LMU-DCOM (DeBusk COM) Discussion thread Part 2 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey Everyone! A friend of mine is renting her house (it's a nice one) out. Here are some details:

3 bedroom 2 1/2 bath in Lincoln Memorial Estates
A huge great room with a wet bar, large laundry with washer/dryer hookup
Dining room and large front living room on main floor
Tile and hardwood throughout house except bedrooms
2 car garage and huge private back deck
Tenant reponsible for yard upkeep
1 year lease and 3 references required
900$ month water included + electric
1st months rent plus 900$ security
no pets
Available August 1st

If you may be interested or know anyone who is, just send me a message and I'll give you her name and number!~

Members don't see this ad.

So..i have a ? for all the guys from 2011 class. After the first lecture on friday afternoon, should I expect to spend the entire weekend studying like crazy, or will it be a sunday afternoon review kind of thing? I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to be able to do that weekend, if my girlfriend can come visit, or if I should be a good student and tell her to stay at home because I need to study. I don't want to jeopardize my grades or anything, but If i really won't have alot of studying to do that weekend then I'd like to have a fun weekend before the real studying begins.

thanks!!

So..i have a ? for all the guys from 2011 class. After the first lecture on friday afternoon, should I expect to spend the entire weekend studying like crazy, or will it be a sunday afternoon review kind of thing? I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to be able to do that weekend, if my girlfriend can come visit, or if I should be a good student and tell her to stay at home because I need to study. I don't want to jeopardize my grades or anything, but If i really won't have a lot of studying to do that weekend then I'd like to have a fun weekend before the real studying begins.

thanks!!

You will not need to study too hard after the first lecture. You will have plenty of time to visit during the first weekend. You should find that if you use your time properly, you will have plenty of time to do things other than studying.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone. I was just curious if anyone's spouse or significant other has been able to find a job down in the area. I know my wife is having a tough time finding a teaching job down there.

Hey everyone. I was just curious if anyone's spouse or significant other has been able to find a job down in the area. I know my wife is having a tough time finding a teaching job down there.
Has she tried Campbell County High School? What year does she teach?

She is certified to teach pre K through 6th grade. Everywhere she has called there has not been any openings. I guess the turnover rate for teachers is pretty low compared to where we are from.

She is certified to teach pre K through 6th grade. Everywhere she has called there has not been any openings. I guess the turnover rate for teachers is pretty low compared to where we are from.
I've been near the area (Roane Co.) for 13 years...I rarely had a teacher leave (I can only think of 2, one retired, and one moved).

I don't know too much about teaching in that specific area. I would say that turnover in Harrogate would be extremely low. Has she tried all the area schools? I know that there is a brand new elementary school right next to my house in Caryville. It's about a 45 min. drive. from Harrogate.

anyone get an email about the rating of the waitlist....

Hi guys, i think the Thinkpad may be a big improvement over the Gateways. I will miss the touchpad though. The Thinkpads appear to be much more portable due to the smaller size. Looking forward to handling it.

Looks like it has slowed down in here a bit as everyone is preparing to converge on DCOM.

Best wishes for those of you still on the waitlist!!

So...what are all you 2011ers doing over the break? Anyone doing research? Anyone doing absolutely nothing? I bet Nascardoc has made sure to wear out the XBOX.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys, i think the Thinkpad may be a big improvement over the Gateways. I will miss the touchpad though. The Thinkpads appear to be much more portable due to the smaller size. Looking forward to handling it.

Looks like it has slowed down in here a bit as everyone is preparing to converge on DCOM.

Best wishes for those of you still on the waitlist!!

If I remember correctly, they might have ordered Lenovos that have a touch pad in addition to the red mouse thing, but that was something they were talking about awhile ago. If I get the Lenovo, the biggest thing I will miss is the widescreen on the Gateway....its awesome. Honestly, the weight issue is the least of my concerns b/c it sits on a table. As for rotations, who knows how much we use it, but I imagine we would use PDA's more than the laptops. I am not sure if I will get the Lenovo, it depends on how much we have to spend on them, but I definitely won't get it based on just weight alone. But when we saw them, they looked great, I just want to play around with one before I decide what to do.

So...what are all you 2011ers doing over the break? Anyone doing research? Anyone doing absolutely nothing? I bet Nascardoc has made sure to wear out the XBOX.

