Locums Market Temp Check

Started by Coffee PRN
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Places blow up every day It may be ascension. I dunno. That’s what I mean these locations are a dime a dozen

“Hello! This is Emily with AMN Healthcare. I am reaching out to ask if you are open to locums in Wisconsin. We just had 7 positions open up, 4 in Milwaukee! No call; $425/hr; WI license; Monday-Friday shifts 8s and 10s. Let me know if you are interested i would love to talk more!”

Milwaukee isn’t a bad city. Fly in fly out if u have a week or two to spare Figure 50 hours is easy $21k ish. No calls
Did people mention AMN is not good to work for?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Places blow up every day It may be ascension. I dunno. That’s what I mean these locations are a dime a dozen

“Hello! This is Emily with AMN Healthcare. I am reaching out to ask if you are open to locums in Wisconsin. We just had 7 positions open up, 4 in Milwaukee! No call; $425/hr; WI license; Monday-Friday shifts 8s and 10s. Let me know if you are interested i would love to talk more!”

Milwaukee isn’t a bad city. Fly in fly out if u have a week or two to spare Figure 50 hours is easy $21k ish. No calls
It is Ascension.

Wow, they increased their rates from what I was seeing/hearing.
 
imlc license worth it ?
Not anesthesia but rad:

It’s $700 to get the Letter of Qualification. After that, you can apply for any affiliated state license for the usual state license fee + $100. They are required to issue it within 5 business days.

I’ve gotten IMLC licenses in a couple hours after hitting submit. Definitely worth it to cut the line.
 
Not anesthesia but rad:

It’s $700 to get the Letter of Qualification. After that, you can apply for any affiliated state license for the usual state license fee + $100. They are required to issue it within 5 business days.

I’ve gotten IMLC licenses in a couple hours after hitting submit. Definitely worth it to cut the line.
Wow. I read it can be as little as a few days but some states still take a couple of months with the interstate license pact.

Florida just got approved in April 2024 but it’s not integrated yet.

I already have 4 other states licenses including California the big one. I had 7 just for expensive to keep maintaining the licenses
 
Wow. I read it can be as little as a few days but some states still take a couple of months with the interstate license pact.

Florida just got approved in April 2024 but it’s not integrated yet.

I already have 4 other states licenses including California the big one. I had 7 just for expensive to keep maintaining the licenses
Some states allow free inactive status. New York, PA etc. Wisconsin is super cheap. 70$?
 
Once you go inactive, what do you need to submit to make the license active again and how fast would it go back? I have some old ones I don’t anticipate needing anytime soon, but you never know…
New York is very simple and quick. Don't remember anything I need to submit. Maybe some online certificate (child abuse....). Don't know PA; I did not reactivate it.

I believe it is a bad idea for CA. You basically start from beginning again.
 
Low call burden is key in academics. New graduates can’t resist the allure of 1-2 calls per month at minimum. Their mindset is that they can work 5 days a week forever if there’s no call and high predictability.

The money is in taking advantage of unpredictability with low hit rates. Roll the dice a ton of times for a few dollars each knowing that the true hit rate (up all night, caught in a bad situation alone with no backup, or working post call when exhausted) is pretty low and tolerating that risk.

New grads like low risk. Low risk means low patient loads and low call burden with people you’ve already known in your home program. I love it because it takes people who would otherwise be hungry to work and silos them off in comfort.

Yeah she is coming from being on 1 overnight call pretty much every week from last year in residency. 1.5 mo in had 1 call 8a-6p on wknd day thus far. Gets out early the following mon and the friday before. Random admin days get thrown into the mix. Still some attendings saying how much more they are working now ( you should have seen it how good it was a few years ago) but for her its cush ish for the most part.
 
Yeah she is coming from being on 1 overnight call pretty much every week from last year in residency. 1.5 mo in had 1 call 8a-6p on wknd day thus far. Gets out early the following mon and the friday before. Random admin days get thrown into the mix. Still some attendings saying how much more they are working now ( you should have seen it how good it was a few years ago) but for her its cush ish for the most part.
Everything is relative. Anything to a new attending is better than being a resident.

