LMU-DCOM vs. GAPCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

superstreet1906

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am wondering if people from both of these schools can give me insight about pros and cons about these two respectable medical schools? Also which one they would pick and why.

Thanks in advance guys!

PS-I currently want to go to GA PCOM due to family being in the area at this time but I have recieved a few D.O. acceptances with one of them being at LMU. Also how would you voice your wanting to go to GA PCOM more than other schools even if you don't have the higher MCAT(8x3 sections) that I have been reading that they are wanting?

Personally, I would go with LMU-DCOM. They have a great faculty and excellent facilities, and I know some of their clinical faculty personally, so I can attest to how truly great they are. The only thing I didn't like about Debusk at my interview was the location - really, really rural...really rural.

I really do not like GAPCOM. PCOM main campus is an excellent school. GAPCOM really rubbed me the wrong way. I visited before application season and one of the deans came into the room full of potential applicants and stated (no joke), "I assume you are all here because you are not competitive at MD schools." I didn't like the curriculum structure or the comments from students I talked to while there. However, my dislike is based on the fact that I would not be a good fit there, and GAPCOM would not fit my needs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I would go with LMU-DCOM. They have a great faculty and excellent facilities, and I know some of their clinical faculty personally, so I can attest to how truly great they are. The only thing I didn't like about Debusk at my interview was the location - really, really rural...really rural.

I really do not like GAPCOM. PCOM main campus is an excellent school. GAPCOM really rubbed me the wrong way. I visited before application season and one of the deans came into the room full of potential applicants and stated (no joke), "I assume you are all here because you are not competitive at MD schools." I didn't like the curriculum structure or the comments from students I talked to while there. However, my dislike is based on the fact that I would not be a good fit there, and GAPCOM would not fit my needs.
Wow- can't believe that was said either. On a happier note, your signature makes my day. HIMYM is the only show I bother watching :)

As for the schools I never visited PCOM-GA because I was accepted to DCOM. I just all in all had the best experiences with DCOM. Their faculty, staff, and students all seem genuinely satisfied there. As far as curriculum, location, price, etc., that is a decision that only you can make. Certain things will be better for you and you must do the research to figure out which school fits you most. However, when it comes to the people- DCOM wins hands down. I can't ask for anything more than a phone call for an acceptance with all the admissions staff on speakerphone congratulating me and telling me they're rooting for me! Not to mention the staple of an employee, Bob, as your tourguide, who sent me a personalized Christmas card congratulating me and referencing my particular story. It doesn't get any better than that!!

What maldabrocc said about the Doctor's statement is true - I was there for that open house day and was floored when it happened. I have a college peer who is going there and likes it just fine, but I was really turned off by that statement.

I would personally pick Debusk (in fact, I almost did but decided on VCOM). There are many reasons, but really it matters more where you felt at home. The two schools are very different in many ways (location, faculty, facilities, rotations, etc), which makes it difficult to say which one would be a better school for you (OP).

You might want to check the thread titled "Pros and Cons of your medical school" and look through for info about the two schools. It should help you make your decision.

For me being close to family was a priority. My first interview invite was from DCOM. Once i heard from ga-pcom i rescheduled with dcom hoping i would get into pcom. That being said, i never went to even visit dcom. I love the outdoors and have heard great things about dcom, but it is a little too rural. I was at ga-pcom twice and felt welcome and in civilization both times, i can head an hour or two north if i need a hiking fix. I was also really impressed with the locations of the rotations around the state and southeast. While the campus isnt more than a warehouse, it has everything you need.
As for mcat scores if you look at the ga-pcom app thread you'll see lower scores have been accepted. Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:
However, when it comes to the people- DCOM wins hands down. I can't ask for anything more than a phone call for an acceptance with all the admissions staff on speakerphone congratulating me and telling me they're rooting for me! Not to mention the staple of an employee, Bob, as your tourguide, who sent me a personalized Christmas card congratulating me and referencing my particular story. It doesn't get any better than that!!

I forgot about this part - they are SO nice there. I felt like I was with family.

NCguy,

Would you mind posting the students comments or a summary of them? To help us out, maybe they mentioned something to you that we hadn't heard or known.

