonna live in the DCOM apartments at least for the first semester and see if I can find anything after that or if I like it to just stay there.

How are classes this semester?

There is new construction going on next to the apartments. They are moving pretty quick too. When they will be ready...I don't know.

So far, classes have been good. The first 3 weeks sucked ***, the next 2 were better. So far, the Neuromusculoskeletal system is going very well. The lectures have been really good....a lot of clinicians. It is really cool to see what we've learned so far be applied. Time to get back to or orthopedic surgery lecture...freaking awesome!!!!!!!

Orthopaedic surgery lecture?! That sounds so freaking cool!! Man oh man, next year is gonna be great :)

I hope your not talking about Pelanchos! Not even close to authentic, but I guess I shouldn't complain, I did eat my whole tostada! I know there was another Mexican place there though, maybe that's the one your talking about, I wish I had tried that one instead!

So I was promised some raisons from California in exchange for your safe passage while you were here. You sat BESIDE me the entire night at Oasis and never once mentioned my raisins. I'm going to talk to Dr. Stowers about this first thing in the morning. Unacceptable Hippiechick, if that is even your real name. Oh the tangled web we weave....:mad: <---This is my disappoined face.

Im sorry :( I did have some rasin boxes here at home that I almost brought, but I didn't have enough for everyone and that wouldn't have been fair now would it have? I promise though, cross my hear and hope to die, that if I am accepted I will bring the rasins!:oops:

I am a bit worried, that we might have an emergency situation on our hands. It has been 24 hours since word from the ranks in Harrogate, what are they doing to you all over there? Do we need to call in re-enforcements

This is very stressful, I am having to take time out of my cell bio midterm study just to make sure that this thread doesn't fall to page two, I cannot take responsibility for this on my own, I'm not even accepted yet

In other local news....

T-minus 5