LMU-DCOM (DeBusk COM) Discussion thread Part 2 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You'd be surprised. Many of my friends that have one don't take their computer with them now. Also, the music player is the primary function outside of the phone. I have my ipod and cell phone on me at all times...It is just part of my gear I carry. That would make things much more convenient for me. Every new piece of technology has people going "but seriously, what would you ever use that for when you have _____". Hell, people thought PCs would tank. The recording industry though MP3 technology was a joke. Nobody in their right mind would want lower quality music! The list can go on forever.

I think your missing my point. I am a tech guy and love all the coolest and newest stuff. But at DCOM, you will have your computer ALL THE TIME. Trust me. The only time you won't be using them is when driving. Don't get me wrong, they are cool phones and have great function if you don't already have and ipod and phone. But IMO, you have much better things to do with $100 per month than a cell phone bill, especially when you are in front of your computer for 12 hours a day and already own an ipod. Oh, and beware if it ever breaks.....its SUPER expensive and you can't get insurance. I had a friend who had one and the screen cracked and it cost more to fix it than to buy it.

Members don't see this ad.

I think your missing my point. I am a tech guy and love all the coolest and newest stuff. But at DCOM, you will have your computer ALL THE TIME. Trust me. The only time you won't be using them is when driving. Don't get me wrong, they are cool phones and have great function if you don't already have and ipod and phone. But IMO, you have much better things to do with $100 per month than a cell phone bill, especially when you are in front of your computer for 12 hours a day and already own an ipod. Oh, and beware if it ever breaks.....its SUPER expensive and you can't get insurance. I had a friend who had one and the screen cracked and it cost more to fix it than to buy it.

yea you're right....if we were out in the real world...then this would be just perfect...but I am fairly certain my laptop will be on me at all times during my first 2 years at DCOM...and if im not mistaken, there is WiFi over the entire campus.....so there really is no point of a data plan

I'm glad reality kicked in for all of you. I was just sitting there going :sleep:

Sure, they cut the cost of the phone but the bill goes up. Also, like Nascar mentioned, there's no need for it when you have your tablets with you almost 24/7. I've been known to use it as a pillow at times when I randomly crash on it while studying -- oh the great massive dfjjfjisdjijdljilsjsdi line that shows up when I wake up. Anyways, go with a more sensible phone. Accumulating big debt b/c of medical school is no reason to go out and splurge left and right over something one may consider to be "not bad" ... all expenses add up, especially when you accrue interest.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm glad reality kicked in for all of you. I was just sitting there going :sleep:

Sure, they cut the cost of the phone but the bill goes up. Also, like Nascar mentioned, there's no need for it when you have your tablets with you almost 24/7. I've been known to use it as a pillow at times when I randomly crash on it while studying -- oh the great massive dfjjfjisdjijdljilsjsdi line that shows up when I wake up. Anyways, go with a more sensible phone. Accumulating big debt b/c of medical school is no reason to go out and splurge left and right over something one may consider to be "not bad" ... all expenses add up, especially when you accrue interest.

lol...reminds me of the study hour in high school.....I would always sleep using my arms as a pillow with my raised-pattern sweaters on.....and have all sorts of patterns and lines on my face when I'd wake up..

I'm sticking with my cheap Sprint SERO plan with the AIRAVE service for the dorms

I should point out that the only reason I wanted a phone with email capability is because of the drive. It's been nice to get some impt. information while on the road. Aside from that, I don't care for cell phones with all the bells and whistles. Not much of a phone person at all, really.

Having the internet and GPS on the blackberry is nice, but it's so slow, it's irritating.

after the email mr carney sent out my phone is never leaving my side.... im so nervous i keep praying that I recieve that call already have the application for next year filled out and waiting to submit but i really hope i don't need to:luck:

same here

I should point out that the only reason I wanted a phone with email capability is because of the drive. It's been nice to get some impt. information while on the road.

Good thing there are plenty of body-shops in Harrogate.

here's a good article explaining the finances of owning a new iphone from CNN

http://scitech.blogs.cnn.com/2008/06/11/iphone-3g-not-so-cheap-after-all/

iPhone 3G not so cheap after all
Posted: 12:31 PM ET
My initial excitement over the cheaper, faster iPhone quickly faded when I learned that the new low price is somewhat deceptive.