But once the previous new residents who are in their first or second year at true academics find out about my lifestyle and pays. They are like wtf.

We need to start looking for better jobs
 
Everything is relative. Anything to a new attending is better than being a resident.

But once the previous new residents who are in their first or second year at true academics find out about my lifestyle and pays. They are like wtf.

We need to start looking for better jobs

Yes then they leave for higher waters. For the most part she is working 7-5 or 50 hours a week but will randomly get sent home anywhere from 10a-3p a few days a week.

1. Do you agree for a fresh grad 1 year at academics doing challenging complex cases isn't such a bad thing before going into the real world locums money train?
2. Fair to say 50 hours a week of locums is almost double w2 pay?
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
450/hr in Milwaukee is tempting. But it’s grown hard to leave my 400/hr doing easy cases at a familiar hospital. How long are your gigs lasting? Mine has gone on for a year+
 
Yes then they leave for higher waters. For the most part she is working 7-5 or 50 hours a week but will randomly get sent home anywhere from 10a-3p a few days a week.

1. Do you agree for a fresh grad 1 year at academics doing challenging complex cases isn't such a bad thing before going into the real world locums money train?
2. Fair to say 50 hours a week of locums is pushing almost 7 figs?
I think almost all new grads should be in some environment (not 1099 travel locums) for at least a year just to get their feet wet with some supportive mentorship available. Doesn’t necessary have to be university academics environment

50 hrs a week locums will push u to the 800s easily as locums assuming 8 plus weeks off

Working (10s) weeks at a time as locums will get old without a day off and weekend recovery is not enough but new grads have no clue since they are coming as residents work hours.

I know zero full time locums who work (5) 10s consistently. That’s gonna to lead to burnout quickly. They mix and match weeks like (4) 10s. (5/10s) or
450/hr in Milwaukee is tempting. But it’s grown hard to leave my 400/hr doing easy cases at a familiar hospital. How long are your gigs lasting? Mine has gone on for a year+
If you are comfortable at your location. My advice is to stay. It takes a couple of weeks to get use to new places

Milwaukee place isn’t as ghetto as downtown Indianapolis IU. Although I have cousins from Indiana.

Almost every locums place that implode is good for almost a year. (Or longer). Or it cycles. They get more staff for 12-18 months than become short staff again.
 
450/hr in Milwaukee is tempting. But it’s grown hard to leave my 400/hr doing easy cases at a familiar hospital. How long are your gigs lasting? Mine has gone on for a year+
One local site ended after about a year. Other travel site at tertiary medical center in undesirable location is ongoing for a year plus and will have need indefinitely. Other local gig has many locums that are pushing two years with no end in sight
 
Yes then they leave for higher waters. For the most part she is working 7-5 or 50 hours a week but will randomly get sent home anywhere from 10a-3p a few days a week.

1. Do you agree for a fresh grad 1 year at academics doing challenging complex cases isn't such a bad thing before going into the real world locums money train?
2. Fair to say 50 hours a week of locums is almost double w2 pay?
Not a bad thing in its own way. I did a year at my home institution between residency and fellowship to bide my time, knocked out boards, got a lot of good experience in a safe and known environment. Picked up a bunch of call and still made $400K. Will make double that in my current job with similar total hours but more in-house call and overall much less stress and no soul-sucking militant crnas.

I don't regret the year. Wouldn't have done it that way if I could have gotten into fellowship the first time around but there were certainly benefits to the whole process playing out the way it did.
 
Not a bad thing in its own way. I did a year at my home institution between residency and fellowship to bide my time, knocked out boards, got a lot of good experience in a safe and known environment. Picked up a bunch of call and still made $400K. Will make double that in my current job with similar total hours but more in-house call and overall much less stress and no soul-sucking militant crnas.

I don't regret the year. Wouldn't have done it that way if I could have gotten into fellowship the first time around but there were certainly benefits to the whole process playing out the way it did.
it's not a bad idea to take a chiller first year. i worked a 4 day 10 hour job, didn't make much but compared to residency it was insane money. i spent the free day studying for orals and felt better after knocking it out.
 
