Locum Rates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

otis86

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are average rates going now for locums Anesthesiologists? I know it depends on several factors like geographic region, years of experience. In the NE I’ve seen rates between 300-450. California and SE region mainly 275-300. Do certain locum agencies also low ball you?

Members don't see this ad.

What are average rates going now for locums Anesthesiologists? I know it depends on several factors like geographic region, years of experience. In the NE I’ve seen rates between 300-450. California and SE region mainly 275-300. Do certain locum agencies also low ball you?
Supply and demand.

Free market.

Nothing is average these days.

Some CRNAs are taking as little as $130-hr to $250/hr

Some docs are willing to take as little as $225/hr to as high as $500/hr.

The “bottom” “average” tends to be $300/hr for Docs are most places regardless of regions.

Also remember less locums needs in bigger cities after Labor Day as much docs come back from summer vacation

Reactions: 1 user
Every locums agent ever is going to low ball you. The more you make the less they make. And when they've made their last cent from you they will sell your information for cash.

I do a lot of locums. Least I've made is $250, most I've made is $375. I don't complain about the $250 gig much because it is extremely easy money doing easy cases on healthy patients with strong CRNAs. The place that paid me $375 would not get me back in those OR's for the same rate.

Locums agents are snakes. They make money on high volume. I've caught multiple in various lies. Recently I caught one try to sneak a decreased rate through a weekly contract. Surely it was just a clerical error on his part, considering I've worked weeks and weeks there and they pay rate has never changed and just gets copied forward to the new contract.

I'm still new but I've learned quickly that they need us a lot more than we need them. I've told someone I wouldn't touch their job for less than $350, I don't care that they only offered $265. I don't need this job. Later that night they sent me the new contract for $350 and a ****ty attitude.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Every locums agent ever is going to low ball you. The more you make the less they make. And when they've made their last cent from you they will sell your information for cash.

I do a lot of locums. Least I've made is $250, most I've made is $375. I don't complain about the $250 gig much because it is extremely easy money doing easy cases on healthy patients with strong CRNAs. The place that paid me $375 would not get me back in those OR's for the same rate.

Locums agents are snakes. They make money on high volume. I've caught multiple in various lies. Recently I caught one try to sneak a decreased rate through a weekly contract. Surely it was just a clerical error on his part, considering I've worked weeks and weeks there and they pay rate has never changed and just gets copied forward to the new contract.

I'm still new but I've learned quickly that they need us a lot more than we need them. I've told someone I wouldn't touch their job for less than $350, I don't care that they only offered $265. I don't need this job. Later that night they sent me the new contract for $350 and a ****ty attitude.
Agree with all this. Negotiate aggressively.

Reactions: 2 users
The most desperate places may be paying the locums company 450-500/hr nowadays, so if you’re only taking 300, they’re making half as much as you just by hiring you, so negotiate for the moon, they’re incredibly desperate nowadays. I wouldn’t take anything with a 2 or 3 in front of it.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
The most desperate places may be paying the locums company 450-500/hr nowadays, so if you’re only taking 300, they’re making half as much as you just by hiring you, so negotiate for the moon, they’re incredibly desperate nowadays. I wouldn’t take anything with a 2 or 3 in front of it.
Yes.. And this is true for..

EVERYONE

Negotiate peeps... No matter what your specialty.....

Reactions: 1 users
I also want to add, it is very much worthwhile to reach out to the head anesthesiologist and try to negotiate through them first. Some don't want to be bothered with it (I know I wouldn't). But twice now I've gone through a locums agency and then when I worked with the main anesthesiologist I learned that the hospital directly pays PRN docs more than the locums agency was paying me.

CA is higher than $275-300. Probably $325-400 right now

It depends on the hospital contract with the locums company. Our particular facility has an exclusive contract with one locums company. It’s a set rate for all docs

Now what the locums company share they get is just an estimate. But locums doc wanted $50/more per hour and locums company just tries add the hourly wage increase to the company.

On the other hand. I’m doing a locums side gig with dy staffing 100% wholly own subsidiary of team health. Like envoy with Envison.

Team health owns the locums contract with a team health run anesthesia contract with the hospital. Sure. I think the hospital is paying team health locums docs out of hospitals pockets and not team health via dy staffing. The accounting can get very weird once you get to this level of integration with team health/dy staffing.

Folks, just know that the locums companies aim for a 50% markup ie 2x your pay and work your way back.

The better you negotiate, the less they make. If you get them to 10-15% markup, you have beaten the car dealer and they won't like you.

But hey, you're in it to win it so.. be firm, be nice, and remember the most powerful word in the English language: .. NO !

Folks, just know that the locums companies aim for a 50% markup ie 2x your pay and work your way back.

The better you negotiate, the less they make. If you get them to 10-15% markup, you have beaten the car dealer and they won't like you.

But hey, you're in it to win it so.. be firm, be nice, and remember the most powerful word in the English language: .. NO !
It depends. My sister practice is truly private.

The hospital isn’t footing the locums bill. That where the rates get hazy. It’s easy demanding $400/hr thinking someone is footing the bill But when on it’s ur own money. And the payor mix is 35% commercial.

Try your own billing when 8 out of the 12 scheduled gi inpatients are Medicare and doing solo cases.

This is when a private group considers giving up their contract. Only so many guys willing to work 65-70 hours a week

Partners get older and calls become harder on the body.

Eventually the hospitals will figure how to control anesthesia salaries. But right now it’s a free for all. So get the money while you can.

I have a feeling they will make docs go hourly but without any guarantee hours like I know some docs hospital employed that way. Which means if it’s slow like beginning of the year. They will just send you home after 3
Hours just like they send crna’s home.

