LOCUMS anesthesia agencies, the good, the bad and the ugly

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SJellyModo

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
As you know locums has exploded for anesthesiologists which is great, but the bad is anytime there is money, someone is always trying to make money off of you. Just want to place a quorum as to good and bad agencies and also a little info. I learned about "name clear" which is basically an agency placing ownership on your npi as working with them exclusively for a 1-2 year period. Watch out some will do it with just an inquiry, i.e. if you provide your cv in exchange for more information without your consent or an agreed upon terms of contract and even if you decline presentation. Thinking about being your own locums agency, how much does each agency make off your rate?
With any communication with any agency, state something like this: communication is for informational purposes only and not a consent for name clear or obligation to work for agency and any confidential information provided is proprietary to provider and not to be released or stored without provider explicit consent, watermark cv with “sample, for information only” (send as printed pdf, some agencies will alter your cv if word doc or editable pdf as advised from prior locums agent)
AYA - very straight forward as to client's max rate, formal consent to proceed with name clear and sign off on presentation, pays as promised, good credentialing department, good if you cancel assignment w/in time frame, will pay referral bonus promptly with no haggle
AMN Staffcare - will name clear you on inquiry, do not provide resume as they will use it to say that you have agreed to work for them, will not honor contracted pay rate if less profitable for them and will not hesitate to pay you less after you have worked, bad reputation per hospital administrator and peers for aggressive tactics
CURATIVE - per colleague may back peddle on pay rate/OT in order to get the bid and let you know later, is hiring agency for Doximity
LOCUM TENENS - notorious reputation in industry per other agencies and hospital administrator, steer clear
INTEGRITY LOCUMS - subsidiary of mega agency, name clears you for all associated agencies
KPG - good experience by couple repeat providers

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I was just about to write a post on this. Beware, been dealing with headaches from these brokers today. I had my name cleared by a smaller mom and pop locums agency not knowing that it makes me captive to them. It has effectively blocked me from working with bigger names that have a contract with his agency but his agency does not have access to all of the jobs. He refuses to release me either. Wish I had known this before.

Anesthesia is so much easier than dealing with people.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Integrity locums - receives contracts from larger locums groups to assist filling positions. Agreeing to be presented to a hospital or job makes you captive to them for 1 or 2 years and prevents you from contacting larger locums groups (or larger group agents will not assist you during the 1 or 2 year non compete phase). I'm not sure how this could have been avoided as I didn't know that this agent was essentially a subcontractor as this was not disclosed. I didn't even sign anything but mega locums agency had this in their system, it's just an agreement that mom and pop locums has with mega locums agency.

May be worth asking if being presented by agent will prevent you from working with any other locums company from the start.

Last edited:
As you know locums has exploded for anesthesiologists which is great, but the bad is anytime there is money, someone is always trying to make money off of you. Just want to place a quorum as to good and bad agencies and also a little info. I learned about "name clear" which is basically an agency placing ownership on your npi as working with them exclusively for a 1-2 year period. Watch out some will do it with just an inquiry, i.e. if you provide your cv in exchange for more information without your consent or an agreed upon terms of contract and even if you decline presentation. Thinking about being your own locums agency, how much does each agency make off your rate?
With any communication with any agency, state something like this: communication is for informational purposes only and not a consent for name clear and any confidential information provided is proprietary to provider and not to be released or stored with agency without provider consent
AYA - very straight forward as to client's max rate, formal consent to proceed with name clear and sign off on presentation, pays as promised, good credentialing department, good if you cancel assignment w/in time frame, will pay referral bonus promptly with no haggle
AMN Staffcare - will name clear you on inquiry, do not provide resume as they will use it to say that you are exclusively working for them, will not honor contracted pay rate if not profitable for them and will not hesitate to pay you less
For Staffcare, Exclusivity for the contracted hospital or exclusivity for next 1-2 years? Does it tell you in advance?

So these are not legally binding agreements that are preventing you from working with other agencies, but rather agreements between agencies not to offer you work? My understanding was that once one agency presented you to a hospital, you could not be re-presented to that same hospital by another agency for a set period of time (the equivalent of a non-compete). However, it does not prevent you from contacting a different agency to present you at a different hospital. Am I misunderstanding?

