Lobectomy Fluid Management

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Starting Hct was like 45. Interestingly, kidneys were about the only thing not hit (at least not yet) sCr was relatively stable post op. The a-line was really the only 'invasive' monitor we had. Even with the open chest could you argue any value in PPV trend? Respiratory variables were pretty much unchanged throughout case but that is also something to discuss. We were using volume control TV roughly 300-350, RR 15, peep 7.

Members don't see this ad.

1. Fluid overload does not produce ARDS, but pulmonary edema, which should respond to diuretics. On the other hand, ARDS (from other causes) is worsened by hypervolemia; that's true. One could also argue that many liters of crystalloid are pro-inflammatory, but that number is much higher than 3.8. My guess is that this patient has a ton of postop inflammation at the surgical site. Best prevention? How about a much shorter procedure and less messing around with the lung?

2. You should have replaced some of the blood loss (once significant) with blood. Crystalloids (and even colloids) will leak into tissues, especially the dependent ones, including the lungs. I would have kept the fluids to less than 1.5-2L. But then you would have been accused of causing TRALI or TACO. When the surgeon is incompetent, just blame it on anesthesia. ;)

3. PPV induces ADH secretion, i.e. fluid retention. If the MAP is over 75, I wouldn't worry about low urine output or AKI. I would worry about poor peripheral perfusion due to too much pressor.

4. COPD, elderly, BMI 57, h/o delayed emergence, long surgery, big fluid shifts... WTH was wrong with your attending to even try to extubate her in the OR? She must have had as much sevo in her almost 100 kg of adipose tissue as the sevo reservoir on the anesthesia machine.

Obesity actually has little effect on emergence from a reservoir standpoint. I think the equilibration time for sevoflurane is something ridiculous like 26 hours before it actually makes a significant difference. Lung mechanics play a much larger role than lingering volatile.

I agree with everything else you said though, 8 hours and 1200cc of EBL in that patient was a recipe for disaster.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Lot of great points. Yes im a CA2. I started the case with one of our best ATTENDINGs. The length necessitated several attending changes by the end of the case.

This is the major criticism I have for this case. Why were there several attending changes for this big case in a sick patient? Did any of attendings really know how the case was going? It makes anesthesiologists look like shift working CRNAs with no accountability and ownership of the patient. "Shift is over. Gotta get home." Handing over a complicated case is not how to earn the respect of surgeons. It would never happen in our practice. Do you think different decisions would have been made if the attending who started the case finished the whole thing?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This is the major criticism I have for this case. Why were there several attending changes for this big case in a sick patient? Did any of attendings really know how the case was going? It makes anesthesiologists look like shift working CRNAs with no accountability and ownership of the patient. "Shift is over. Gotta get home." Handing over a complicated case is not how to earn the respect of surgeons. It would never happen in our practice. Do you think different decisions would have been made if the attending who started the case finished the whole thing?

My guess is case didn't start at 7am. Also patient isn't that sick...

Morbidly obese 67 yo F 5'2" 137kg with COPD and history of delayed emergence presents for right VATS upper lobectomy. Case goes for 8hrs induction to emergence (no conversion to thoracotomy). Difficult DLT placement takes 20 minutes of tweaking to sit right. Ultimately complicated by ~1200ml blood loss, lowest HCT was 36, hypotension, sluggish urine output and significant phenylephrine requirement (3x 250ml bags 80mcg/ml) running wide open pretty much throughout case

My guess is case didn't start at 7am. Also patient isn't that sick...

Sounds like a great case to hand off;) We generally don't hand off cases and I sure as hell wouldn't hand off this one. Maybe it's a cultural thing but I tell my patients I will take care of them and I do.

As a follow up, this case ultimately led to a fluid resuscitation protocol created jointly by our Thoracic anesthesia team and thoracic surgeons. Suspiciously no references were included.

It was the second case of the day and it did wind up going pretty late. I obviously haven't been doing this long enough to have an opinion on multiple handoffs (other than they clearly aren't good for the patient). At the same time, even I would feel bad if my ATTENDING's had to be stuck in house every night with our dingus surgeons that can't finish cases on time to save their (or the patients) lives.

