LMU-DCOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

life is good

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you considering LMU-DCOM, I thought I would start the 2009-2010 discussion! Post all thoughts/comments/concerns here!!

Members don't see this ad.

YAY! I have applied to LMU and have visited. It is wonderful! I am just a bit concerned about the variety of rotations that students get to see.

what do you mean variety of rotations?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

I am a first year medical student at LMU-DCOM. So if anyone have any question regard to applying to LMU-DCOM, please feel free to ask me.

LMU-DCOM is a wonderful school and I am sure that you won't regret to choose applying to DCOM.

Good luck with your application process.
Peace.:D

Hey guys,

I am a first year medical student at LMU-DCOM. So if anyone have any question regard to applying to LMU-DCOM, please feel free to ask me.

LMU-DCOM is a wonderful school and I am sure that you won't regret to choose applying to DCOM.

Good luck with your application process.
Peace.:D
I didn't think you were starting until the end of July?

Is it the pre-DO, isn't it? I already went through the applying process so I knew what happened. I did not say anything about the school or beyond. Got my point? Anyway. I just tried to be helpful but if you guys don't like it then it's fine, I am out. No harsh feeling here.

I have been looking into this site for very long time but decided to join the crowd since I am officially applying this year!!! Hurray!!!!

I was wondering where are the rotation sites for this school....I mean are they all in TN, KY area?
Personally I dont want to be stuck there (sorry not to be mean but because of my family). I am from NY and would want to go back to NY after med school......any opinions out there?????

Thanks and good luck.....:D

I have been looking into this site for very long time but decided to join the crowd since I am officially applying this year!!! Hurray!!!!

I was wondering where are the rotation sites for this school....I mean are they all in TN, KY area?
Personally I dont want to be stuck there (sorry not to be mean but because of my family). I am from NY and would want to go back to NY after med school......any opinions out there?????

Thanks and good luck.....:D
Here is a list of our rotation sites:
http://www.lmunet.edu/dcom/academics/sites.htm

The CORE hospitals are the ones you will be based at for your psych, IM, surg, OB/GYN, peds and FM rotation third year:
http://www.lmunet.edu/dcom/academics/clinical.htm
The CORE sites are chosen by lottery, where OMS-2's rank which hospital and what order they would like. The results of the lottery are announced around the end of your first semester and you have until about spring break to trade and switch with classmates if you didn't get what you were hoping for.

The community hospitals and other training sites are a compilation of hospitals/physicians who have agreed to mentor students during their elective/selectives and where you will be based for your 8 weeks in community hospital during your OMS-4. That being said, you are welcome to go anywhere and do (nearly) anything for your elective/selectives. I would recommend this book: http://www.amazon.com/Isersons-Gett...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1245414008&sr=1-1 to help explain why this is important

Best of luck in applying!

Thanks Rockchalkjdoc :p......info is very helpful!
So any news about secondary my fellow applicants????

Here is a list of our rotation sites:
http://www.lmunet.edu/dcom/academics/sites.htm

The CORE hospitals are the ones you will be based at for your psych, IM, surg, OB/GYN, peds and FM rotation third year:
http://www.lmunet.edu/dcom/academics/clinical.htm
The CORE sites are chosen by lottery, where OMS-2's rank which hospital and what order they would like. The results of the lottery are announced around the end of your first semester and you have until about spring break to trade and switch with classmates if you didn't get what you were hoping for.

The community hospitals and other training sites are a compilation of hospitals/physicians who have agreed to mentor students during their elective/selectives and where you will be based for your 8 weeks in community hospital during your OMS-4. That being said, you are welcome to go anywhere and do (nearly) anything for your elective/selectives. I would recommend this book: http://www.amazon.com/Isersons-Gett...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1245414008&sr=1-1 to help explain why this is important

Best of luck in applying!

what do you mean variety of rotations?

I was referring to the fact that all the rotation sites seem to be really spread out. And the majority of them are in really small hospitals. I see the advantage of that being that you get to know the docs better, but I think students would see a lot less "unique" cases.

I am sure that the first class have taken/not taken the comlex yet but what are the chances that they will do well in borads (mid 90%)? Has any first year student asked to anybody about this? how sure are they that the class will do well? Does their GPA provides some information?
I am just curious guys...dont take it as a negative statement please.....:D

My first post, so sorry if it looks messed up. LMU-DCOM is actually my number 1 choice. I have already submitted my primary and would like to go ahead and submit my secondary. My concern is that I took my MCAT on June 18, 2009 and I am not feeling very confident my score is going to be great.
With my mcat worries, should I go ahead and submit my secondary?

