Well, that, and who the heck wants to work on the weekend? *gets on soapbox* Sometimes you can make the worst parts of the job (nights, weekends, holidays) some of the most highly compensated and it's still hard to get them covered. Why? Quality of life. We're in the age of "millenials". We want our nights off and our weekends free or at the very least "home call". I guarantee you there will be a day will it will be very hard to get a physician to spend the night in a hospital.People are will to take less money to have a better quality of life If the nurses want to claim they "can do anything an MD can do" well let them stay in house. *jumps off soapbox*
I agree. Here is what “my” take, with everything that’s going on.
There are fewer “partnership” tract jobs out there, especially in most bigger cities. There is no rainbow at end of x years; it’s not like at end of all these hours I put in, I will get a pot of gold. I start working for/with an AMC at 350, in 10 years, I will get what? 450 if I am lucky. I am just a cog, I am easily replaceable with a new grad. Sure I can acquire new skills and do more work, but I will never make stupid amount of money like the generation before me. However, the partners in these established practices who already sold and got their big payout is expecting me to work hard, take calls for peanuts, and throw a fit when I say no. Or they (old partner/AMC) sell everything as “equal” for call and/or compensation. I say, I haven’t seen one yet. Either the cases would be different, someone would manipulate the schedule or some kind of pay-for-call scheme going on.
Then there’s the quality of life aspect of this discussion. I’ve been guilt into work extra, I’ve seen people been called lazy. I’ve heard, you get pay to stay, why won’t you? Because I don’t want to!
To make this whole discussion even more messy, let’s bring CRNA into this discussion. They certainly get more “rights” than residents, sometimes (junior/occasionally senior) attendings. “My contract says I am only working 7-3.” “Oh I haven’t had my morning breaks yet.” “I don’t take weekend calls.” “I worked all day, you have residents overnight, call them first.” WTF!
Because partnership and medicine as you know, no longer exist. Is it so hard to understand. We (physicians) allowed this to happen.
/big F ING RANT
#dropmike