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
To my knowledge, name clearing is not a thing as you are describing. Just because I work with one locums agency, doesnt mean i am bound to them. However, I cannot use another locums agency when I am re-applying or looking to extend my time at a particular job or site. If I work in WA as locums, they dont own my NPI and prevent me from working in another city or state. They can however prevent me from working at that locums assignment with another agency.

What gravel rider said is correct. Mom and pop locums shop has an agreement with mega locums, which they honor, to not allow me to work at any of their contracted assignments unless mom and pop releases me and gives permission. Whatever I’m not sweating too much it’s for a year and there are plenty of other companies. I find the shadiness irritating though

Reactions: 1 user
What gravel rider said is correct. Mom and pop locums shop has an agreement with mega locums, which they honor, to not allow me to work at any of their contracted assignments unless mom and pop releases me and gives permission. Whatever I’m not sweating too much it’s for a year and there are plenty of other companies. I find the shadiness irritating though

Something doesn’t add up here. Wouldn’t the “mom and pop” agency have less available assignments than the “mega” locums? Why would the “mega” locums agree to not give you assignments? Is it out of kindness towards the “mom and pop” agency?

After speaking with a few locums agents some will only register your npi for that assignment facility, some the whole health system that a facility may be part of, and some with their agency and any locums assignment.
Many do not inform you that they are name clearing you or the terms or extent of name clear. You typically only find out after when applying for another position.
Locums seems a shady business, unless dealing with a reputable agency. My advice is find an agent you trust and apply for position using them as your exclusive agent, rather than other way around, where you are their exclusive client.

For Staffcare, Exclusivity for the contracted hospital or exclusivity for next 1-2 years? Does it tell you in advance?

AMN staffcare continues to deny they have name cleared me and therefore will not provide any details as I was not informed nor gave consent. But another agency checked and I am registered to them, even though I asked to not be presented by them after I heard about their bad reputation.
So after a few emails and phone calls stating presentation refused, no consent, remove all association with AMN, AMN finally removed the hold on name. Super terrible experience, avoid, avoid, avoid!

Last edited:
Cut out the middle man and contact the hospital yourself. DEMAND a rate of $300/hr or more.

Thanks I just did and they also said AMN as well as Locum Tenens had a bad reputation for aggressive tactics. Even though I contacted the hospital directly, they still considered it just an inquiry and I could still use a locums agency. They also recommended watermarking resume with “sample, for information only” so it could not be “owned” or presented by an agency. Pretty messed up. They will be getting back to me if they can do a better rate than locums as being a direct hire pays less.
Also “name clear” appears to be an interagency thing. The hospital found no such restrictions on my name and could still hire me directly.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks I just did and they also said AMN as well as Locum Tenens had a bad reputation for aggressive tactics. Even though I contacted the hospital directly, they still considered it just an inquiry and I could still use a locums agency. They also recommended watermarking resume with “sample, for information only” so it could not be “owned” or presented by an agency. Pretty messed up. They will be getting back to me if they can do a better rate than locums as being a direct hire pays less.
Also “name clear” appears to be an interagency thing. The hospital found no such restrictions on my name and could still hire me directly.
this is really helpful, any other anecdotes or advice or warnings regarding unscrupulous practices by locums agencies would be appreciated.

After speaking with a few locums agents some will only register your npi for that assignment facility, some the whole health system that a facility may be part of, and some with their agency and any locums assignment.
Many do not inform you that they are name clearing you or the terms or extent of name clear. You typically only find out after when applying for another position.
Locums seems a shady business, unless dealing with a reputable agency. My advice is find an agent you trust and apply for position using them as your exclusive agent, rather than other way around, where you are their exclusive client.
This is what Integrity Locums did. If anyone from this agency contacts you block the contact.

I put the hospital name in the resume. Hopefully that will prevent the agencies to present it to somewhere else.

How exactly do you guys directly contact a hospital for direct hire? I can easily narrow down the hospital that I see other agencies advertising for but finding the department chair/secretary contact info has been difficult. Do you just contact HR or the physician recruiter? I've also found it may be better going through locums for these bigger management companies like Napa or Envision.

