Locum tenens

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WugMD1031

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all-

I'm graduating off cycle secondary to transferring into FM from another specialty, in November, and thinking that locum might be the way to go for awhile.

Can any of you lovely folks out there share with me your experiences, good or bad, and most importantly who you went through? I really can't find a ton of people who did locums and I want some advice on which companies to avoid/which companies are better, etc.

Thanks so much in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all-

I'm graduating off cycle secondary to transferring into FM from another specialty, in November, and thinking that locum might be the way to go for awhile.

Can any of you lovely folks out there share with me your experiences, good or bad, and most importantly who you went through? I really can't find a ton of people who did locums and I want some advice on which companies to avoid/which companies are better, etc.

Thanks so much in advance!

I have been doing locums for the last 3 years. I LOVE it because it's always new and exciting. I also love it because if there is ANY problem, I don't have to deal with it and if the site makes my life miserable - I can leave that day.

The companies I have used are delta (the best), onyxmd, martinfletcher(iffy)
I have also searched on locumtenens.com you can set up a profile and they send you alerts of what job are available.

To do locums you have to have a license in each state you want to go to unless you are willing to be on a military installation or Indian reservation that takes any license.

If you limit yourself to one state then you may find it difficult to be employed during the times you want.

You get paid more per hour if you do more. There are different jobs the require IP/OP/ER/ and call coverage. Some rural ER's want you to have ATLS. Some places just need urgent care.

If you do locums then you will need to purchase your own health insurance but they cover your hourly pay, travel, rental car, and malpractice.

Feel free to PM me with any more questions.