Personally, I have had the tour of the the "warehouse" and sat in on a class. Unfortunately, my tour guide was a professor, he was very nice and helpful, but of course he was there to sell me on the school. We never got to speak with any of the students.

I recently moved from Atlanta, so I can talk about the location. School is in the suburbs and Atlanta is a big driving city...meaning that most people live outside the city and commute in for their fun(if they choose) so don't worry about the school being in the suburbs. I am leery of DCOM only because of the location and I personally want to look more into their clinical yrs.

Last, I shadowed a DO who teaches at Ga-PCOM...I can't say enough great things about the guy. If every professor there was like him, then it would move up into my top 3; however, I just don't know if they are as helpful, honest, and straightfoward as he was.

I am applying in the next cycle, if I was only accepted to Ga-PCOM, I would still be overjoyed. I think you will receive a quality education in a city that has a lot to offer and not just socially. I haven't seen TexasTriAthlete on SDN in awhile, but I know he goes to Ga-PCOM and he has used his time in Atlanta well to network with physicians at Grady(excellent trauma center in the SE).

I think you would also receive a quality education at DCOM, but you would lack in the city department.

Sure--

I heard them say that there is a set amount of distance you have to be from the school before they'll give you housing... so one guy was complaining about feeling like he was living in his car because his general surgery rotation was on the other side of Atlanta or something.

TT actually stopped and talked to us about some emergency medicine research that he was currently involved in. I was very impressed that the school being as young as it is, is already making a good impression on local hospitals and programs.

I want to comment on these two points. The commute in Atlanta is getting to be in the top 10 worst cities I believe esp from Gwinnett County (county the school is in) into the city and past the city. Of course, this is one of the issues of living in a large city that didn't plan very well for growth--most things are spread out and limited public transportation. My job while I was living in Atlanta involved lots of driving, I could go over the insane traffic issues. On the other hand you are getting to go to school near a city that offers a lot of medical opportunities and social opportunities.

If I remember correctly when TT talked about his summer research, I believe he got this opportunity through his own networking/volunteering at Grady weekly, NOT because of connections through the school. Obviously, since he has done this it is probably slightly easier if someone a GA-PCOM would want to do something similar in the future b/c he has established that GA-PCOM can produce quality med students.

I lived in Atlanta for undergrad and yes, the traffic aspect really does take a toll after a while. This isn't something I would necessarily have as a basis for a medical school decision, but if you really need an upside to the rural area of LMU-DCOM I would say that not living in Atlanta is a HUGE plus. The experiences you would get in the Atlanta hospitals would be awesome, though.

Rotations for DCOM are mostly in Knoxville, TN, which is a pretty decently sized city as well. I can't comment on the living situations there exactly, but most of my high school went there for college and I haven't heard them complain (though I doubt they had any experience with the hospitals in the area :p).

Yea, sorry I didn't elaborate. I think the opportunity arose when he was volunteering. What I meant was the opportunity has allowed Ga-PCOM's reputation in the area to grow a little stronger.

Also, I've heard this too about Atlanta... which is why I'm really hoping to do the majority of my rotations back up here in the Charlotte metro area...

I currently live in Atl and the traffic is ridiculus. It takes me a little over 30 min. to go 3 exits to work. I drive towards the north end of 75 and I know the traffic gets worse towards downtown. You will have to decide if the opportunities in Atl are worth the additional time spent in the car to get home. Personally, I would not want to spend an additional 1hr plus in traffic after a long day at a rotation site, but I am used to it after living here for the past few yrs...consider it a part of life.

If you're looking to take the initiative to network and all that, then I think GAPCOM is a better choice.

I interviewed at LMU. I was offered one at GAPCOM but was already accepted to a few places, so cancelled it. Anyway, I thought everyone at LMU was VERY nice. They were all very excited. The building was all shiny and new. That being said, I wasn't horribly impressed with rotations and it really is in the middle of nowhere. They talked up how high tech they were, but I didn't see anything that other schools didn't have. It was probably a new model, but I didn't really care about that. When I drove off I left thinking that they were doing something right but the area was just too boring for me. I am also freaked out by tunnels, so that could alter my opinion.