Usually the hospital is simultaneously recruiting via gasworks and contact info. can be found there. Just say it is for inquiry. Napa is pretty horrible and aggressive and probably want to avoid them anyway. Envision is folding into Synergyhp, whom i contacted and they kept reassuring me that this conversation is regarded as inquiry only as I mentioned the bad experience with amn.

This is what Integrity Locums did. If anyone from this agency contacts you block the contact.
Hi, I may be able to get you out of your integrity entanglement. This is a recent correspondence I sent to them after they contacted me. I will let you know their response.
"Please remove my contact info and provider information from integrity locums as I am withdrawing any association or release of private information to integrity effective immediately. If you choose not to cease or desist, please provide evidence for the release of authorization of proprietary and confidential information.
It has come to my attention that colleague(s) of mine were name cleared inappropriately, and do not want any association with integrity locums as it is regarded among physicians and industry as an agency of ill repute."

This is why I carry my own malpractice abd negotiate directly with the groups/ division chair
M

I have worked a jobs with Weatherby, CompHealth, and with a small company owned by a doc who has jobs at some hospitals in the Midwest, I met him on my Weatherby job.

CompHealth -- I have issues with. They over promised, didn't listen to my concerns when I called them and said things with a license weren't moving, and literally told me I was not their priority. Other things happened too that jeopardized another job. I would quit them if I could, but one of my favorite recurring jobs is with them, so I can't, unless I want to buy myself out.

Weatherby -- I asked for a $25/h increase in pay after my first contract at a job when the hospital asked me to stay (it would've brought me up to the market rate). They couldn't negotiate it. They negotiated something with that rate and fewer hours, so a decrease in pay.

LocumTenens -- I had a job lined up, but I canceled 2 months before the job was supposed to start (I had 30 days). Their team wasn't addressing concerns, the hospitals were contacting me directly for information that they had with "URGENT" emails multiple times a day. The hospitals didn't know I was a locums, they thought I worked for the PE group. Then when I canceled, my rep sent me a nasty email. One of the original things that annoyed me about LT is that each region of the country has a different rep, so you have to explain your preference to a different person if you want to go to a new area.

Hayes -- I interviewed for a job, they said they wanted me. I emailed the rep with questions for clarification after the interview, no contact for a month. I've previously to the rep what my requirements for a job are. He sends me all the jobs they have whether or not they meet my criteria. So I send back a lot of "No" responses. The rep also pushes back when I say no to some jobs in a state where I currently work because why wouldn't I want to go anywhere in a state? He's really annoying and makes up for it by not listening well.

Aya -- My Aya rep is really nice; I've met him in person. I thought I had a job set up, and the hospital changed what I was going to do at the last minute, so I didn't go. I didn't have a contract because the hospital hadn't signed one yet, so I couldn't get paid for canceling within 30 days.

Small company in the Midwest -- has been able to use me whenever one of the big companies has screwed up my schedule. I have a lot of flexibility with that group, and I have to stay out of that state for half the year, so I don't become a resident, so I have the CompHealth job to help with that in a state without income tax, and I live in a low tax state. I don't have to have a long contract with either group, and I like it that way.

I will say that none name cleared without my permission. Vista had an issue getting my name cleared with any Envision location, and they insinuated that I had worked for them or had my name cleared at an Envision location before and didn't tell them. I hadn't. They couldn't figure out why, but I think it was because I was on their email list from applying to a Banner hospital in 2015 before Envision had anything to do with Banner because the recruiters started emailing me trying to recruit me for a job, and they wouldn't remove me from their emails when I asked. Envision wouldn't tell Vista or me why my name wouldn't clear. Name clear a completely obnoxious system. (Side note: I wasn't sad to see Envision fail, I know something else will take its place.)

Reactions: 3 users
I have worked a jobs with Weatherby, CompHealth, and with a small company owned by a doc who has jobs at some hospitals in the Midwest, I met him on my Weatherby job.

CompHealth -- I have issues with. They over promised, didn't listen to my concerns when I called them and said things with a license weren't moving, and literally told me I was not their priority. Other things happened too that jeopardized another job. I would quit them if I could, but one of my favorite recurring jobs is with them, so I can't, unless I want to buy myself out.

