loan repayment?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soxman

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is common for IM but are there jobs which offer to pay off student loans for new anesthesiology grads?

Members don't see this ad.

Not anymore.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
At the very least, seriously look into consolidating your loans with DR Bank or one of the other options out there. I was able to cut my interest rate essentially in half which SIGNIFICANTLY reduced my monthly payment. Keep in mind that a job that offers any kind of loan repayment (aside from the .mil) is going to count that as taxable income so it's not really any different from just getting paid the higher salary and using that to pay down your loans.

At the very least, seriously look into consolidating your loans with DR Bank or one of the other options out there. I was able to cut my interest rate essentially in half which SIGNIFICANTLY reduced my monthly payment. Keep in mind that a job that offers any kind of loan repayment (aside from the .mil) is going to count that as taxable income so it's not really any different from just getting paid the higher salary and using that to pay down your loans.

did you do the variable interest or fixed?

I went variable. After talking to a number of people involved in the lending industry, I came to the conclusion that interest rates aren't likely to climb too much in the near future. If/when rates start to climb significantly, I'll look into various refi options/a HELOC etc., but for me right now saving the extra money was worth the little bit of risk.

Reactions: 1 user

Did you choose Dr Bank over any other loan programs? Any issues with dealing with Dr Bank?

DR bank was one of only 2 options I could find when I consolidated. The other option would only lend to grads of certain schools and my med school wasn't on that list. No problems dealing with them. They were initially hard to get a hold of but once I got the process started it all went pretty smoothly. Only hiccup was getting Sallie Mae to distribute the funds correctly to pay off all my separate loans but no issues on the DR Bank side. The automatic fund transfers have been smooth with no surprises so far.

what about if you are a resident. Would consolidating with DrBank be a bad idea? Does PSLF work only with federal loans?