Rotations for DCOM are mostly in Knoxville, TN, which is a pretty decently sized city as well. I can't comment on the living situations there exactly, but most of my high school went there for college and I haven't heard them complain (though I doubt they had any experience with the hospitals in the area :p).

This is false. Most rotations are not in Knoxville. Knoxville has 12 spots. The other spots are in morristown, crossville, tazewell, kingsport, memphis, hazard KY, southwest VA. There are probably a couple others as well that I'm forgetting but I don't want people being mislead.

I currently live in Atl and the traffic is ridiculus. It takes me a little over 30 min. to go 3 exits to work. I drive towards the north end of 75 and I know the traffic gets worse towards downtown. You will have to decide if the opportunities in Atl are worth the additional time spent in the car to get home. Personally, I would not want to spend an additional 1hr plus in traffic after a long day at a rotation site, but I am used to it after living here for the past few yrs...consider it a part of life.

I also live in Atlanta. PCOM is located on the outskirts of the ATL a good 25 miles from downtown. There's definitely traffic there too, but I suspect that if you live near campus, it should be manageable. If you choose to live more intown where the action is, you will have a counter-commute to campus. This usually works well M-W, but R and F seem to be hell by 4:00 no matter which way you're going. I currently live by Piedmont park, which is awesome for lifestyle and okay for my current job. If I get into PCOM we will consider moving closer to campus. At this point, we haven't decided what we value more.

-Buck

This is false. Most rotations are not in Knoxville. Knoxville has 12 spots. The other spots are in morristown, crossville, tazewell, kingsport, memphis, hazard KY, southwest VA. There are probably a couple others as well that I'm forgetting but I don't want people being mislead.

My bad. I interviewed last year, and I just remember they said Knoxville was a site. I am from Kingsport and now I remember seeing that Indian Path was also a rotation site. I still was under the impression that most would be in Knoxville, though.

I also live in Atlanta. PCOM is located on the outskirts of the ATL a good 25 miles from downtown. There's definitely traffic there too, but I suspect that if you live near campus, it should be manageable. If you choose to live more intown where the action is, you will have a counter-commute to campus. This usually works well M-W, but R and F seem to be hell by 4:00 no matter which way you're going. I currently live by Piedmont park, which is awesome for lifestyle and okay for my current job. If I get into PCOM we will consider moving closer to campus. At this point, we haven't decided what we value more.

-Buck

Yeah, the key to commuting is to learn the traffic pattern. I think someone was more concerned about the clinical years, not the commute to the school.

For some crazy reason Thurs. traffic was always insane...I always got a kick out of this..of course at that time I was being paid to sit in traffic, so that does wonders for road rage.

Some people I think hear that the school is 25 miles from downtown and think that they won't go into the city much because of that distance, but Atlanta is a driving city...pretty much everyone lives further out and commutes in for work/play. For people who don't commute at all I am sure this would be a transition, but if you learn the traffic pattern you can (for the most part) avoid the worst of traffic.

When I lived in the city the GA Navigator website was my fav so I could see where the traffic was and plan alternate routes or chill out for 30 mins and then leave.

Just for easy access here is the link that provides the CORE sites and Community Hospitals for LMU-DCOM. It doesn't list how many students go to each site though.

http://www.lmunet.edu/dcom/academics/sites.shtml

Does anyone have a link for GaPCOM? Unfortunately, I think the GaPCOM/PCOM website leaves a lot to be desired (unless they've redesigned it lately).

You go to LMU, right? Can you PLEASE go to the pro/con thread and post.

I talked to a 4th yr at GAPCOM and she said that while they do a lottery on which region you will be doing your rotations in, she has had to set up.the majority of them herself. She was stressed bc of all the paperwork on top of securing a rotation site. I guess it could be an advantage as you can try to get the rotations you want, but I can understand her fustration in the paperwork and the possibility of not finding a rotation that you want.

I talked to a 4th yr at GAPCOM and she said that while they do a lottery on which region you will be doing your rotations in, she has had to set up.the majority of them herself. She was stressed bc of all the paperwork on top of securing a rotation site. I guess it could be an advantage as you can try to get the rotations you want, but I can understand her fustration in the paperwork and the possibility of not finding a rotation that you want.

I know some places make you find your own rotations, but I think some handle the paperwork so this is def. something to investigate when making a decision--for any school.