Yeah, I've been playing lots of Call of Duty 4......awesome freaking game.....I am a 55 on it, but I won't use the prestige mode b/c I don't have the time to get all my weapons/perks back. I also am spending a good amount of time with the wife b/c there is a baby nascardoc on the way :soexcited: :woot: :claps: :nod: :zip:

I am doing as little as possible. :soexcited:I have been going to see lots of movies and I have read 5 novels this summer so far!

Oh yeah and trying to loose the 10 lbs I put on last year!!! :eek:

Congratulations!! Do we all get a cigar for orientation too? ;)

Remember this.....the surgeon general never said anything about smoking the competition ;) <--- from a nascar bumper sticker

I'm actually working at the nascar race this weekend in Chicago....lots of fun and very crazy. Gotta love the night race.

We are very excited about the baby....he/she will be here in mid-October, so if you don't know what I look like, just look for the panicing blonde guy around October 19 :help:

Yeah, I've been playing lots of Call of Duty 4......awesome freaking game.....I am a 55 on it, but I won't use the prestige mode b/c I don't have the time to get all my weapons/perks back.
It is an awesome game...best one available. I did prestige once, but I decided never to do that again...now my challenge is to complete all the challenges and get the golden weapons...and I've only got 19 days to do it!!

I also am spending a good amount of time with the wife b/c there is a baby nascardoc on the way :soexcited: :woot: :claps: :nod: :zip:
Congratulations man! That is awesome!! I can't wait until there's a little hoss running around...Lord willing, that is less than 2 years from now!

If I remember correctly, they might have ordered Lenovos that have a touch pad in addition to the red mouse thing, but that was something they were talking about awhile ago. If I get the Lenovo, the biggest thing I will miss is the widescreen on the Gateway....its awesome. Honestly, the weight issue is the least of my concerns b/c it sits on a table. As for rotations, who knows how much we use it, but I imagine we would use PDA's more than the laptops. I am not sure if I will get the Lenovo, it depends on how much we have to spend on them, but I definitely won't get it based on just weight alone. But when we saw them, they looked great, I just want to play around with one before I decide what to do.

Yeah, I've been playing lots of Call of Duty 4......awesome freaking game.....I am a 55 on it, but I won't use the prestige mode b/c I don't have the time to get all my weapons/perks back. I also am spending a good amount of time with the wife b/c there is a baby nascardoc on the way :soexcited: :woot: :claps: :nod: :zip:

Congrats!!! october isn't that far away!

It is an awesome game...best one available. I did prestige once, but I decided never to do that again...now my challenge is to complete all the challenges and get the golden weapons...and I've only got 19 days to do it!!

Congratulations man! That is awesome!! I can't wait until there's a little hoss running around...Lord willing, that is less than 2 years from now!

Yeah....I've been working on the challenges too. I've completed the M16 and am working on the M4 and 50 Cal.

Congrats!!! october isn't that far away!

Thanks and you're not kidding. October is gonna be here fast, especially once school starts. I'm really looking forward to the cardiac system in October too, so it will be a good month.

Yeah....I've been working on the challenges too. I've completed the M16 and am working on the M4 and 50 Cal.
Apparently I'm not a very good aim. I have all of the marksman challenges complete...but headshots are another story. How is it possible to get a couple hundred kills with a weapon and only about 20 headshots?!

Let me know next time you're on if you're looking for a teammate. I never know if it's you or your brother online, and I'm sure the last thing your brother would want is an old pre-doctor guy on his team!

Apparently I'm not a very good aim. I have all of the marksman challenges complete...but headshots are another story. How is it possible to get a couple hundred kills with a weapon and only about 20 headshots?!

Let me know next time you're on if you're looking for a teammate. I never know if it's you or your brother online, and I'm sure the last thing your brother would want is an old pre-doctor guy on his team!

do you guys play COD4 on ps3?

I understand....my bro is the same way....I try to aim for more headshots now and it helps. The most in one game I've had is about 5 or 6. Anytime I creep up on a person, its a headshot. I have about 50 left to finish my M4 and 85 for the 50 cal.

I have my own screen-name on 360....I'll PM it to you.

I just got the call today!!! I am so relieved, I have been going crazy on the wait list. I look forward to meeting you all this fall.

Regards,
Matt

I just got the call today!!! I am so relieved, I have been going crazy on the wait list. I look forward to meeting you all this fall.

Regards,
Matt

Wow...congrats! I bet this is probably oneof the happiest day so far in your life....look forward to meeting you...and I know I speak on behalf of everyone when saying ...welcome to the DCOM community!