While the price seems to have dropped, do the math before you go the iPhone 3G route.

corner_wire_BL.gif

While it’s true that the device itself will cost $199, actually using the thing would become a significant monthly expense. In fact, the AT&T press release states that data plans for consumers will be available for $30 per month, in addition to voice plans starting at $39.99 per month. Bottom line: $69.99 per month if you’re going to use both internet and voice features. That’s a $10-per-month increase from the iPhone plans that have been in effect since last July. Business customers will have to pay even more: $45 per month on top of the voice plan.
Again, AT&T is the only carrier you can use with the iPhone 3G, and you must sign up for a two-year contract. And don’t forget these prices don’t include tax.
Let’s think about this: would you rather get an iPhone now for $399 and pay $59.99 per month, or wait until July and pay $199 for the iPhone 3G with the $69.99 per month plan?
After two years, you will have spent $1838.76 on the slower, more expensive iPhone with the cheaper plan — and $1878.76 on the cheaper, faster iPhone with the more expensive plan. At the end of the day, the iPhone 3G is actually $40 more expensive. Regardless of the $200 price drop on the product itself, each iPhone customer is paying more than $1800 in usage fees. And that’s a lot of money no matter how you look at it.
The bottom line is that the total price for owning and using an iPhone for two years isn’t going to change much at all with the new iPhone 3G.
Why is this happening? Apparently AT&T and Apple have changed their business relationship so that they don’t share revenue anymore. The cost of the device itself is getting subsidized, and the cost of the monthly plan is going up.

Anyone disturbed knowing there are still 100+ people on the waitlist?! I'm moving today into an apartment til the end of July just in case I'm one of the lucky few. Do you understand how much of a pain in the a** it is to move for such a short period of time? I'm going crazy.

Anyone disturbed knowing there are still 100+ people on the waitlist?! I'm moving today into an apartment til the end of July just in case I'm one of the lucky few. Do you understand how much of a pain in the a** it is to move for such a short period of time? I'm going crazy.

that is quite disturbing...however, i'm not shocked....since they do not deny anyone after interview...everyone else ends up on the waiting list...so you can't really compare it to other schools since they have diff procedures such as acceptance, denial, and wait list

so are you moving to harrogate?

jagerDO - If I remember correctly, aren't you on a waitlist for another school? Have you heard anything from them.

It definitely is a drag with 100+ people on the waitlist. . . and moving for just one month!

So I'm assuming if you don't get in you'll just stay in the apartment til next year?

No I am moving across town (in Illinois) to keep my 2 jobs and stay close to my boyfriend. I am subleting from a friend to avoid signing a new lease. I am still on the waitlist at LECOM-B too but they don't seem too interested in me. Very difficult to even get a response from their admissions office. Mr. Carney is really good at answering emails- good job DCOM!

I remember reading something on SDN at one point about sending letters to the individual interviewers. Any input on whether this is a good idea? I got along REALLY well with my interviewers and I'm guessing they are on my side if you know what I mean. One of them even told me see you soon with a huge smile. I sent an update to Mr. Carney this week with more shadowing, job promotion, change in address.

I want this. I'm so ready to start school again. Those of you that have been through this- any suggestions? I'm getting desperate. :scared:

No I am moving across town (in Illinois) to keep my 2 jobs and stay close to my boyfriend. I am subleting from a friend to avoid signing a new lease. I am still on the waitlist at LECOM-B too but they don't seem too interested in me. Very difficult to even get a response from their admissions office. Mr. Carney is really good at answering emails- good job DCOM!

I remember reading something on SDN at one point about sending letters to the individual interviewers. Any input on whether this is a good idea? I got along REALLY well with my interviewers and I'm guessing they are on my side if you know what I mean. One of them even told me see you soon with a huge smile. I sent an update to Mr. Carney this week with more shadowing, job promotion, change in address.

I want this. I'm so ready to start school again. Those of you that have been through this- any suggestions? I'm getting desperate. :scared:

first things first....I would fill out the AACOMAS again and start the primary application process....i belive they even started it earlier this year...so it's best to be back in the game....and the earlier..the better (as we have all learned from DCOM)

Incase lecom-b or DCOM doesn't work out..you'll be screwed for the class of 2013 as well if you don't start applying now

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah once I get moved in I was thinking about starting my new application. I asked Mr. Carney about it and he told me to wait til August to start working on it if need-be. I don't really have anything different to add to my application this year besides applying early vs. late. You all are amazing for helping me through this btw :p

Yeah once I get moved in I was thinking about starting my new application. I asked Mr. Carney about it and he told me to wait til August to start working on it if need-be. I don't really have anything different to add to my application this year besides applying early vs. late. You all are amazing for helping me through this btw :p

whether or not you have nothing to add, your chances are greatly increased for acceptance when applying early.

regardless of mr. carney's advice, I would suggest you start the app right away...you never know what will happen in August

good luck! :)

You do the letter thing immed. following your interview ... at this point, send in a letter of intent to dr leo

I agree the letter to the interviewers may be a little late at this point. A letter of intent may help, but I would start the new app. No sense in falling behind, even if you end up not needing it, better to throw it away than scrabble at the last minute.