Hey all!

I actually have a pretty good grasp on both schools, because I was a biomed at GA-PCOM and a med student at LMU-DCOM. I know a bit more about LMU-DCOM, but I will try to give as much as I can on GA-PCOM.

I liked GA-PCOM bc of the location (I lived near school, but ATL was close) and some professors (Matayoshi! He was tough).

I didn't particularly feel it was the best fit for me because I didn't get the " family feeling" (which I feel is really impt bc med school is already ridiculously hard, it's nice to have a positive comfortable atmosphere while you are freaking out). It's not that I required a "hugging or babying" environment, but it's nice to have the close-knit community where every one (faculty, staff and students) knows your name, and you can be in group activities and not be with strangers that you don't know don't know in class. I know as a biomed I knew everyone's name at GA-PCOM, but our class was 45 students. I am unsure of the DO program.

At DCOM we take exams and then have team exams following the exam (an hour or so later) and we take it again (muc quicker) with a team of classmates and then we see the answers so we see the questions three times and can see other ways to arrive at answers, how to go through the thought process, etc. I am not about GA-PCOM.

I know location is a big deal, but so are the school facilities bc of how often you are there. The campus at GA-PCOM (and LMU-DCOM) is one building which is nice, but I just felt that LMU-DCOM was a little more technologically advanced, although both have Sim labs, etc.

As far as LMU-DCOM, it's funny bc I had my heart set on PCOM (Philly campus) and I had interviews at both PCOM's and didn't have experiences that fit me (I am trying to be as nice, but honest as possible, I apologize if this is rather vague).

I drove to LMU-DCOM and freaked out at the town of Harrogate, and actually the entire drive in from ATL. It is a whole different world up in TN. I walked into my interview day convinced this was not for me, and I had a rapid reversal by the end of the day.

I love the technology (SIM lab, plasma screens in study rooms, video conferencing for lectures, smart boards, our tablet computers they give everyone). It was great to have all the lectures videotaped (I know PCOM probably does, too).

The faculty was just SO nice, and they made me feel wanted, and my interview was relaxed and they wanted to get to know me. But, it wasn't fake or overly encouraging. At GA-PCOM I am not sure if it was because I was a biomed, but the experience during the interview was lacking.

The rotations are awesome at DCOM at well, we can rotate in Memphis, Kentucky, TN, Alabama. You have 6 months of standard required rotations your 3rd year and then 6 months of free reign of electives and selectives (as long a approved). Military rotations are easy, too. I am sure GA-PCOM has simillar types of rotations, both rural and urban, as this is the DO program mentality.

At least with DCOM, I know you have options to go to bigger hospitals and even the incredibly small hospitals offer one on one with preceptors so you get to be first assist on surgery, etc. Lots of hands on. Plus, the pathology is unreal up here!

Living situations are definitely not as expansive as GA-PCOM, but there are lots of places and property is so inexpensive.
Knoxville and Morristown are not far, and students make day trips out of it to go study, eat, etc.

It's serene and looking out from the OPP room it feels like you are in some crazy mountain spa overlooking the mountains and fields. It's funny!

The faculty at DCOM (I am sure it's probably similar at PCOM) are former Dean's of other med schools, former professors, etc, and they write for the boards and translate their exam questions accordingly. Both MD and DO professors are there, so the COMLEX and USMLE board questions are written by faculty.

DCOM included Kaplan board prep in the OMS-II curriculum. The anatomy lab has crazy technology, students rotate through the LMU-DCOM community clinic to get real pt exposure. Both PCOM and DCOM have the OSCE (pt actors) and SIM labs. I am not sure but I don't think GA-PCOM has a school run community clinic.

Both schools have lots of diversity within the programs. Different religions, ethnicities, clubs, activities are very common. It's nice to have international dinners, movie viewing, religious activities out side of school. Also, at least with LMU-DCOM, I know, there is a nursing program(graduate and undergradute) and PA school housed within DCOM. It's cool to have all parts of the medical profession available within one place.

Oh and no traffic at DCOM:) I-85-N/S killed me:)

Both are great schools, I am just partial to one over the other for various reasons. I was accepted to both programs.

Thanks!
Have a great day!

Reactions: 1 user