Regards,
Matt

Wow...congrats! I bet this is probably oneof the happiest day so far in your life....look forward to meeting you...and I know I speak on behalf of everyone when saying ...welcome to the DCOM community!

Regards,
Matt

Welcome! :hardy: Congrats on making it off the waitlist! :woot:

rangermatt 77 were you told at all that you were in the top five or anything???

rangermatt 77 were you told at all that you were in the top five or anything???

Nope I called a week ago and all they told me was that some movement had occurred not even a hint I was next. I started a new job 3 hours before I got the call. I was going to teach a medical assistant class in tampa starting Monday. I called my boss and she had some very cross words for me. Like I would pass up the opportunity for her benefit?

I just found out I got in yesterday and am running in circles trying to figure stuff out for living arrangements. Is anyone seeking a roommate at LMU?

I am an excellent chef and have a 3k$ + medical library as perks.....lol

matt

Haha yeah I think anyone would drop their new job for med school. Hope the roommate thing works out for ya.

I just found out I got in yesterday and am running in circles trying to figure stuff out for living arrangements. Is anyone seeking a roommate at LMU?

I am an excellent chef and have a 3k$ + medical library as perks.....lol

matt

Congrats on the acceptance!! We received an email a few days ago stating that there's still apartments available at the University Inn so you may want to check that out. Goodluck with the housing search. Look forward to meeting ya in 2 weeks!

Nope I called a week ago and all they told me was that some movement had occurred not even a hint I was next. I started a new job 3 hours before I got the call. I was going to teach a medical assistant class in tampa starting Monday. I called my boss and she had some very cross words for me. Like I would pass up the opportunity for her benefit?

Lol...i had a sit down with my boss last week offering a pay raise and newer position if I stayed on....:thumbdown:

Does he really think anyone would pass up an opportunity of a life time?

I ended up moving all my stuff this weekend to the University Inn Apartments and I must admit, they were a lot nicer and bigger than I expected...you may have some luck there

We were in the area last week to move some stuff in to my daughter's apt(Cassrae). Just wanted to let some of you know that we did shop around for some things, and yes there are not any hardware type stores in the area. Another girl in the apt building where my daughter is living(Megan from St. Louis) went to Lowes in Barbourville which is about 25 miles on 25.
We also shopped in the area ended up going to the super walmart 4 or 5 times I am sure. We got a Mattress set from Dream World which is right next to Big Lots in Middlesboro(the main drag along 25 same side as Walmart) They really gave a good deal on the set with a discount on the already good price, No tax because it was being delivered to TN, and delivered the same day for no charge. We had been to the other furniture stores in town, and these people seemed to have the best deals. they have All kinds of furniture, washers, dryers etc.

Cassie is a professional shopper so you all will have to ask her what she thought of the other stores there. I did inform her that the loans were not for purse and clothes shopping:D
We also stopped by the school and visited with Pat Peace for awhile. She says that she reads the SDN every once in awhile and enjoys the commentary. You can charge anything at the bookstore I believe the dates are 30th 31st and 1st to your accounts and it will come out of your checks. After that you will have to pay for it. The checks will be given out on August 8th.
We also saw Paul Carney and visited with him for a little while. They are both still busy at work.
Not that we are big drinkers, but I don't believe there are any bars. I wondered if maybe there was only alcohol in restaurants?
Anyway there were quite a few cars at the LMU apts and the ones next to those were being worked on.
We will be back in cumberland gap in a couple of weeks. :)

We were in the area last week to move some stuff in to my daughter's apt(Cassrae). Just wanted to let some of you know that we did shop around for some things, and yes there are not any hardware type stores in the area. Another girl in the apt building where my daughter is living(Megan from St. Louis) went to Lowes in Barbourville which is about 25 miles on 25.
We also shopped in the area ended up going to the super walmart 4 or 5 times I am sure. We got a Mattress set from Dream World which is right next to Big Lots in Middlesboro(the main drag along 25 same side as Walmart) They really gave a good deal on the set with a discount on the already good price, No tax because it was being delivered to TN, and delivered the same day for no charge. We had been to the other furniture stores in town, and these people seemed to have the best deals. they have All kinds of furniture, washers, dryers etc.

