LOANS::: MEFA.com vs Salliemae.com

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vietricester

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which is better? After exploring all the options, i believe MEFA is the one of the better ones out there. They offer 7-7.5% apr ... which is much better than 8% on the signature loan programs. Not only that, you probably know that the interest is capitalized if u dont pay off anything while in school and a slight percentage diffference (.5%) from Sallie Mae to MEFA can make an AMAZING difference. RIGHT?

Members don't see this ad.

You also need to consider what interest rate reductions they offer while you are in repayment. Are those just the rates you got off their website, or what you've qualified for?

I would not go with Sallie Mae unless I had no other options(and even then it would be a difficult decision). Made the mistake for one year's worth of loans. Their customer service is anything but; and even my financial aid department mentioned that they've heard of alot of issues with Sallie Mae.
Not sure about signature loans per se, but northstar.org offers some really good repayment deals with the regular stafford loans.

Members don't see this ad :)
nikkai said:
Check this out.

Hope the info helps. =)
I read the site, it seems like it was not what the OP was asking for. He/She were asking for new loans for future years of school, not cosolidation.

nikkai said:
Check this out.

Hope the info helps. =)
I read the site, it seems like it was not what the OP was asking for. He/She were asking for new loans for future years of school, not consolidation.