It seems like you are an absolute pro at understanding the ins and out of the locums market!

Question: I’m thinking about jumping into doing locums in Eureka. Cardiac and Gen. what would you consider a good comp package for me to pull the trigger? Thank you, I appreciate your knowledge on this!
 
It seems like you are an absolute pro at understanding the ins and out of the locums market!

Question: I’m thinking about jumping into doing locums in Eureka. Cardiac and Gen. what would you consider a good comp package for me to pull the trigger? Thank you, I appreciate your knowledge on this!
1. Is there even a need for locums in eureka?

That’s what have to find first

2. It helps if you are “insider” to get you push through with locums
 
I don't do full time Locums. Neither do the guys making 1.5-2 million. We all have a base w2 job than add Locums on top of that. That's why I stress the jobs with big vacation times and than do Locums on top of the base w2 job.

I will hit 7 figures by October. I don't know if I will make what they make by end of the year. Plan on taking thanksgiving and xmas week off with the kids. Will take 9 full weeks for 2024. A few mini trips here and there with 3 day weekends.

I do my damage over the weekends. That's money ball. 140K with 25 days worked this month, but next month I'm taking a break with kids back in school so down to 80k for 13 days worked. I may back fill a few days.
So I currently have a full-time W-2 job which has a lot of vacation, and am looking to supplementing income with locums jobs on some of the vacation weeks. I was hoping for some more insight into this. How are you finding your gigs? I've been looking on Gaswork, but it appears the jobs within driving distance for me are few and far between. Is there another way you have gone about locating jobs that possibly I'm not aware of? I'd appreciate any advice you have in this area! Thanks!
 
So I currently have a full-time W-2 job which has a lot of vacation, and am looking to supplementing income with locums jobs on some of the vacation weeks. I was hoping for some more insight into this. How are you finding your gigs? I've been looking on Gaswork, but it appears the jobs within driving distance for me are few and far between. Is there another way you have gone about locating jobs that possibly I'm not aware of? I'd appreciate any advice you have in this area! Thanks!
There is no magic formula. Some side hustle.
Jobs come and goes. Never get comfortable unless u want to be near the Canadian border towns etc

When you mean driving distance. I consider anything within 2 hours driving distance.

Some people don’t want to drive more than an hour.

I usually stay within a 60 min range.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There is no magic formula. Some side hustle.
Jobs come and goes. Never get comfortable unless u want to be near the Canadian border towns etc

When you mean driving distance. I consider anything within 2 hours driving distance.

Some people don’t want to drive more than an hour.

I usually stay within a 60 min range.
Yeah, I'd definitely consider a 2-hr drive for the right gig. Are you mainly findings jobs on gaswork, or do you contact locums companies directly?
 
Yeah, I'd definitely consider a 2-hr drive for the right gig. Are you mainly findings jobs on gaswork, or do you contact locums companies directly?
Honestly I don’t even look on gaswork. I’m sure they are on there when I cross check them

Usually it’s just word of mouth. Sometimes u get blast mass texts as well.
 
1. Is there even a need for locums in eureka?

That’s what have to find first

2. It helps if you are “insider” to get you push through with locums
They are always looking.

The problem for them is that Eureka is hard to get to. Only flights to there are from SFO or LAX and sometimes they get cancelled if there's any fog cover (near oregon border).

375 seems now considering that it takes basically a full day of travel there and back... Thoughts?
 
A little off topic for Eureka:

I did cardiac locums there a long long time ago and it is very hard to get to. Last I checked Comp Health quoted $300/hr. Have they upped rate?

 
Locums agency offering $3000/24hr weekend call Fri-Sat-Sun, each 24hrs is $3,000 with extra pay $375/hr after doc gets called back after 4hrs of hospital work. That's $125/hr if you don't get called back in. If you get called in the additional $375/hr doesn't kick in until after 4hrs of work. This sounds like a low offer to me. Thoughts?
 