Cassie is a professional shopper so you all will have to ask her what she thought of the other stores there. I did inform her that the loans were not for purse and clothes shopping:D
We also stopped by the school and visited with Pat Peace for awhile. She says that she reads the SDN every once in awhile and enjoys the commentary. You can charge anything at the bookstore I believe the dates are 30th 31st and 1st to your accounts and it will come out of your checks. After that you will have to pay for it. The checks will be given out on August 8th.
We also saw Paul Carney and visited with him for a little while. They are both still busy at work.
Not that we are big drinkers, but I don't believe there are any bars. I wondered if maybe there was only alcohol in restaurants?
Anyway there were quite a few cars at the LMU apts and the ones next to those were being worked on.
We will be back in cumberland gap in a couple of weeks. :)

Thanks for the update!

Just to add: big lots has some excellent mirrors at some very nice prices...

the price of gas at Kroger's shocked me :eek: it is 57 cents cheaper per gallon than in the chicago suburbs.

The chips/salsa are excellent at pacheto's :)

In regards to the student apartments, how are you guys hanging stuff on the wall? It is made up of that stucco stuff and it seems that the walls are made from concrete. Are we allowed to drill? The sticky stuff won't work because of the stucco type of wall :(

Just wanted to let some of you know that we did shop around for some things, and yes there are not any hardware type stores in the area.

We were able to find some things at 84 Lumber and some at Jim Brown's Supply Company, but both selections are limited.

We also shopped in the area ended up going to the super walmart 4 or 5 times I am sure.

That sounds a lot like our first trip here. Every time we returned from Walmart, we thought of another reason we needed to go back! I'm so sick of that place!

I think this is a dry county... :confused:

Sounds like you all had a successful weekend!

This was posted on the class thread, but if anyone wants to go "school shopping" tomorrow, Malisa and I are headed to the LMU bookstore and the Middlesboro Mall if you want to join us!

Eggsin3baskets:

There is a somewhat traditional hardware store in Middlesboro. If you go to 84 Lumber at the north end of HWY 25 it's on the east side. It's a small selection compared to Lowes and such but it's better than driving to Barbourville!

Also Middlesboro is a dry county there is no alcohol served there. Harrogate and local Virginia do serve beer and wine. There is a package store on the Hwy into VA (the one that runs by the apts). The wood building across from the BP sells beer and down the Hwy there is another BP and Pappy's which sells Beer and Wine. Also the store by Oasis sells beer but I'm not sure about wine. Finally there are 2 bars in Cumberland Gap down the hill from the apts. One is the UNC club and there is another one by the parking lot near the Iron Furnace. Please correct me if I'm wrong anyone who has been there more than me!!!:laugh:

Finally RangerMatt I was one of the 2011ers that did the MedWar in April. It was a blast and highly recommended! We had 3 teams compete through the Wilderness Club at LMU DCOM. PM me if you have any questions about it...I know we are going to do it again this year.

In regards to the student apartments, how are you guys hanging stuff on the wall? It is made up of that stucco stuff and it seems that the walls are made from concrete. Are we allowed to drill? The sticky stuff won't work because of the stucco type of wall :(

I just read in the residential handbook that nails cannot be driven into walls or doors: http://www.lmunet.edu/dcom/pdfs/residential_handbook.pdf (page 8)

Sorry :( What kind of stuff are you trying to hang?

Ranger Matt-

Congrats to you on your acceptance! I was on the waitlist up until June 16, so I know a little bit about not thinking it was going to happen. When did you interview?

Michael Douglas (Alabamacub5)

some nice oil paintings....a nice mirror I bought.....basically, i want it to feel less "dorm" like..and more "home" like....:(

I was also thinking about putting in a drapery bar over the blinds

Have you tried any of these 3M products?:
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Command/home/us_en/products/

I think they make one specifically for textured surfaces and are supposed to hold a decent amount of weight. Also, Walmart sells those curtain rods at a cheap price if the window is cut out of the wall. :luck:

Have you tried any of these 3M products?:
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Command/home/us_en/products/

I think they make one specifically for textured surfaces and are supposed to hold a decent amount of weight. Also, Walmart sells those curtain rods at a cheap price if the window is cut out of the wall. :luck:

ahh...I didn't even think of that type of rod....just using pressure (wedging it self in there)!! Thanks

In regards to the 3m...i tried it..but it didnt even stick because of the uneven surface area....i wasn't aware that they made special ones for textured surfaces...thanks again!

Ranger Matt-

Congrats to you on your acceptance! I was on the waitlist up until June 16, so I know a little bit about not thinking it was going to happen. When did you interview?

Michael Douglas (Alabamacub5)

I interviewed the second to last date..? I don't remember the specific date but it was late in the semester.

I will be arriving at LMU on Sunday to drop off my stuff then head back to florida for a week.........see everyone soon.