Hi, I am applying to this school as well and I was wondering if any of the current LMU-DCOM students know which weekday(s) the interviews are conducted? I'm asking because I would have to plan ahead to take time off from work. :luck: to all of us applying this cycle!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Will LMU accept an M.D. LOR instead of a D.O. LOR? anyone know? It's hard to find D.O.s where I live.

Will LMU accept an M.D. LOR instead of a D.O. LOR? anyone know? It's hard to find D.O.s where I live.
They want a D.O. letter.
Yeah I had a hard time finding a DO too! Did you try the AOA mentor program?

They want a D.O. letter.
Yeah I had a hard time finding a DO too! Did you try the AOA mentor program?
Hi gocatgo,

What is the AOA mentor program? Where can I do that?

oops the link I sent is not working. Anyone want to help out?
Hi gocatgo,

I searched it up on google, and I finally found out what it is. Thank you so much for telling me about this!!

What did say in the introduction text box during the mentor request form? Did you straightforwardly told them you needed a LOR from a D.O.? I don't want to say the wrong thing.... O.O

Hi gocatgo,

I searched it up on google, and I finally found out what it is. Thank you so much for telling me about this!!

What did say in the introduction text box during the mentor request form? Did you straightforwardly told them you needed a LOR from a D.O.? I don't want to say the wrong thing.... O.O
Hi, In the intro text box, I basically wrote that I was a pre-med student who was interested in learning more about osteopathic medicine and wanted to have the opportunity to shadow a D.O., etc.
I waited until I had shadowed the doc for 1 day before asking for the LOR.
Oh and if you get an email rejection from the DOs you are interested in shadowing, don't feel bad! I think about half-dozen D.O.s declined to have me shadow b/c they were too busy at the time. Best of luck to you!

My first post, so sorry if it looks messed up. LMU-DCOM is actually my number 1 choice. I have already submitted my primary and would like to go ahead and submit my secondary. My concern is that I took my MCAT on June 18, 2009 and I am not feeling very confident my score is going to be great.
With my mcat worries, should I go ahead and submit my secondary?

You can go ahead and submit your secondary because they will wait till your 1st MCAT score comes in to review your file anyways.

If you think you might want to retake, go ahead and sign up for the MCAT again and let DCOM know you are planning to retake. They will wait to review your file until your most recent MCAT score is in.

Good Luck! :)

Hi, In the intro text box, I basically wrote that I was a pre-med student who was interested in learning more about osteopathic medicine and wanted to have the opportunity to shadow a D.O., etc.
I waited until I had shadowed the doc for 1 day before asking for the LOR.
Oh and if you get an email rejection from the DOs you are interested in shadowing, don't feel bad! I think about half-dozen D.O.s declined to have me shadow b/c they were too busy at the time. Best of luck to you!
Thank you, gocatgo! You are bunches of help! :)

Yea, I already have 1 DO decline me. Another one said she'll do it, but not at the present time. And I'm still waiting on the other 20. Hehehe

Last edited:
I am sure that the first class have taken/not taken the comlex yet but what are the chances that they will do well in borads (mid 90%)? Has any first year student asked to anybody about this? how sure are they that the class will do well? Does their GPA provides some information?
I am just curious guys...dont take it as a negative statement please.....:D anybody?????????

also anybody any news.....i cant wait to hear something new from this cycle.....isnt they start interviewing in october??? how many people last year was accepted with a 22 MCAT?

I am just curious guys...dont take it as a negative statement please.....:D anybody?????????

also anybody any news.....i cant wait to hear something new from this cycle.....isnt they start interviewing in october??? how many people last year was accepted with a 22 MCAT?

You can use mdapplicant.com to look up for LMU-DCOM. It has stats from previous years. I believe there were some people got accepted with 22 MCAT however the competition is getting harder so I am not sure about this year though.
Good luck!:D

Thanks TXDO :)

You can use mdapplicant.com to look up for LMU-DCOM. It has stats from previous years. I believe there were some people got accepted with 22 MCAT however the competition is getting harder so I am not sure about this year though.
Good luck!:D

yikesss this is one of my top choices, and i got a 20. gpa is a 3.1
im retaking though

yikesss this is one of my top choices, and i got a 20. gpa is a 3.1
im retaking though

Yes, definitely retaking. If you get at least 25 then I think you might get a chance but do not quote me on that

Peace

Does anyone know if LMU-DCOM will accept a regular Interfolio LOR from a D.O.? I see that the website lists an evaluation form that your D.O. can fill out about you, but the form itself says that they can submit a "letter of evaluation on an official letterhead" instead, so I SUPPOSE that means they could submit a LOR through Interfolio. I would rather find a way NOT to use that evaluation form, because the my D.O. LOR writer has already expressed his distaste for "fill-in-the-blank" LORs.
Just wondering what everyone else thought! Will definitely call and make sure, though.

