LMU DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chihueagle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about this school? From LMU's website it looks like they won't be accepting applications until January but expect to open next fall (2007) - is that possible? Will any of you be applying there?

Members don't see this ad.

chihueagle said:
Does anyone know anything about this school? From LMU's website it looks like they won't be accepting applications until January but expect to open next fall (2007) - is that possible? Will any of you be applying there?

I guess this is the year of the ghost Osteopathic school (Touro and LMU). :laugh:

chihueagle said:
Does anyone know anything about this school? From LMU's website it looks like they won't be accepting applications until January but expect to open next fall (2007) - is that possible? Will any of you be applying there?[/QUOT

what is LMU, never heard of it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hardbody said:
I guess this is the year of the ghost Osteopathic school (Touro and LMU). :laugh:

I don't think it's a "ghost" - they have started construction...but I guess it could still fall through...

what is LMU, never heard of it?[/QUOTE]

Lincoln Memorial University. It's a small school in Tennessee (near the Cumberland Gap).

chihueagle said:
I don't think it's a "ghost" - they have started construction...but I guess it could still fall through...

Yeah, and Touro has a campus in harlem, but that doesn't mean they are going to open up shop for the fall 2007. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see both of these schools become options for this years cycle, but I am starting to question if they will actually become options this year.

Hardbody said:
Yeah, and Touro has a campus in harlem, but that doesn't mean they are going to open up shop for the fall 2007. Don't get me wrong, I would love to see both of these schools become options for this years cycle, but I am starting to question if they will actually become options this year.

Bummer. I was thinking I might actually have a shot there :D

chihueagle said:
Bummer. I was thinking I might actually have a shot there :D

You can add A.T. Still University in Mesa, AZ to the list too. I have heard a lot of bark, but where is the bite?
:smuggrin:

ScootDoc said:
You can add A.T. Still University in Mesa, AZ to the list too. I have heard a lot of bark, but where is the bite?
:smuggrin:

Actually there is one that is supposed to be opening up in Washington state, but that doesn't appear to be happening this year either. If all these schools open next year, the 2008 applicants are gonna have it made!

Hardbody said:
Actually there is one that is supposed to be opening up in Washington state, but that doesn't appear to be happening this year either. If all these schools open next year, the 2008 applicants are gonna have it made!

SERIOUSLY....THEY'LL BE SELLING SPOTS TO PROSPECTIVE STUDENTS!!!
COME AND GET 'EM....GET EM' WHILE THEY'RE HOT...MED SCHOOL ADMISSIONS...OK OK THAT WAS MAYBE A LITTLE MELODRAMATIC, BUT YOU ARE RIGHT cLASS OF 2012 YOU HAVE IT MADE!!!!!!!.......................ALMOST.

ScootDoc said:
SERIOUSLY....THEY'LL BE SELLING SPOTS TO PROSPECTIVE STUDENTS!!!
COME AND GET 'EM....GET EM' WHILE THEY'RE HOT...MED SCHOOL ADMISSIONS...OK OK THAT WAS MAYBE A LITTLE MELODRAMATIC, BUT YOU ARE RIGHT cLASS OF 2012 YOU HAVE IT MADE!!!!!!!.......................ALMOST.

while these schools may be easier to get into (note maybe, i dont know what their admissions standards will be like), i would suggest students applying to lean more towards established schools with good optis. by the time the students graduate the osteopathic residency process will be supersaturated for positions other than internships. and who knows what it will be like applying to allo spots in a pioneer class.

at least i know that my backup plan of reapplying next year if i dont get in this year will look pretty good. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Next year's class does have it made :thumbup:

Does anyone have any info on A.T new school in Arizona?

cee said:
at least i know that my backup plan of reapplying next year if i dont get in this year will look pretty good. :D

My thoughts exactly :D

Hardbody said:
the 2008 applicants are gonna have it made!

Maybe on the front end. Come time for residency, they are gonna be sitting with their thumbs up their asses for lack of residency openings.

ATSU http://www.atsu.edu/

and click on the ARIZONA SCHOOL OF HEALTH SCIENCES

so at least Arizona branch of Still University is established and students form KCOM have been going there got Years 3 and 4. so Now I really hope they add years 1 and 2 there as well.

One other potential problem w/ these new schools...To be placed in a residency of any type, you WILL see..."Must be a graduate from an school accredited by ACGME or (whatever the AOA version is)." If for some reason this does not happen in your four years there....what then?

Krazykritter said:
One other potential problem w/ these new schools...To be placed in a residency of any type, you WILL see..."Must be a graduate from an school accredited by ACGME or (whatever the AOA version is)." If for some reason this does not happen in your four years there....what then?
That is a big concern - do you know if any of the newer osteopathic schools (Touro, etc.) had any problems with that when they first opened?
Wouldn't the school have to really mess up to not get accredited? The dean of the school at LMU is on the board of the AOA, do you think that helps in the accreditation process?

They're having some kind of open house/info session on 9/23. The email said that construction is 7 days ahead of schedule and they are still shooting for a 2007 start.......although I guess it is all technically still up in the air.

My thought on it, and perhaps this is naive, is that they must be fairly confident in the accreditation process to have already started construction???

exigente chica said:
Next year's class does have it made :thumbup:

Does anyone have any info on A.T new school in Arizona?

According to the last update we received from admissions: The AZ campus is set for an accreditation tour later this month or early september by the AOA. They hope to start interviewing applicants for a seat in the class of 2011 by December. This is just prelim info though so take it with a grain of salt.

chicagoml said:
They're having some kind of open house/info session on 9/23. The email said that construction is 7 days ahead of schedule and they are still shooting for a 2007 start.......although I guess it is all technically still up in the air.

My thought on it, and perhaps this is naive, is that they must be fairly confident in the accreditation process to have already started construction???

LMU and AT Still were the two schools that recieved preliminary accredidation. LMU will need to graduate a class to get full accreddidation while AT Still will have it by the end of their first year because it is a branch campus.

There are alot of threads on this subject

Thanks Jonny G...I forgot to add that part.

Also, there can be reasons why schools would lose their accredidation such as Rosalind Franklin (Illinois) did a few years ago. From what I understood, it had to do mostly with the administration & not the school itself. However, knowing about that was one of the reasons I did not go there.

My only hope is that LMU maintains the higher standards of admission that the established schools are currently doing.