LMU-DCOM or Univ of Tenn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOornottoDO

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like some insight...I am on medical leave (contracted mono during finals) from UT but have applied and been accepted to LMU-DCOM in the mean time. I have the option of beginning next year as a 1st year LMU-DCOM- DO student or a 2nd year UT-MD student. Any intelligent advice??? LMU has great faculty and an impressive facility, however it is very inconveniently located with not many options in regard to real estate. I really did not enjoy my 1st year at UT and am reticent to return...

Members don't see this ad.

Why would you even consider starting over? Wasn't one first-year enough for you?

Members don't see this ad :)
OP, I agree with the others...it would be crazy to start over again. I would just suck it up, go on to MSII. You'll be out of there in 3 years, you can go to some other city/state for residency.

agreed. stay and get that MD! only one more year of classes!

thanks guys for the honest opinions. the truth is, i just really hate UT and am separated from my wife while attending there. i chose the school initially because of their reported emphasis on primary care which seems to be lacking; in fact, it is often ridiculed. lmu appears to really stress primary care and encourage patient-centered medicine. anyway, i just wanted to get the opinion of some other people who are in medical school (the in-laws and old lady are wanting me to attend LMU, go figure).

Sometimes you gotta make your family happy. If your willing to start all over and absorb the lost tuition money(not to mention that DCOM's tuition is probably much higher) then go for it.

Sometimes you gotta make your family happy. If your willing to start all over and absorb the lost tuition money(not to mention that DCOM's tuition is probably much higher) then go for it.

I don't want to be harsh but this is silly advice. For heaven's sake stay at Tennessee.

I would suggest that you have a five minute sit down with your in-laws and tell them that they need to butt out. Once they get the idea that they are in charge you won't be free until they croak. I've been in this position and you need to nip it NOW.:mad:

Maybe he just likes pain and suffering. It would be cheaper to just take a stapler to your nuts.

I am enjoying (i.e., not hating) first year, but I think I'd rather go sit in a woodchipper than do it again.

Hey, guys. Be nice.

If he does decide to go to DCOM, at least he'll have a leg up from the rest of us. Not necessarily saying that i would repeat first year, but you have to do what makes you happy. You're already going to be miserable, right?

Do what makes you happy. :)

I just think it is a bad decision. I don't know how much emphasis you expect to get with any speciality your first year. The most I see is preceptor stuff with a primary care doc, which isn't THAT significant. I also don't think it is the greatest choice financially. The grass is always greener....

thanks guys for the honest opinions. the truth is, i just really hate UT and am separated from my wife while attending there. i chose the school initially because of their reported emphasis on primary care which seems to be lacking; in fact, it is often ridiculed. lmu appears to really stress primary care and encourage patient-centered medicine. anyway, i just wanted to get the opinion of some other people who are in medical school (the in-laws and old lady are wanting me to attend LMU, go figure).
why do you care if the school emphasizes primary care? a primary care residency is pretty easy to get from any US school. woldn't you rather start residency (especially a primary care one) with as little debt as possible?

Where does your wife live? My first thought was definitely stay at UT. However I couldn't imagine not living with my husband. Plus if I knew my husband was referring to me as an old lady I would have my way in a heartbeat. :smuggrin:

If you have already finished one year of medical school, you should just remain where you are at the moment, it makes no sense to repeat the first year of medical school all over again. Medical school is not about enjoyment, its a very serious endeavor and an expensive one. If you are paying for school with loans, that is another serious consideration. Honestly you are not living in some third world country with no running water or reliable electricity, another three years in Tennessee should be no big deal, after school you can train wherever you want.

I'm late to this thread, but where does your wife expect to live during clinical rotations, whether you're at UT or DCOM? What about residency?