Does anyone know if LMU-DCOM will accept a regular Interfolio LOR from a D.O.? I see that the website lists an evaluation form that your D.O. can fill out about you, but the form itself says that they can submit a "letter of evaluation on an official letterhead" instead, so I SUPPOSE that means they could submit a LOR through Interfolio. I would rather find a way NOT to use that evaluation form, because the my D.O. LOR writer has already expressed his distaste for "fill-in-the-blank" LORs.
Just wondering what everyone else thought! Will definitely call and make sure, though.

I submitted LOR's from both of my DO's using Interfolio. There were no problems with that at DCOM.

What sc1085 said.

When I applied this cycle, I didn't use the fill-in-the-blank anything. No one said a thing. Then again, I'm still supporting the alternate list (hey, someone has to-) so take what I say with a grain of salt. :D

I submitted LOR's from both of my DO's using Interfolio. There were no problems with that at DCOM.

What sc1085 said.

When I applied this cycle, I didn't use the fill-in-the-blank anything. No one said a thing. Then again, I'm still supporting the alternate list (hey, someone has to-) so take what I say with a grain of salt. :D

Thanks a lot, guys! I was hoping it would be that way. My D.O. went on about a five-minute tirade about how he didn't like evaluation forms one day, so this is a relief :)

I'm considering renting Dr. Cross' (anatomy chariman) house.

Any of you OMS II's know anyone that used to live there?? Any advice?

Actually by now, the majority of the c/o 2011 have already taken the comlex. They started their clinical rotations today. Although I have not talken to any of the MS-3s, I in doubt know believe that the majority of the class will do well on the boards. The 2nd year cirriculum incorporates a 2.5 week kaplan comlex course at the end of the year and gives us a few weeks (depending on how early u schedule your test) to study for it after the school year ends. Also take in mind that the faculty is changing and modifying the cirriculum for the better every year so I am sure the future incoming classes will have an additional advantage compared to the first couple graduating classes.

In terms of undergrad GPA and MCAT scores, I talked to Dean Stowers about this. There actually has been a poor correlation with under gpa and MCAT scores and your performance in med school. Alot of students with avg scores (in the 20s) are actually doing better than those who scored in the 30s. He believes that many students who struggled in undergrad have matured their study discipline/habits since then.

Goodluck to all applying and the incoming newbies. Remember, apply early!!

I am so happy to read this. I am one of those average students. I worked full time in undergrad and now I have a 3.0 average. I would like to think that adcoms would look at that and realize you can juggle a lot and handle med school (if I get into med school I will not be working), but unfortunately not all of them do. Thanks for that info and good luck on your comlex!!

Good luck to all who apply. I interviewed at DCOM last year with no luck. The school is great. Hope to meet some of you on interview day, again. :D

Thanks KOM!
Any news poeple?? I am getting bored by just waiting......phewwww

Actually by now, the majority of the c/o 2011 have already taken the comlex. They started their clinical rotations today. Although I have not talken to any of the MS-3s, I in doubt know believe that the majority of the class will do well on the boards. The 2nd year cirriculum incorporates a 2.5 week kaplan comlex course at the end of the year and gives us a few weeks (depending on how early u schedule your test) to study for it after the school year ends. Also take in mind that the faculty is changing and modifying the cirriculum for the better every year so I am sure the future incoming classes will have an additional advantage compared to the first couple graduating classes.

In terms of undergrad GPA and MCAT scores, I talked to Dean Stowers about this. There actually has been a poor correlation with under gpa and MCAT scores and your performance in med school. Alot of students with avg scores (in the 20s) are actually doing better than those who scored in the 30s. He believes that many students who struggled in undergrad have matured their study discipline/habits since then.

Goodluck to all applying and the incoming newbies. Remember, apply early!!

Thanks KOM!
Any news poeple?? I am getting bored by just waiting......phewwww

Hang in there meow. I am sure there will more new applicants post here in the next couple weeks. Good luck to you and check out DCOM's new website. It looks so cool.

Peace

How will I know when they have received all my materials and I am complete? Do you they send an e-mail? It's been awhile since I sent all of my materials.

How will I know when they have received all my materials and I am complete? Do you they send an e-mail? It's been awhile since I sent all of my materials.

AACOMAS Application: you can check your status at AACOMAS application web. It shows complete, incomplete or already sent materials to your applied schools.