Hmm, I sent a letter of intent to Mr. Carney right after I found out I was waitlisted. Should I send another? I don't want to be annoying, yet of course want to be noticed.

edit: nevermind...deal has ended =(

Last edited:
Is it July yet?..:sleep:

im just as excited as you...but i gauarantee you ...when we're deep in the program..we will be like ..damn I wish it was the summer of 2008 again!!

Hey guys,

We own a house 1.3 miles from school and have a basement apartment that we just finished remodeling available for rent. You can see the school from the drive-way. My husband and I will be living upstairs.

It is large enough for a married couple that REALLY loves each other. :laugh:

1 large Bedroom, 1 bathroom
Kitchen/living room
Laundry/Utility room
Full-size washer & dryer provided
Kitchen appliances provided
Newly remodeled, PLENTY of storage space.
Private entrance
Utilities/internet/cable included
Pet Friendly
$600/month

Still available. Call for details or to make an appointment to see it.

615-513-4787

Hello. The book list for my class is posted: http://www.lmunet.edu/dcom/pdfs/oms1_fall_books.pdf

and I was wondering if the current OMS-1's (I guess you are now OMS-2's?) had the same book list and if so, which books you actually used and if you wanted to sell any of them to me.

I am a non-science major so should I just buy all of them? I didn't know how big the professors were on PowerPoint slides and handouts. I don't mind spending the $$$ if I'm going to use the books, but I hate throwing away $$$ on books I won't crack open.

I will probably forget that I posted this so if you could e-mail me directly at [email protected] and put DCOM somewhere in the subject line that would be great! Thanks. :)

Love,
Stacy

Hi guys, I haven’t been lurking around here nearly as much lately, been real busy.
Congratulations on the new acceptances! Banana dance!!:banana:
And good luck on those still waiting on the call…Jager, Corrupt, Soccerchic etc…

Well, here is what I’ve been busy doing…hoping it can help out a couple people still looking for a place to live.

Complete renovation on a brick basement rancher ~2750 square feet. New carpet and flooring throughout, new Trane heating and cooling system, new copper plumbing, new bath and kitchen fixtures. Some furniture provided. Looking for 2-3 roommates to share the new place with. The house is a in a nice quiet neighborhood six miles south of the school. A couple other med students, faculty, and staff have purchased homes here too.
Here's what's on offer:

There are three separate rooms available. Two up, one down.
Each bedroom has it's own bath!
Upstairs has large kitchen with new GE appliances and lots of cabinet space.
Dining room, Living room, dedicated study room with white boards, etc.
Plenty of closet space and new carpet throughout.
Large laundry room with full size washer and dryer.
Downstairs has separate kitchen, 2 bed rooms, entertainment area with pool table.

High speed wired/wireless internet, cable TV included.
ADT monitored security system.
All utilities included.
No smoking, No pets…sorry

Big bedroom $500/ month
Master bedroom $550/ month

Let me know if you want to see pics or drop by to see in person.
Eric 865-712-2571

Hello All-

I'm new at SDN, but I wanted to introduce myself and say I look forward to meeting you all at Orientation. As of Monday, I am a part of the Class of 2012. So I guess to answer some questions, there is still some movement on the list. From what I could gather from a conversation with people up there, there will probably be some movement still. Is there anyone who lives in Knoxville that would like to talk about carpooling/riding together? My e-mail is [email protected]. Talk to you all soon!

SDG!

Michael Douglas

Hello All-

I'm new at SDN, but I wanted to introduce myself and say I look forward to meeting you all at Orientation. As of Monday, I am a part of the Class of 2012. So I guess to answer some questions, there is still some movement on the list. From what I could gather from a conversation with people up there, there will probably be some movement still. Is there anyone who lives in Knoxville that would like to talk about carpooling/riding together? My e-mail is [email protected]. Talk to you all soon!

SDG!

Michael Douglas

Congrats on your acceptance!