As far as different decisions the first attending is the one I would want if I was going under. I think we wouldn't have messed around trying to extubated the patient. The last guy on had about a 20 minute snap shot of the case and was under a lot of pressure to try to get the tube out. Other than that I don't know what would have changed. Kinda blame myself for not communicating that effectively with my ATTENDING's of the ongoings of the case. Heading back for an elective thoracic rotation in July to redeem myself definitely learned a lot from this case and this thread.

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds like a great case to hand off;) We generally don't hand off cases and I sure as hell wouldn't hand off this one. Maybe it's a cultural thing but I tell my patients I will take care of them and I do.
That's because you probably work in a place where other people do that, too, or where you get compensated somehow (by leaving early on another day) if you stay later for a case, or some other incentive (you're a partner who doesn't work for $130/hour). In an academic environment where nobody gives a crap that you worked your butt off yesterday (or any other day), everybody tries not to work their butt off.

Unfortunately, most patients don't give a crap either about one staying late to take care of them, so it's really down to personal ethics. If they did, we would be swamped by referrals. They don't even remember (or care about) our names.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a follow up, this case ultimately led to a fluid resuscitation protocol created jointly by our Thoracic anesthesia team and thoracic surgeons. Suspiciously no references were included.

It was the second case of the day and it did wind up going pretty late. I obviously haven't been doing this long enough to have an opinion on multiple handoffs (other than they clearly aren't good for the patient). At the same time, even I would feel bad if my ATTENDING's had to be stuck in house every night with our dingus surgeons that can't finish cases on time to save their (or the patients) lives.

As far as different decisions the first attending is the one I would want if I was going under. I think we wouldn't have messed around trying to extubated the patient. The last guy on had about a 20 minute snap shot of the case and was under a lot of pressure to try to get the tube out. Other than that I don't know what would have changed. Kinda blame myself for not communicating that effectively with my ATTENDING's of the ongoings of the case. Heading back for an elective thoracic rotation in July to redeem myself definitely learned a lot from this case and this thread.

Thanks for confirming my point that it's bad patient care.

That's because you probably work in a place where other people do that, too, or where you get compensated somehow (by leaving early on another day) if you stay later for a case, or some other incentive (you're a partner who doesn't work for $130/hour). In an academic environment where nobody gives a crap that you worked your butt off yesterday (or any other day), everybody tries not to work their butt off.

Unfortunately, most patients don't give a crap either about one staying late to take care of them, so it's really down to personal ethics. If they did, we would be swamped by referrals. They don't even remember (or care about) our names.

Yes it's generally not done. Maybe a handful of times in a year someone will start a case like a long EP ablation at 4pm and hand it off to the night guy at 5pm. We don't hand off hearts/cranis/aortic cases/chest cases/big traumas period. We are 100% productivity based so if you stay late doing a case, you are paid for it.

Out of curiosity, what does the fluid protocol say?

Yeah. Handing off a thoracic case 20 minutes before extubation is world class bad patient care.

That's definitely a little extreme.
I've handed off some cases on the call team with only 1/2 hr or so to go, BUT they've all been stable and by the time the kids got extubated and to the unit and handed off, that 1/2 hour is more like an hour or more. Our group does tend to keep our complex cases as much as is reasonable and I've said "why don't you take a look at the bp/blood loss/whatever and call me later" when a couple of lounge lizards tried to dump a case on me.

--
Il Destriero

I actually had one fairly senior dude try to dump a case on me where there was a major surgical complication not long after I started there. I think my exact words were, "No f'ing way, man. Hell will have to freeze over before I put my name on that case." His fairly senior partner who was running the board tried to get me to take it as well, I told them that I'd be happy to take one of their rooms over if they were so hot to get their pal out. She declined. I wonder why. I never forgot that lesson and neither of them tried that garbage with me again. Almost a decade later and I'm still annoyed about that douchebaggery. Trust but verify.

--
Il Destriero

True i agree it's bad care to hand off that late, but on the flip side, if you decide to stay and finish the case you can majorly shoot yourself in the foot in other areas. Thereve been times where i decided to finish the case cause it's almost over and then end up being on PACU hold for 1-2 hrs.