I also want to add, it is very much worthwhile to reach out to the head anesthesiologist and try to negotiate through them first. Some don't want to be bothered with it (I know I wouldn't). But twice now I've gone through a locums agency and then when I worked with the main anesthesiologist I learned that the hospital directly pays PRN docs more than the locums agency was paying me.
Won’t you then have to pay for your own malpractice if you don’t go through locums company? Which might offset the additional pay?

Won’t you then have to pay for your own malpractice if you don’t go through locums company? Which might offset the additional pay?
Every hospital I've worked with covered malpractice for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Every hospital I've worked with covered malpractice for me.
One hospital in my area trying to pay $250/hr if u don’t carry malpractice

$350-hr if u carry your own malpractice

Me neither. 4 hundy or The Kid ain't even tying his shoes.

Where are you seeing 450-500/hr? I've never come across a rate this high for generalist and would be interested in learning more

I wish all anesthesiologists were as business oriented and financially literate as some of the docs I’ve seen on SDN. I think as a majority too many doctors are willing to settle rather than realize they are the prized possession and have the upper hand. It’s simple economics. There is a high demand for anesthesiologists and a low supply, so go back and forth on negotiations. Don’t ever take the first number thrown out. If we want to see salaries increase then it’s up to us to set the bar higher.

Reactions: 5 users
You got to be willing to go where others won't. IL, NY, MA, CA, etc.
This is the way.

#

plane flying GIF

I dont think anyones going to be posting those jobs.
Where are you seeing 450-500/hr? I've never come across a rate this high for generalist and would be interested in learning more
They exists. There are pockets of places but it’s all supply and demand and your availability

If you are only sporadically available for a weekend here or there. You may not get that rate

If you are full time locums available say for a set amount of time on a regular basis. Places will pay you the higher rate because you are available consistently.

That’s why rates vary. You can’t have your cake (full time gig) and high locums rate on ur off day’s regularly unless they already know u
Some places in
Those states are highly desirable. I don’t know what you are talking about.

It’s the boonies that aren’t paying well.

DC is paying 350 a hr. That’s what the recruiter is offering. I’m sure if that’s what they’re starting their offer at then one could negotiate up to 400

They exists. There are pockets of places but it’s all supply and demand and your availability

If you are only sporadically available for a weekend here or there. You may not get that rate

If you are full time locums available say for a set amount of time on a regular basis. Places will pay you the higher rate because you are available consistently.

That’s why rates vary. You can’t have your cake (full time gig) and high locums rate on ur off day’s regularly unless they already know u

Some places in

Im saying no-one is posting those jobs as in no one is posting it and letting those opportunities slip through their fingers. I know they exist. I just finished a locums assignment myself for that much.

Doesn’t “directly” have anything to do with anesthesia, but so you know, UPS drivers make $170k a year, these days….

Just a small point but they’ll be at $170k in 5 years. If only we could join the International Brotherhood of Teamsters.

Doesn’t “directly” have anything to do with anesthesia, but so you know, UPS drivers make $170k a year, these days….

Our consumption economy increasingly relies on deliveries and delivery drivers. They are in high demand.

Our consumption economy increasingly relies on deliveries and delivery drivers. They are in high demand.

As are pilots too it seems. The unions at the major airlines have negotiated some truly remarkable pay increases and they can now make over $400/hour.

• Wow
Some places in

Desirable for whom? I wonder why I see so many NY license plates in FL and other southern states. Something, something about taxes, crime, cost of living, etc. etc. Those states I listed need to pay more to attract talent. I am not giving them a discount so those blue states can rape me on taxes.

• Haha
Desirable for whom? I wonder why I see so many NY license plates in FL and other southern states. Something, something about taxes, crime, cost of living, etc. etc. Those states I listed need to pay more to attract talent. I am not giving them a discount so those blue states can rape me on taxes.
You make your money up north. Plenty of real jobs for non healthcare people paying very well.

People live in this bubble only thinking of themselves. I have friends from all walks of life with different professions. There is plenty of money up north with vast economies compared to Florida. So up north is where people make their business and. Money. Than they move down to flordia to settle down wind down.

What’s the projection on the locums market? I’m getting blown up with recruiters from OR, WA, ID in addition to the usual FL/ fly over states

I’ve definitely noticed more of my colleagues going full time locums. Like any economic model high prices attract competitors. Wondering if it will put downward pressure on hourly rates or if the demand for anesthesia services is truly that insatiable.

Last edited:
I’ve definitely noticed more of my colleagues going full time locums. Like any economic model high prices attract competitors. Wondering if it will put downward pressure on hourly rates or if the demand for anesthesia services is truly that insatiable.
I see it doing the opposite. If locums are drawing away all the attendings then hospitals will have to increase salaries in order to retain full time anesthesiologists.

I see it doing the opposite. If locums are drawing away all the attendings then hospitals will have to increase salaries in order to retain full time anesthesiologists.
Ah I see you must not have your MBA. You see when supply (of anesthesiologists) is low, then pay must be low because we have to use less services, therefore, less money coming in. And then when supply is high, the pay must be low, because we can pick and choose whoever we want to work. Ipso facto, you have to come work for us, we don't give any raises and partner is a maybe as long as you buy enough stock.

• Haha
Ah I see you must not have your MBA. You see when supply (of anesthesiologists) is low, then pay must be low because we have to use less services, therefore, less money coming in. And then when supply is high, the pay must be low, because we can pick and choose whoever we want to work. Ipso facto, you have to come work for us, we don't give any raises and partner is a maybe as long as you buy enough stock.

I see you subscribe to the mantra
Pay them less = we win more.

I see you subscribe to the mantra
Pay them less = we win more.
Step 1: go locums
Step 2: ???
Step 3: Profit