Weatherby -- I asked for a $25/h increase in pay after my first contract at a job when the hospital asked me to stay (it would've brought me up to the market rate). They couldn't negotiate it. They negotiated something with that rate and fewer hours, so a decrease in pay.

LocumTenens -- I had a job lined up, but I canceled 2 months before the job was supposed to start (I had 30 days). Their team wasn't addressing concerns, the hospitals were contacting me directly for information that they had with "URGENT" emails multiple times a day. The hospitals didn't know I was a locums, they thought I worked for the PE group. Then when I canceled, my rep sent me a nasty email. One of the original things that annoyed me about LT is that each region of the country has a different rep, so you have to explain your preference to a different person if you want to go to a new area.

Hayes -- I interviewed for a job, they said they wanted me. I emailed the rep with questions for clarification after the interview, no contact for a month. I've previously to the rep what my requirements for a job are. He sends me all the jobs they have whether or not they meet my criteria. So I send back a lot of "No" responses. The rep also pushes back when I say no to some jobs in a state where I currently work because why wouldn't I want to go anywhere in a state? He's really annoying and makes up for it by not listening well.

Aya -- My Aya rep is really nice; I've met him in person. I thought I had a job set up, and the hospital changed what I was going to do at the last minute, so I didn't go. I didn't have a contract because the hospital hadn't signed one yet, so I couldn't get paid for canceling within 30 days.

Small company in the Midwest -- has been able to use me whenever one of the big companies has screwed up my schedule. I have a lot of flexibility with that group, and I have to stay out of that state for half the year, so I don't become a resident, so I have the CompHealth job to help with that in a state without income tax, and I live in a low tax state. I don't have to have a long contract with either group, and I like it that way.

I will say that none name cleared without my permission. Vista had an issue getting my name cleared with any Envision location, and they insinuated that I had worked for them or had my name cleared at an Envision location before and didn't tell them. I hadn't. They couldn't figure out why, but I think it was because I was on their email list from applying to a Banner hospital in 2015 before Envision had anything to do with Banner because the recruiters started emailing me trying to recruit me for a job, and they wouldn't remove me from their emails when I asked. Envision wouldn't tell Vista or me why my name wouldn't clear. Name clear a completely obnoxious system. (Side note: I wasn't sad to see Envision fail, I know something else will take its place.)

The urgent thing kills me. It's never urgent and is always a useless piece of paperwork that no one should care about

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
The urgent thing kills me. It's never urgent and is always a useless piece of paperwork that no one should care about

That’s one pet peeve that I have with any of these agencies. I always end up doing the correspondence with the hospital myself. What the hell are you really doing for me, other than “presenting” me to the job?!

Quest - they are some sister company of a bigger agency. My first agent was sooooo bad. Her supervisor wasn’t any better.

Radar - they’re okay. Some agents are better than the other.

Avoid MPLT. Very vague terms in the contract that they will use to their advantage. They pay you quickly, but my pay has been incorrect 1/3 of the time. They simply don't seem to have their **** together. I did a week assignement at a location in December and in march they were still sending me paperwork to complete.

I used health carousel locums… they were quite good, decent pay rate, I got paid on time, turns out the anesthesia group did not pay the locums company so then I could not work for that anesthesia group anymore

• Wow
I used health carousel locums… they were quite good, decent pay rate, I got paid on time, turns out the anesthesia group did not pay the locums company so then I could not work for that anesthesia group anymore
LOL that was unexpected

Anyone have any experience with fusion health care staffing ?

Has anyone heard of "Howard-Sloan search"? They gave me a cold text. I sometimes work with Jackson and coker (who have been great to work with btw). They told me 290/hr for a job, which I laughed at. At the same time I get this cold text from Howard-Sloan that said 325!

Has anyone heard of "Howard-Sloan search"? They gave me a cold text. I sometimes work with Jackson and coker (who have been great to work with btw). They told me 290/hr for a job, which I laughed at. At the same time I get this cold text from Howard-Sloan that said 325!
I have worked with HS - they have been great to work with. Paperwork done really quick, paychecks accurate to the penny. Easy to get a hold of.

Has anyone done anything with directshifts? I signed up with them, but they require a ton of personal information before getting any details or talking to anyone - set off my scam alarm so I haven’t proceeded further.