I actually had one fairly senior dude try to dump a case on me where there was a major surgical complication not long after I started there. I think my exact words were, "No f'ing way, man. Hell will have to freeze over before I put my name on that case." His fairly senior partner who was running the board tried to get me to take it as well, I told them that I'd be happy to take one of their rooms over if they were so hot to get their pal out. She declined. I wonder why. I never forgot that lesson and neither of them tried that garbage with me again. Almost a decade later and I'm still annoyed about that douchebaggery. Trust but verify.

--
Il Destriero
You are a smart guy and you were able to figure out very early that many of the "senior" people in this business are the used car salesman type who would not hesitate to screw you at the first opportunity.
Many young anesthesiologists don't come out of residency prepared for this harsh reality.

Thank you to all. Very helpful for my learning. Surgeon didn't want to convert to open. His usual VATS are about 3hrs. Should have thought about replacing with blood. Probably could have communicated better. Very terse surgeon. Our exchange for the whole case was "geez that's a lot of blood" and "are you still on pressors". Went up to the unit on phenylephrine.
that's why this surgeon is at a training facility. S/he wouldn't be tolerated in a good PP setting.

CVP is a tool.
The tools that are useless are ones in the hands of people that don't know how to use them.

I think the one who relies heavily on CVP is the tool. ;)

Reactions: 1 users
1. Fluid overload does not produce ARDS, but pulmonary edema, which should respond to diuretics. On the other hand, ARDS (from other causes) is worsened by hypervolemia; that's true. One could also argue that many liters of crystalloid are pro-inflammatory, but that number is much higher than 3.8. My guess is that this patient has a ton of postop inflammation at the surgical site. Best prevention? How about a much shorter procedure and less messing around with the lung?

2. You should have replaced some of the blood loss (once significant) with blood. Crystalloids (and even colloids) will leak into tissues, especially the dependent ones, including the lungs. I would have kept the fluids to less than 1.5-2L. But then you would have been accused of causing TRALI or TACO. When the surgeon is incompetent, just blame it on anesthesia. ;)

3. PPV induces ADH secretion, i.e. fluid retention. If the MAP is over 75, I wouldn't worry about low urine output or AKI. I would worry about poor peripheral perfusion due to too much pressor.

4. COPD, elderly, BMI 57, h/o delayed emergence, long surgery, big fluid shifts... WTH was wrong with your attending to even try to extubate her in the OR? She must have had as much sevo in her almost 100 kg of adipose tissue as the sevo reservoir on the anesthesia machine.

Excellent post on all points

Seeking comments and advice from those of you much wiser and more experienced than than I am. (All of you)

Question about intraoperative fluid management in this theoretical case:

Nothing novel to add but just wanted to reiterate some points.

- Patient is a hot mess preop and then underwent a hot mess thoracic case. The operative lung has been beat to $h!t by the surgeons; the nonoperative lung has been beat to $h!t by 8 hours of positive pressure ventilation. Keep this pt intubated at the end.

- giving lots of crystalloid to thoracic patients is generally a no-no. Is 3800ml in a 137kg pt over 8 hours a ton? No. But it's 30/kg and I can easily argue that you should give zero crystalloid. This is a case where replacing blood loss with albumin and RBCs is going to be way better. All of the alveoli are leaky by the end of this case. If there was minimal/no blood loss, this is the kind of case where you should give less than a liter or keep your fluid balance minimially positive. Even a small dose of lasix will keep pee flowing and keep your I/Os matched in the face of the PPV- and surgical-stress-induced ADH release. Did you use any type of fluid responsiveness monitor? My guess is that it was never abnormally high -- which is usually the case -- which supports the idea of NOT giving fluid.

- I did the math and your phenylephrine gtt dose was roughly 125 mcg/min, or 1 mcg/kg/min, for 8 hours. I'm not saying there's anything inherently wrong with that; the pt is old and atherosclerotic and probably getting a full MAC of volatile anesthetic, and phenylephrine is a reasonable way to normalize BP in that situation without compromising organ perfusion. However. It's a dose on the higher end, indicating it wasn't really giving you the effect you wanted; you might have considered minidoses of vasopressin as an adjunct, calcium, or a different pressor (norepi).

Reactions: 3 users