Locums agency offering $3000/24hr weekend call Fri-Sat-Sun, each 24hrs is $3,000 with extra pay $375/hr after doc gets called back after 4hrs of hospital work. That's $125/hr if you don't get called back in. If you get called in the additional $375/hr doesn't kick in until after 4hrs of work. This sounds like a low offer to me. Thoughts?


Yeah that’s low. Full time jobs pay significantly more than that.
 
Things are tightening up, as expected.
yeah. Lots of docs on the 1099 trail in Florida. My friend only being offered $325hr 1099 at hca

I guess that’s ok. But it’s 1.5 hrs away from his house. So unless there is calls or tons of hours involved. It’s not worth it.

Time and distance for work

Another locums doc only has 4 shifts next month so he’s scrambling.

So if you are 100% 1099. U gotta keep ur foot in the door at multiple places. Plus it helps to not have 2 baby mommas and 5 kids and 3 different homes to pay for …. I’m just trolling my friend he got too many expenses.
 
One contract I previously had was $4800 for holding pager and then $450/hr when called in.

Depends on your own local market but I agree that sounds low
It’s all supply and demand. And local market.

But don’t try to do (12) 5 days 7-7p locums solo. Especially tertiary care centers. That’s rough work also.

I don’t mind chill 7-5p solo (really work 7-12p) but paid for all 10 hours. On weekends So I don’t case 24hr all the time. 10 min from my house. Still go out to dinner with the family Saturday night.

If I’m gonna to be out of town. The hours better be worth it.

But the locums market is the so regional and varies. Something in Tennessee is different than Mississippi even though both the south

All I know is Milwaukee and Wisconsin. Is always looking. Must be crap show there.
 
I have to assume locums in Iowa are doing well. I got an email last week offering a $300k sign on bonus. They didn't say how long you had to sign your life away for that.

Screenshot_20250303_143150_Gmail.jpg
 
yeah. Lots of docs on the 1099 trail in Florida. My friend only being offered $325hr 1099 at hca

I guess that’s ok. But it’s 1.5 hrs away from his house. So unless there is calls or tons of hours involved. It’s not worth it.

Time and distance for work

Another locums doc only has 4 shifts next month so he’s scrambling.

So if you are 100% 1099. U gotta keep ur foot in the door at multiple places. Plus it helps to not have 2 baby mommas and 5 kids and 3 different homes to pay for …. I’m just trolling my friend he got too many expenses.
Depends on how you negotiate initially and the state of the facility. Some places have consistent needs, others temporary. Find consistent needs, low desirability places. They’re in every state
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Depends on how you negotiate initially and the state of the facility. Some places have consistent needs, others temporary. Find consistent needs, low desirability places. They’re in every state
Correct. I like to be in urban places 10-15 from Apple Store with access to gig fiber service. I can’t stand the boonies. Where phone service barely works or 5-10 min from the beach.

Most of the consistent money is all rural areas areas but sometimes rural is only 30-45 min from major city suburbs.
 
Correct. I like to be in urban places 10-15 from Apple Store with access to gig fiber service. I can’t stand the boonies. Where phone service barely works or 5-10 min from the beach.

Most of the consistent money is all rural areas areas but sometimes rural is only 30-45 min from major city suburbs.
I love the boonies. Patients less demanding, generally more respect and better teamwork. Pros and cons!
 
yeah. Lots of docs on the 1099 trail in Florida. My friend only being offered $325hr 1099 at hca

I guess that’s ok. But it’s 1.5 hrs away from his house. So unless there is calls or tons of hours involved. It’s not worth it.

Time and distance for work

Another locums doc only has 4 shifts next month so he’s scrambling.

So if you are 100% 1099. U gotta keep ur foot in the door at multiple places. Plus it helps to not have 2 baby mommas and 5 kids and 3 different homes to pay for …. I’m just trolling my friend he got too many expenses.
Even 325 is workable if you can get hours.

I think availability of hours is the litmus test of the locums market. Places that are nervous for coverage will throw 10s and 12s guaranteed. Places with more consistency will throw 8s. The needs of these places are different.

A marginally higher number is great, but the multiplier is the most importsnt part.