Also, I think this is an isolated experience because I have heard only good things about aya, but my agent is a *****. He is non responsive. My contract stated 8 hr guarantee, but once I was ON THE JOB he called me and said it was a “misunderstanding” and that I needed to be available for 8 hrs but if they sent me home early my pay would be cut. I’m also not getting all of my promised OT pay… and this is after all the drama associated with credentialing.

Imagine if we were this bad at our jobs.

Last edited:
Has anyone done anything with directshifts? I signed up with them, but they require a ton of personal information before getting any details or talking to anyone - set off my scam alarm so I haven’t proceeded further.

Also, I think this is an isolated experience because I have heard only good things about aya, but my agent is a *****. He is non responsive. My contract stated 8 hr guarantee, but once I was ON THE JOB he called me and said it was a “misunderstanding” and that I needed to be available for 8 hrs but if they sent me home early my pay would be cut. I’m also not getting all of my promised OT pay… and this is after all the drama associated with credentialing.

Aya seems to have some of the lowest rates

Contract is 8hr guarantee. I'd hold them do it! Misunderstanding or not, if it's in writing how can they change it now? I don't think he's bad at his job. I think he's quite excellent at his job. He has probably tried to play that crap lots of times before.

This is not normal. 8 hours means 8 hours. OT means OT. Worst he has to honor a month before he (or you) terminates the contract.

I also has the impression that aya quotes a lower rate.

Anyone has experience with medicus?

This is not normal. 8 hours means 8 hours. OT means OT. Worst he has to honor a month before he (or you) terminates the contract.

Medicus is very solid. There is one of their reps I like a lot who is very responsive and transparent. Also had dinner with some of their anesthesia division leadership and they seem to have good relationships and contracts with their sites.

Avoid teamhealth. They are terrible (shady & aggressive from my experrience) all around and I have also heard this from peers.

Last edited:
im looking at a locums contract it says this:

WAIVER OF RIGHT TO JURY TRIAL. EACH PARTY WAIVES ALL RIGHTS TO ANY TRIAL BY JURY IN ALL LITIGATION RELATING TO OR ARISING OUT OF THIS AGREEMENT OR THE RELATIONSHIP OF THE PARTIES AND ANY SUCH TRIAL SHALL BE IN COURT BEFORE A JUDGE. PROVIDER ACKNOWLEDGES THAT THIS JURY TRIAL WAIVER APPLIES TO ANY CLAIM THAT IS BROUGHT AGAINST THE COMPANY OR ANY OF ITS AFFILIATES.

anyone have thoughts ?

Last edited:
Anyone have experience with echo locums?

Anyone have experience with echo locums?
They are owned by Sound. I cancelled working with them because I was so frustrated. The rep didn't listen to me; she didn't return calls or emails; I heard from Sound saying I was employed by them for months after I cancelled my contract.

They changed the nature of the job, start date, and a few other things on me, and when they wouldn't return my calls or emails for over a month I finally canceled.

Medicus sucks in my experience. Don't pay attention to detail.

Anybody out there use Odyssey? Do they only pay the individual or will they allow payments to your company EIN?

Anybody out there use Odyssey? Do they only pay the individual or will they allow payments to your company EIN?
Dont use Odyssey. They absolutely suck in my opinion. At least my recruiter sucks. And I am bound to her with NAPa now.

Since this seems so highly recruiter dependent (as opposed to company dependent). Maybe we move this to the private forum and share individual recruiter names?

Since this seems so highly recruiter dependent (as opposed to company dependent). Maybe we move this to the private forum and share individual recruiter names?
I don’t object to moving this to the private forum, I’m just wondering why we can’t name drop recruiters in the open forum. If you provide crappy service in most industries, word gets around and you deserve to lose business.

I don’t object to moving this to the private forum, I’m just wondering why we can’t name drop recruiters in the open forum. If you provide crappy service in most industries, word gets around and you deserve to lose business.
Send da names

I'll say a recruiter I'm happy with: David Delligatti at Aya. He's listened to me and been helpful. I had a job fall through with Aya because of the location, nothing he did.

Edit: from what I've been told, I have one of the best recruiters at comp health, but I've not been happy with comp health for multiple reasons including the recruiter. DM me if you want a name, but I try not to say stuff I'll regret later.