LOA Excuse

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnnyArmani

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am filling out a Leave of Absence (LOA) form for my medical school in order to study for the USMLE Step 2 CK & CS. The form states that there is an "explanation required for consideration". I am not sure if programs I will apply to for residency will look at this form so I'd like to get ideas on what exactly to write in this field. I would appreciate any responses that you all might have to offer. Cheers!

Members don't see this ad.

I am filling out a Leave of Absence (LOA) form for my medical school in order to study for the USMLE Step 2 CK & CS. The form states that there is an "explanation required for consideration". I am not sure if programs I will apply to for residency will look at this form so I'd like to get ideas on what exactly to write in this field. I would appreciate any responses that you all might have to offer. Cheers!

It's a pretty simple question. Why are you taking an LOA? I am sure most students in your school don't take an LOA to study for Step 2 and are able complete it within the time prescribed by the school. Why are you not able to do so? That would be what you would write.

Thanks for your reply xxfan624. Actually, most people at my school do take an LOA to study for Step 2. There is no allotted time that the school grants for Step 2. If residency program directors are going to see this LOA form, what would be a reasonable excuse to ask for two months to study for the exam?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your reply xxfan624. Actually, most people at my school do take an LOA to study for Step 2. There is no allotted time that the school grants for Step 2. If residency program directors are going to see this LOA form, what would be a reasonable excuse to ask for two months to study for the exam?

Just FYI probably zero US MD/DO schools give dedicated study time for step 2. You basically have an entire year to prepare for the test including rotations as a MS3. If most people at your school need to take a LOA for step 2 (arguably the easiest test) then your school is doing you an amazing disservice. Yes, the LOA could come up in an interview and you would just have to be honest. I personally wouldn't want to put that on my residency application as it could close some doors.

Reactions: 1 users

Wtf? I've never heard of this. Why would you sacrifice any entire year for step 2?

Rekt, the post said two months, rather than an entire year. I hope this helps clarify any confusion you might have.

Fourth year typically has weeks of flexible "vacation" time built into the schedule. Can't you use some of this time to study, rather than taking a formal leave of absence?

Reactions: 1 users

Not having completed third year would be a reason to need two months to study for step 2. Are you attending a US MD school? I feel like I'm missing something here... :thinking:

There's something that OP is not telling us. Is this a Caribbean school? You shouldn't be taking a LOA for step 2. It would be a red flag on your application.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user