LMU-DCOM Secondary Application: I remember that you won't hear anything unless you are invited to the interview. BTW the interview invitation is made by a phone call so make sure your phone is on :D

Meanwhile, hang in there and be patient.

Peace.

LMU-DCOM Secondary Application: I remember that you won't hear anything unless you are invited to the interview. BTW the interview invitation is made by a phone call so make sure your phone is on :D

To help ease your nerves: I don't think they begin inviting applicants to interview until late August/early September. Additionally, I believe interviews didn't start until mid-September last year.

:) I am a "non traditional" hoping to attend medical school after a 20-year career as a lawyer. I just finished taking the science pre-med courses. Science GPA is a 3.3 and overall GPA is a 3.5. MCAT score is 21 (B 6, P 7, V 8 and writing R) My AACOMAS application is in and my secondary application has been submitted as well. LMU has acknowledged receipt of my secondary appplication. My D.O and science faculty LORs are in as well. I am retaking the MCAT August 5th.

Does LMU accept older career changers?

Anyone accepted with a 21 or lower MCAT?

Will LMU interview me when interviews begin or wait until my scores are released from the August MCAT (late September release date)?

What are my chances of acceptance? Thanks.

Another person asks in an earlier post about the timing of the submission of the secondary application. LMU's website advises to submit it before AACOMAS releases the primary application to the school.

:) I am a "non traditional" hoping to attend medical school after a 20-year career as a lawyer. I just finished taking the science pre-med courses. Science GPA is a 3.3 and overall GPA is a 3.5. MCAT score is 21 (B 6, P 7, V 8 and writing R) My AACOMAS application is in and my secondary application has been submitted as well. LMU has acknowledged receipt of my secondary appplication. My D.O and science faculty LORs are in as well. I am retaking the MCAT August 5th.

Does LMU accept older career changers?

Anyone accepted with a 21 or lower MCAT?

Will LMU interview me when interviews begin or wait until my scores are released from the August MCAT (late September release date)?

What are my chances of acceptance? Thanks.

DCOM does look kindly on non-traditional students, there are many people in my class who changed careers to come to medical school. Given that, the only thing that would really hold you back I would think is your MCAT. I don't really know the MCAT stats for DCOM, but I think if you study your butt off for your retake and improve your score, you will have a much better chance of getting in.

Where did you get these stats? wish all the schools would post them..

For everyone intersted, here are the stats for the Class of 2012 at LMU-DCOM:

Number of AACOMAS applications: 2039

Number of applicants scheduled for an on-campus interview: 509 (24.96% of the AACOMAS applicant pool)

Number of applicants interviewed: 497 (24.37% of the AACOMAS applicant pool; 97.6% of interviews scheduled or 2.4% no-show rate)

Number of offers of admissions extended to applicants: 297 (14.6% of the AACOMAS applicant pool and 59.8% of those interviewed)

Number of those who were extended an offer of admission who also accepted the offer of admission/students in the class: 160 (53.9% of those who were offered admission)

Grade Point Averages:
Mean Cumulative GPA 3.38
Mean Non-Science GPA 3.5
Mean Science GPA 3.27

MCAT Scores:
Mean MCAT Composite Total 24.4

Males 84 (%)

Race and Ethnicity:
Minority (self-reported) 10 (6%)
Non-Minority 150 (94%)

By State:
TN 55 (34%)
KY 9 (6%)
VA 6 (4%)
WV 0 (0%)
NC 6 (4%)
SC 2 (1%)
GA 5 (3%)
AL 4 (2%)
All Others 73 (46%)

Males 84 (%)
----------------
160 % :confused:
I am thinking those are absolute figures, not percentages :laugh: lol

For class of 2013: LMU-DCOM received 2,339 applications for the class of 2013, meaning there were almost 15 applicants for every seat in the class.

Around 300 more applicants than last year. Good to hear:thumbup:

sc1085, anyway thanks for posting those stats! I was really happy to see that LMU-DCOM will consider out-of-state applicants :thumbup::xf:

Does anyone knows when they start inviting people for interview?
Email/mail or call?

Thanks everyone out there! :D

Does anyone knows when they start inviting people for interview?
Email/mail or call?

Thanks everyone out there! :D

I emailed Robin Lamb at admissions a week ago and she said that they will start reviewing applications and setting up interviews in August. She told me interviews will not begin until October.

Thanks droogdoc....that means we have to wait until next month to be reviewed....wow......

I emailed Robin Lamb at admissions a week ago and she said that they will start reviewing applications and setting up interviews in August. She told me interviews will not begin until October.

Is it possible to send the secondary without the DO LOR? It may be another month before I find a DO who will have a long enough conversation with me to consider writing me a letter...