I'm heading over to the LMU bookstore today to check out their prices and compare with Amazon. I'll let you all know what I find.

Hello All-

SDG!

Michael Douglas

Congrats and welcome aboard!

So, it looks like I will be doing a 2-part move in...I will rent a UHAUL and come down with parents and set up everythhing early July...then head back up to chicago and then back down by myself and vehicle a few days before orientation

Congrats and welcome aboard!

So, it looks like I will be doing a 2-part move in...I will rent a UHAUL and come down with parents and set up everythhing early July...then head back up to chicago and then back down by myself and vehicle a few days before orientation

That's what I did, except it took TWO trailers full to get all my stuff down here :p My parents are bringing more yet this weekend :laugh:

That's what I did, except it took TWO trailers full to get all my stuff down here :p My parents are bringing more yet this weekend :laugh:

are you staying at a private residence or utilizing the student inn?

are you staying at a private residence or utilizing the student inn?

We're renting a house a couple of miles from the school. If I stayed at the dorms, I would need a room to live in and a room for my stuff :)

We're renting a house a couple of miles from the school. If I stayed at the dorms, I would need a room to live in and a room for my stuff :)

lol...i want to bring everything i have...but im going to have to pick and choose since im at the inn =(

lol...i want to bring everything i have...but im going to have to pick and choose since im at the inn =(

I feel ya! I didn't realize how much stuff I had until now that I have to start packing! Im coming from CA and Im just bringing what can fit in my little Nissan Sentra, which is not a whole lot! I will prob have to end up shipping alot of stuff over that I won't need right away...but I have no clue how I will fit it all in my 1 room place! :confused:

Hey all,
So our landlady says she now has an apartment available in our AWESOME 4 unit apartment building down in Cumberland Gap. They are 2 bedroom/2 bath apts, that are just being finished, so they are pretty nice. We have pictures of the apt too if you would like to see.

Me and Prions will be living in one of the apts, Rose will live in another, and a couple of other girls are in another. So you will be living among cool people. ;)

Anyways, if you are interested, or would like more info, PM me and I will give you her name and number. :)

so as we get closer to July 1st I have decided it was in my best interest to reapply just in case. I submitted my application last week and have placed applications out to start working back in the hospital ( been working in a hospital as nursing assistant for over 6yrs now). I am moving home back to WI which i never expected to happen... What are the rest of you up to that are still on the wait list?:luck:

Good luck to those on the wait list!! I hope you will be joining me in the fall. :)I'm technically moving my stuff the weekend of 7/11 - 7/13 but then I'm leaving and coming back right before orientation. So if you see a slightly older married interracial couple (white female/black male) in town that weekend, say hi. That's us! (Stacy and her husband, James).

Only 14 more days left at work...I'm counting down. :D

Well, it looks like the LMU Bookstore's pricing is the same or higher than Amazon for new books for the required, recommended, and suggested textbooks. Some are as much as $20 more, but I guess the benefit of getting them at the bookstore is that you don't have to wait for them to be shipped and you can put them on your school account and not have to wait for loan money for reimbursement. If you don't mind having used books, online pricing at Amazon and Alibris is significantly cheaper. I went ahead and ordered them all new from Amazon (minus the Bates' Vusial Guide to Physical Examination Student Set on CD-ROM because I couldn't find it) and it was just under $1000. Anyway, hope this is helpful.

Well, it looks like the LMU Bookstore's pricing is the same or higher than Amazon for new books for the required, recommended, and suggested textbooks. Some are as much as $20 more, but I guess the benefit of getting them at the bookstore is that you don't have to wait for them to be shipped and you can put them on your school account and not have to wait for loan money for reimbursement. If you don't mind having used books, online pricing at Amazon and Alibris is significantly cheaper. I went ahead and ordered them all new from Amazon (minus the Bates' Vusial Guide to Physical Examination Student Set on CD-ROM because I couldn't find it) and it was just under $1000. Anyway, hope this is helpful.

it was very helpful...thank you for following up! :)

Well soccerchicoc... I'm having a crazy time trying to decide my next move. My parents live in Arkansas (not where I grew up) and most of my friends live in Chicago. I'm working in central IL where my boyfriend lives too. Soooo can't decide if I stay in central IL with my job and boyfriend or move to my parents house with no job/social life. Either way I'll be reapplying. I need to rewrite my personal statement very soon. Not thrilled to do this again. An acceptance would make things much easier :mad:

so as we get closer to July 1st I have decided it was in my best interest to reapply just in case. I submitted my application last week and have placed applications out to start working back in the hospital ( been working in a hospital as nursing assistant for over 6yrs now). I am moving home back to WI which i never expected to happen... What are the rest of you up to that are still on the wait list?:luck:

Ooh you're from WI? Where in WI? That's where I'm from! :)

Well soccerchicoc... I'm having a crazy time trying to decide my next move. My parents live in Arkansas (not where I grew up) and most of my friends live in Chicago. I'm working in central IL where my boyfriend lives too. Soooo can't decide if I stay in central IL with my job and boyfriend or move to my parents house with no job/social life. Either way I'll be reapplying. I need to rewrite my personal statement very soon. Not thrilled to do this again. An acceptance would make things much easier :mad:

i hear ya... i submitted my application already and i sorta just twicked my ps.... i really didn't have anything new othere then starting my military career and graduating in top 10% so hopefully it was enough.... so any flooding in central IL?? GL hopefully we both end up in the class of 2012

Ooh you're from WI? Where in WI? That's where I'm from! :)

thats great to hear that someone from WI got accepted... I'm from Oak Creek its in Milwaukee County kinda between kenosha,racine and franklin... what about you where in WI are ya from?

I just added a MDAPPS profile... check it out and let me know what ya think

So I posted this in the class thread too, but I figured I'd post it here too in case any of you don't read the class post.

I did a little investigating between Amazon and Half.com and found out which books are cheaper where--- keep in mind I don't mind used books so some of them may be used.

Cheaper on Half.com:
Langman's Medical Embryology
Basic Histology
Marks' Basic Medical Biochem
An Osteopathic Approach to Diagnosis and Treatment
Study Guide to Epidemiology and Biostats
Bates' Guide to Physical Exam and Hx
Foundations for Osteopathic Med
Molecular Bio of the Cell
Thompson and Thompson
Biochem and Molecular Bio (Board Review Series)

Everything else (which isn't many) was cheaper on Amazon.
Half.com also had the Bates' Visual Guide if you were interested in buying it, seeing as how it's only suggested.

A lot of these were significantly cheaper; a lot of them half the price of Amazon. Hope this helps some of you guys!

Would it possible to either combine these threads or lock one?

Would it possible to either combine these threads or lock one?

probably not..because one is for general DCOM discussion, while the other is the class of 2012 thread

Hello. The book list for my class is posted: http://www.lmunet.edu/dcom/pdfs/oms1_fall_books.pdf

and I was wondering if the current OMS-1's (I guess you are now OMS-2's?) had the same book list and if so, which books you actually used and if you wanted to sell any of them to me.

I am a non-science major so should I just buy all of them? I didn't know how big the professors were on PowerPoint slides and handouts. I don't mind spending the $$$ if I'm going to use the books, but I hate throwing away $$$ on books I won't crack open.

I will probably forget that I posted this so if you could e-mail me directly at [email protected] and put DCOM somewhere in the subject line that would be great! Thanks. :)

Love,
Stacy

Honestly, outside of an atlas for anatomy and the required book for biostats(in which the problems at the back of the chapters are useful) I'd recommend you just getting review books or the required texts as you see fit. The exception to this is the Bate's book of physical exam/history taking. It comes in very handy.

This past year we used Netter's but it appears as though Dr. Cross is pushing Gray's in addition this year.

The thing about books is that if you realize you need one you can always get it later in < 1 week.

Reading outside of class is a wonderful idea......if you have time.

It's hypothetically possible to get by with just an anatomy atlas your first year if you take good notes. I'm not sure I'd recommend it to most people, however.

Hey all.

I posted this earlier and wanted you to know the option is still available.

I also ordered all of my books online. They are all in great shape. The only reason I am selling them is because I am not going to LMU anymore. You can pay me one flat fee and I can even wait until you get your loan money. I paid 750 for everything on Amazon. I will take less than that for them if you give me a decent offer. The only book I didn't buy is the Grey's Anatomy book which I had already and intend to keep. If you are interested, let me know. With the start of school being so close, I can ship them to you or I will personally drive them up to Harrogate for you. (I live in Knoxville). As you can see, I'm just trying to get the books off my hands. PM me if you are interested.

thats great to hear that someone from WI got accepted... I'm from Oak Creek its in Milwaukee County kinda between kenosha,racine and franklin... what about you where in WI are ya from?

i'm from Janesville.. I was just in that area this past weekend :)